Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tab8715 posted:

How do you know it's throttling?

The first thing I noticed was choppy gameplay after about 2 hours of straight playing, and when I would check the overdrive panel I could see GPU activity wasn't pegged at 99% and the GPU core was being downclocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai
Regarding the VRM cooling issues on the Xtreme III again, it seems that an Accelero Hybrid would be the better option to go with for now, as it actually has a fan dedicated to cooling the VRAM and VRMs.

VRM temps on the Accelero Hybrid under load on Furmark.

It's a bit more of a pricier option for sure, but if it means cooler VRM temps and better OCing potential, I'd pay an extra $30.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
A site actually reviewed the R7 250. It sits between the 7730 and the 7750 in performance. Closer to the 7750, though.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
I bought a EVGA GTX 780 ACX/FTW whatever version at the beginning of the month. Looks like I can use their step-up program to hop to a 780ti for ~145 bucks - more for better shipping that I'd probably shoot for.

Someone tell me I shouldn't do it. (Do the other thing)

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

KingEup posted:

Has anyone used anything like this before to mount their GPU at a different angle?

http://simaintl.com/store/PEXP16-RX2E.html

I am building a custom case I can't find a single example of anyone using it so I have no idea if it would work as simply as I think it should work.

mayodreams posted:

Those are generally used in servers, like the mention of a 2U enclosure hints at. As long as you secure the card properly, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Hoorah! I bought this thing and it works.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Someone earlier mentioned the 7990 - as I recall, that card had TERRIBLE problems with cooling at launch (like, review units were dying) and I'm not sure they've addressed them fully. If you want that level of performance in one card, get it with a big-rear end single GPU card, two 7970s on one card is a bad idea.

goobernoodles posted:

I bought a EVGA GTX 780 ACX/FTW whatever version at the beginning of the month. Looks like I can use their step-up program to hop to a 780ti for ~145 bucks - more for better shipping that I'd probably shoot for.

Someone tell me I shouldn't do it. (Do the other thing)

If I could afford to do it, I'd do it in a second. Fully enabled GK110? Fuuuuuck. That's WAY more difference than R9 290 vs. R9 290x. It's still price:performance dumb dumb but it is the absolute pinnacle of nVidia's single-GPU performance and when overclocked keeps up with or can even outperform two 680s in SLI unless they happen to both be blistering overclockers as well. Thing is THE powerhouse graphics card, just expensive.

Edit: Not even kidding, I would sell anyone who wants it my EVGA GTX 780 SC with ACX cooler for $450 shipped within the CONUS, it overclocks well, is very quiet, and performs exactly like you'd expect a high-clocking GTX 780 to perform (I had a previously distorted view on how well the average GTX 780 overclocks, it turns out that 1163MHz is actually really good and only the very best ones can be stable at 1200MHz core!). It has a more aggressive BIOS turbo bin and voltage setup than most 780s on the market, can reach 1.2V without any BIOS modification. There are more than two years left on its transferable warranty. Reason being, I really want a 780Ti. I know you're out there, someone, let's do this :pcgaming:

Somebody help me make a terrible decision!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 13, 2013

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Dont do it Agreed! Get a grip on yourself! I would now grab you from your shirt collar and slap you around.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Animal posted:

Dont do it Agreed! Get a grip on yourself! I would now grab you from your shirt collar and slap you around.

Fully, enabled, GK110, on, a, consumer, card, I want it so bad man you have no idea

Plus we got a pretty good Christmas bonus, this is a mistake I want to make :qq:

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Agreed posted:

Fully, enabled, GK110, on, a, consumer, card, I want it so bad man you have no idea

Plus we got a pretty good Christmas bonus, this is a mistake I want to make :qq:

$450 shipped to Australia? Haha

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Agreed posted:

I would totally buy your card if it weren't for the fact I'm waiting to pick up either a 780 (MSI Lightning) or a R9-290 (likely ASUS) that has load indicating LEDs, so I can look through my new case's window at the magnificent changing color bling.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Guni posted:

$450 shipped to Australia? Haha

Previous edit included the following:

"Shipping not included for international buyers, and buyer assumes all risk once the item has left U.S. borders" ...

