Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It all depends on what your goal is. Anything under 100fps is, of course, unviewable garbage, but for some people its ok. Sometimes games will throw on RT after a driver change or something and I'll be like "why the gently caress are my frames gone to poo poo*??" but a lot of people wouldn't even notice. I can see 4080+ handling it @2k if its the leap we've been led to believe it is. I'm disappointed high refresh 4K still seems so far off or prohibitively expensive. Current games in 2K just ain't impressive.

*from like 120+ to ~80

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

repiv posted:

Games like Detroit and HZD at launch took about half an hour to precompile everything, people aren't going to wait longer than that

In the case of Detroit it’s a warm up to get in the “what the gently caress is wrong with the developers” mindset.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The technical side of the team has the excuse that it was originally developed as a Playstation exclusive where compilation wasn't an issue :v:

The creative side of the team doesn't have an excuse

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

codo27 posted:

It all depends on what your goal is. Anything under 100fps is, of course, unviewable garbage, but for some people its ok. Sometimes games will throw on RT after a driver change or something and I'll be like "why the gently caress are my frames gone to poo poo*??" but a lot of people wouldn't even notice. I can see 4080+ handling it @2k if its the leap we've been led to believe it is. I'm disappointed high refresh 4K still seems so far off or prohibitively expensive. Current games in 2K just ain't impressive.

*from like 120+ to ~80

otoh 4K is dumb

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Where are my 24-25" 1080p 144+ Hz OLED monitors? I don't care for 4K PC displays or 4K gaming, personally.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

teagone posted:

Where are my 24-25" 1080p 144+ Hz OLED monitors? I don't care for 4K PC displays or 4K gaming, personally.

They wont ever exist, honestly

e: maybe ever is the wrong word, maybe OLED printing will get dirt cheap, but yeah. there isnt much demand for that niche.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got a 24" 1080p 120Hz monitor (3DVision baby), but 120 only works over dual-link dvi which isn't a thing on modern GPUs anymore sadly. Still works awesome for 3d blurays via PS3 though.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Cygni posted:

They wont ever exist, honestly

e: maybe ever is the wrong word, maybe OLED printing will get dirt cheap, but yeah. there isnt much demand for that niche.

well they're manufacturing them pretty small for mobile devices and portable monitors are as i understand it taking off in a big way, so maybe the evolutionary profile will come up from there and we'll get bigger fast USB-C monitors that you could mount or something.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How does Spider-Man manage to put out decent frame rates with RT on with a 2060 Super? Digital Foundry didn't show what the fps was in a sample run, but in settings comparisons with ray tracing, it was often around or over 60 with that GPU. This was with low to medium settings but it did include reflections. I think this was at native 1440p.

I know RT fidelity varies between games (and it's quite scalable here) but that still seems impressive, even if in actual gameplay the frame rate turns out to be a fair bit worse.

Alex didn't mention one, so it seems there's no ingame benchmark for easy comparisons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI2VUQsPqJo

The game's also really CPU intensive, partially due the "cost of decompressing game assets", which I understand the PS5 has dedicated hardware for.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 12, 2022

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

teagone posted:

Ha! You want niche:

Where’s my A4-size ePaper monitor???? Two colors and low refresh is just fine… get it done nerds

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
The best option for shader compilation:

Do all the shader compilation work up-front. But let players play the game without any shaders until the shader compilation takes place. You get flat-shaded, untextured polygons until you set aside an uninterrupted 2-4 hours for your PC to chomp chomp through all the shader work of New Game X: All the Budget Went to Shiny Graphics.

I don't think most console game developers (so most game developers) are going to put in a lot of extra work for anything above 60 Hz as long as the overwhelming majority of console game players are using 60 Hz TVs. Yes, recent HDMI supports it, yes more and more TVs are going to add Adaptive Sync, but I think TV manufacturers are still going to mostly target making the biggest possible screen size at a price point rather than adding support for refresh rates of 120 Hz and beyond. What percentage of game consoles are attached to displays that support anything above 60 Hz? I'm guessing a very small number.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 12, 2022

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

PBCrunch posted:

What percentage of game consoles are attached to displays that support anything above 60 Hz? I'm guessing a very small number.

