Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

is this a SATA to pcie adapter? i don't think it needs to be arson, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gross negligence really is the simple answer.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

this is why you don't daisy chain cheap power cables and Y-splitters

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i would love to sit down with that person, i know this is a mite sexist but i've had to edit this away from male pronouns like four times now lol, and ask them what on earth they thought was happening thermally with that setup. i think the intent is to corral hot air into those little exhaust fans and hole, which is adorably cartoonish

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Rinkles posted:

Maybe it’s arson fraud after the crypto downturn

Fraud or not, I hope they don't get a single red cent of that money back.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

STALKER 2 looks like it's coming along very well graphically. Very realistic lighting.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

v1ld posted:

STALKER 2 looks like it's coming along very well graphically. Very realistic lighting.

It took a lot of GPUs to get the room looking like that :haw:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Somebody close to where I live is trying to sell a 263 GPU farm in one shot. GOOD loving LUCK WITH THAT

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/for/d/west-vancouver-south-crypto-mining-farm/7496358775.html

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
seeing them all over facebook market, people advertising their rigs with their mining hash right next to the price. mate if that number mattered you wouldn't be selling up lol, always expect market rate plus fifty percent too

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
This is the best quote from the listing:

quote:

Now is definitely the time to get into mining!

Precious metals, maybe.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

MarcusSA posted:

This is why you don’t buy GPUs that were used for mining

You could just end up with some ash!

I want to believe the pc fans are pointed outward and they just have competing fans doing nothing for the gpus because I assume all miners are morons.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
putting a push on the end like that would be directly competing with airflow, which goes down into the card and out the sides and sometimes back. that's why those standing fans are baffling me

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

With disco diffusion, and stable diffusion now also promising a local build, I am lusting for a 4090. When is that releasing again?

I guess I have to upgrade to a 1200w psu first...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

KinkyJohn posted:

With disco diffusion, and stable diffusion now also promising a local build, I am lusting for a 4090. When is that releasing again?

october/november. probably october but maybe later, depending on how much nvidia wants to stall to sell more 30-series cards.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 3060 Ti FE is back in stock at Best Buy (in-store pickup). Unlike the higher-tier cards, the AIB versions of the 3060 Ti are still pretty expensive, so getting that card for $400 is a pretty good deal. FEs for most of the other cards have been in stock off-and-on too, but you can generally get those at or close to MSRP elsewhere now so those are less exciting.

It's a shame that Nvidia never did a 3060 FE because the AIB prices for that suck too.

edit: EVGA XC3 3070 for $475 after associate code (discount viewable at checkout), with free e-waste keyboard: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P5-3755-KL&associatecode=SG6LFX7LRLICR2Y

We're finally seeing below-MSRP versions of the basic non-OCed card models. Looks like they have free shipping for everyone right now too.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 6, 2022

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FuturePastNow posted:

this is why you don't daisy chain cheap power cables and Y-splitters

It’s always been a little baffling that people don’t bite the bullet and get a big 2kw desk-style meanwell 12v switching supply and picopsus to drive the other rails. You could have like, pigtails with ring terminals or power poles or some other sane connector leading to PCIe aux connectors with some decent wire, and not have the “goes through lovely 22g wire and 3 massively overloaded adapters” thing.

Consumer poo poo isn’t made for this and like, a lot of the things people do to press their lovely PSU into service (gosh I don’t have 27 PCIe connectors because this PSU wasn’t made for that) tend to end up overloading it, Molex and SATA adapters are tempting for people to use to plug more GPUs but they’re a massive fire hazard. I know consumers are idiots, but big industrial farms can set up their own poo poo however they want, and it’s baffling to me that it’s kinda just all consumer poo poo with some cheater adapters, even when a rush is on and consumer poo poo is super expensive. Meanwell isn’t that expensive, they get used in all kinds of other poo poo, and they are cranked out in pretty huge volume. At some point all this consumer poo poo and adapters has to be more expensive than some ring terminals and silicone wire.

In particular though using SATA for anything is nuts, like that is not a high-power connector at all guys :psyduck: Even Molex is not great and you can get some arcing at higher currents, and people take way way past its official spec, they know like exactly how far you can push before it’s a problem, and it’s like 2x or 2.5x the connector rating. People will use anything that doesn’t immediately light on fire the first second you plug it in, it’s nuts.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 6, 2022

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

In particular though using SATA for anything is nuts, like that is not a high-power connector at all guys :psyduck: Even Molex is not great and you can get some arcing at higher currents, and people take way way past its official spec, they know like exactly how far you can push before it’s a problem, and it’s like 2x or 2.5x the connector rating. People will use anything that doesn’t immediately light on fire the first second you plug it in, it’s nuts.

https://www.amazon.com/CGTime-15-Pin-PCI-Express-Female-Adapter/dp/B075383P7T

Look at the customer photos for a laugh. These adapters are an actual fire hazard.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Some quick googling tells me that the ATX standard specifies that SATA connectors only need to be rated to 54 watts. GPUs will try to pull up to 150W through each PCIe connector. It does not take a genius to figure out what will happen here.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The 3060 Ti FE is back in stock at Best Buy (in-store pickup). Unlike the higher-tier cards, the AIB versions of the 3060 Ti are still pretty expensive, so getting that card for $400 is a pretty good deal. FEs for most of the other cards have been in stock off-and-on too, but you can generally get those at or close to MSRP elsewhere now so those are less exciting.

Wow, these are still available as of this morning. Nature has finally healed itself.