... but then I remembered that it's an incredible pain in the rear end to try to sell internationally when you don't use paypal for transactions.

Which is definitely a bit anachronistic in the year of our lord and savior Jesus Christ 2013, I know, but I have a list of references a mile long from people who have bought stuff from me via USPS Postal Money Order.

My lovely local bank here in Nowhere, Arkansas has terrible online banking with very poor support for anything newer than 1985 and with the lack of Paypal to act as an intermediary for the conversion and instant delivery, anything international is a total pain in the rear end, so I generally stick to domestic only unless it's a very rare transaction, and while I would love to sell this thing so that I can make the next mistake in a long list of sad, stupid decisions related to graphics cards and I'd love to be able to cut you poor folks down under a break since you get shafted on virtually every product made, I'm gonna have to stay CONUS only to make the no-paypal thing less of an encumbrance to someone willing to buy this sucker and get me closer to the goal of being :pcgaming: + :downs: as all hell.

Sorry potential non-U.S. video card buying persons :cry: I wish my bank didn't suck poo poo or I'd totally be down, I promise :argh:

SourKraut posted:

I would totally buy your card if it weren't for the fact I'm waiting to pick up either a 780 (MSI Lightning) or a R9-290 (likely ASUS) that has load indicating LEDs, so I can look through my new case's window at the magnificent changing color bling.

Color changing is okaaay, I guess, but I think if you objectively evaluate your options you'll find that regardless of how far out of your way you have to go to enable this incredibly poor decision on my part, well, realistically speaking that's probably the best move. Let's be honest, I've got my finger on the pulse of this little niche, you dig it, I know a thing or two about graphics cards, and I gotta say, this is pretty good advice, just letting you know what's up, is all, doing my part.

:kiddo:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 13, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Agreed posted:

It may do well lower down, but at 3840x2160, it's essentially the same against the vastly cheaper 290X.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

It may do well lower down, but at 3840x2160, it's essentially the same against the vastly cheaper 290X.

I prefer nVidia cards, and I also don't think any current single card setup is ready to perform exceptionally well at 4K or above, at least not with any modern game engines at visually pleasing settings. If you want to do ultra high resolution gaming right now, you're going to have to go with more than one card. I also don't particularly like going with more than one card, so the solution I'm picking is to not use that high of a resolution, and to use a single GPU. :)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Totally fair, but I guess I just mean to say that a fully enabled GK110 hasn't exactly turned the market on its head in the dramatic fashion as imagined it might.

Honestly, recalling that you had a 780 running at insane clocks, I don't think there's dramatic improvement to be had.

That said, if you want to pick one up, overclock the hell out of it, then I'm sure you can get some impressive results..

Edit: oh, and there's a 6GiB and even 12GiB versions of 780Ti. Goddamn.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Nov 13, 2013

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Trip report on installing Accelero Extreme III on 2 r9 290s. One card works amazing (50C @ load GPU temps, vrms stay nice and cool too). The fan is on a straight 12v rail.

The other card has a short somewhere between the PCIe power connectors and the rest of the GPU. Had to take it apart, clean off all the thermal glue and will try again tonight. :negative: Hopefully I didn't kill the card :(

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

Stanley Pain posted:

Trip report on installing Accelero Extreme III on 2 r9 290s. One card works amazing (50C @ load GPU temps, vrms stay nice and cool too). The fan is on a straight 12v rail.

