Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

KirbyKhan posted:

gently caress it, tonight I went to the Best Buy and just bought a whole rear end prebuilt for $1600 just to get at the 3070 inside of it.

I'm getting my money's worth out of Total Tech tho, gonna make those Geek squad folks build me an Artesian quality build component by component. First things first, getting them to install liquid cooling on this new rig.

Now I'm in the market for a 1060 series card for older PC. Gonna turn it into a surveillance system.

You know you could have just asked me right?

I’m not just good for micro usb cables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Alan Smithee posted:

You know you could have just asked me right?

I’m not just good for micro usb cables

Sugarmama has a very strong "NO dudes you know from the internet" policy for anything more than $200. I was thinking about texting you tho, deep down I wanted to, but my hands are tied and the funding is capricious.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Lmao, obvious website fuckup but I figured it was worth a shot for fun

e: auto canceled, a man can dream, right?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 21, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm not American but isn't there some law about if you list something for a certain price even if it's a mistake you have to sell that item if someone already paid for it?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

VelociBacon posted:

I'm not American but isn't there some law about if you list something for a certain price even if it's a mistake you have to sell that item if someone already paid for it?

No

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

VelociBacon posted:

Lmao we pay for poo poo we don't get ALL THE TIME

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Federal law no, some states yes

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

VelociBacon posted:

Something to keep in mind is America is run almost entirely by giant corporations, it is probably the most anti-consumer nation in all of history.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

Lmao we pay for poo poo we don't get ALL THE TIME

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Federal law no, some states yes

Indiana_Krom posted:

Something to keep in mind is America is run almost entirely by giant corporations, it is probably the most anti-consumer nation in all of history.

Alright fair enough!

For what it's worth here in Canada we're also run entirely by giant corporations and they're all American so at least you're being beaten with a familiar belt.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Retesting Resizable BAR, after Nvidia Inspector whitelisting

code:
AC Origins                 89 | 90 
Forza Horizon 5           122 | 134
SotTomb Raider            109 | 112
SotTomb Raider (Q. DLSS)  130 | 134
First number is the average FPS w/o ReBAR, second is w/ ReBAR. DLSS result should be slightly higher because there's a brief segment where the game hit the FPS cap

The Forza bump is pretty nice. Though a proper test would look at the frame times and lows.

Also, I'm still getting the intermittent screen flashing, even without the second display. Don't really want to spend $15 on a new DP cable atm (just to find out it's not the issue).

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Rinkles posted:

Also, I'm still getting the intermittent screen flashing, even without the second display. Don't really want to spend $15 on a new DP cable atm (just to find out it's not the issue).

Are you running stock settings for core/mem/voltage?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Canna Happy posted:

Are you running stock settings for core/mem/voltage?

yeah

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Is gsync on? Try turning it off.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It’s on, but that’s a crucial feature I wouldn’t want to lose

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

It’s on, but that’s a crucial feature I wouldn’t want to lose

Of course but maybe try it with it off and see if it’s the issue. I’ve seen it do some weird things sometimes.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Ddu and a fresh driver install?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I should do that.

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Is $570 a good price for a 3060 right now? The guy at the store wasn't sure if it was a 3060 or 3060ti.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Suspect A posted:

Is $570 a good price for a 3060 right now? The guy at the store wasn't sure if it was a 3060 or 3060ti.

it's hard to define a good price right now. it's cheaper than scalper price, but the stock 3060 MSRP was like $329 at launch (lol). if it's a 3060 Ti, then $570 is not too terrible -- pretty equivalent to what you'd pay through the newegg shuffle. you could get a better price through best buy luck or the evga queue if you're willing to wait an indeterminate amount of time.

really depends on how bad you need it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Suspect A posted:

No. I've seen some 3060 models go for around $600, but that's a real lovely price and I wouldn't buy one for that much. A 3060 Ti for $570 is okay-ish. There's a pretty big difference in performance between the two, so be sure of what you're buying before pulling the trigger.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

Suspect A posted:

570 is high for a 3060, but good for a ti. If you look at Best Buy, the only 60tis below 570 are evga and the founders. I’d say it’s a buy at that price if you want a gpu.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I ran DDU, but when I was changing something else in my computer, I noticed the GPU wasn't seated properly because the PCIe lock wasn't engaged. Seems like that could be the culprit.

riparian
Jun 26, 2004
I managed to get a Hellhound 6700xt from amazon for $830 with the plan of selling my old 5700xt to offset the cost. Got the new card installed, tested a few games for an hour or so, then the whole system crashed just after I started a vm. After restarting it would post but hang on the os loading screen, and after a few more reboots it wouldn't even post. Put the old card back in and everything was fine.

Has anyone seen a card fail like that before? In my experience they usually either don't work right from the start or last for years. Amazon won't replace it, only refund, and there are no other models within $100 of the price I paid. Is my best bet trying to RMA through powercolor, or take the refund and wait for something similarly "cheap" to become available?

riparian fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 21, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
ugh ideally you'd RMA it but i have 0 idea what powercolor's customer returns experience is like bud, it might be rough. are you absolutely sure it wasn't eg a loose connection or something?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

intel arc alchemist gpus similar to / faster than a 3070 ti?

https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/status/1484342563327062019

https://www.techpowerup.com/291176/intel-arc-alchemist-xe-hpg-graphics-card-with-512-eus-outperforms-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-ti

riparian
Jun 26, 2004

CoolCab posted:

ugh ideally you'd RMA it but i have 0 idea what powercolor's customer returns experience is like bud, it might be rough. are you absolutely sure it wasn't eg a loose connection or something?

