Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
The big problem with that trailer is "Gimme Shelter". I mean, it's a classic song, but it should probably just be retired from trailers, because it seems like it's been in HUNDREDS OF THEM. Grraaaaah! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, though, anyone who was surprised that World War Z has been adapted into a linear narrative action thriller starring Brad Pitt has too much faith in Hollywood.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Animal Kingdom was loving great. I was so happy and surprised when Jacki Weaver got an Oscar nomination. I mean, of course the Oscars are bullshit, but then sometimes they're not. Since Animal Kingdom, both Weaver and Ben Mendelsohn, the other standout of the film, have picked up quite a few good roles in American films.
The Rover looks great. Guy Pearce rules.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

kiimo posted:

I'm starting to sound like a broken record. Hate the cue. Hate that it was looped a billion times. Fox: good movies, jacked up marketing department.

Oh and I just found out that Fincher cut that Gone Girl trailer himself.

I dislike it because I feel like they just should have gone with a whole section of Kashmir rather than using the same musical cue from it over and over, and it would have totally worked. gently caress IT IT'S THE 70's.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Green Crayons posted:

What's funny about the trailer edit is that you see the doggie hyper punch, and then there's a two/three second break -- just long enough for you to tell yourself "haha they're trying to show you that these dudes are bad dudes with attitude because they punched a dog. Okay, I can roll with it."

And then you see a shovel and a homemade burial, and they stepped it up to dog death by punch. "Oh, poo poo. Okay. Not just beating up a pet, but killing the pet. Sure." It ups the silliness of the situation by being a bolded, double underline tag saying "these are bad dudes with bad attitudes," but it's still within the realm of not too crazy poo poo.

AND THEN, wham bam not only was that his dog, it was the last parting gift from his dead wife! It's mashing up all the motivation hooks of the genre -- injury to loveable pet; death of a friend; memories of deceased partner -- thrown up on a billboard with flashing neon lights practically screaming "WE WANTED A COOL MOTIVATION FOR OUR PROTAGONIST."

Like I said, I'm going to see this movie (for free, on Netflix). But it's like they kept going "and then . . . , and then . . . " when spitballing ideas as to just why in the hell Neo needs to gently caress some people up. Frankly, if the dog's name isn't November, to coincide with the wife's November death, and has November Rain playing on bagpipes at his funeral, I'm going to be disappointed.

I refuse to believe the goofiness is unintentional. They had to know how silly it would be, having a guy go on a rampage because his dog got killed and his nice car was stolen. and, I mean, if it was straightforward, unironic, it'd be, like, Cusack or Willis or Neeson. But Reeves is an underrated master of deadpan comedy. People forget, "I know kung fu" was intended to be incredibly funny.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

BlueBayou posted:

I find it bewildering that they are advertising Tomorrowland by pointing out Brad Bird directed MI: Ghost Protocol. Why not go with Ratatouille and The Iron Giant?

Although looking at it, Ghost Protocol was quite the success. So I guess I stand corrected

Because Mission:Impossible:Ghost Protocol was AWESOME. :colbert:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

kiimo posted:

The campaign for U.N.C.L.E. was taken from my boss at WB and given to the guy who did the Superman and American Sniper campaigns because they absolutely must have this film be successful. It's a shame because my boss' trailer was much better and not nearly as busy. There is a lot of humor in this, Guy Ritchie-style.

It's still a pretty fun trailer. Before watching it I thought the movie was going to bomb. Now I don't.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Hard to believe one of the most anticipated movies of the year could be a fourth Mad Max, but this is the timeline we live in. fffffuck yes.
If it was just Hardy subbing in for Gibson I'd have reservations, but Charlize Theron is the second lead, so everything is awesome. And I love Nicholas Hoult, too! The absolute relish with which he says "WHAT A LOVELY DAY!" just cracks me up.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Hey, one of the main character's friends is the kid from The Grand Budapest Hotel. Awesome!

