Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It was a contributed by someone outside Nvidia but they didn't have to accept it I suppose

Kind of tenuous as a feature when Q2RTX always had TAAU though (DLSS isn't compatible with Quakes GPL license so NV had to settle for store brand upscaling)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

With the latest buttcoin crash, a 3060 is down to about a dollar a day on Nicehash after electricity in the US. Even a 3090 with no hash limiter is at about a 500 day timeframe to recoup the cost.

Maybe there is some hope of better times later this year? (or maybe the next covid strain will kill us all and also somehow be on the blockchain, skyrocketing crypto prices)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cygni posted:

With the latest buttcoin crash, a 3060 is down to about a dollar a day on Nicehash after electricity in the US. Even a 3090 with no hash limiter is at about a 500 day timeframe to recoup the cost.

Maybe there is some hope of better times later this year? (or maybe the next covid strain will kill us all and also somehow be on the blockchain, skyrocketing crypto prices)

Even if you’re just doing it to recoup the cost, doesn’t mining significantly affect the lifespan of a card?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Crypto crashing was only a question of time now that I decided to stop chasing FE prices and bought a card (nothing but ❤️ for canna happy, though)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 22, 2022

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Even if you’re just doing it to recoup the cost, doesn’t mining significantly affect the lifespan of a card?

not if you are doing it in a way to maximize your return

that involves undervolting so you get the best balance of power draw + computing power

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Crypto crashing was only a question of time now that I decided to stop chasing FE prices and bought a card (nothing but ❤️ for canna happy, though)

:same:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's still not down as low as it was during late spring/early summer last year, and it recovered from that, so I don't think you can say that the crypto menace is over now or whatever. It's still an encouraging sign, though.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WmQO4X5Gew

I lolled

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Love seeing crypto eat poo poo but I’ve stopped assuming it will mean a concrete improvement in the gpu situation.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I bought a prebuilt for a card just yesterday omfg

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It survives long enough for you to ebay it off, so doesn't really matter.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

KirbyKhan posted:

Return that poo poo

I’ll sell you one msrp

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
The crypto market taking a poo poo has already had a noticeable impact on the older used market in the UK, some of the recent insane price inflation id seen over the last few months has gone - 980Ti’s selling for more like 200ish on eBay again rather then 250-300.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

KirbyKhan posted:

I was way overdue for an upgrade, so I went that route through Newegg to get my 3070 without the hoop jumping.

The perverse part is my previous 1060 6GB can make up a decent chunk of the cost.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Begall posted:

The crypto market taking a poo poo has already had a noticeable impact on the older used market in the UK, some of the recent insane price inflation id seen over the last few months has gone - 980Ti’s selling for more like 200ish on eBay again rather then 250-300.
The UK's electricity prices have risen faster than most places so mining here is especially stupid

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The price of electricity has gone up everywhere in Europe, mining is more costly than it ever has been and not even by just a little.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 22, 2022

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Alan Smithee posted:

Return that poo poo

I’ll sell you one msrp

Single manly tear

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DF posted their take on DLDSR image quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3voyiojWl4

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
more like DTF geralt

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:sickos:

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

That Rise of the Robots reboot is lookin’ thirstier than I expected.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i think you will find this is the superior waifu

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

After actually gaming on it:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

someone plz put 3D Prophet on my next card

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

"Encounters" can include social scenes to navigate, puzzles, traps, and exploration. They're just set pieces where the party has to burn resources.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
man noise cancelling headphones like, completely eliminate 100% of fan noise? i'm very surprised how effective it is.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Of course, they had to get a nice shot of android butt on there.

Though very nice, congrats.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

frogmech or bust

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3050-gets-first-3dmark-scores-gtx-1660ti-performance-with-dlss-raytracing

1660 Ti launched at $280 and the 3050 will be $250. So uh, i guess you are getting a little better MSRP price/frame in those 3 years? lol. Also DLSS. Not gonna count the RT cores cause they likely will never be useful.

