Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sepist posted:

I hope this is the right thread to ask this. Have any of you come across an issue with nVidia cards where the HDMI display will randomly crap out, and come back a few seconds later. Basically I'll be watching VLC, or playing a game, or even browsing the web, and my screen will go blank, the hdmi lost signal will pop up, and then the display will return. The drivers don't crash and nothing shows up in the windows event viewer about it. Here is what I've done so far:

- Stress tested the card, I can get it up to full load @ 53 Celsius for an extended period of time, ruling out cooling issues
- Uninstalled all drivers, then used the driver clean up tool to remove everything including the old ATI 5770 drivers
- Re-installed drivers using the latest, non beta drivers. I've tried 2 other sets of drivers and it still happens
- Underclocked the memory by 50mhz and the GPU by 45 mhz
- Moved the 660ti card from the upper PCIx16 slot to the lower one
- Set the GPU fan to go to full speed once it goes above 40 celsius, and set all of my full tower fans to go full speed

I'm at a loss at this point, my next step is to format the PC and see if it's a windows thing.

Have you tried another HDMI cable? It might not help but it's often one of the easier things to check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Yea I've swapped that out also. I am going to pick up a display port to HDMI adapter tonight to see if it is just that port that is going bad.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Have you tried with a different monitor? I'd put it on the monitor and not the card.

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

beejay posted:

You do at least get to keep your video card until your spot comes up in line for the step-up. I did the step-up from the 660 to 660Ti earlier this year and had to wait a couple weeks to get to the front of the line. The thing is you have to pay for shipping and stuff so you have to factor those costs in. I dunno, the process was quite underwhelming honestly once I was done but then again I didn't come out of it with a working card so that tainted my experience as well.

Correct, You get to keep you card until your time is up. Then you are without a card while you wait for shipping. You also don't get any of the free games/coupons from the new card (You just get a new video card). So that makes the SA mart option a better choice in the long run.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

unpronounceable posted:

Hearing things like this make me want to upgrade my GPU, even though I have no reason to. Does it still only work with fullscreen games, or can you record in windowed mode now?

Still only full screen. Not quite perfect yet :p

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Blorange posted:

I don't think we should hold up the saints row series as a sign of anything, aside from the results of rushing a pc port on a dated engine.

You say that like it's not the norm to get poo poo ports of decent games now a days. Obviously there are notable exceptions (like Ghosts that is a poo poo game with a shittier port), but like it or not this is our norm.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

weinus posted:

Still only full screen. Not quite perfect yet :p

I was in a desperate rush to lay on an e-smackdown, because I could have sworn I'd read the terms 'windowed' and 'borderless' in the patch notes of the recent update. And I did! But not in relation to Shadowplay :smith: I hope it comes, because there are some older games (that I don't run fullscreen because they don't support widescreen) I'd love to capture from using SP. Also I'm keenly looking forward to the Twitch TV integration.

But what I'd *really* like to see (and this may well be asking for too much) is the ability to do Shadowplay capture from something on one-screen, while having something happening (uncaptured, to be sure) media-wise on my other screen. Currently if Shadowplay is active at all I can't, for example, play a game while I have a video or somesuch playing on the other screen (not uncommon for me to do, if I'm chilling).

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

deimos posted:

You say that like it's not the norm to get poo poo ports of decent games now a days. Obviously there are notable exceptions (like Ghosts that is a poo poo game with a shittier port), but like it or not this is our norm.

Is it really the norm though? Since retiring my 360 a year ago and going back to PC gaming (after a gap of 6 years), I've bought a ton of cross-platform games off Steam, and most of them have looked and performed great on PC. Poorly-performant ports have definitely been in the minority.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Decent PC ports have been the norm since 2010, I believe. And, compared to Saints Row 2's port, I bet SR4 is a pretty excellent port.

veedubfreak posted:

Just as a heads up, Saints Row 4 is maxing the memory on my 290s in crossfire using 7880x1440 resolution, so it's coming sooner than people might think. At least at giant resolutions.