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I'd love if there were a thread only for discussion of upcoming Star Wars stuff, but of course this forum would ruin it within a page.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

That doesn't look as drop-dead gorgeous as Skyfall, but Skyfall is such a high bar in that regard that it would have been nigh on impossible to match or surpass it. Still looks pretty solid, and Christoph Waltz just seems so right as a Bond villain.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I dunno, I just enjoyed Zoolander a lot the first time I saw it, then saw it again by chance on TV, and loved it more, and I don't think my liking of it has ever declined on any subsequent viewings. It helps that it's really quotable. And the gasoline fight is loving hilarious.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I will say that Reynolds' Deadpool voice is pretty drat close to what I imagined Deadpool's voice would sound like - high-pitched, a bit dorky, kinda like an ADHD kid.
and the costume is the most comic accurate costume ever.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Corek posted:

Deadpool is releasing in February, so that should tell you what Fox thinks of it.

They view it as a movie that will do best when isolated from any major competition, rather than lost in the summer shuffle or humiliated by better-made big budget movies in the fall/winter. January's still a dead zone, but February can be good.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Hmmm. It looks a bit cartoony, but OTOH Cranston looks like he's having the time of his life, and it doesn't look like the film is taking itself that seriously. I can see the "lol Oscarbait" reaction, but it seems a tad too irreverent for that.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I remember in the early 2000's when there were like, five Jungle Book movies. I'm exaggerating...I think.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

kiimo posted:

Mortgage brokers and lenders pushed like crazy to refinance everyone during the interest rate drop and sell them on consolidating their credit card debt with their equity they had built up in their house over the years. So now their new mortgage is big again and all the lenders are forcing their employees to try to put everyone on a 2/5 ARM (which makes the lenders and brokers the most money), where their note rate is fixed for two years but has a pre-payment penalty for five years. I absolutely refused to sell these mortgages and thus got fired from three different companies over the span of three years.

The problem is after the fixed rate period of 2 years, suddenly their rate fluctuates wildly (and almost always goes up) and will do so for the following three years. After three years they can refinance. I was told to tell people don't be alarmed, it was capped at 2% maximum it could go up each year. After some research I found this out to be a bullshit lie. So now people are in the situation where their mortgage payment was skyrocketing. They can't pay their mortgage but hey guess what they can't refinance again, either, because of the pre-payment penalty for five years, hence the 2/5 ARM which is an Adjusted Rate Mortgage fixed for 2 years, with a PPP for 5. Their only choice is to sell their home. But wait, what if nobody is buying? Welp, your only course of action left is to let the lender foreclose or declare bankruptcy. So you lose your home and your credit is hosed for 7 years.

You may have heard about foreclosures and bankruptcies during that time. That's a major cause for the collapse. People with iffy credit struggling to pay off their debts get loans that are a time bomb. Lenders knew that they were screwing people over long-term to help them with revolving debt in the short term. It was bullshit and I was told to let them make their own financial mistakes, it was none of my business what loan they selected. I refused. Most of these people had little to no idea what they were getting into because it was in the best interest of the brokers not to tell them the full implications of the loan. They were just rushing them through the process as fast as possible and hoping the underwriter approved and got them out the door, consequences be damned.

Pure evil.
GOOD POST. :3:
and that's why you made a career change to movie advertising, right?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

kiimo posted:

Golden Globes are important because they're a barometer for how Oscar voting is likely to go. That's the only reason people immediately jump on GG noms in advertising.

And sorry, not trying to start an argument.

FWIW, two points. First, she was nominated for Comedy Actress. Second, her film, Joy, has been getting mixed reviews, to the point there's some doubt she will be nominated.
sorry I am a film awards nerd, it is a sickness. :smith:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

I think it at least has their best trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66nCTywNCMM

Still one of the best trailers ever, IMO. And pretty accurate to the film, in a sense. A Serious Man is probably the Coens' most abstract film.

