Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wow canít wait to get an RTX 3060 for $624.99 from best buy

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-12gb-xlr8-gaming-revel-epic-x-rgb-single-fan-graphics-card/6454318.p?skuId=6454318

Can I invest in GPUs instead of stocks somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

OhFunny posted:

To throw another stick on the pile: Samsung, TSMC chip production at risk amid water shortages

Samsung's S2 Fab in Austin, Texas. Which already had to cease production due to the rolling power blackouts is now suffering from a water shortage due to the freezing of local rivers and water supply networks.

Taiwan meanwhile is in serve drought and the government has ordered rationing due to the water reservoir falling below 20%. TSMC is contracting water trucks to try to maintain production levels at it's factories.

Lol at multiple global crises rolling together into a Katamari Damacy of disaster

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

So it's 5AM, then, I guess.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

hobbesmaster posted:

Can I invest in GPUs instead of stocks somehow

Nvidia's stock was at $180 in march. It is at $580 at the moment.

e: (im not recommending everyone jump into the market right now and obvi thats distorted by the crash this time last year!!)

Cygni fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 25, 2021

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lol at multiple global crises rolling together into a Katamari Damacy of disaster
Don't worry, when the typhoons return they will also take out facilities and drive the prices even higher.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Get the fuck in your cage and shut the fuck up, you stupid fucking Mexicans. Your voice doesn't fucking matter unless you support OUR rapist.

OBAMA DID NOTHING WRONG

Nvidia was at $570 when they announced the Ampere GeForce cards so it's not like the stock is being boosted by the current demand crunch

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Can't I pay with my life force directly instead of expending it in this elaborate buying ritual?

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

gary oldmans diary posted:

Can't I pay with my life force directly instead of expending it in this elaborate buying ritual?
Is this close enough?

mA
Jul 9, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

shrike82 posted:

can't wait to see how much higher GPU prices can go up

If things do get worse and we get to a point that used 3080s are selling for $2500-$3000, I'll have no choice but to sell and put old faithful back in my PCI slot (GT 710).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 2, 2006

"Tell me of your home world, Usul"

OhFunny posted:

To throw another stick on the pile: Samsung, TSMC chip production at risk amid water shortages

Samsung's S2 Fab in Austin, Texas. Which already had to cease production due to the rolling power blackouts is now suffering from a water shortage due to the freezing of local rivers and water supply networks.

Taiwan meanwhile is in serve drought and the government has ordered rationing due to the water reservoir falling below 20%. TSMC is contracting water trucks to try to maintain production levels at it's factories.

NVIDIA's chips are mostly (apart from enterprise) produced at Samsung's newer lines in South Korea,. S2 fab is listed on wikipedia as producing "Microprocessors, FDSOI, Foundry, NAND", not even GDDR is listed, so maybe apart from worsening the generalized situation for things like VRM circuitry this isn't going to have much impact on NVIDIA.

Bad news for AMD though.