Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redeyes posted:

Got my money back from one of those 130 bux geforce 1080tis on ebay. Took about a month. Not worth the trouble.

waaaaaaahhh, im so surprised that happened. literally no one said it would happen that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Horrendous, isn't it.

Every time I touch one I wonder how the heck we used the PC before SSD's.

I do remember running a bit leaner. Less running in the background, I often went without AV until Late XP-Windows 7 when Defender/Security Essentials actually got gud. (AV slowed everything down measurably).

Throwing an SSD into even the oldest system makes it run immensely faster and as long as you have enough ram, throwing the bottleneck directly back onto the CPU for normal PC related task breaths life into stuff even as old as a P4.

Not like I wan't to keep any P4's alive for anything but novelty sake, but It is still something to witness for sure.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

redeyes posted:

Got my money back from one of those 130 bux geforce 1080tis on ebay. Took about a month. Not worth the trouble.

so what were you reasonably expecting here? testing the refund policy? hoping it was some computer inept person selling computer stuff that they inherited?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I just wish I could get a loving 1060 for a not bonkers price. That's all. Just a loving 1060 3gb for at or around MSRP.

EVGA puts them up sometimes at around $285 shipped. Some of that is because they aren't in the business of free shipping like the big retailers are, and some of that is because the MSRP on such a card has gone up like $30 this year between shortages and RAM price increases.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

buglord posted:

so what were you reasonably expecting here? testing the refund policy? hoping it was some computer inept person selling computer stuff that they inherited?

I think some people figure they can get a refund without having to return the card (which doesn't always work, sometimes eBay will demand you mail it back to China like they did when I got a counterfeit dashcam)... setting out to scam from the scammers is at best is waste of time, as others have said. I don't even think you're teaching the scammers a lesson since it's mostly Chinese people who got the cards for pennies on the dollar. They're making a profit even if they only get away with it 10% of the time, thanks to government subsidized shipping and low cost of living.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

EdEddnEddy posted:

Not like I wan't to keep any P4's alive for anything but novelty sake, but It is still something to witness for sure.

It really says everything that you can get compact flash adapters for most old computers, because loading poo poo off of even slow, old CF cards is still unbelievably faster than those terrible harddrives. Or god forbid, floppy or tape.

A year or so ago, i dug out all of my old spinny disk HDs and put em in an old Phenom system just to make sure they were all wiped, and the thing sounded like a goddamn jet engine taking off even with no fans running. We really put up with so much back then just to get them syck games baby

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I just wish Flash would really start to expand in capacity per $ so we can finally get 1-2TB SSD's for like $100 at least.

I still rock 2 2TB WD Blacks in my main rig for Steam+Other Large crap because SSD's are just to drat expensive for that sort of storage and the fact that I have crap internet so if I want to play that 60G Game, it needs to be installed and patched a few days in advance.

The day I can finally replace all HDD in all of my systems with enough space is going to be a happy day.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Games are the best thing to run off an SSD (besides OS), you’re crazy for not picking up even a cheap OCZ or something for that purpose. 500gb is all you need, if you have more games than that just make the judgement call about which games need it and which don’t.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it doesnt seem to be a popular opinion but I am super happy with my 32gb optane m.2. I paired it with a huge 7200rpm hdd and it feels very much like an SSD. I have a pc with a nvme boot drive and another with a sata evo 850 boot drive and its not noticeably worse. They are all super fast.

If they keep supporting it i will definitely put optane in my next build

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 23, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

it doesnt seem to be a popular opinion but I am super happy with my 32gb optane m.2. I paired it with a huge 7200rpm hdd and it feels very much like an SSD. I have a pc with a nvme boot drive and another with a sata evo 850 boot drive and its not noticeably worse. They are all super fast.

If they keep supporting it i will definitely put optane in my next build

Does an OS even fit on a 32gb m.2?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Optante is an SSD cache, basically it automatically caches most frequently accessed data. So it doesn't cache the whole OS, just the parts of it relevant to making it run faster in typical usage. I used to have a similar setup years go with Intel Smart Response, not sure if Optane works better than that or not. SRT worked pretty well but had a lot of limitations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oh it's a hybrid drive.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

I have a GTX 970 laying around which I'm not using, but it's missing the box/packaging/anti-static bag. It hasn't been used for any mining bullshit. What's my best bet for selling it and not getting hosed? eBay?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

VelociBacon posted:

Oh it's a hybrid drive.

