Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

Chuu posted:

I'd buy 4 slot dead silent video cards every generation if they didn't carry a ridiculous premium (£551=$890; plus the cost of fans)

The cheapest I can find a 290X for in the UK from a place I'd actually want to buy from is £515. 780s are actually cheaper over here than that.

An extra £35 for a heatsink that physically big doesn't seem that bad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Where can you get a Radeon 7990 for $500? Cheapest on Newegg is $730 after rebate.

A few 4K displays are tiled, but HDMI 2.0/DisplayPort 1.2 4K screens are not, and they will be the predominant displays.
Was a deal from newegg last week, they were as low as $630 after rebate the past month or so, then $500 no rebate last week, with the 8 game bundle. Even at $500 I'm kiiiinda regretting not just getting two 280Xs at $300 each, but on the other hand gently caress freeing up 5+ slots worth of space in my case, it's already full of drives and stuff.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Straker posted:

I don't get it either. It seems to fill a very tiny niche... 1440p single-monitor gaming for people who really really can't be bothered with SLI/crossfire and are willing to pay a huge premium to avoid it? I see people posting about the "awesome price/performance". Since when is 20% more than a 7970 for well over double the price good price:performance? :raise:

The 290X can't handle triple monitors or 4K on anything fancy with fancy settings, so you're going to need two or three of them. I guess if you're committed to cramming as much GPU in your case as possible then yeah it sorta makes sense but if not, then it seems like you'd be much less stupid to go with 7970s or 780s or whatever. 7970s are $250 now, 7990s are as low as $500 and completely wreck the Titan or 290X or anything really, it's twice the card for twice the price which makes sense since, well, it's two cards in one. AMD's frame pacing isn't perfect for multiple monitor setups (presumably including 4K for now since those are generally tiled, right?) but it's awesome for, say, a single 1440p monitor which, again, is all you'd be using a single 290X for...

I recall launch reviews saying that the Titan was 30% faster than the 7970Ghz, so the 290X should be around the same unless I'm missing something. Anyway, gone are the days of preformance doubling when going down a node, the GTX680 is what, 40-45% faster than the 580. 20nm planar seems to be underwhelming, so 20-30% more performance for the same price the 7970 launched looks pretty decent. Ignoring sli/cf profile issues, Pre-290X Crossfire doesn't work properly on multi-monitor or >1440p setups and the GTX690 is still pretty pricy and limited to 2GB VRAM. After a certain point more performance costs disproportionally more, I mean you could have gotten an unlockable 6950 for about half the price of a 580 a bit after those launched. The hype is more due to the fact that the 290X brings high end prices more in line with the previous gens.

Edit: Also, with how AMD Pro parts have traditionally turned out, I wouldn't be surprised about a 450$ 290 that's clock for clock only about 5% slower than the full part.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 26, 2013

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrBadidea posted:

The cheapest I can find a 290X for in the UK from a place I'd actually want to buy from is £515. 780s are actually cheaper over here than that.

An extra £35 for a heatsink that physically big doesn't seem that bad at all.

Why is gaming hardware so gently caress-off expensive over there?

Chuu fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Oct 26, 2013

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Chuu posted:

I'd buy 4 slot dead silent video cards every generation if they didn't carry a ridiculous premium (£551=$890; plus the cost of fans)
Having a noiseless videocard owns. It's one of those things, like a SSD, that you don't really notice when you have it but you sure as hell notice when you don't. I'll probably end up cutting the fins on this Accelero cooler when I upgrade, assuming it mostly fits on the next card & it's a reference model.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

jkyuusai posted:

From a little bit further down in that thread:
290X Fan Test

Had my headphones in - ripped them out when it hit 100%.

Holy poo poo. Possibly a good time to look at those EK waterblocks.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Arzachel posted:

Edit: Also, with how AMD Pro parts have traditionally turned out, I wouldn't be surprised about a 450$ 290 that's clock for clock only about 5% slower than the full part.

If there aren't any 290Xs in stock I could see these being picked up rather quickly.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Chuu posted:

Why is gaming hardware so gently caress-off expensive over there?

Higher cost of living, and taxes.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Just FYI, looks like quite a few people (myself included) are getting errors trying to redeem BF4 from the R9 290x pack-in. Hope they get it sorted out really drat quick :(

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

8astard0 posted:

Holy poo poo. Possibly a good time to look at those EK waterblocks.

As another poster mentioned, might be good to see if some of those cards have similar reference board designs that can use existing aftermarket coolers. I'd hope that since the 280x is just a rebranded 7970, any cooler that fits the 7970 would work with a 280x, but not sure about the 290/290x cards. Guess it's worth a shot, probably just need to take some measurements for the screw holes on the cooler and the size of the PCB to see what could potentially work.