Decent TVs have been 120hz for more than a decade now, to allow for correct playback of 24fps movies and TV without 3:2 pulldown. Even my 6 year old Vizio that was under $1k new supports 120hz in, I'd bet it's a big proportion.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Twerk from Home posted:

Decent TVs have been 120hz for more than a decade now, to allow for correct playback of 24fps movies and TV without 3:2 pulldown.

I don’t think most of those tvs accept a regular 120hz signal, though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rinkles posted:

I don’t think most of those tvs accept a regular 120hz signal, though.

My assumption was that my Vizio M65-D0 was somewhat representative, I can choose 4K or 120Hz, but not both.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah some older TVs support 120hz but only up to 1080p or 1440p input because they pre-date HDMI 2.1

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

ijyt posted:

otoh 4K is dumb

I remember when people said this about 1280x720, and then 1920x1080, and then.... you get the message. Either you have the hardware or you don't

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Really bugs me that my relatively new TCL6 is a 4k120 panel but not HDMI 2.1.

DVI deserved to die because of its atrocious pin pattern. Why the gently caress are so many connection formats so awful and finnicky? We oughta be connecting our TVs with USBC by now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

things aren't likely to get less finnicky now that we're pushing 48gbit/sec to the display

that's just a shitload of data

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm talking about the physical connector though. VGA? Trash. DVI? Trash. HDMI? Trash. PS/2? Trash. Micro USB? Trash. Ability to plug in blindly has been grossly overlooked for decades.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the only good connectors ever made are magsafe, the 3.5mm audio jack, and lightning

yeah i went tehre!!

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
what special kind of thrill was it to have graphics cards with usb-c back in the day? i am so tired of fidgeting with the displayport on the monitor

kliras fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 12, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Oh the dream to have USB-C OLED 144Hz monitors be mainstream.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 12, 2022

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

namlosh posted:

Ha! You want niche:

Where’s my A4-size ePaper monitor???? Two colors and low refresh is just fine… get it done nerds

https://www.waveshare.com/product/displays/e-paper/12.48inch-e-paper-module.htm

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
e-ink is buried under a pile of patents that make it a total pain to mass adopt from what i understand. sucks because i would have killed for a solid one like ten years ago instead of my ipad

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

namlosh posted:

Ha! You want niche:

the boox mira is a 13.3" 2200x1650 e-ink monitor

800 bux though

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

repiv posted:

things aren't likely to get less finnicky now that we're pushing 48gbit/sec to the display

that's just a shitload of data

80gbit/sec soon with DisplayPort 2.0! 8K 240Hz baby (with DSC)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the signal integrity situation is so dire at those speeds that VESA is suggesting 80gbit connections should have the cable permanently tethered to the monitor so there's only a connector on one end

DP 2.0 has a more sane 40gbit mode though which should be fine with conventional cables, albeit with similar length restrictions to HDMI 2.1

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

80gbit/sec soon with DisplayPort 2.0! 8K 240Hz baby (with DSC)

What the gently caress is even close to pushing that at this point? Do we even have 8k 240hz media?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bondematt posted:

What the gently caress is even close to pushing that at this point? Do we even have 8k 240hz media?

Nothing. It's designed to be future-proof so they don't have to keep updating the spec every time a new resolution or refresh rate comes out. As long as you're okay with DSC, they shouldn't need to worry about needing more bandwidth for the rest of the fixed-resolution 2D display era. I mean, it goes up to 16K 60Hz with 10-bit HDR.

(they may still update the spec with new features or for improving signal integrity or whatever, but the theoretical max bandwidth should be the most we need for a very long time)

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

ijyt posted:

otoh 4K is dumb

Why do you think it's dumb?

