Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

necrobobsledder posted:

We haven't had a "killer app" in a long time besides I dunno Zoom and it's just not coming from the broader consumer gaming market that's more interested these days in graphical "powerhouses" like Minecraft, Overwatch, and Fortnite. It's not clear if there's even a possibility of a "killer app" anymore in broader consumer markets due to the weird ways that our markets have "diversified." I'd hypothesize that a killer app wouldn't happen in an already-saturated area like gaming but a potential new market category like AR with virtual hangouts in people's houses and bars made possible due to COVID. The entire idea of a "killer app" is more about market making than about transforming an already mature market I'd hazard to say.

I'm not sure how well it sold, but wasn't Star Wars Squadrons pretty well received last year (outside of chuds crying about the game's "identity politics")?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mA posted:

I'm not sure how well it sold, but wasn't Star Wars Squadrons pretty well received last year (outside of chuds crying about the game's "identity politics")?

That game is fun without VR though

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Oh, I thought it was a VR only game.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

love living in 2021 where Youtube is recommending a "24/7 Live In-Stock Alert RTX 3060/3060TI/3070/3080/3090 RX 6800/6900 Ryzen 5600x/5800x/5900x/5950x" livestream to me and there are 500 viewers on it

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

shrike82 posted:

love living in 2021 where Youtube is recommending a "24/7 Live In-Stock Alert RTX 3060/3060TI/3070/3080/3090 RX 6800/6900 Ryzen 5600x/5800x/5900x/5950x" livestream to me and there are 500 viewers on it

Well...

Are you going to share the link?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

shrike82 posted:

do they at least have background music

lo-fi beats to miss a gpu sale to

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
I'm imagining all of the cycles of anxiety, adrenaline, hope, dread, suspense, disappointment and depression behind that channel.

mA fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 1, 2021

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I tried following one of those Youtube live streams before, but by the time I had gotten the notification (a bomb warning siren lol) and then clicked the affiliate link the bot was posting, the card was already sold out. This happened several times.

So I think, at least for the 3080 drops, you still need a robutt to do it all for you.

I've seen people have success with 3070s though in the live chat.

mA posted:

I'm imagining all of the cycles of anxiety, adrenaline, hope, dread, suspense, disappointment and depression behind that channel.

lmao after hearing the bomb siren and sprinting from the other room to click a link to a sold out page 5 or so times, I decided I'd had enough.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
$1800 3090 tuf has been in stock on amazon for over 2 hours.
Its a lovely price, but worth considering over an ebay 3080 at the same price

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
AR being easier to setup because smartphones themselves have better barriers to entry have left behind a lot of things in the PC area as well. We can observe how much a decade can drive along brand new technologies given the progress of the smartphone sector alone between 2008 and 2018. Ikea's not releasing a VR app so people can touch and feel their furniture, they're pushing it out on phones so people can quickly see how furniture looks in a room. Until something about VR (and the requisite equipment) that's so compelling over a smartphone shows up, we're looking at VR staying in a bad spot overall for adoption making it basically a loss leader or something similar or a senior developer retention program for a bunch of tech companies. Oh yeah, and if VR is such a flop after all this time that even Apple can't push a headset to Make It A Thing for normal people, VR will be heavily divested by tech companies leading to a VR Winter of sorts.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Guru3d: MOSFET prices to increase on worsening component shortages

quote:

02/26/2021 09:08 AM | source: Digitimes

Prices for MOSFETs are set to rise significantly in the months ahead thanks to worsening shortages arising from persistently tight 8-inch foundry capacity and rapid increases in demand for graphics cards and automotive electronics applications, according to industry sources. A MOSFET controls the voltage and current flow between the source and drain. The working of the MOSFET depends on the MOS capacitor, which is the semiconductor surface below the oxide layers between the source and drain terminal.

Fortunately, MOSFETs aren't the most expensive parts of your graphics card or motherboard, a single unit sells for roughly 50 cents per 500 bought. But still, everything accumulated, adds up.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

I would simply control the voltage and current flow between source and drain by other means

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

can they fix not having transistors in software?

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 1, 2021

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 OC Edition https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HJGNJ81 $1,839.99. In stock April 6.

Laughably probably a "good deal" in these times.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sphyre posted:

I would simply control the voltage and current flow between source and drain by other means

Looking forward to the vacuum tube future of GPUs.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

this meme but with GPUs and games

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

gary oldmans diary posted:

ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 OC Edition https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HJGNJ81 $1,839.99. In stock April 6.