It's a small NVMe drive that if you have the right chipset you can enable a software-driven hybrid-ish mode. It's definitely better than pure spinning rust but it's still kinda nonsense that Intel is promoting their latest, greatest SSD technology for that use case when basically any other SSD would be just as good.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VelociBacon posted:

Oh it's a hybrid drive.

pretty much but its separated into 2 separate devices and isnt limited by SATA speeds so its able to actually mimic a quality SDD instead of being worse than the sum of its parts. A 500GB ssd would be better in strictly speed but Optane and a much larger hdd is a stronger value by a lot

If they let you do it with just any NVME is would still be really fast and then AMD could get in on it too.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 23, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
What program are you using to do the caching here? Storage Spaces?

It's kinda stupid but I've thought seriously about getting a 240 GB or 480 GB Optane drive to cache in 2x8 TB SATA drives. I've never done it before but in principle it should be a best-of-both-worlds scenario.

wolrah posted:

It's a small NVMe drive that if you have the right chipset you can enable a software-driven hybrid-ish mode. It's definitely better than pure spinning rust but it's still kinda nonsense that Intel is promoting their latest, greatest SSD technology for that use case when basically any other SSD would be just as good.

Optane does legitimately have very good performance at low QD, which is the scenario that consumers will be running in most of the time. NVMe is not all that fast in low QD secenarios - still a lot faster than SATA, but a lot slower than the theoretical maximum.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paul MaudDib posted:

What program are you using to do the caching here? Storage Spaces?

It's kinda stupid but I've thought seriously about getting a 240 GB or 480 GB Optane drive to cache in 2x8 TB SATA drives. I've never done it before but in principle it should be a best-of-both-worlds scenario.

Optane does legitimately have very good performance at low QD, which is the scenario that consumers will be running in most of the time. NVMe is not all that fast in low QD secenarios - still a lot faster than SATA, but a lot slower than the theoretical maximum.

The optane drivers from intel. It works really well for things that the average user notice. Faster than SATA SSD boot times. Faster browser startup, barely slower than 850 evo game loading because some of the larger games dont fully cache.

It almost exclusively caches tons of small files and by design does not help with large file transfer.

I found some benchmarks here and my own personal results match
http://www.thessdreview.com/our-reviews/intel-optane-memory-module-review-32gb-every-pc-user-know/6/

The large optane SSDs are way better than the 16 and 32gb memory sticks

Looking at my usage stats. I would probably be fine with the 16gb instead of the 32 I have

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 23, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It's stupid that the Intel drivers only work with Z270/Z370/X299 though. That would be an amazing use for my extra lanes on my 5820K or a hypothetical upgrade to a 5960X/6950X.

I'm vaguely planning a rebuild sometime in a year or two (Cascade Lake or Threadripper-2), and I'll give that some serious thought.

There's really no OS-level alternative here? ZFS doesn't persist its cache through reboots, unfortunately.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

any board, provided it has pcie m.2, could use an optane module for the paging file.

8gb ram + 16gb optane with your windows swap file is significantly cheaper than buying 16gb ram outright

if you really want to use optane for real though, just wait for the 60/120gb drives that are coming out Q2-ish.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 23, 2018

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I wonder, are there any programs allow use of GPU RAM as general system RAM for when you aren't using it?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Alpha Mayo posted:

I wonder, are there any programs allow use of GPU RAM as general system RAM for when you aren't using it?

I wouldn't think so seeing as GDDR is generally more scarce and not as low latency-to-chipset as actual ram.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

any board, provided it has pcie m.2, could use an optane module for the paging file.

8gb ram + 16gb optane with your windows swap file is significantly cheaper than buying 16gb ram outright

if you really want to use optane for real though, just wait for the 60/120gb drives that are coming out Q2-ish.

arent there already pcie 400gb optane or are they going to release it in the same m.2 form factor in larger sizes because i would be all about that

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Those 400gb optanes are hilariously expensive for what they do (slower ram cache). Just get a bigger SSD for the price, IMO, the difference in access times probably isn't even noticeable for desktop use.