I've had a 4K monitor since like 2015, and a graphics card capable of running games at 4K since 2016. This isn't bleeding-edge poo poo either, I mean a 1060. Not all games, and many of them at medium detail instead of high/ultra, but - at this point 4K seems pretty normal and good to me. I'm biased because I also use my monitors for work and the extra area is really useful there, but that has to be a common situation.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Bondematt posted:

Bro we barely have 4k@60Hz media.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

kliras posted:

what special kind of thrill was it to have graphics cards with usb-c back in the day? i am so tired of fidgeting with the displayport on the monitor
I'm still salty that VirtuaLink never caught on, it was a good idea. From what I gather the original release plans were built around a specific chip that could bridge USB 2.0 signals on to USB 3.0 to free up those wires for the additional DP lanes and that chip turned out to have some showstopper bug late enough in the cycle that it ended up just tanking the whole thing because there was no alternative.

That said signaling-wise it's still DisplayPort, so unless your issues are specific to the physical DisplayPort connector itself they'd likely be the same.

kliras posted:

e-ink is buried under a pile of patents that make it a total pain to mass adopt from what i understand. sucks because i would have killed for a solid one like ten years ago instead of my ipad
Hey, at least the tech from the first-gen Kindle will be free in *checks calendar* a little over five years...

A decade to go for Paperwhite-era tech.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://us.blu-raydisc.com/blog/latest_news/gemini-man-arrives-ultra-hd-blu-ray-60fps-frame-rate-dolby-vision/
this is the only 4k 60fps media i even need.

(seriously though have you watched this at 60fps? it's a good showcase of how much more information there is at that frame rate. Even at 1080p the detail looks stunning because of the increased temporal bits. unfortunately much of it suffers from the "soap opera" look which might be partly film making, partly culture. However there's a particular scene of driving down an alley at high speed that is visually unmatched in all but the sickest videogames.)

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Bondematt posted:

we can go back to the old days of daisy chaining displayport like they wanted us to with 1.2!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

kliras posted:

we can go back to the old days of daisy chaining displayport like they wanted us to with 1.2!

I would 100% be down for this. Now if only they could do the same with power...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

using a series of daisy chained monitors as signal repeaters to get around the 1 meter limit of an 80gbit cable

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I remember when people said this about 1280x720, and then 1920x1080, and then.... you get the message. Either you have the hardware or you don't

what is diminishing returns

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I'm about to pop a couple new 3000 series cards into my computer to replace my old 780 and 2070. Just a little nervous since it's been forever since I swapped parts in. This would be the correct cable to plug into the adapter right? It has VGA written on it which is throwing me for a loop for some reason, but that's the only 8 pin cables in my PSU's kit.

Also is there any market at all for a 780? I'm guessing since they ended driver support I might as well throw it away?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

In normal media where you're looking at like, people in normal, realistic environments, even if it's stylized or whatever, going past 4K will really give you some heavy diminishing returns. It's not that there are no benefits, but you are butting up against the limits of human visual acuity at that point. For desktop usage, there is still benefit in going higher since humans see high-contrast elements much more clearly (e.g. aliasing on thin lines that aren't perfectly horizontal or vertical). But for video games, I have no interest in higher resolutions. Even 4K itself is not as appealing to me as more advanced graphical features (though I still bought a 4K monitor anyway because I want the best of both worlds :haw:)

Listerine posted:

I'm about to pop a couple new 3000 series cards into my computer to replace my old 780 and 2070. Just a little nervous since it's been forever since I swapped parts in. This would be the correct cable to plug into the adapter right? It has VGA written on it which is throwing me for a loop for some reason, but that's the only 8 pin cables in my PSU's kit.

Also is there any market at all for a 780? I'm guessing since they ended driver support I might as well throw it away?

Yes, that is the cable. And you can probably get $50 - $100 for the 780 on ebay. People are still buying it for that much since the equivalent-performing GTX 1650 costs like $180 new still for some stupid reason.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yes, that is the cable. And you can probably get $50 - $100 for the 780 on ebay. People are still buying it for that much since the equivalent-performing GTX 1650 costs like $180 new still for some stupid reason.

Would ebay be the safest way to resell?