Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I'm a big fan of those trailers as well. Lots of great actors in both and I'm really interested in Argo's story. Gangster Squad's trailer really got me excited to see it. I disagree with the rap music detractors. I don't need a film trailer to immerse me in its environment, I need it to get me amped up for the film and Jay Z's a drat good choice in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Robert Denby posted:

Here is the trailer in question. Notice how unusual it is. No narration, no music, no title.

Crazy. It's more like a demo reel to tell audiences to shut the gently caress up.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Android Bicyclist posted:

Another one that bothers me is The Negotiator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XyyPQERH7E
A possible powerful scene (Kevin Spacey teams up with Samuel L. Jackson) is spoiled right in the trailer.

I saw trailers for The Negotiator so many times on TV when it came out that Spacey's "I wonder why that is!" is all I can think of when I think of that movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Robert Denby posted:

Seeing "The Dictator" yesterday, I was very surprised that most of the trailer is footage that doesn't appear in the film or just made up of alternate takes (for instance, the groan-worthy Kardashian joke isn't in the movie, neither is the very first shot of Cohen). Also, what is covered in the trailer is literally just the first ten minutes of the movie.

I was completely shocked when I saw a trailer that showed him having to be normal, get a job, meeeting Anna Faris, etc. Like, I did not expect the movie to look like Ethnic Arthur, so good for them for keeping it a secret for so long I guess.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Bugblatter posted:

Gatsby actually looks really good, didn't expect that. Both music cues are great, by the way.

Yeah, I really liked both songs in it too. Worked well for the shift in the trailer.

I was excited for this film for DiCaprio, Mulligan and Edgerton mainly but now I'm just straight-up into checking out Baz Luhrmann's interpretation.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

mind the walrus posted:

How the hell did he shoot some of those establishing shots with all the neon signs then? That can't have been cheap.

I think that's part of the city shots he was talking about.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I liked the trailer and I liked the singing. Obviously it wasn't Lea Michele-good, but Hathaway's a great actress. Why bother doing a new version of the film and sticking to the same-old?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Going off of that, I know tons of former drama nerds who will see the film just so they can bitch about the performances and that their favourite cast member isn't in the film.

So maybe it's actually a genius marketing move!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yoshifan823 posted:

A friend posted on Facebook tonight that Rock of Ages looks awful, and another friend posted that she wasn't impressed by the cast because they aren't Musical Theatre people (or at least the awesome part of the cast that I named).

But gently caress you, Tom Cruise is awesome.

That's weird. Isn't Rock of Ages basically Glee-style karaoke rock songs anyway? Tom Cruise is easily gonna be the best thing in that movie.

See, I want reactions like that. I posted the trailer and most people have been positive. :(

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Jedit posted:

Don't do it.

Imma do it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Robert Denby posted:

The teaser for JJ Abrams' "Star Trek 2" just dropped in out of loving nowhere. It's trying really hard to be the trailer for the first that played before "Cloverfield", but it... doesn't quite work in my opinion.

That's not even close to being real though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Robert Denby posted:

:sigh:

In my defense, it's from movieclips, which as far as I know doesn't usually pull poo poo like this, but I should have looked further at the fine print and seen the words 'fan trailer' several times in the description. Sorry guys.

It's actually not an awful fake. If they did a better job with Cumberbatch at the end, tightened up the shots of Chris Pine and removed all of the incredibly silly Alien: Resurrection it would have appeared to be one of those show-nothing fakes.

The sad part is, you're now in the company of Harry Knowles by believing it was real.

The good part: you're not actually Harry Knowles.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

kiimo posted:

Awesome. So awesome.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

One of the strangest, funniest audience reactions to a trailer I've seen was the full-body groan/laughs when "From The Mind of M Night Shyamalan", or whatever, appears during the trailer for Devil.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Jedit posted:

... he said, admitting he had not seen Lady In The Water or The Village.

Nothing strange about people groaning at the thought of a movie from the arse of M Night Shyamalan.