EdEddnEddy posted:

I just wish Flash would really start to expand in capacity per $ so we can finally get 1-2TB SSD's for like $100 at least.

Not gonna happen while ram prices are so high, unfortunately. AFAIK ram/flash processes are fairly similar, so why make some money on nvram fabs when you can make all the money on ram fabs?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Sent from my iPad posted:

I have a GTX 970 laying around which I'm not using, but it's missing the box/packaging/anti-static bag. It hasn't been used for any mining bullshit. What's my best bet for selling it and not getting hosed? eBay?

Every time I try to sell something on ebay I regret it. I would suggest SA Mart, I don't think I've ever had a bad experience selling to a goon.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Definitely either SA Mart or /r/hardwareswap on Reddit.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I've sold poo poo on facebook and letgo successfully.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Alpha Mayo posted:

There were some HOW-TOs around on using half of your 32mb VRAM geforce card as swap on linux. Must've been around the gf3 era. You could force the closed-source driver to only use half of the VRAM, and swap on the other half over the AGP/PCI address space mapped aperture. The trick might work again with 64-bit apertures, I believe 32-bit apertures used a windowed approach to avoid losing all your address space to VRAM mapping.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Ram over pcie isn't going to be all that nice though, and gddr also sacrifices latency for bandwidth. Using it as some sort of cache for big files might work well?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

EdEddnEddy posted:

Every time I touch one I wonder how the heck we used the PC before SSD's.

I do remember running a bit leaner. Less running in the background, I often went without AV until Late XP-Windows 7 when Defender/Security Essentials actually got gud. (AV slowed everything down measurably).

Throwing an SSD into even the oldest system makes it run immensely faster and as long as you have enough ram, throwing the bottleneck directly back onto the CPU for normal PC related task breaths life into stuff even as old as a P4.

It was terrible since 2009 or so, getting an x25 ssd and every other machine I used suddenly felt prehistoric.

I was telling my friend since 2009 to get an SSD, and he didn't bother until just over a year ago. He is still feeling the epiphany of ssds.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Newegg sent me an alert that the 1080ti I was interested in is back in stock, but it's $50 bucks higher now for $849.99.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I did notice Newegg has stock of a bunch of Gigabyte 1080ti + Z370 mobo bundles for what is... approaching a realistic price if you needed a motherboard anyway. Plus the Aorus cooler on those are top notch

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
One of these days I'll find a bundle that features an ITX motherboard.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It was terrible since 2009 or so, getting an x25 ssd and every other machine I used suddenly felt prehistoric.

I was telling my friend since 2009 to get an SSD, and he didn't bother until just over a year ago. He is still feeling the epiphany of ssds.

I went from no SSD's (Raid-0 74G WDRaptors) to a single 120G SuperTalent SSD which still functions well to this day, to a Raid-0 Plextor M3P setup and have not looked back.

Every time I touch a normal HDD system I can feel the minutes tick away for what should only be fractions of seconds on my systems. :sigh:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

couldcareless posted:

One of these days I'll find a bundle that features an ITX motherboard.

It'll never happen, Newegg is using the bundles to move junk that nobody wants.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PerrineClostermann posted:

That doesn't sound like "Pretty Sure"

From a couple days back but: you can't exactly change what a GPU is once it's taped out. So if it was definitely a gaming uarch at one point, and it somehow ends up being a crypto uarch, then we're in some dumb scenario where NVIDIA decided to take the name from one uarch and give it to another after it was already sampling out to partners.

Pretty unlikely IMO, but whatever. Seems like people are grasping at straws to find reasons why NVIDIA wouldn't launch gaming cards. EdEddnEddy said his friend-of-a-friend at Intel already has samples, although that should be taken with a huge grain of salt (no offense, Ed). But GN is pretty confident that something is coming and it's apparently far enough along that board partners have it as well, so it does seem to fit. I think the timing sounds plausible for a Q2 launch, unless NVIDIA is going to wait 6+ months for driver tuning, which is unnecessary if it's largely just another Maxwell derivative.

From today: Massdrop is saying NVIDIA told them the shortage would continue until Q3. The statement is kind of vague and you can interpret it a lot of ways.

quote:

“While NVIDIA was here they also let us know that the pricing in the market will continue to go up through Q3 of this year most likely before we start seeing any type of relief,” Hutch says. “So, unfortunately the end to this is not right around the corner and we have not seen the worst of it yet.”