I'm pretty sure you'll be limited to 3GB of memory instead of 6GB with SLI or CF, so any relatively modern game maxing out your memory at 7880x1440 is not surprising in the least. I'm sure 3GB will be fine for 4K UHD for next few years. People with crazy rear end 3 1440p monitor setups may have to find cards with more RAM. Too bad the 780Ti is so expensive and scales slightly worse than the R9 290(X), or that yet-to-be-released 6GB EVGA card would be perfect for you.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The 290 has 4gb which I think is probably going to be plenty until the next gen cards come out. But I was surprised to see that SR4 did start bumping the ceiling. Not that it causes any issues in game, there's just a lot of poo poo going on at the same time in that game, especially across 3 screens. Did I mention that the game is hilariously over the top fun?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Zero VGS posted:

Have you tried with a different monitor? I'd put it on the monitor and not the card.

No, my xbox and pc both go into a hdmi splitter which then goes to my surround sound, which then goes to my TV. I've replaced the HDMI splitter already and the xbox would be screwing up if it were any of the other things..

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Three 1080p screens is 50% more pixels than a 2560x1440 screen, and halfway between a 1440p screen and 4K. It's a high resolution, and I'm not surprised that 1) a game running there needs VRAM, and 2) a 290 is doing a bang-up job with it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Factory Factory posted:

Three 1080p screens is 50% more pixels than a 2560x1440 screen, and halfway between a 1440p screen and 4K. It's a high resolution, and I'm not surprised that 1) a game running there needs VRAM, and 2) a 290 is doing a bang-up job with it.

Ahem. 3 1440 screens with 2 290x. Sort your poo poo :)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

veedubfreak posted:

Just as a heads up, Saints Row 4 is maxing the memory on my 290s in crossfire using 7880x1440 resolution, so it's coming sooner than people might think. At least at giant resolutions.

I am not going multi-monitor at any point in the foreseeable future, so it'll be whatever G-Sync resolutions present themselves as available without having to fire up my soldering iron (all evidence points to replacing the scalar board on compatible monitors but it's looking to me like that will probably be just as expensive as not doing that and instead buying a monitor that already has it in there from the factory, but with less pain in the rear end involved).

Godspeed you cracked out emperor, I wish you all the luck in the world finding ways to feed your 11,347,200 pixels* sufficiently as we continue. AMD's bridgeless crossfire allow for >2 cards?

*Reminder, 4K/"4KUHD" are becoming standardized terms, and feature 8,294,400 pixels total. Which is a bit under 30% fewer than veedubfreak is running, and also, in a properly realized technology, shouldn't require tiled output so any multi-monitor syncing overhead won't be a factor.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Sepist posted:

No, my xbox and pc both go into a hdmi splitter which then goes to my surround sound, which then goes to my TV. I've replaced the HDMI splitter already and the xbox would be screwing up if it were any of the other things..

I had nearly this same problem a few days ago when I switched from 660 to 770. I ended up taking my hdmi splitter out of the loop completely and it went away. I think my hdmi splitter still works fine, just an issue with the card negotiating with it or something.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Agreed posted:

I am not going multi-monitor at any point in the foreseeable future, so it'll be whatever G-Sync resolutions present themselves as available without having to fire up my soldering iron (all evidence points to replacing the scalar board on compatible monitors but it's looking to me like that will probably be just as expensive as not doing that and instead buying a monitor that already has it in there from the factory, but with less pain in the rear end involved).

Godspeed you cracked out emperor, I wish you all the luck in the world finding ways to feed your 11,347,200 pixels* sufficiently as we continue. AMD's bridgeless crossfire allow for >2 cards?

*Reminder, 4K/"4KUHD" are becoming standardized terms, and feature 8,294,400 pixels total. Which is a bit under 30% fewer than veedubfreak is running, and also, in a properly realized technology, shouldn't require tiled output so any multi-monitor syncing overhead won't be a factor.

Yep. I think 3 is max though. Some games actually scale really damned good. Also, did I mention I hate money and like to rid myself of it every few months?
I just did a bad thing. Bought myself Christmas.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

Yep. I think 3 is max though. Some games actually scale really damned good. Also, did I mention I hate money and like to rid myself of it every few months?
I just did a bad thing. Bought myself Christmas.