Hail Caesar! looks like one of their goof-off films, like Burn After Reading. really looking forward to enjoying the unabashed chaotic silliness.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

For all of the crazy bright acid-house stuff in their publicity material, the shots from the film itself looks pretty dark.

it looks dark with splashes of neon colors here and there, which is a nice aesthetic.

anyway who the gently caress dislikes Bohemian Rhapsody? That trailer was perfect, and used a perfect song perfectly. :colbert:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

kiimo posted:

Netflix is developing a live-action Zelda TV show billed as a "Game of Thrones for the whole family" as if that was a thing that could ever exist. So if it's any consolation the fantasy genre is as tired and bloated as the comic book one. In fact pick a genre and we're pretty saturated already.

For instance, cop procedurals.

Well, I feel like slapstick comedies are due for a comeback, as a refreshing change of pace. The few slapstick-ish movies I've seen recently have been animation (Shaun the Sheep comes to mind). That can and should change!

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Young Freud posted:

I think that the problem is that the Cal-Arts style has moved from the 2D animation and into 3D. It's pretty much why most 3D-animated films tend to look the same. I'd love to see something done in the style of Japanese artists like Yoshiyuki Yasuhiko or Yoshiaki Kawajiri or French artists Enki Bilal or Moebius.

I for one loving loved Rango (like, I wrote an essay on why I loved it so much for a contest giveaway on a movie blog, and won a DVD of it), and I think it represents a possible new direction forward in terms of greater stylization, with a willingness to be uglier and dirtier when necessary. The PIXAR/Dreamworks style is too clean, too round, too smooth. Of course that way's cheaper and easier to model, but as the technology gets better, the round soft style won't be that much cheaper anymore, and we'll see some really interesting things.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

I think it has gotten to a point where I looped back around and enjoy those kind of moody covers again. I'd almost be tempted to create a Spotify playlist featuring all of them. I don't think that patient zero (the Creep cover from trailer for The Social Network) is on there though.

https://open.spotify.com/track/6wBl9qe04TSVSTEwWoR0hf

It totally is.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

kiimo posted:

The poster thread and the trailer thread are talking about cues. I wonder if we should have a music in film thread.

I feel like some goons notice music in film way more than I do. Like some people will have movies ruined for them based on the score. I don't even notice usually.

btw, is there a good resources for finding out if a particular song has been used in a film, and if so, what film?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

It's amazing how much more charming and likable Casey is than his brother.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

BlueBayou posted:

Feels like Its a Wonderful Life

I hope they really are death love and time, and not just actors hired by his friends or something

They're totally actors hired by his friends

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Jewmanji posted:

Here's the 2.5 minute teaser for Ben Affleck's next directing gig, the Dennis Lehane adaptation Live by Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwejneg3sCM

hmmm, looks good, but Affleck shoulda cast someone else in the lead. Saldana's doing an interesting accent, I can't place it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Spergatory posted:

I've heard of bottle episodes, but it looks to me like Free Fire is an entire bottle movie. Is the entire film set in that one room? Because that's interesting, at the very least.

Chamber pieces, they're called, and when done well, they're magnificent. although usually it's a dialogue between two people in a room, and not a lengthy gunfight in a warehouse.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

My favorite war movie is Shenandoah, where Jimmy Stewart and his family are all like "no, gently caress your war, I hate both sides, stay off my property." :mad:
and it's really ham-handed, sure, but the tone of the film is sorta actively contemptuous of war and the people that think fighting wars is a damned good idea. I think war films that are about soldiers have a difficult time not being pro-war, and true anti-war films either have to be relentlessly miserable, or focus on civilians who are hosed over.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I certainly agree. But I think a lot of people go into it hearing about how it is one of the greatest animated films, and come out the other end disappointed or underwhelmed. Hell, I rewatched it a couple years ago, having not watched it since I was in middle school, expecting to 'finally' get it. It was fine, but it was where I realized that it's reputation has certainly gotten away from itself. My post is more expectation control than a definitive statement about it's quality than anything.