The other card has a short somewhere between the PCIe power connectors and the rest of the GPU. Had to take it apart, clean off all the thermal glue and will try again tonight. :negative: Hopefully I didn't kill the card :(

That's great to know. How did you remove the thermal adhesive though? I keep hearing that stuff is permanent once applied, or at least if you try to remove the glued parts, you could cause potential damage to the RAM and VRMs.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rahu X posted:

That's great to know. How did you remove the thermal adhesive though? I keep hearing that stuff is permanent once applied, or at least if you try to remove the glued parts, you could cause potential damage to the RAM and VRMs.

Curing for only an hour means the adhesive is still kind malleable and you can remove things rather easily.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Unnnnfffff. You want your fully-enabled GK110, and I want to jump over to the green team for a new monitor with G-Sync eventually.

My means are a bit scarce though, I'd need to find someone who would take my secondhand 7970 to cover some of it. What do they go for now with the 280X replacing them nowadays, $200? Mine's a Gigabyte and as far as I can tell, its rev. 1.0 means it's not voltage-locked and it hasn't been penny-pinched much in terms of materials--essentially the WindForce 3 cooler slapped onto a teal reference PCB. I'd ran it at my preference at 1150/1575 for a while now and I hadn't even bothered to try going higher with it because I just think that's ludicrous.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Unnnnfffff. You want your fully-enabled GK110, and I want to jump over to the green team for a new monitor with G-Sync eventually.

My means are a bit scarce though, I'd need to find someone who would take my secondhand 7970 to cover some of it. What do they go for now with the 280X replacing them nowadays, $200? Mine's a Gigabyte and as far as I can tell, its rev. 1.0 means it's not voltage-locked and it hasn't been penny-pinched much in terms of materials--essentially the WindForce 3 cooler slapped onto a teal reference PCB. I'd ran it at my preference at 1150/1575 for a while now and I hadn't even bothered to try going higher with it because I just think that's ludicrous.

Y'know, I may know someone who'll take that off your hands. Let me check in with him.

Edit: He's interested. There's the matter of details of course, but he'd be willing.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 13, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
My 2nd waterblock will be here today :)

Oh, and just for a little tickle of how I play mah games.

This is what it's like when pubs cry.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

Not only at 3840x2160, the 290X is pretty much the same performance clock for clock as the 780ti in most synthetics except Valley: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1855542.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I'm likely to pick up a second 760 to run in SLI, particularly if I can find a good deal around the holidays.

I've never run a multi-GPU setup, are there still issues with SLI that I should be aware of? I remember reading about stuff like microstutter and sync issues in the past, and certain games not being able to take advantage of the multiple graphics cards.

Are those SLI issues mostly things of the past?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Heatsinks are re-curing. Here's hoping I don't have a dead card :(

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Ghostpilot posted:

Y'know, I may know someone who'll take that off your hands. Let me check in with him.

Edit: He's interested. There's the matter of details of course, but he'd be willing.

You've got my attention, but yeah, this is all dependent on a couple of things:

one, Agreed agreeing to another game of Hand Down The Enthusiast Card To The Next Guy, and

two, me figuring things out instead of being a dumb babby and not having PMs nor ever having done any trading over SA before.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

one, Agreed agreeing to another game of Hand Down The Enthusiast Card To The Next Guy, and

two, me figuring things out instead of being a dumb babby and not having PMs nor ever having done any trading over SA before.

If Agreed's down for it, then sure. Just toss me an e-mail at my username at gmail.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Can we assume third party non-reference R9-290 will help keep it competitive with the more expensive cards ? Do we know if they even come out this year ?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Woot, both cards are fine. Idling at 41C, load temps around 55C. So happy :D

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I can address concerns in order:

1. The main thing for me being able to sell my card is that it relies on there being some non-reference models out there available for purchase. I don't want to end up stuck on my 650Ti for an indeterminate amount of time because I can't find a 780Ti SC ACX, if you dig it, but I've got EVGA set up to notify me as soon as they're in stock and once that question is answered, card is immediately released for sale.

