Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

FaustianQ posted:

Yes, that's basically half the performance of a GT 1030 w/GDDR5. Why it's not called a GT 1020, I don't know, and why it's not some bargain bin price of 40$, I don't know either. Like, this performance puts it only 33% faster than a stock HD 630. What is the market for this?

I bought a GDDR5 1030 for its HDMI 2.0 output to use with a 4K HTPC. I'd have bought the DDR4 model instead if it had been available at the time and substantially cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

I bought a GDDR5 1030 for its HDMI 2.0 output to use with a 4K HTPC. I'd have bought the DDR4 model instead if it had been available at the time and substantially cheaper.

:same:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Whatever happened to Antec being the end all be all of PSU companies?
I've been using the Antec Greenpower 380w units for like 12 years now. Not a single loving failure on that model. It is my gold standard below $50.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Avalanche posted:

Whatever happened to Antec being the end all be all of PSU companies?

When I first built the Ship-of-Theseus ancestor of my current desktop Antec was a solid safe bet, but that was also during the peak of PC Power and Cooling back before OCZ bought them. Remember the Turbo-Cool 1000? The first 1 kilowatt desktop PC power supply, which was a huge deal at the time. They were king of the hill as far as I was aware back then.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

wolrah posted:

When I first built the Ship-of-Theseus ancestor of my current desktop Antec was a solid safe bet, but that was also during the peak of PC Power and Cooling back before OCZ bought them. Remember the Turbo-Cool 1000? The first 1 kilowatt desktop PC power supply, which was a huge deal at the time. They were king of the hill as far as I was aware back then.

Sad times when OCZ of all companies bought them. PC Power were the tits.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
You say that but OCZ had some baller winbond BH5/6 DIMMs back in the day. They too, were the tits.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Seamonster posted:

You say that but OCZ had some baller winbond BH5/6 DIMMs back in the day. They too, were the tits.

I want some of it one day, for a retro system. BH5 was great.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Weren't the OCZ gold DDR sticks using the BH5/6 modules? I remember having an AMD XP-M 2200+ system running 4GB and that RAM overclocked crazy high, got the CPU up to 2.3 and eventually sold it to a friend when I went to an Athlon 64 system.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

wolrah posted:

Haha yea I do remember that monster.

Now that I think about it, Antec was always loving horseshit unless PSUs had a really low lifespan back then. I can't remember. I do remember being in my teens in the early 00s going to the locally owned computer store to use my hard earned money from my lovely job to get ripped off buying components and the dudes there would always recommend Antec PSUs.

And they would always conveniently fry themselves after like 1.5 years of usage:

"Nah man, you just must of had really bad luck and need to dust your poo poo out more you dumb loving kid. Antec is the way to go!"

Must be nice being a 12 year old kid nowadays as 'building' a new 'rig' and getting it running stable is maybe a step up in difficulty from plugging in a super nintendo cartridge. My kid self would of been blown the gently caress away with windows automatically installing drivers for everything with no random errors, onboard soundcards, MODULAR PSUs, onboard wired AND wireless networking, UEFI bios that has its own little OS you can use to download drivers and new bios, no random dumb poo poo like IRQ conflicts, windows ME corrupting itself every 2 weeks, random poo poo failing and companies not giving a flying gently caress at all (like 2x worse than Asus now) about the RMA process cause the market back then wasn't really a thing yet, etc. etc.

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 19, 2018

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Avalanche posted:

Must be nice being a 12 year old kid nowadays as 'building' a new 'rig' and getting it running stable is maybe a step up in difficulty from plugging in a super nintendo cartridge. My kid self would of been blown the gently caress away with windows automatically installing drivers for everything with no random errors, onboard soundcards, MODULAR PSUs, onboard wired AND wireless networking, UEFI bios that has its own little OS you can use to download drivers and new bios, no random dumb poo poo like IRQ conflicts, windows ME corrupting itself every 2 weeks, random poo poo failing and companies not giving a flying gently caress at all (like 2x worse than Asus now) about the RMA process cause the market back then wasn't really a thing yet, etc. etc.