I was distracted by the lousy dub. I should probably just watch the subtitled version instead.

but really, the anime is SO MUCH BETTER.

Is Innocence good? I have it on DVD and I've been meaning to watch it one of these days.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I dunno, both Fist Fight and Cat Fight look like some garbage to me. Like, not-worth-a-trailer level garbage.

Fist Fight looks almost worth it just for Jillian Bell, who looks like she's having a ball.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

kiimo posted:

Iñárritu does a lot of them too.

But I mean, filmmakers have a history of cutting awesome trailers that don't always put butts in seats. Gore is the first one I've heard of cutting spots for specific territories. Like he's researching Korea and cutting specifically for them.

Gore Verbinski is awesome, and a supremely underrated filmmaker. He gets a bad rap because of the Pirates sequels, but there's not really much he could've done about those, and he directed them with flair. But he did one of the best animated films of the 21st century so far, the first Pirates, and the underappreciated comedy classic Mouse Hunt. And The Ring!
okay, and The Lone Ranger wasn't great shakes either, but like the Pirates sequels, it was a bad movie with a lot of good filmmaking going on within it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

Don't worry, Robin Hood: Origins just started filming and set photos show that they're tackling the Crusades. Whew!

To be fair, the story of Robin Hood is set during one of the crusades, and the rightful king, Richard the Lionhearted, has buggered off to go fight in the Middle East, leaving the uber-rear end in a top hat Prince John in charge.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

kiimo posted:

Lars Von Trier makes good movies. Nobody sees them except this forum.

and the weirdos on the movie forum I post at, who worship at the altar of Dogville and Melancholia.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

kiimo posted:

More disturbing is people saying The Force Awakens sucks while simultaneously waxing poetic about Transformers and Fast & The Furious.

I don't like Transformers in the slightest, and have only seen two movies from the Fast/Furious universe, but Force Awakens is not a good movie. It is technically competent. Mostly. It has good sound design? It has a few somewhat interesting characters? But overall it's mediocre, and that's worse than the prequels, which are endlessly fascinating in what a fiasco they are. Like, at this point, we still talk about the prequels more than TFA. there just isn't much to say, because TFA has nothing under the hood.

The thing is, this forum likes things that lend themselves to discussion. So Avengers sucks because there's not much you can say about it beyond sharing quotes, and doing what SMG did: showing why it's poorly shot.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Dillbag posted:

Someone made money on Pete's Dragon?

I hope so, it was terrific. the dragon was so cute! :3:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

kiimo posted:

RT, Metacritic and Academy Awards are no indication of quality.

/cinema discusso

but that's an accurate statement, from a certain perspective. If someone's tastes are not aligned with what generally gets accolades, to them those indicators won't be particularly valuable. I mean, American Beauty is a Best Picture winner, and nobody will ever succeed in convincing me it isn't godawful, and in ways that should be immediately obvious to people.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

I'd just watch that scene go on for two hours, with none of the other characters saying a word.

same. I appreciate Liam Neeson doing the old man action thing, but it's great to see him doing something serious. When he really puts forth the effort, he can be electric.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

kiimo posted:

I'm unfamiliar how DNA evolution works but maybe as an exercise someone should invent an alien without DNA or based on carbon.

in Evolution, the forgotten David Duchovny & Julianne Moore-starring sci-fi comedy, the aliens are nitrogen-based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Samovar posted:

What if Agatha Christie wrote Groundhog day? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBrB6C5OFgk.

Dumb name, but it looks kinda interesting.

meh. Speaking of Mystery Groundhog Day, the TV show Day Break did it better, although it was a conspiracy thriller mystery rather than slasher horror mystery. The coolest twist on the trope was that the protagonist's injuries would carry over to the next day, so if he died, he died. and that the way he treated people could subtly and then not so subtly alter their behavior on subsequent cycles. very cool. It leaves things unexplained because it didn't get a second season, but the main mystery is resolved in a satisfying way.

• Locked thread