Ok, god drat it, I sold my old card for a moderate loss to someone who is very happy with it because it's a high-performing model within the model family, and I spent that money plus $300ish tops out of pocket to get a 780Ti direct. One 780Ti. In this particular, specific transaction, I'm on the hook for that $300 or so, and I get a really great card for my comparably extremely sane graphics desires.

So I have a question.

beejay posted:

Agreed, you may have jumped on the 780Ti train too soon. Report: EVGA Making GTX 780 Ti Kingpin for Overclockers

El Scotch posted:

Perhaps we could start a pool on how long it takes Agreed to get one after it's released. :getin:

Gonkish posted:

I give him half an hour, tops.

Schiavona posted:

Whoever's closest get's his 780ti?

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I'm buzzing in one minute.

Gwaihir posted:

Going to go with "The instant someone else can talk themselves in to buying his current 780ti"

Ghostpilot posted:

Don't encourage him! :arghfist::v:

How am I the face of :pcgaming: to you people?!

I just want as close to the best gaming experience as is possible without going to extremes. There's a lunatic fringe. I am not part of it. veedubfreak is. Let him carry around the $-letter for a while, I haven't earned it. I do things that are generally on the expensive side of normal for gaming, and I like to have an overall very good computing and gaming experience with really good sound, really good peripheral interface, really good monitor (hence waiting for G-Sync tech to go practical). I don't want or need like $2500 worth of gaming stuff, I leave that to crazy people. So why am I crazy people to you turkeys? :psyduck:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I think it's because you spent 300 bucks to gain what was probably only about a 10% real world increase. My MM UFO has faithfully served me for close to 5 years at this point, I'd say I got my money out of it. And I'll still end up selling it for a decent price. I'm chasing the silent extreme machine, which is a rabbit hole you don't want to go down.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Agreed posted:

Ok, god drat it, I sold my old card for a moderate loss to someone who is very happy with it because it's a high-performing model within the model family, and I spent that money plus $300ish tops out of pocket to get a 780Ti direct. One 780Ti. In this particular, specific transaction, I'm on the hook for that $300 or so, and I get a really great card for my comparably extremely sane graphics desires.

So I have a question.

I just want as close to the best gaming experience as is possible without going to extremes. There's a lunatic fringe. I am not part of it. veedubfreak is. Let him carry around the $-letter for a while, I haven't earned it. I do things that are generally on the expensive side of normal for gaming, and I like to have an overall very good computing and gaming experience with really good sound, really good peripheral interface, really good monitor (hence waiting for G-Sync tech to go practical). I don't want or need like $2500 worth of gaming stuff, I leave that to crazy people. So why am I crazy people to you turkeys? :psyduck:

Veedubfreak is in a class of silly all his own, so he just gets ignored as a ~clearrrr~ outlier.

You're still close enough to the edge of sanity to make it worth poking fun at :haw:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
We missed you a lot over Thanksgiving weekend.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

I think it's because you spent 300 bucks to gain what was probably only about a 10% real world increase. My MM UFO has faithfully served me for close to 5 years at this point, I'd say I got my money out of it. And I'll still end up selling it for a decent price. I'm chasing the silent extreme machine, which is a rabbit hole you don't want to go down.

Going from about 46-47 fps in heavily texel throughput and shader-bound games (which is pretty much every game at the resolutions I'm playing at, geometry just isn't an issue) to nearly 60fps is closer to a 25% improvement, and in some cases nearly 30%. When my monitor is actually updating without a framebuffer at all, just direct-to-screen as it renders in real time, that will matter quite a bit. I'll be buying G-Sync as soon as it becomes available, that's the whole point of this.

And while "the only thing I ever hear is HDDs transferring data to RAM" silent isn't my goal, I actually do look for quiet computing. Hence few, but very large fans rotating as slowly as possible while still maintaining a desired performance threshold, and partitioning my case into two airflow zones to ensure that the HDDs stay at safe temperatures for them while the GPUs and CPU have plenty of fresh air to exhaust their heat without having to spin up.

