Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«1228 »
BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

From everything I've read, this poo poo ain't gonna last at all. All new alt coins and even Eth(the current darling of miners) are all about Proof of stake(i.e. Not mining). Eth was supposed to move to PoS this year but well, cryptocurrency 🕺🏻

NVIDIA cards are best mining zCash anyway which has no plans to go PoS. Would be interesting so see NVIDIA cards becoming the better mining choice when Eth goes PoS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

I'm the tortoise in the race, but I'm a joyful tortoise.

Yeah with Nicehash my cards have already been mining Eth less and less often over time.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

If Nvidia becomes the card of choice for mining nobody will buy amd cards

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

If consumer Volta turns out to a mining champ, AMD's ~18% dGPU marketshare in 2015 would look like a utopia by then.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012

I can't imagine why it wouldn't be since eth is one of the only coins that doesn't do best on CUDA miners afaik and it's eventually going to freeze the gently caress over and/or go PoS. Especially with the rumor that Volta is keeping GDDR5X I'd say everything about how well those cards are going to mine is basically a known quantity sloping up from the 1080ti.

AMD might still hold value/hash king if Polaris cards ever touch MSRP again though. They're just drat cheap for the amount of grunt they pack.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care

Nap Ghost

I'm looking forward to a year from now when we're all complaining about not being able to buy a Volta card because of buttminers and our gaming PCs are all crossfired $90 580s.

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

"Tell me of your home world, Usul"

Krailor posted:

I'm looking forward to a year from now when we're all complaining about not being able to buy a Volta card because of buttminers and our gaming PCs are all crossfired $90 580s.

invest in freesync IPS 1440p monitors, buy low sell high

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'M DISAPPOINTED THAT CORTANA WILL BE A CIRCLE AND NOT THE ACTUAL SEXY WOMAN FROM THE GAME.

Cygni posted:

I don't think we really need to rely on rumors, the Vega Frontier Edition is 300W on air and 375W for the liquid. I imagine thats what the gaming cards will be at too (for the 16gig version anyway), since its the same silicon.

I want to see how apple manages to keep it cool in their imac pro.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

Isnt their MO to underclock undervolt to keep cool in mac book pros? Should be the same in an imac I would assume

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Don Lapre posted:

1080p gamers. Hell, Freesync is a nice thing to have even on a low end 1080p display just because you get rid of the tears without inducing the lag.

I'm looking for a 1070 for Hackintosh related reasons and putting the dream of a nice monitor on hold (I should just wait until High Sierra but I can't go cardless that long), but if I wasn't into running OSX I think Freesync would keep me loyal to AMD at least until Nvidia's eventual adoption.

Regrettable
Jan 4, 2010

CFox posted:

Right now the top 3 sold 1070 listings on ebay in the US are 510, 530, 700. They're generally selling for around $500 except for clueless people that list them for less.

drat, I just bought an Asus Dual 1070 for $360 about a month ago. I'm very tempted to sell it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

The Lord Bude posted:

I want to see how apple manages to keep it cool in their imac pro.

As mentioned, underclocking/undervolting, and then probably just letting them run a bit hotter internally than most of us would be comfortable with. Apple has never really been all that interested in chasing any sort of performance crown (or even honorable mention), so if an Apple-version GPU has to be neutered by 20% compared to a generic version in order to not melt the case, then that's what they'll do. Hell, they'll do it and tell you they "optimized it" with a straight face.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Is it even possible to drive a monitor at >60Hz on Mac yet? The last time I looked into it, some years ago, it involved patching support into the OS by modifying some system library.

eames
May 9, 2009

165 Hz worked fine with a Pascal card and the latest web drivers when I tested it, even G-Sync is supported (although only full screen from what I can tell).

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

People will buy anything if the price is right.

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

"Tell me of your home world, Usul"

Can someone quantify how much the RX 480 4 GB's slower memory hurts it vs the 8 GB in gaming? IIRC the Samsung stuff on the 8 GB usually overclocks farther too?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

College Slice

Paul MaudDib posted:

Can someone quantify how much the RX 480 4 GB's slower memory hurts it vs the 8 GB in gaming? IIRC the Samsung stuff on the 8 GB usually overclocks farther too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjTUtUF6gxg#t=105s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

~perfect~
battlebrother

DrDork posted:

As mentioned, underclocking/undervolting, and then probably just letting them run a bit hotter internally than most of us would be comfortable with. Apple has never really been all that interested in chasing any sort of performance crown (or even honorable mention), so if an Apple-version GPU has to be neutered by 20% compared to a generic version in order to not melt the case, then that's what they'll do. Hell, they'll do it and tell you they "optimized it" with a straight face.
it also helps that AMD cards downvolt hilariously well because of overvolting and overclocking 50% more watts to squeeze 8% more performance out

«1228 »