2a. PMs aren't necessary, you can email me at my username at gmail dot com, just make sure to put something about SA and the graphics card in the title so I can spot it. Had the account since invites were going for $10+ a pop back in 2004 and it is spam central. Dictionary word + gmail + time = holy poo poo does that space get used up fast.

2b. I have done quite a bit of selling and buying on SA and I should hope that there are at least a handful of previous buyers that are satisfied folks who would vouch for me. I'm not about to gently caress anyone over. I'll even do my best to help support you after the sale if you ever have any issues or need to know anything about messing with the card, though I gather you're pretty well-informed :)

Basically, this card goes on sale the minute I can lock in a purchase on a good factory OC'd 780Ti with aftermarket cooling. Strongly prefer EVGA, for reasons that may be obvious: they've been great to me for the past four or five cards and I don't see that changing, and their pricing on the ACX coolers is very fair (since they probably cost less than the reference cooler) plus they have a more aggressive BIOS than stock models.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm definitely okay with waiting and I hope Ghostpilot's friend is okay with waiting too.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

-Malaysian King Kai

Stanley Pain posted:

Woot, both cards are fine. Idling at 41C, load temps around 55C. So happy :D

That's great to hear.

I have one other question though. Did you have to use any more heatsinks than the ones that came with the coolers? I'd assume not if Tom's was able to install it just fine, but I also hear conflicting reports on more heatsinks being required.

Just curious, as I'm getting sort of impatient waiting for the guide from Tom's, and from most of the installation videos I've seen on other GPUs, it actually seems really simple. Just takes awhile because of the curing is all.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rahu X posted:

That's great to hear.

I have one other question though. Did you have to use any more heatsinks than the ones that came with the coolers? I'd assume not if Tom's was able to install it just fine, but I also hear conflicting reports on more heatsinks being required.

Just curious, as I'm getting sort of impatient waiting for the guide from Tom's, and from most of the installation videos I've seen on other GPUs, it actually seems really simple. Just takes awhile because of the curing is all.

There aren't enough single heatsinks for the memory but you can more than make due with some of the other heatsinks you get in the kit. You also have to use one of the small ones for one of the heatsinks on the memory that's closest to the PCIe connector or else the mounting bracket won't fit. Out side of that I didn't have to "mod" anything.

The installation is very straight forward. My only word of caution would be make absolutely, positively sure you aren't shorting anything near the VRMs. :)

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Welp, either my GPU is dying or the factory overclock is causing issues, because I've been getting driver resets/freezes/crashes, but if I underclock the card to stock (it's a 560ti @900MHz, stock is 822MHz where it seems stable). How do I force the card back down to 822MHz and stay there? I've been using Nvidia inspector to underclock it but if I forget to underclock every time I boot my computer and I play a game, it doesn't take long for it to go badly.

I'd like to permanently bump it back down to stock, whatever performance boost it gets is not worth it.

Anyway, if I do have to get a new card, how does the R9 290 compare to the 4GB 770? The 290 is a tad more expensive here but if it's faster than the 4GB 770 I might get it instead.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Dropping it to reference clocks doesn't help.

nVidia screwed up the drivers for all Fermi cards about six months ago (the 560 Ti is merely the most popular of them) in the sense that they can't remain stable for more than a day or two. With the latest drivers it's closer to an hour or two. (I'm not willing to substantiate claims of permanent damage until someone not from the GeForce forums can reproduce it.) And it's taken this long for nVidia to admit a problem even exists.

Scram the driver and put on 314.22. Or 314.07. If you want to play Battlefield 4 too bad.

If you intend to replace with an R9-290 or 290X: Dear lord wait for better coolers. You'll probably be able to hear a reference cooler on one of those through circumaural headphones. (Also the R9-280X will reportedly boss anything on 1080p/x1200 so there's that.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

[This double post is brought to you by not wanting to cram two subjects in the same reply.]

What's the deal with the two DirectCU II variants of Asus's R9-280X (R9280X-DC2T-3GD5)?