I'm still holding strong onto my 6700k + 970, until we see what the fall holds for CPUs/GPUs

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Some quick googling tells me that the ATX standard specifies that SATA connectors only need to be rated to 54 watts. GPUs will try to pull up to 150W through each PCIe connector. It does not take a genius to figure out what will happen here.

Many SATA adapters also use molded thermoplastic, which tends to soften with heat and it’ll go plastic enough that the contacts will push through the inside of the connector, when they contact they’ll short out.

It’s probably ok with just 5 watts from a hdd going through them, although being in a hot case isn’t great either (I’ve seen fires on r/datahoarders just from hdd usage) and I just recommend people avoid them entirely. But in high-current applications those molded thermoplastic adapters are incredibly unsafe even at the rated current for the connector.

There are “vampire tap” ones where it strips away the insulation and contacts the wire directly and those are a lot safer. Everything I own uses those and I throw away any molded adapters on sight.

Eg this is safe:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8794

(this one had a fire but since it happened right away it’s likely a defective cable) https://www.amazon.com/Molex-Power-SATA-Female-Adapter/dp/B000YJMB5Y

this is the unsafe molded type:

https://www.amazon.com/SDTC-Tech-Splitter-Adapter-Extension/dp/B07P12ZBYX

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 6, 2022

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Is there a way to check a Radeon's temperature? My screen keeps crashing to black, after which videos I watch are glitchy with a bunch of neon green artifacts, and I want to see if my card is overheating.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Nevermind, I found it in Adrenalin, but it says my temperature and power consumption are normal so I don't know what's going on.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uunW0vRMk_Y&t=871s

Apparently Asus has a billion dollars in unsold inventory and mass layoffs at various companies?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

Apparently Asus has a billion dollars in unsold inventory and mass layoffs at various companies?

They should sell their stuff cheaper then

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol at evga laying off over 20% of their workforce

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

lol at evga laying off over 20% of their workforce

That's... not really a lol. You know it's gonna be the Americans that answer a phone for support when you call them up who get the axe, which was the whole point of buying from them. Agents with actual agency.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

cheesetriangles posted:

Steve has some right milkers mate

Seriously though it actually is pretty funny that these companies didn't give a flying poo poo about anything, hosed over consumers, flew too close to the sun and now they're crying because they pulled the worst move possible: structuring your business decisions on crypto in any way shape or form

e: I wonder how expensive the 4090 will be. I don't think I would pay more than $1500...

Taima fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 8, 2022

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
don't body shame steve what the gently caress are you doing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Taima posted:

Steve has some right milkers mate

They have a containment channel just for you. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClbZahXiEFVawqXjhVoh3iw/videos

Wandering vaguely closer to the thread's topic, I imagine this break down of one of AMD's "products" would be of interest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg0IukE9_bA

Actually on this thread's topic - EVGA had a round of layoffs in 2019, heres the EVGA forum thread about it: https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-layoffs-m2960250.aspx
And for those that don't want to click through:

This describes the US as a "skeleton crew" even in 2019. EVGA has cut back a lot on product lines since then. While I would assume that the last few years have been good for them, I would not be surprised if demand for GPUs suddenly cratering caused severe cash flow issues for them.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Uh oh. Wonder if this’ll start to put cracks in their reputation for good customer service

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They've also recently reduced the scale of their warranty coverage and made their extended warranties both cost more and last for a shorter duration. And they've eliminated any kickbacks for their affiliate program in an attempt to pinch more pennies.

As far as I'm aware, the PC market is still bigger than it was a few years ago, so this kind of desperation is a sign that they've made some real bad management decisions over the last couple years of growth.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Hmmm. An EVGA 3090Ti for $1149 has to be a new low, right?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

NotNut posted:

Nevermind, I found it in Adrenalin, but it says my temperature and power consumption are normal so I don't know what's going on.

Memory, maybe? The artifacting makes me lean toward that, you can get a tool like GPU-Z that'll show you all the different card sensors to get a better idea if it's overheating

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They've also recently reduced the scale of their warranty coverage and made their extended warranties both cost more and last for a shorter duration. And they've eliminated any kickbacks for their affiliate program in an attempt to pinch more pennies.

As far as I'm aware, the PC market is still bigger than it was a few years ago, so this kind of desperation is a sign that they've made some real bad management decisions over the last couple years of growth.

Their affiliate kick back program was actually really generous and I wonder if their warranty coverage period and step up program killed the extra margin they should’ve been getting, especially early.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Memory, maybe? The artifacting makes me lean toward that, you can get a tool like GPU-Z that'll show you all the different card sensors to get a better idea if it's overheating

Looks normal.

I also did a VRAM test with OCCT for an hour and it came back with no errors.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You need to load it to tell anything. Run some games or benchmarks while you have that logging and then look at the data.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
0 pity for GPU companies that tried to rip everyone off during the crypto boom and now has to sit on mountains of overpriced stock with 40x0 around the corner

Play with fire, get burned. They should pull their heads out the sand, and sell GPUs at a reasonable price point next time

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Does Best Buy limit how many GPUs you can buy now?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Listerine posted:

Does Best Buy limit how many GPUs you can buy now?

I don't know what their in-store purchasing policy is, but online you're only allowed to order GPUs for pickup, and only one item per GPU, though you can order multiple different GPUs at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

0 pity for GPU companies that tried to rip everyone off during the crypto boom and now has to sit on mountains of overpriced stock with 40x0 around the corner

Play with fire, get burned. They should pull their heads out the sand, and sell GPUs at a reasonable price point next time

The RX 6500 XT is the worst offender by far. Smaller die than a GTX 730, 64-bit memory bus, so little RAM that it becomes a problem? But you want to sell that garbage for $200?!