Additionally, has anyone with Nvidia problems recently tried any full-on OCD type driver removal? When I went from my Nvidia cards to using an HD6970, I not only did the typical steps to remove the Nvidia stuff (uninstall drivers, boot to safe mode, clean with CCleaner/Driver Sweeper, install fresh AMD drivers) but went through CCleaner and a couple other registry cleaning tools to make sure ALL the Nvidia entries were cleaned out thoroughly. I figure it might be worth a shot for anyone that had newer Nvidia driver problems and want to roll back, to wipe everything as clean as possible before doing a reinstall and see if that makes a difference. So far I've never had a problem with a driver upgrade/downgrade, it takes a few minutes longer but it's worth it to me if there's no issues with BSODs or other performance quirks.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
The mounting screws for AMD cards haven't changed since IIRC the 3-series cards. Some have chips in weird places but as far as the mounts for aftermarket coolers go they haven't moved in a long time. I'd be really surprised if any of the X-series cards change that.

They might move maybe if an OEM is feeling really dickish that day.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai
With all this talk about aftermarkets that are currently available fitting the 290 series, I think my course of action now will be to jump on the 290 (non-X) train before it leaves the station and bring an Arctic Accelero Xtreme III with me. I already missed the 290X train, and it seems rather unlikely that they'll be back in stock before Halloween. Besides, from the specs and benchmarks that have leaked, it doesn't seem that much weaker than its big brother. I could probably just bump up the clocks to the same as the 290X, and there would be very little difference.

Ozz81 posted:

Additionally, has anyone with Nvidia problems recently tried any full-on OCD type driver removal?

I went about as OCD as one could get concerning driver removal. I did the whole safe mode driver sweeper bit with multiple drivers to no avail. Even checked with CCleaner. Not even re-installing Windows fixed things.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ozz81 posted:

Additionally, has anyone with Nvidia problems recently tried any full-on OCD type driver removal? When I went from my Nvidia cards to using an HD6970, I not only did the typical steps to remove the Nvidia stuff (uninstall drivers, boot to safe mode, clean with CCleaner/Driver Sweeper, install fresh AMD drivers) but went through CCleaner and a couple other registry cleaning tools to make sure ALL the Nvidia entries were cleaned out thoroughly. I figure it might be worth a shot for anyone that had newer Nvidia driver problems and want to roll back, to wipe everything as clean as possible before doing a reinstall and see if that makes a difference. So far I've never had a problem with a driver upgrade/downgrade, it takes a few minutes longer but it's worth it to me if there's no issues with BSODs or other performance quirks.

Not having problems, but I still do this whole thing when new drivers come out. It's a little unneeded these days, but it only takes about 10 minutes, and I've yet to ever have a problem with a single Nvidia card I've owned, so why not.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ozz81 posted:

Additionally, has anyone with Nvidia problems recently tried any full-on OCD type driver removal?

Like Rahu X said, it still happens if you go from a zero drive, to Windows with no display driver, to any [edit] nVidia driver package more recent than March 2013.

Also if you got drivers foisted on you by Windows Update it seems that driver scouring apps can't get rid of it. And Windows installs with "fetch drivers from Windows Update" set to auto/silent. Don't install Windows with a network connection, kids!

EDIT: And now Windows Update throws 331.58 at the Fermi crowd. Bonus points for making a driver package that can at least try to figure out where they screwed up; not so much for trying to make everyone with the affected cards guinea pigs.

v v v Fine, changed. :rolleyes:

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 27, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Like Rahu X said, it still happens if you go from a zero drive, to Windows with no display driver, to any recent Forceware package.

Didn't Nvidia drop the Forceware name years ago?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I have a Sapphire 7950, one of the 950mhz ones. It's about a year old and from the day I got it I figured the fans were going to be trouble because it sounded just a bit off to me. Now at least one of the fans is really hosed and making a ton of noise under load. I don't think replacing fans is an option since they're some oddly mounted low-profile fans. I could RMA it (and I have another video card I could live with for the RMA period) or I could get an aftermarket cooler. I'm curious as to people's experiences with Sapphire customer service, aftermarket coolers that would go on this card, and in general what you might do in this situation.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

K8.0 posted:

I could RMA it (and I have another video card I could live with for the RMA period) or I could get an aftermarket cooler. I'm curious as to people's experiences with Sapphire customer service, aftermarket coolers that would go on this card, and in general what you might do in this situation.