Vs the 6500 XT, its a pretty rough beat down. Significantly faster, actually has encoders/decoders, can work with PCIe 3.0 systems without dropping 10% of its performance, DLSS, and twice the ram.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Cygni posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3050-gets-first-3dmark-scores-gtx-1660ti-performance-with-dlss-raytracing

1660 Ti launched at $280 and the 3050 will be $250. So uh, i guess you are getting a little better MSRP price/frame in those 3 years? lol. Also DLSS. Not gonna count the RT cores cause they likely will never be useful.

Vs the 6500 XT, its a pretty rough beat down. Significantly faster, actually has encoders/decoders, can work with PCIe 3.0 systems without dropping 10% of its performance, DLSS, and twice the ram.

DLSS + ray tracing at 1080p with lowered settings for most games should be fine I assume? It might take some tuning but that doesn't sound impossible

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
don't the rt cores do other goofy stuff sometimes too, like the voice AI filtering sorcery

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Having ray tracing cores even on entry-level hardware will likely be helpful in UE5 games that use their Lumen lighting system. I think the plan there is that if a game uses Lumen, it will either use software ray tracing or hardware ray tracing, with no non-RT mode. Lumen is so efficient that software ray tracing will supposedly be doable at playable frame rates, though any RT hardware at all will make it faster.

(edit: to be clear, I'm sure there will be some games with optional lighting methods for the first year or two, but what I'm saying is that UE5's built-in lighting system will not have a no-RT option as far as I'm aware)

CoolCab posted:

don't the rt cores do other goofy stuff sometimes too, like the voice AI filtering sorcery

Those are Tensor cores, their AI processing cores.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 22, 2022

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

CoolCab posted:

man noise cancelling headphones like, completely eliminate 100% of fan noise? i'm very surprised how effective it is.

The technology works extremely well for canceling out consistent sounds, fans at a relatively steady RPM produce a very consistent sound. If you use fan control software to change the fan speed by a significant amount all at once the sound may briefly leak through until the fan speeds settle again.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Having ray tracing cores even on entry-level hardware will likely be helpful in UE5 games that use their Lumen lighting system. I think the plan there is that if a game uses Lumen, it will either use software ray tracing or hardware ray tracing, with no alternative lighting modes. Lumen is so efficient that software ray tracing will supposedly be doable at playable frame rates, though any RT hardware at all will make it faster.

It's an image quality tradeoff too, software Lumen traces against a loose approximation of the scene rather than finding exact triangle intersections like HW RT does

The SW approximation is good enough for global illumination but doesn't hold up to close scrutiny in reflections, or support any dynamically deformable meshes like characters

Those early UE5 demos used SW Lumen (note the lack of reflections) and the Matrix demo used HW Lumen

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Do you think that initial UE5 demo was actually running on a PS5? it looked flawless compared to the matrix demo.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Do you think that initial UE5 demo was actually running on a PS5? it looked flawless compared to the matrix demo.

Yeah, I don't think they were lying about that. Digital Foundry talked a little bit about this in their hour-long breakdown of the Matrix demo, and they mentioned how much more challenging the scenes in the Matrix Awakens are to render compared to the earlier "Lumen in the Land of Nanite" demo. There's pedestrians and loads of cars (with basic AI), a robust physics system, way more reflective surfaces, a larger play area with longer lines of sight, and just more going on under the hood in general. That first demo was super simple in comparison, which allowed it to do the typical tech demo thing of looking a bit too good to be true. Most games probably won't look as good as the matrix demo either, but that level of fidelity seems more plausible.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 22, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Plus the Matrix demo switching over to HW Lumen might have created a bottleneck that didn't exist in the earlier demos, the consoles have relatively weak RT cores after all so SW Lumen may actually be faster if the quality hit is acceptable

They wanted crisp reflections in Matrix though so it had to be HW Lumen

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

change my name posted:

DLSS + ray tracing at 1080p with lowered settings for most games should be fine I assume? It might take some tuning but that doesn't sound impossible

We will have to wait and see. The 2060 was able to get 1080p/60fps in games that had DLSS and RT, but the 2060 has 50% more RT cores than the 3050 and similar clocks. 3050 only has 20 RT cores.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I assume DLSS and RT compete for tensor cores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

so uh, don't play Dark Souls 3 online rn

not gpu related but