Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

njsykora posted:

Like Steve said in GN's 3060 review, cards don't need to be exciting any more. They just need to exist and be purchasable.

They don't even need video outputs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just handed out a bunch of probes in this thread for talking about cryptocurrency mining or theorizing about sci-fi cryptocurrency mining. Just a reminder that no one wants to read that poo poo. I've issued enough warnings and I am going to be liberal on probations.

Ihmemies posted:

Are they ******** or what? They have water issues in Texas because water froze. They have water issues in Taiwan because they have run out of water.

THEN THEY ARE PLANNING A WATER-INTENSIVE FAB TO A DESERT?!!

What the gently caress is wrong with these loving corporate idiots?!

When we say don't use the word "retarded," we don't mean blank it out with asterisks. Find another way to say what you're trying to say.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 3, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ihmemies posted:

Well I guess there are no options but hurricane/typhoon/monsoon areas, earthquake areas, deserts etc. in the world. Can't build 'em fabs anywhere else.

Seriously though is there something geologically about desert areas that makes them good sites for fabs - less earthquakes or whatever? or is it just coincidence that arizona and texas are two of the major hotspots for fab construction?

(or like, those areas are trying to lure people in with low taxes or what? not like outside of fabs that Arizona is a real tech hotspot...)

Oregon is the counterexample I guess. And New York, and Costa Rica, Ireland, etc.

Taiwan/China/Korea makes obvious sense because of the concentration of the tech industry in that area though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/147498-amd-brings-smart-access-memory-ryzen-3000-series-cpus/

AMD is enabling SAM/reBAR across the board for Ryzen 3000 chips (except the bottom end APUs that are rebadged Zen+ parts)

I think some motherboard manufacturers wrangled it into working already? Anyway it's better for it to be official.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

OhFunny posted:

I paid $357 and got $30 back due to the lawsuit over the VRAM.

hahahahahahahahaaha

Colorado River water provided by CAP isn’t the primary supply of water for Phoenix FYI.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

repiv posted:

https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/147498-amd-brings-smart-access-memory-ryzen-3000-series-cpus/

AMD is enabling SAM/reBAR across the board for Ryzen 3000 chips (except the bottom end APUs that are rebadged Zen+ parts)

I think some motherboard manufacturers wrangled it into working already? Anyway it's better for it to be official.

I'm a little confused here, will this only work with AMD GPUs?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AMD SAM and NV ReBAR are basically the same thing so it should be possible to get NVs version working with Ryzen 3000 now, but NV might need to ship a driver update first to enable it

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It would really be something if AMD moneyhats one of the most anticipated games of 2021 to make it practically impossible to use raytracing without atrocious FPS:

https://twitter.com/Radeon/status/1367146627123867653

I guess it'll motivate devs to optimize the poo poo out of it.

This isn't confirmation that it won't have DLSS, but AMD seem to be big on giving companies money to not include DLSS.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

insanely high prices and actual brand/feature segmentation like the original gsync days. rough days ahead until they sort out this poo poo as some sort of standard.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Oh great, a console war right here on my very own desktop.

AMDoes what Nvidiain't

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Well, technically Nvidia could solve that by opening up DLSS, no?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

RE Engine has never shipped with DLSS so AMDs partnership isn't breaking any convention there

Maybe the devs just don't want to do more than the bare minimum for the PC version

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Internet Explorer posted:

Just handed out a bunch of probes in this thread for talking about cryptocurrency mining or theorizing about sci-fi cryptocurrency mining. Just a reminder that no one wants to read that poo poo. I've issued enough warnings and I am going to be liberal on probations.

I know this isn’t QCS but I think it’s being over-policed. I saw someone slapped on the wrist for simply mentioning the Etherium price which does have a consequence on demand and prices and seems valid to me.

I was one of the people arguing for more moderation, but what I wanted moderated away was bullshit like discussing the best wallets to evade government record keeping, discussing miner programs, and discussing how to get extra cards for the purposes of mining. That kind of “help me get rich quick” poo poo should be in a crypto thread and not here, because it’s about as useful as WallStreetBets GameStop posts in the PS5 thread.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

SourKraut posted:

Colorado River water provided by CAP isn’t the primary supply of water for Phoenix FYI.

The Salt and Verde rivers aren't doing much better. I think fabs there will be a mistake in the long term.