Goes for 2800-3300 Euro on eBay over here, easy scalping flip.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sphyre posted:

Putting your finger in the middle should do it right

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sphyre posted:

Is Maxwell’s demon looking for a job?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

gary oldmans diary posted:

pretty sure it's just amazon glitching out, no way it's in stock for 6 hours when you could flip it for $1k more. Errors when I try to check out.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My friend is streaming movies with OBS to us over RSTP (we're watching in VLC). He has an RTX 2080, is there a way to stream out in HEVC H.265 instead of 264 so twice as many of us can watch? It only gives 264 in stream options. Maybe some kind of plugin to enable it? Or some other app that can use NVENC for an HEVC RTSP stream?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The VR killer app is some combo of Beat Saber and HL: Alyx. I got an HP Reverb G2 in the fall and despite initially thinking I would mostly be playing Alyx and sim games, I've sunk nearly 100 hours into Beat Saber and barely touched anything else. The custom songs are that good and the gameplay is great for VR.

Seriously, if you haven't played it, give it a try. It's quite fun.

Unfortunately Facebook now owns the devs who made Beatsaber so as time goes on I suspect things will start to go down the drain.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

wow, those are like sega cd numbers!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFCE1WWKzoo

Moore's Law is Dead came out with a very short video about the RX 6700XT, and I like writing down specific claims he makes so you can go back to check if he's full of poo poo later on

* the RX 6700XT is going to have an MSRP between 479 to 499 USD.

To compare:

- the RX 6800 [non-XT]'s MSRP is 579 USD
- the RX 5700XT's MSRP was 399 USD

- the RTX 3070's MSRP is 499 USD
- the RTX 3060Ti's MSRP is 399 USD

* there's going to be two "variants" to the 6700XT:

- a base model that's going to be the reference model sold directly by AMD, and by AIBs as "non-overlocked" models.
- a overclocked model that's only going to be sold by AIBs. These are supposed to be better-binned and will be clocked higher
- back in Feb 19th we already had someone else talk about this rumor. The base model is supposed to have a TDP of 189w, and the OC model is supposed to have a higher TDP of 230w

* as far as relative performance metrics, MLID claims:

- the OC models of the RX 6700XT will land somewhere between the 3060Ti and the 3070
- the base/reference models are supposed to equal the 3060Ti

- in another section of the video says the RX 6700XT is supposed to be "better than a 2080 Super". Since the 3060Ti is already roughly equal to a 2080 Super, saying the RX 6700XT is better than that is congruent with a claim that the OC models are better than a 3060Ti (and worse than a 3070)

* The RX 6700XT is supposed to come out some time during the latter half of March 2021, "probably the third week of March", MLID says
- the 6700 [non-XT] has no firm release date yet, and is rumored to be delayed/pushed out because the yields on the XT model are good enough that AMD is in no hurry to come out with this cut-down version

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
none of it matters if they have none to sell. It feels like there are less 6800xt's all SKUs combined than evga 3080 ftw3's. Do we know what nm these are? Are they lower binned 6800s or off an entirely different production line?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 1, 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Back to VR chat for a sec but RE7 was the only game worth a poo poo for VR imo.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

CyberPingu posted:

Back to VR chat for a sec but RE7 was the only game worth a poo poo for VR imo.

And it still doesn't have VR support on PC which loving sucks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

none of it matters if they have none to sell. It feels like there are less 6800xt's all SKUs combined than evga 3080 ftw3's. Do we know what nm these are? Are they lower binned 6800s or off an entirely different production line?

6700XT's should still be 7nm RDNA2, but using a different die (Navi 22, 335 mm2), compared to a 6800/6900 (Navi 21, 520 mm2)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yep

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fauxtool posted:

February numbers should be available soon (although their partners stop producing during Lunar New Year like everyone else) but so far AMD hasn't even shipped enough units for a single product to show up on the Steam Hardware Survey. They are just rolled in to "other" and the noise there is significant enough that it overwhelms the data, but for example this month that whole category increased 0.11% (last month it decreased 0.61%). They have some decent numbers at mindfactory, supposedly 30-50% as much as NVIDIA but that's not backed up anywhere else or by the Steam results so I guess they're maybe shipping all of their inventory there to make a good show, since they know hardware enthusiasts watch mindfactory's sales numbers.