Nvidia supposedly indicated this during a visit to Massdrop HQ a few weeks ago, so this has supposedly come right from the horse’s mouth. Also, Nvidia are said to have reiterated that the shortage was due to both memory demands and the increase in demand due to cryptocurrency mining.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia-q3-graphics-card-release

My hopeful interpretation is that this means they will be launching in Q2 and the shortage will be eased by Q3 as they ramp. You could also interpret it as evidence for a launch of a crypto-specific line (which I personally think is fairly unlikely from NVIDIA), or that memory production will increase by that point (Samsung is supposedly stepping up their production). Or pessimistically, you can just interpret it as saying "they don't think it will abate before Q3 but it may continue past that."

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 24, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

EdEddnEddy posted:

I went from no SSD's (Raid-0 74G WDRaptors) to a single 120G SuperTalent SSD which still functions well to this day, to a Raid-0 Plextor M3P setup and have not looked back.

Every time I touch a normal HDD system I can feel the minutes tick away for what should only be fractions of seconds on my systems. :sigh:

I think we just got used to load times and it seemed normal. It became horribly apparent when they went away... I bet that old x25 is still going in an old ex girlfriends machine somewhere.

I really want optane to be cheap. I only need 256 gig for a system drive.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think you have this backwards. Under light, low QD loads Optane drives get beat by a number of "normal" NVMe drives. It's under the heavier loads that Optane shines, particularly on latency: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12136/the-intel-optane-ssd-900p-480gb-review/4

Alpha Mayo posted:

Not sure what there may be for PC platforms, but this was sort of a thing on PS3 Linux.

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/drivers/block/ps3vram.c

As Truga noted it's nowhere close to normal RAM performance, which is part of why they implemented it as a block device driver. The VRAM appears basically as another hard drive and it's commonly used for either swap or a temporary storage partition depending on which will help your application more.

Truga posted:

Those 400gb optanes are hilariously expensive for what they do (slower ram cache). Just get a bigger SSD for the price, IMO, the difference in access times probably isn't even noticeable for desktop use.
The big ones aren't intended to be used as just a cache drive. That's what the 16/32GB models are marketed for, the big ones are marketed as the next performance step beyond traditional flash SSDs for storage.

Of course the catch with those is that most users really hit diminishing returns even with NVMe flash vs. SATA flash. Unless you really hammer on your disk it's really hard to tell them apart in real world usage.

Then we also have the DIMM-format Optane supposedly waiting out there somewhere that can apparently be used in place of RAM, which would be insane for portable devices if it ever reaches the price and power levels required.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

I think we just got used to load times and it seemed normal. It became horribly apparent when they went away... I bet that old x25 is still going in an old ex girlfriends machine somewhere.

I really want optane to be cheap. I only need 256 gig for a system drive.

What benefit to you expect to see over an NVMe SSD?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Reddit rumor mill (i.e. low-trustworthiness):

quote:

I don’t know if you guys have heard but EVGAs are refunding all their backorders from suppliers, wholesalers, retailers and average joes.

Also, MSI Taiwan sent out an email to customers saying all Gaming X’s are EOL (end of life) already and no backorders are going to be filled.

Source: My guy who orders direct from EVGA and MSI Taiwan.

quote:

Yeah, this news came later last week. So basically all backorders that are posted after Friday last week won’t be fulfilled.

Keep in mind that these are orders directly from EVGA factories (big orders), meaning if you ordered from Amazon or Newegg, they might still have some in stock or at least coming prior to the production halt.
https://www.reddit.com/r/gpumining/comments/7xn7k5/amazon_gpu_preorders/

("last Friday" in this post would have been Feb 9)

Fits with 1080 Ti production supposedly being discontinued though.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Showerthought: what if Turing isn't a generation like Pascal or Volta, but actually a branding like Quadro/Tesla/GeForce? :staredog:

(thus it could be entirely possible that both theories are right: Turing is a mining card, but it uses the Ampere uarch, and the implication could be that NVIDIA is moving mining cards first)

I don't want to believe that, and I don't think it fits with the increasing signs that Pascal production is discontinued, but that makes a lot more sense than NVIDIA having a whole separate uarch that's just for mining.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 24, 2018