Craptacular! posted:

I know this isn’t QCS but I think it’s being over-policed. I saw someone slapped on the wrist for simply mentioning the Etherium price which does have a consequence on demand and prices and seems valid to me.

I was one of the people arguing for more moderation, but what I wanted moderated away was bullshit like discussing the best wallets to evade government record keeping, discussing miner programs, and discussing how to get extra cards for the purposes of mining. That kind of “help me get rich quick” poo poo should be in a crypto thread and not here, because it’s about as useful as WallStreetBets GameStop posts in the PS5 thread.

I agree. Too heavy-handed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I thought the human powered coin idea was pretty funny tbh.

I have an R9 290x in a spare PC that I should totally sell because it’s just sitting there and prices are ridiculous.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The borderline posts lead to people going way off topic, because when they see their beloved crypto mentioned they can't help themselves.

Talking specifically about how cards are more expensive because of crypto is fine, because how else are we going to discuss GPU prices. Talking about the current price of crytpo is not necessary and invites further discussion.

Talking about very specific technology related to GPUs and crypto is also fine, but it better be significant to this thread. An example being NVIDIA locking down mining on their consumer cards.

There's been lots of warnings. If people want to talk about topics related to crypto, they should think twice before they post. Me personally? I would do my best to avoid the topic.

If you have any complaints about a specific probe, please PM me. I also spoke with movax about getting a feedback thread up and hopefully that should be ready soon. Please don't derail the thread to talk about moderation. We've talked about it enough here over the past week or two.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

pictured: five seconds' worth of stock

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Ok, here's a really dumb question. Let's say I setup a new small business/DBA as "nnnotime's always-understocked Computer Components", and obtained a state tax-ID. Would I be able to put in an order for a dozen RTX 3080s or 3090s for retail sales? That way I could get a card and then sell the remaining?

Just looking at all options here.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Is FidelityFX AMD's general branding for whatever their DLSS-equiv will be?

For folks stuck on 9- and 10-series cards in need of an upgrade to play newer games, consider getting a VRR monitor if you don't have one. G-sync/Freesync will make those cards feel a lot better once you're no longer forced to choose between stuttery v-sync and tear-full no-v-sync.

Those monitors are not priced at the ridiculous premium GPUs are, so they're a better spend right now if you're ok with lower, but smooth frames.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

v1ld posted:

For folks stuck on 9- and 10-series cards in need of an upgrade to play newer games, consider getting a VRR monitor if you don't have one. G-sync/Freesync will make those cards feel a lot better once you're no longer forced to choose between stuttery v-sync and tear-full no-v-sync.

Those monitors are not priced at the ridiculous premium GPUs are, so they're a better spend right now if you're ok with lower, but smooth frame rates.

Just a reminder that 900 series cards can't do VRR on FreeSync monitors (which sucks for me).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

flakeloaf posted:

One whole 3080, that checks out.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

v1ld posted:

Those monitors are not priced at the ridiculous premium GPUs are, so they're a better spend right now if you're ok with lower, but smooth frames.
FidelityFX is basically two things: a suite of graphics tool/effects and a rather terrible upscaler that's often paired with CAS in games' graphics settings.

Reflections on water puddles and clear-floor surfaces look very weird with it on in games like Resident Evil 2+3 Remake. Basically only use it if you need the FPS.

It might be worth using in RE8, but it very much feels like AMD's pre-2.0 DLSS.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 4, 2021

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

I got into EVGA's 3060 queue immediately and I actually got to order one today from them through it, somehow.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

v1ld posted:

FidelityFX is AMD's umbrella branding for all the features it can potentially provide. FidelityFX Super Resolution is their competing DLSS feature that is not released yet.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

nnnotime posted:

Ok, here's a really dumb question. Let's say I setup a new small business/DBA as "nnnotime's always-understocked Computer Components", and obtained a state tax-ID. Would I be able to put in an order for a dozen RTX 3080s or 3090s for retail sales? That way I could get a card and then sell the remaining?

I think you'd need to order a lot more than 12.

I ordered 5 3080s from IngramMicro on Dec 2 with an original ETA of Dec 20.
The ETA keeps getting pushed back farther and farther and is now sitting at June 9.