Yeah, I just thought it was funny and strange that apparently most theatres had that happen. Like, I saw videos of it (the)happening online and was surprised at how pervasive his suckiness has become.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

bullet3 posted:

Not a bad movie by any stretch, but vastly over-rated in my opinion, and worse than most of the original series Star Trek films.

You're saying all of the original Trek movies are good? Woof. I dunno, boss. I'd say Star Trek 09, Wrath of Khan and Galaxy Quest are the best Star Trek movies by a large stretch.

Here, to keep it on topic, check out the teaser trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkZFWr0vR8Q

Soooo good. I will compliment you for not ragging on len flare. I loved the lens flare.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Couple of trailers out:

Killing Them Softly. Director of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford working with Pitt again and bringing along James Gandolfini, Richard Jenkins, Ben Mendelsohn and Sam Shepard? I'm really, really sold. Heard great things about it and the trailer works for me.

The Paperboy. I've read extremely mixed reviews about this one, which almost makes me more excited. I like checking out divisive films. I don't know if the trailer does it for me, but I love the sweaty, raunchy, Southern look of the film and I want to see those actors camp it up. Could be an interesting failure.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 2, 2012

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

feedmyleg posted:

I'm surprised at the tone. Based on Assassination I was expecting something more meditative again. I'm going in cautious on this, since Assassination is one of my favorite films of all time and my expectations are going to really have to be reigned in.

It doesn't seem as meditative, but it does seem dour-as-gently caress and industrial. Apparently it's got some overtones of American decline, which is sort of shown in the trailer with Pitt's awesome final line: "I'm living in America, and in America you're on your own".

Assassination is a dope-rear end movie, I'll agree with you there for sure.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Max22 posted:

drat, you got my hopes up. No Sam Rockwell, unfortunately.

Yeah, sorry :( Must've gotten confused and misread Sam Shepard.

bows1 posted:

Brad Pitt always looks so cool.

^The truth.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Jewmanji posted:

I mean for god's sake, it's called "Zero Dark Thirty", if that's not supposed to appeal to the Modern Warfare demographic with it's struck-through text I don't know what is. Purely from a writer's standpoint, what story is there to tell in that bit of history? Is it going to be a cautionary tale about the limits of American military might, with a final shot of the twin towers in the background a la Munich, or is it likely just going to be a celebration of our soldiers and their commitment to looking cool while killing folks.

Who cares what it's supposed to be until we finally see the end product. Based on The Hurt Locker, Bigelow isn't exactly non-critical of the military. And how is the blacked-out text being revealed an indication of anything other then a lack of faith in the military industrial complex?

Jewmanji posted:

edit: I resent the implication on the part of this film and its creators that I will somehow be "entertained" by a re-enactment of OBL being shot in the head. Though of course ticket sales will prove me wrong, people are going to flock to this.

This movie was in production before Osama Bin Laden was killed, so I doubt it's going to be an enteraining view at OBL taking a round to the head. It may include the raid/death of Bin Laden, but there's obviously going to be more to it. I'm definitely interested in the film, based on the director, subject matter and awesome cast.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

ProfessorProf posted:

I really, really hope that Pacific Rim doesn't turn out to be Cloverfield with Robots.

I hope it's not good too.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah I'm so down for this movie as long as it's in the Knocked Up/Pineapple Express/Superbad vein, and judging by that teaser it will be.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Jedit posted:

Could I be wrong? Of course. And even if I'm not there's no reason why you shouldn't go see it if you want and make up your own mind. But when we've seen remakes of Halloween, The Fog, Nightmare on Elm Street, Black Christmas, and many other classics of the period and each and every one of them has been an apocalyptic turd, and when the trailer for Evil Dead looks no better, I don't think it's unfair to presume.

Halloween, Halloween II, The Hills Have Eyes, (arguably)Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Last House on the Left, Friday the 13th, The Crazies = good horror remakes.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Isn't there a movie coming out that's basically that but with Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I will see all these White House hostage movies.

Right?

Can't wait to see which one is Armageddon and which one is Deep Impact.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'll give you a hint: Morgan Freeman is the (acting) President in Olympus has Fallen.