One appears to be a two-slot, 6+8, lateral exhaust and the other (suffix -V2, though allegedly an earlier model) appears to be a three-slot, 8+8, blower exhaust. They seem to be the same price - around $310 floor - but the V2 is rare (possibly discontinued?), I'm curious why it draws more power since it has a slower memory clock (1500/6000 vs 1600/6400), and ASUS hasn't actually declared either model's TDP; since the 280X has a TDP of 250W on its own it doesn't seem like the V2 should need 375W headroom.

Some cases don't actually work well with lateral exhaust because of their design assumptions, but besides that, what is the functional difference between these things?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I'm looking for a decent 4GB card because I want to get a card that'll last a long as possible since I can't be buying video cards once a year.

Is it really just the driver? I feel like the card has been doing this since I got it but I guess it has been a little more severe lately. Dropping it down to reference clocks seems to help unless it's just a placebo/coincidence.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Not much crosses 2 GB yet (Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim + supermods, etc) and if eighth-gen console ports drive needs past 3 GB, having 4 GB probably won't save you - especially because after decades of doing GPUs, manufacturers have gotten pretty good at allocating reference RAM pools to fit the capabilities of their cards. You might need more for a multi-GPU setup, but the next card that can reliably and without trouble be multi-carded will be the first.

It might not be just the driver, but that's probably the cheapest/least effort thing that can be done to check it. Reports pretty consistently point out that dropping to reference clocks doesn't help much (although you might be lucky, but give it a week uptime on 314 and see.)

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

I'm not sure I follow, do you mean by the time games actually start using more than 3GB I'll likely need a new video card anyway? Or are the 4GB versions of cards bad bandwidth wise?

I'm gonna test Crysis 3 at reference clocks with my 560ti for a while and see if it crashes, I'll go back down to 314 if it does.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Agreed posted:

Someone earlier mentioned the 7990 - as I recall, that card had TERRIBLE problems with cooling at launch (like, review units were dying) and I'm not sure they've addressed them fully. If you want that level of performance in one card, get it with a big-rear end single GPU card, two 7970s on one card is a bad idea.
...you can't. That's what they exist for. There's no way to beat that price:performance (or performance at all) in one card, otherwise you'd be a loving idiot to want do it with two GPUs instead of one. Mine stays at reasonable temps but I don't have it stuffed in a tiny case or anything.

I don't recall seeing any heat problems with single cards but like I posted (here or maybe in the BF4 thread or something) it's nearly impossible to crossfire two 7990s which is hilarious in its own right - the top left of four GPUs will get unusably crashy hot under almost all circumstances. Luckily, I haven't tried for myself, because the only reason I'm using a 7990 instead of two 7970s or 280Xes or whatever is because of how cheap I got mine for and because using 3 slots worth of space in my case (I have a ton of drives and cable routing to accommodate) instead of half a dozen is really nice.

I see there are 7990s for $630 with rebates again, but even that price is iffy to me... for that much money you may as well get two 280Xes if there's any way you can make it work.

Straker fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 14, 2013

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Speaking of SLI/crossfire, I know that blowers are the best for SLIing, but what happens if you can't get a blower type card? For instance if I wanted to SLI 4GB 770's or 760's, I don't have the option of a blower, only a open air cooler (pretty sure that's what you call them). How does having non-reference, open coolers affect temps and such? Is the answer case flow? Water cooling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Straker posted:

...you can't. That's what they exist for.

The 780Ti actually does rub shoulders with the 690 and 7990, though. All that stuff they cut out for the 780 becomes a major performance booster when overclocked to near or over 1200MHz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTz6su5gZDE

Seriously :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02tBHl2czgU

I'd like a broader sample but everyone with one of the things is screaming about their overclocking (except some poor fuckers in Hong Kong that got a batch that blew up, oops...) and I can hear them when I sleep