So...no that won't work.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

flakeloaf posted:

its like 1100 cards what are you expecting exactly?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I dunno about him, but I would expect to be able to buy a video card for a normal price 6 months after they released, personally.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

nnnotime posted:

Local shops go through wholesalers, wholesalers are some of the worst scalping mfers on the planet with computer parts and basically the only way to make any money is to get bulk discounts. So yeah, even if you could get an order in (which you probably couldn’t at the moment) you will be paying the inflated prices.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

OhFunny posted:

The Salt and Verde rivers aren't doing much better. I think fabs there will be a mistake in the long term.

I don't want to get off topic, but sure they are. They're doing a lot better than the Colorado River, and long-term climate change projections actually show them having no where near the reduction in flow that the Colorado River might see, due to differences in topography, source of supply, etc.

It doesn't mean that the Phoenix MSA won't have to adapt, but if the Phoenix MSA actually instituted Tucson-level water restrictions on residences, i.e. promoting the elimination of grass in residences and businesses, etc., then the area could likely get by during significant drought without any CAP water coming in.

Not only that, but there are on-going developments in both indirect potable reuse and direct potable reuse that are meant to augment both SRP and groundwater contribution. I mean, I'm all for it being stupid to put water-intensive activities in desert areas like southern Arizona, but compared to a lot of places around the US, Arizona actually has its act somewhat well together in this regard...

Source: I work in the water/wastewater industry in Arizona.

Edit: And to others questions about why to put it in the desert of all places, the issues with water intensive uses not withstanding, Phoenix and Tucson have essentially no downtime during the year. The geology is such that even major earthquakes in California or Mexico pose no infrastructure risk, there's effectively no risk of any natural disaster, and the electrical infrastructure is probably amongst the best in the US, since APS and SRP actually have their poo poo together in far more ways than most electric utilities around the US. Combine that with the proximity to California, Mexico, and Texas, and it's an ideal place in many ways.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 4, 2021

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I got resizable BAR working on an AMD CPU/Nvidia GPU combo (3960X/A6000) after updating my bios (and verifying Win/Ubuntu had the feature turned on) and saw no improvement in windows games and Linux CUDA applications. This included AC:V which is a game mentioned by Nvidia to potentially perform better :shrug:

Seems like a gimmick right now

(FYI you’ll need your OSes to be using UEFI/GPT, or the feature doesn’t work; I had to do a reformat because my dual-boot was on MBR partitions)

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Where'd you get the updated BIOS for the A6000?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Worked as is - just needed a mobo bios update (for a Gigabyte TRX40 board) and a Win driver update

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
AFAIK Rebar requires VBIOS support and Nvidia hasn't rolled it out to anything other than the RTX 3060

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

on my nvidia control panel

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Someone was mentioning that Dell has some system inventory on GPUs... so I got the Alienware side of things opened up for our Premiere portal:

I can get an Optiplex 3080 with up to a 2070super - POSSIBLY a 2080 or 2080 super if I email my rep.

Can get one for $1,315

The standard Alienware is a 1650 4GB and starts at $1540 for a base Aurora R11 w/ 1 year warranty. The options & availability go:

2060S +250
2070S +350
3060ti +450
2080S +550
2080Ti +750
3080 +850
3090 +1650 (10+ day delay)

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

SourKraut posted:

good post on fabs
Thanks for this good post, my industry colleague. An idle musing more than anything, but I wonder what the fabs think about IDPR/DPR water as input to their process train. I have to imagine the facilities are doing additional water treatment at the fab after receiving water from the distribution system, or that they're connected to a raw water supply and do all treatment on-site.

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 4, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bus hustler posted:

Someone was mentioning that Dell has some system inventory on GPUs... so I got the Alienware side of things opened up for our Premiere portal:

I can get an Optiplex 3080 with up to a 2070super - POSSIBLY a 2080 or 2080 super if I email my rep.

Can get one for $1,315

The standard Alienware is a 1650 4GB and starts at $1540 for a base Aurora R11 w/ 1 year warranty. The options & availability go:

2070S +350

if I'm reading this right you're saying that an Optiplex with a 2070 Super costs 1,315 USD, but an Alienware with a 2070 Super costs 1,890 USD (1,540 + 350)?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Yes, though they aren't comparable systems. The Optiplex is an i5 with all of Dell's rip off addons stripped, basically close to as cheap as I can get it to harvest a GPU. The Alienware with a GPU basically requires a 1000W chassis with water cooling. We also get pretty aggro pricing on the Optiplex line.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 4, 2021

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1367387406220034061?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

DLSS on the switch itself would rule, render Cyberpunk at 240p and upscale to 720p