Your crazy poo poo is that you want to play at >4K UHD resolutions right now, and no single card comes close to making just 4K a fun experience, let alone 28%ish higher pixel count, so you pretty much have to pile on the cards if you want to keep using those side monitors without turning things down. You don't have to spend $700+ on cooling alone to make your system quiet, man, that's your route because, as you put it, you hate money :v:

Gwaihir posted:

Veedubfreak is in a class of silly all his own, so he just gets ignored as a ~clearrrr~ outlier.

You're still close enough to the edge of sanity to make it worth poking fun at :haw:

Fair point. :qq:

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

We missed you a lot over Thanksgiving weekend.

We actually decided specifically to not internet over the whole Thanksgiving break, just because it's so damned everywhere otherwise. It's actually kind of nice, y'all :) But it's nice to be back to chat on my hobbies.

Eh, all hobbies are expensive as hell, at the bottom of it, it just depends on what direction you want to go with them and on how much disposable income you have to pursue them. My music gear (assorted) column makes my computer gear (assorted) column look tiiiiiny. Who the gently caress needs like ten guitars? Seriously, that's just nuts, get one or two that you really like and just play those, the world at large was capable of making fun of that horseshit back when Spinal Tap first came out. I'm not judging you, veedubfreak, I hope that's clear. I just think it's silly that people think I'm some kind of strange anomalous buyer when there are proximal examples of much, much more intense spending well to hand, y'know?

Agreed fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 3, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I would never take it as judging. I have made decisions in my life that allow me to be stupid with my money once or twice a year. In all reality though, I should be spending all this on the lump of rusty steel in the garage but, I'm just sick of working on it. Plus the Crystal Ship Ascension is a super awesome looking case.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MountainMods/Ascension_Crystal_Ship_CYO/

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

This. Exactly this.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

veedubfreak posted:

I would never take it as judging. I have made decisions in my life that allow me to be stupid with my money once or twice a year. In all reality though, I should be spending all this on the lump of rusty steel in the garage but, I'm just sick of working on it. Plus the Crystal Ship Ascension is a super awesome looking case.

Crystal Ship Ascension is the worst name for any product I've ever seen. It's a good name for a jam band, but an awful name for a product.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

veedubfreak posted:

Plus the Crystal Ship Ascension is a super awesome looking case.

So you wrap your computer in the second half of a '90s JRPG?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

Am I reading right that it mounts 11 140mm fans? Or are those 120mm mounts? How will you be setting it up inside for cooling, out of curiosity? Bigass vertically oriented radiator with a ton of smaller fans, or a few gigantic fans? Given that you've got the whole visual theme going with green acrylic for the case itself and some cold-cathode lighting, I'm guessing you don't intend on "ruining" it with Noctua's characteristic brown-n'-beige, and I don't think their black fans are out quite yet. How will you be cooling your radiator to keep it silent?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

I much prefer the look of the Caselabs cases if you're going for semi-custom cases.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

deimos posted:

I much prefer the look of the Caselabs cases if you're going for semi-custom cases.

This. The STH10 from Caselabs is a great looking case for what you can put in it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Agreed posted:

This is why. :haw:

I'm fairness, I'm not much better at this point.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

El Scotch posted:

This is why. :haw:

I'm fairness, I'm not much better at this point.

But that's not unreasonable. Like, point out the unreasonable part there. No :haw:, I seriously want to know what it is that you think is absurd or whatever about wanting as close to an ideal experience within explicit boundaries as possible? Please don't take this as me calling you out or w/e, I am curious as to why wanting no temporal aliasing in games, and high quality sound, and peripherals that allow for a comfortable interface with the computer are "why." My contention is that I'm not doing anything that unusual for an enthusiast, and it's weird to come back from a break and see that apparently once again I'm the poster boy for dumb graphics stuff.

I regret trying to downplay the decisions that I've made with regard to my computer purchases as bad choices, because apparently that all sunk in really hard. In truth I wouldn't MAKE them if I thought they were bad choices. I just don't think that most people want what I want out of the computing (well, mainly audio workstation stuff) and gaming experience in one machine.