Just me? I would definitely go with an RMA. It is their obligation. How to handle it is your call, of course.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

K8.0 posted:

I have a Sapphire 7950, one of the 950mhz ones. It's about a year old and from the day I got it I figured the fans were going to be trouble because it sounded just a bit off to me. Now at least one of the fans is really hosed and making a ton of noise under load. I don't think replacing fans is an option since they're some oddly mounted low-profile fans. I could RMA it (and I have another video card I could live with for the RMA period) or I could get an aftermarket cooler. I'm curious as to people's experiences with Sapphire customer service, aftermarket coolers that would go on this card, and in general what you might do in this situation.

Had to RMA my 6970 recently when it completely shut down my PC and stopped working altogether. Sent the RMA info over to Sapphire's support, got a response back within 48 hours, sent the card info and they approved the RMA. Only downside was having to send back at my own cost, but even then, they sent me a replacement out less than a week after I sent the bad one in. So overall, I had a good experience, less than 2 weeks turnaround between the time I put the RMA in and got another card sent. I guess it's up to you, you could RMA, or get a different aftermarket cooler, but probably cheaper to RMA (I spent all of $19 sending via USPS Priority with insurance).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I haven't seen anyone mention this yet, and I'm not sure if I should stick it here or in the monitor thread, but it looks like G-sync is going to be exclusive to Asus monitors until the end of 2014:

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/362115,nvidias-g-sync-only-with-asus-for-now.aspx

Colour me entirely disinterested. Nvidia can prise my 1440p PLS panel out of my cold dead hands.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Has anyone used anything like this before to mount their GPU at a different angle?

http://simaintl.com/store/PEXP16-RX2E.html

I am building a custom case I can't find a single example of anyone using it so I have no idea if it would work as simply as I think it should work.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

KingEup posted:

Has anyone used anything like this before to mount their GPU at a different angle?

http://simaintl.com/store/PEXP16-RX2E.html

I am building a custom case I can't find a single example of anyone using it so I have no idea if it would work as simply as I think it should work.

Those are generally used in servers, like the mention of a 2U enclosure hints at. As long as you secure the card properly, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Digital Jesus posted:

I'll mess around with it tomorrow. My Swiftech pump seems to be on its way out (only 6 weeks old, drat it) so the noise from that is making it harder to really tell (and driving me loving crazy).

This was a while ago with the current pace of this thread. Your pump probably has an air bubble in it, if you email Swiftech about it they will give you instructions on how to possibly remove it. Personally I have just put the case on it's side until I can be arsed with the procedure, and actually have some distilled water on hand to top up the reservoir.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Hamburger Test posted:

This was a while ago with the current pace of this thread. Your pump probably has an air bubble in it, if you email Swiftech about it they will give you instructions on how to possibly remove it. Personally I have just put the case on it's side until I can be arsed with the procedure, and actually have some distilled water on hand to top up the reservoir.

Yep pretty much exactly what happened. Got it sorted eventually.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

NVIDIA drops prices on GeForce GTX 780 and GTX 770 graphics cards

quote:

New prices

NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX 780 will receive a price cut over $100. That’s 499 US dollars or 430 EUR.

NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX 770 will now cost around $50 less (329 US dollars, 279 in EUR).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah I think I'm going to have to go with a 780 now. Woe is me...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Let's see if this makes it to Australia... a 780 ranges from 699 (Palit) to 899 (EVGA classified).

norg
Jul 5, 2006
Gainward Phantom (good cooler) is now £400 for the 780 or £250 for the 770, so it#s definitely made its way to the UK. Other brands not much more. Pretty sweet deal.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Well gently caress me, I just got a 760 two days ago. :emo:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Ahaha this rules. $500, that is a big ol' gently caress-you-kindly to AMD. Well, this is certainly an interesting generation. Time to pick up a second 780. Because I have brain problems. :)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
This thread is not good for my health. I already have a pair of 7850s, and it's making me considering upgrading, even though I likely still won't find anything as good for the price.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Agreed posted:

Ahaha this rules. $500, that is a big ol' gently caress-you-kindly to AMD. Well, this is certainly an interesting generation. Time to pick up a second 780. Because I have brain problems. :)

This plus G-sync seals the deal for me next year, I don't care if I have to buy a dark old TN panel for it.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

And now I'm left deciding between an R9 290 with an aftermarket cooler, or an aftermarket 780.

I mean, I expected NVIDIA to drop prices, but I didn't expect the 780 to be cut by that much.

Either way, I guess I'll wait it out until midnight on the 31st for the reviews of the 290 and decide from there. Hopefully, if the 290 seems like an absolute steal, I'll be able to grab one before they sell out.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Will a Corsair TX 650 V2 be adequate for an R9 290X?