I've typed and deleted a couple times now trying to come up with something relevant to say about where AMD might be trying to place themselves relative to 3070 and 3060 Ti price and performance but it seems so irrelevant now. Imagine how ridiculous reviewers must feel about the whole thing, imagine trying to make a review with a straight face where you review the products as if anyone is going to be able to buy a 3070 or a 6700XT for $499 in the near future. Like what do you really say other than "here's the performance, it's X% faster than this part and Y% slower than that part, best of luck"?

it's a little extra ridiculous with AMD since they are launching these SKUs that they clearly can't actually produce in volume. This is the essence of a paper launch, not just one that's hard to get but one that literally only exists on paper to say you did it, to satisfy the investors and keep yourself in the tech media.

If this lower SKU doesn't have the small bus+Infinity Cache arrangement and instead relies on a normally-sized bus (eg the same size as the big chips), they might mine almost as well as the Big RDNA2 chips but at a much lower cost, they might be difficult to come by on that basis as well.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well the good news is that bitcoin is crashing so there might be less mining demand. The bad news is that bitcoin is crashing and it's harder to justify spending a grand to make glass shinier now :v:

Psst, Nvidia! I have a few dozen mosfets I'll trade you for a 3080.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Well the good news is that bitcoin is crashing so there might be less mining demand. The bad news is that bitcoin is crashing and it's harder to justify spending a grand to make glass shinier now :v:

Psst, Nvidia! I have a few dozen mosfets I'll trade you for a 3080.

It's up 5% today :/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Same with Ace Combat 7. Project Wingman has VR support for the whole campaign but AC7 VR Mission 2 was the first time VR went from :aaa: to :aaaaa: for me.

axeil posted:

The VR killer app is some combo of Beat Saber and HL: Alyx. I got an HP Reverb G2 in the fall and despite initially thinking I would mostly be playing Alyx and sim games, I've sunk nearly 100 hours into Beat Saber and barely touched anything else. The custom songs are that good and the gameplay is great for VR.

Seriously, if you haven't played it, give it a try. It's quite fun.

Unfortunately Facebook now owns the devs who made Beatsaber so as time goes on I suspect things will start to go down the drain.

Get Pistol Whip if you haven’t, no custom songs but it’s probably my favorite rhythm game ever.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Gorilla Tag is the VR killer app.

But seriously most of the games that explode in VR spaces aren’t coming from the usual big companies. It’s all indie devs executing on an idea really well like with Population One or a classic game that really benefits from that sense of presence like Myst.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

In that sense it's more like the early microcomputer days rather than the years of peak Sega/Nintendo, right down to a lot of the established players in other media coming to VR because it's shiny and new and spending a lot of money to make uninspired products that completely miss the point of the medium.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Or maybe it's simply a product that fails to appeal to a sufficient amount of people and even a perfect VR game won't entice more into buying a headset.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

VR headsets will never see mass adoption as long as you look like a total doof wearing one.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The biggest barrier to entry for me is having to spend roughly 50 to 100% of the money I spent on building a good enough computer again for just VR, which isn't even usable for general purpose computer usage.

So it'll be a very expensive accessory that will spend more time on the shelf than serving any purpose.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

Or maybe it's simply a product that fails to appeal to a sufficient amount of people and even a perfect VR game won't entice more into buying a headset.
Not really an "or". Microcomputers had the same problem, even the best game written on an 8-bit home computer wouldn't have been capable or capturing a market as large as other forms of media at the time because of technological, artistic and accessibility reasons.

People who say VR will never become mainstream ever are just wrong though, outside of an environmental or social cataclysm that stops technological progress for a while. Most of the barriers are solvable and even if VR games specifically don't catch on, a HMD of high enough quality and comfort with passthrough will be a better display than any physical display could be.

Geemer posted:

The biggest barrier to entry for me is having to spend roughly 50 to 100% of the money I spent on building a good enough computer again for just VR, which isn't even usable for general purpose computer usage.

So it'll be a very expensive accessory that will spend more time on the shelf than serving any purpose.
Cost isn't really an issue anymore, it's US$299 for a standalone headset.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SCheeseman posted:

People who say VR will never become mainstream ever are just wrong though, outside of an environmental or social cataclysm that stops technological progress for a while. Most of the barriers are solvable and even if VR games specifically don't catch on, a HMD of high enough quality and comfort with passthrough will be a better display than any physical display could be.

But it's tiring in a way a TV isn't