I've been purposely self-effacing so that people who would be absolutely satisfied with a great price:performance card don't go overboard and turn their reasonable system into a $1500+ machine just because I sound like I know what I'm talking about and I do it, but I'm starting to think that it's doing more to hurt my ability to be taken seriously when I talk about neat graphics technologies than I had figured. Hard to be taken seriously when you're just some clown rear end motherfucker wasting money left and right, but that's not what I'm actually doing, even though I've tried to straddle the fence in terms of talking about it so that it doesn't encourage poor decisions in folks who aren't trying to do the same thing I am on purpose but also don't know what kind of card they need for "X" level gaming.

I'm not an idiot and the main mistake I made this go-around was not waiting long enough to upgrade - I just made a bad guess, I figured that there'd be no way they would have a product below Titan but above the GTX 780 and upgraded too soon. I thought the Titan branding would be more important to them than it has turned out to be, a mistake most probably centered around not taking seriously enough the fact that Titan is only incidentally a gaming card, not on purpose, and is really intended as a CUDA development platform entry-level card, building on the success of the GTX 580 as a kind of field-experiment in allowing higher DP performance than usual and thus reducing market segmentation between entry-level Quadro and top-tier consumer cards. I did think that AMD's move would push them, but I figured on price competition only, not on them saying "you know what we can do? we can totally just take some of the higher leakage fully-enabled GK110s that won't run as well at 225W alongside 12GB of VRAM, and stick them in a card with an effective 265W TDP with just 3GB of VRAM, and both reclaim the perf crown AND further improve the Ti branding!"

A bad guess on my part is being treated as a :pcgaming: dumb choice, and in no small part because I've sort of cultivated that. I'd rather not have, now, it's getting in the way of me being able to talk about stuff I enjoy talking about since now I'm That Guy.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Agreed posted:

Am I reading right that it mounts 11 140mm fans? Or are those 120mm mounts? How will you be setting it up inside for cooling, out of curiosity? Bigass vertically oriented radiator with a ton of smaller fans, or a few gigantic fans? Given that you've got the whole visual theme going with green acrylic for the case itself and some cold-cathode lighting, I'm guessing you don't intend on "ruining" it with Noctua's characteristic brown-n'-beige, and I don't think their black fans are out quite yet. How will you be cooling your radiator to keep it silent?

I have a bunch of yate loons on a fan controller. I'm using 4 swiftech 3x120 radiators. Plus fan filters, what with having 2 pieces of furry furniture in the house.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

As the guy that started that latest chain of comments, it was all in good fun. I don't think any of us think you are dumb or doing anything bad. I just saw a new video card and thought of you. It's honestly just a good-natured ribbing. You are taking it way too hard!

edit: Definitely don't stop posting or anything.

beejay fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 4, 2013

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Agreed posted:

But that's not unreasonable. Like, point out the unreasonable part there. No :haw:, I seriously want to know what it is that you think is absurd or whatever about wanting as close to an ideal experience within explicit boundaries as possible? Please don't take this as me calling you out or w/e, I am curious as to why wanting no temporal aliasing in games, and high quality sound, and peripherals that allow for a comfortable interface with the computer are "why." My contention is that I'm not doing anything that unusual for an enthusiast, and it's weird to come back from a break and see that apparently once again I'm the poster boy for dumb graphics stuff.

I regret trying to downplay the decisions that I've made with regard to my computer purchases as bad choices, because apparently that all sunk in really hard. In truth I wouldn't MAKE them if I thought they were bad choices. I just don't think that most people want what I want out of the computing (well, mainly audio workstation stuff) and gaming experience in one machine.

I've been purposely self-effacing so that people who would be absolutely satisfied with a great price:performance card don't go overboard and turn their reasonable system into a $1500+ machine just because I sound like I know what I'm talking about and I do it, but I'm starting to think that it's doing more to hurt my ability to be taken seriously when I talk about neat graphics technologies than I had figured. Hard to be taken seriously when you're just some clown rear end motherfucker wasting money left and right, but that's not what I'm actually doing, even though I've tried to straddle the fence in terms of talking about it so that it doesn't encourage poor decisions in folks who aren't trying to do the same thing I am on purpose but also don't know what kind of card they need for "X" level gaming.