Yeah I built my first rig when I was 13, an Athlon T-Bird with one of the first motherboards available for it. The mobo ended up having so many driver issues that couldn't be resolved after weeks of calling tech support I had to end up buying a whole new mobo.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
EVGA has B stock 1080 Tis with the mid sized open air cooler for 730 in stock right now. (Or 840 for the big cooler non B stock)

I remember BH doing 250MHz 2-2-2, but needing to get hooked up straight to the 3.3 rail. Have a motherboard that didn't support that? No good BH speeds. Usually you could lift a leg on the stock memory regulator though so it wasn't a huge deal.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

redeyes posted:

I've been using the Antec Greenpower 380w units for like 12 years now. Not a single loving failure on that model. It is my gold standard below $50.

That's funny I literally had that exact PSU probably just about as long ago. I dont remember what happened to it but I know it wasn't good.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I miss Tagan power supplies. I had a 480w one that ran for like 10 years and could still power my old 560ti. I wonder what made them disappear

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
So when the 1180 eventually comes out, what brand(s) am I looking for, and what kind of cooler do I want? Powerful and quiet are important, price I doubt will be a problem. I'm in Europe.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
EVGA and big open air cooler. The bigger fans the less noise. Some coolers have fans that are just loud despite looking big (Zotac) and some have problems with premature failure (Gigabyte, Asus, MSI). EVGA is the only one I've heard of with both a good warranty for fans, good coolers, and cheap enough prices.

Europe might change that though I don't know how their warranty service is there.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Since you're in Europe keep an eye out for the Palit Gamerock Premium / Gainward Phoenix GLH models.
They are identical except for shroud colour and have truly massive coolers.
The 1080 Premium / GLH are one of the few overclocked cards that also come with a memory OC so you don't need to use any software, just plug&play.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

craig588 posted:

EVGA and big open air cooler. The bigger fans the less noise. Some coolers have fans that are just loud despite looking big (Zotac) and some have problems with premature failure (Gigabyte, Asus, MSI). EVGA is the only one I've heard of with both a good warranty for fans, good coolers, and cheap enough prices.

Europe might change that though I don't know how their warranty service is there.

Outside of step-up shenanigans and potentially pricing, there's no real reason to go EVGA over other manufacturers, at least in countries with good warranty policies and working consumer protection. I've never heard of these "premature failures" of MSI/Asus/Gigabyte here and their mid to high end series (Asus Strix, Gigabyte Gaming/Aorus, MSI Gaming) often came out ahead in reviews (together with the massive 3-slot designs of Gainward that don't fit into every PC), when silent coolers matter more than the last 2% of performance with default clocks.

Definitely skip blowers, "mini" designs and generally cards with tiny fans. The best option is probably to wait for reviews anyway.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
In North America, EVGA's support is why you pay $20-50 more. But you're right - if you're in a country that has consumer protection, *any* card will do. My next one will be an EVGA, even though I've had no problems whatsoever (knock on wood) with my Rev 1.0 Gigabyte G1 970, aside from rare coil whine issues on loading screens where the FPS ramps up to high three/four digits.

I use Corsair RAM because my experience with their RMA system tells me I just get sent a sealed retail package in exchange. No QA refurb bullshit - just a brand new product, still sealed. They retain their own retail stocks and sell through their websites, which affords them that ability. That, to me, at least, is worth an extra :20bux:.

I've sworn off MSI because when my 970 from them went tits up (after less than a month, at *stock* clocks), they told me they didn't have the stock to replace it and offered me a heavily depreciated offer to make me go away. It took about a week and a half to convince them to refund me the entire purchase price, plus shipping. That swore me off MSI, at least for brand new GPUs - they just don't have the resources and stock EVGA seems to possess.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 20, 2018

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I haven't had issues with my Asus 980 but I've heard so many horror stories I can't recommend them. My Gigabyte 680 fans (probably one of them but if I'm replacing them I'm doing it all at once) failed prematurely, MSI is well documented as using cheap fans. I replaced my Zotac 1080 fans within a month because of how bad they were. If the cards weren't hard to get on release day I'd go EVGA every time, I have like 100 dollars of EVGA credit this time though so I'll probably wait.