True. Poor Morgan Freeman, always President in poo poo movies.

I know I won't be able to watch the Channing Tatum/Jamie Foxx one without picturing Foxx's character as a descendant of Django now.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I like the idea of modern-day Shakespeare, especially with that cast and shot in black and white. But holy poo poo... like, I've never seen b&w look flatter and uglier. It looks...accidental or something.

Who was Whedon's DP on Serenity? Because that movie actually looks good, aside from the final fight.

\/\/\/Well that sounds about right.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 8, 2013

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

drat, I shouldn't have watched that. I'm pissed I can't see the movie right this drat second.

I'm seeing some Strangelove, some Godfather 3, a weird Total Recall/Terminator 2 vibe in some spots... I love it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

ManifunkDestiny posted:

The "Armageddon" to Olympus has Fallen's "Deep Impact", White House Down, has a trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekireB_P-U0

God I wanna see these so badly.

I've been anticipating Pain & Gain for the longest time, and I actually just read the original article the movie's based on earlier today. The cast is amazing and "I'll be your stepfather in about a week" is a perfect Wahlberg line.

And regarding White House Down: Jamie Foxx and Channing Tatum vs. Aaron Eckhart and Gerard Butler? No competition. White House Down wins.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

live with fruit posted:

Having also read the original article, it's a little jarring to see a story about how two sociopaths tortured a guy for weeks to get his life savings adapted into a slapstick action-comedy.

I don't mind it being a comedy or over-the-top. As horrifying as the torture and murder, there are some very, very darkly funny aspects to the story. The only thing that really irks me is that they're using Lugo and Doorbal's real names. If they wind up being the pieces of poo poo they really are then I'm down with their names being kept...but if they're represented as some kind of down-on-their-luck guys who broke bad it'll probably bug me.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Mark Wahlberg being Mark Wahlberg and Denzel being Denzel?

I'm sold on it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

muscles like this? posted:

Well it certainly looks better than the second one. Although I'm not sure why exactly they needed to make it so Doug couldn't participate yet again.

As much as I enjoy Justin Bartha, that trailer actually made Doug sitting out loop back around to funny for me. Just John Goodman being all "We're taking this guy whose never in on your hijinks" like he knows what's up worked for me.

I also enjoyed Phil making sure Alan got the photo of him dangling from the roof.

I'm cautiously optimistic, I find it hard to believe they could waste that talent for a second time.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

therealjon_ posted:

Wait, I thought the dude from Community died in the last one? What the hell?

You may not have watched it all the way through. Understandably.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

As great as that trailer is, the best part is easily Russel Crowe's glorious hair.

Maybe that's why flat, limp-haired Zod is so pissed at the El's. Their superior follicle genes.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Gonz posted:

Oh I absolutely agree. The Day After Tomorrow, 10,000 BC and 2012 were hot garbage, and he's certainly not going to win any Oscars anytime soon, but for the most part, the guy gives people what they want in summer action flicks, and that's tons of poo poo blowing up intermixed with absurd CGI and big name actors. I can't fault him for that.

I don't care if he wins Oscars, I want him to make good summer action movies and he hasn't in a long-rear end time.

That being said this movie looks boss. It's already beaten Olympus Has Fallen by having waaayyy more interesting leads. If the movie has the easygoing charm it's exhibiting in that trailer I can't wait to see it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

degauss posted:

Well, I went from having minimal interest to not being able to wait to see White House Down now. I've always thought a film with a president as an action hero would be gloriously dumb, and I'm happy that it's finally happening (unless it already has and I've missed it).

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

If there's no epilogue with Wozniak on Dancing With The Stars I'm gonna be so pissed.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I really like that teaser far better than the actual trailer.

The teaser was basically an awesome little short film. That being said, I watch whatever James Wan wants me to.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

First trailer for 12 Years a Slave, Steve McQueen's new movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmm-aazQQKA

New trailer for Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom. I'm really excited to see this, especially to see Elba doing something that isn't genre fare.

• Locked thread