Also, what do you guys think will happen to the Titan? Will nVidia knock it down to $550? That seems reasonable as the Titan and the 290X are comparable cards.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 28, 2013

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Cmdrmonkey posted:

Will a Corsair TX 650 V2 be adequate for an R9 290X?

Also, what do you guys think will happen to the Titan? Will nVidia knock it down to $550? That seems reasonable as the Titan and the 290X are comparable cards.

I speculate it'll stay parked at least close to where it's at, and the 780Ti will be the intermediary card for highest gaming performance on GK110-based cards. Titan has the full DP option, it's the first card where that was very much on purpose as opposed to just kinda testing the waters. It's an entry level CUDA card, that also just happens to be good at games because of its transistor density and architecture. Moving the Titan down in price to meet the 290X would be loving with the purpose of Titan in the market in the first place, in my opinion. We'll see, though, they have a lot invested in the Titan nomenclature. They might give it a spec bump (change the binning so that current Titan-quality chips go to 780Ti, and something higher goes to the Titan label) to justify keeping it where it's at. Who knows?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Rahu X posted:

I mean, I expected NVIDIA to drop prices, but I didn't expect the 780 to be cut by that much.

I really, really wish I had a better idea of the marginal cost of semiconductor fab, specifically how much per wafer at TSMC 28nm and how many 780 dies can fit on a wafer.

I'm gonna piece together what I can for an estimate: In 2011, TSMC estimated that 1% of its revenue comes from 28nm production, or about $35-40 million per month, covering 7-10 thousand 28nm wafers. Now, that includes both 28HPL (low-leakage for tablets) and 28HP (high-performance, GPU stuff). But let's assume one cost per 28nm wafer and that's anywhere from $3500 to ~$5700 per wafer. That's gonna include services like tape-outs and design stuff, but for a first approximation, $4600 could be worse.

Note on refinement: I would imagine that this would get cheaper over time, but at the same time the capacity is highly sought after so maybe not.

Next, chips per wafer. A 300mm wafer gives 70685 mm2. GK110 is 551 mm2. Let's just say we lose 5% of the wafer at the edges, shot in the dark, and that gives us about 121, 122 GK110s per wafer.

So the marginal cost per GK110 is about $38 (including flawed/discarded chips).

Given that tons of GK110s sell in ultra-high-margin Tesla cards, making a lot of money to cover the R&D already, I would say that there's plenty of headroom for GeForce 780s to get cheaper, at least as far as the chip goes.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Factory Factory posted:

I really, really wish I had a better idea of the marginal cost of semiconductor fab, specifically how much per wafer at TSMC 28nm and how many 780 dies can fit on a wafer.

I'm gonna piece together what I can for an estimate: In 2011, TSMC estimated that 1% of its revenue comes from 28nm production, or about $35-40 million per month, covering 7-10 thousand 28nm wafers. Now, that includes both 28HPL (low-leakage for tablets) and 28HP (high-performance, GPU stuff). But let's assume one cost per 28nm wafer and that's anywhere from $3500 to ~$5700 per wafer. That's gonna include services like tape-outs and design stuff, but for a first approximation, $4600 could be worse.

Note on refinement: I would imagine that this would get cheaper over time, but at the same time the capacity is highly sought after so maybe not.

Next, chips per wafer. A 300mm wafer gives 70685 mm2. GK110 is 551 mm2. Let's just say we lose 5% of the wafer at the edges, shot in the dark, and that gives us about 121, 122 GK110s per wafer.

So the marginal cost per GK110 is about $38 (including flawed/discarded chips).

Given that tons of GK110s sell in ultra-high-margin Tesla cards, making a lot of money to cover the R&D already, I would say that there's plenty of headroom for GeForce 780s to get cheaper, at least as far as the chip goes.

Not the marginal cost so much as the silicon cost. I think there might be some other costs in materials and putting the things together. Wild guess.

By the way guys, 780ti is going to cost $700, for some reason.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Magic Underwear posted:

Not the marginal cost so much as the silicon cost. I think there might be some other costs in materials and putting the things together. Wild guess.

By the way guys, 780ti is going to cost $700, for some reason.

Hmm. Well prices have already fallen.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130923

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Hm, looks like only some of the cards have the new price right now. Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer for the ASUS DC2, really glad I waited though.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
GTX 770 for $330...so tempting but I'm going to wait until Maxwell because my ASUS 660Ti is still working good at 1080p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

This is exactly why the 290X was not a "meh" card as many people were claiming. The performance/price ratio it brought to the table was incredible, and was going to force a response from Nvidia. At 499 base MSRP, a factory OC'd 780 GTX is a good buy over the 290X unless you play at a very high resolution. I'm eager to see what Nvidia brings with the Ti that isn't already covered by the custom 780s and Titan.