I'm not an idiot and the main mistake I made this go-around was not waiting long enough to upgrade - I just made a bad guess, I figured that there'd be no way they would have a product below Titan but above the GTX 780 and upgraded too soon. I thought the Titan branding would be more important to them than it has turned out to be, a mistake most probably centered around not taking seriously enough the fact that Titan is only incidentally a gaming card, not on purpose, and is really intended as a CUDA development platform entry-level card, building on the success of the GTX 580 as a kind of field-experiment in allowing higher DP performance than usual and thus reducing market segmentation between entry-level Quadro and top-tier consumer cards. I did think that AMD's move would push them, but I figured on price competition only, not on them saying "you know what we can do? we can totally just take some of the higher leakage fully-enabled GK110s that won't run as well at 225W alongside 12GB of VRAM, and stick them in a card with an effective 265W TDP with just 3GB of VRAM, and both reclaim the perf crown AND further improve the Ti branding!"

A bad guess on my part is being treated as a :pcgaming: dumb choice, and in no small part because I've sort of cultivated that. I'd rather not have, now, it's getting in the way of me being able to talk about stuff I enjoy talking about since now I'm That Guy.

We're collectively taking the Micky out of you. We don't think there's anything wrong with what you've chosen.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

beejay posted:

As the guy that started that latest chain of comments, it was all in good fun. I don't think any of us think you are dumb or doing anything bad. I just saw a new video card and thought of you. It's honestly just a good-natured ribbing. You are taking it way too hard!

edit: Definitely don't stop posting or anything.

Not that thin-skinned, haha, I just really do think I've gone too far in the direction of making fun of myself and my purchases to the point that it's now assumed that I'm going to do something stupid - and, well, people who do stupid things don't generally get much traction in more serious discussions. My feelings aren't hurt, nobody here did anything wrong, I'm just worried that I've accidentally made people more likely to associate me with buying new tech rather than knowing about and talking about new tech. I do my very best to stay well-informed, within the boundaries of what we can know without people breaking NDA (and of course keeping tabs on the rare occasions that does happen :)), so it'd be disappointing if it turned out that nobody is actually listening when I try to talk about stuff that interests me. No intention of being some weird graphics buffoon, in other words.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
One of the key things that the FCAT saga has taught me, as well as other sources recently, is that computers suck. They flat-out suck. Almost nothing we use on them is good. Nonsensical UI quirks are not good. Game-breaking bugs are not good. Framerate stutter is not good. Aliasing is not good. Etc. etc. A great computer minimizes the badness, but it does not eliminate it.

There's a strong impetus in this forum, flowing from the parts-picking thread, to buy bang for your buck, to get something that's plenty not-bad for the money. But it wasn't really obvious to me that that was solely a price/performance thing, and that people dumping tons into their systems weren't wasting money, per se; they just wanted to spend HUGE amounts to eliminate the small remaining marginal badness. But since computers, as they exist now, can't help but be bad, it was still the right thing to push people to 1% more badness for 50% less money.

Agreed's the guy who wants a badness-free PC but knows that he's chasing a dragon.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm hardly any better. As Agreed and I poked fun at each other about last week, I have two 290s. I'm not much of a model of sensible choices.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The point is, it's not that such a choice isn't sensible, it's just that it's not strictly price/performance optimized. It's up to you what kind of sense you want your system to make.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Factory Factory posted:

It's up to you what kind of sense you want your system to make.

At one point I had a (one, single, uno) 15000RPM SAS hard drive hooked up by RAID controller to my desktop. It was not intended to be a work-workstation. It also had a new Phenom II in it. A new Phenom II with a three-year-old design in 2011.

I like to think my priorities in life are a little more focused than they were a few years ago. :negative:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Well, there's different valuation paradigms, and then there's imperfect satisfaction of those preferences. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Factory² getting deep in this thread.