I swapped slots, tried a different power cable, etc. Left it in while booting off the old card and the logs showed that amdgpu had trouble loading the bios and reported that the card had 0M vram. Tried reflashing the bios with amdvbflash which appeared to succeed, but didn't change any of the errors.

The fact that it went from running normally to hanging during boot to not posting looked like some kind of progressive hardware failure, I'd just never seen anything quite like that before.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Retesting Resizable BAR, after Nvidia Inspector whitelisting

code:
AC Origins                 89 | 90 
Forza Horizon 5           122 | 134
SotTomb Raider            109 | 112
SotTomb Raider (Q. DLSS)  130 | 134
First number is the average FPS w/o ReBAR, second is w/ ReBAR. DLSS result should be slightly higher because there's a brief segment where the game hit the FPS cap

The Forza bump is pretty nice. Though a proper test would look at the frame times and lows.

So I had no idea you could manually whitelist games for ReBAR

I went and added Dishonored 2 which I'm nearing the end of and uhhhh wow my frametimes are great now. This is a game that is known for running pretty badly even on high-end systems (drops to 60-70 FPS from 120 at times on mine) but now about the worst I've seen in my short testing is ~90 or so.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

lol already seeing 6500 xts going for $300+

feels bad man :smith:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Previa_fun posted:

lol already seeing 6500 xts going for $300+

feels bad man :smith:

Newegg bumped up their prices by $70 almost across the board the very next day. I wonder if it's them or the AIBs.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Rinkles posted:

Newegg bumped up their prices by $70 almost across the board the very next day. I wonder if it's them or the AIBs.

Our 'favorite' youtuber claims it is a one day reimbursement by AMD.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Overclockers in the UK on their forum were open about having a limited number to sell at £175 supported by the aib. The cheapest card is now a £225. It hasn't increased any further than that and has remained in stock since. They mention having 1000 or so to sell

It took a couple of days longer for ebuyer but the cheapest card has shown up at £220 and is still in stock. It feels like most places are just waiting for their shipments to arrive.

I can't believe it's a paperlaunch given the small die size or that their will be scalping given the negative press.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MikeC posted:

Our 'favorite' youtuber claims it is a one day reimbursement by AMD.

oh god are they really doing this again after the Vega fiasco, lol. goddamn these companies are dumb+evil (thats_capitalism.png I know)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

Overclockers in the UK on their forum were open about having a limited number to sell at £175 supported by the aib. The cheapest card is now a £225. It hasn't increased any further than that and has remained in stock since. They mention having 1000 or so to sell

could you clarify? who's setting the new price if not AIBs?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Rinkles posted:

could you clarify? who's setting the new price if not AIBs?
I was confirming MikeC's comment about an AMD reimbursement . From the Overclocks forum

quote:

All supported 6500 XT at the £179.99 promotional MSRP have now sold out which was 280 units.

The cards will be made available for ordering soon at their regular prices, we have around 1000 in stock but the price will no longer be at a loss (supported) to ourselves and hence they will be priced higher.

quote:

Silly people, I did say our regular price be around £225, just seems very greedy and also crazy they will try to scalp for £20-30 and who in their right mind would buy them when you can buy brand new for less.
Got huge amounts in stock at £225 and they are selling quite well which bodes well as the low-end stuff always tends to take its time to build up sales, whereas the faster stuff everyone goes mental on day one, hour one, first minute.
I take supported to be reference to either an AMD reimbursement or the AIB selling a limited number at a lower wholesale price.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

lol, that's pointless. i guess AMD wanted that $200 price point to at least technically mean something.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I was lucky enough to win a 3060 in the Newegg shuffle about 6-7 months ago as something to hold my new over until I could get a 3060 TI and after entering the shuffle every day since then I finally was able to get one today.

Hopefully I am done buying GPUs for 5+ years.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

For those that didn't hear about it back in 2017, AMD announced the Vega64 at $499, let the reviewers write their articles with that number... and then after launch day stock was gone, the price jumped to $599. People internal to the industry said AMD had basically subsidized the launch batch by $100, but that was never the real price.

AMD made some lame business-speak screed weeks later about endeavoring to restock at the "suggested" price. There was one more batch at $499 on black friday a few months later for literally 1 day, and it never touched the price again. lol. Sounds familiar.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 21, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Speaking of price hikes apparently the MSRP of FE cards got quietly bumped up in Europe

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-quietly-increases-prices-of-geforce-rtx-30-founders-edition-cards-in-europe

They're probably still the cheapest cards, but yeah

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Harlock posted:

I was lucky enough to win a 3060 in the Newegg shuffle about 6-7 months ago as something to hold my new over until I could get a 3060 TI and after entering the shuffle every day since then I finally was able to get one today.

Hopefully I am done buying GPUs for 5+ years.

Same thing I did. I was able to sell the 3060 for enough that it covered the cost of the ti, minus shipping. Completely mental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
lol:

https://twitter.com/phoronix/status/1484664392826474500