I always try to get designs with big fans or triple fans for the least noise. The Gigabyte was a triple fan, The 1080 and 980 are big dual fans. The 980 and 1080 are still working with a custom bios, 980 on stock Asus fans and 1080 on Noctua fans. The cards themselves have never been a problem, if you can get a blower card for like 50 off and then get an aftermarket cooler I'd go for that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Sadly, my go-to brand is not a viable option for high-end gaming.

If you could buy AMD cards that were worth a drat, I would still swear by XFX.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sadly, my go-to brand is not a viable option for high-end gaming.

If you could buy AMD cards that were worth a drat, I would still swear by XFX.

Don't they have a non-transferrable warranty? That's extremely lovely even for the US market. Even MSI or Asus or Gigabyte will do a transferrable warranty based on the ship date.

There is no AMD equivalent of EVGA.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 20, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Paul MaudDib posted:

Don't they have a non-transferrable warranty? That's pretty lovely even for the US market. Even MSI or Asus or Gigabyte will do a transferrable warranty based on the ship date.

It's been a long time since I've looked at their stuff, but I remember ~back in the day~ that they were known for 'double lifetime' warranties - not only for the original purchaser, but the second-hand user as well.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

quote:

Limited hardware warranties for Graphics Cards may be transferred if the new owner registers online at http://www.xfxsupport.com/ within 90 days of the purchase from the original owner. This new owner registration process is a condition precedent to transferring the limited hardware warranty for Graphics Cards. The duration of the new owner’s limited hardware warranty will be limited to the duration of the original owner’s limited hardware warranty. Product warranties in the Radeon 7000, 200, 300, and 400 series are not transferable.

*** The limited warranty for XFX Limited Edition graphics cards lasts for a period of two years and is non-transferable.
http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/support/xfx-warranty

(bolding and italics theirs)

Looks like they've left themselves plenty of outs though. Unless you have a 500-series non-limited-edition card you can get hosed, and even then you are supposed to register within 90 days, nerd.

Had one of their cards secondhand, it blew a fan controller (according to them) and they wouldn't touch it. That's been the experience I've heard around from them lately too.

Maybe they were good 10 years ago or something but not in the era of cryptomining (or according to their policy, for at least the last 6 years). They're not EVGA of AMD, not even close, they're the Inno3d of AMD, aggressively innovating new reasons to deny warranty claims.

(can't blame their lawyers for pulling whatever stunts they can get away with under the US's lovely consumer laws, but that doesn't mean you should buy them if they are soundly worse than the other AMD vendors)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 20, 2018

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

In North America, EVGA's support is why you pay $20-50 more. But you're right - if you're in a country that has consumer protection, *any* card will do. My next one will be an EVGA, even though I've had no problems whatsoever (knock on wood) with my Rev 1.0 Gigabyte G1 970, aside from rare coil whine issues on loading screens where the FPS ramps up to high three/four digits.

I use Corsair RAM because my experience with their RMA system tells me I just get sent a sealed retail package in exchange. No QA refurb bullshit - just a brand new product, still sealed. They retain their own retail stocks and sell through their websites, which affords them that ability. That, to me, at least, is worth an extra :20bux:.

I've sworn off MSI because when my 970 from them went tits up (after less than a month, at *stock* clocks), they told me they didn't have the stock to replace it and offered me a heavily depreciated offer to make me go away. It took about a week and a half to convince them to refund me the entire purchase price, plus shipping. That swore me off MSI, at least for brand new GPUs - they just don't have the resources and stock EVGA seems to possess.

Yeah, EVGA is well worth it if you live in the US or someplace else with lovely consumer protections. Also it's pretty normal for them to upgrade your card if they don't have a replacement on hand, I know someone who had an EVGA 1070 fail on them and since EVGA didn't have any 1070s in stock they replaced it with a 1080.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Also it's pretty normal for them to upgrade your card if they don't have a replacement on hand, I know someone who had an EVGA 1070 fail on them and since EVGA didn't have any 1070s in stock they replaced it with a 1080.

2006: I buy a 7900GT, RMA it within a month due to the usual 7900GT issue (IIRC related to the RoHS solder switch), and get another one that works fine.
2008: That 7900GT starts showing the same sorts of issues as the first one, is replaced with an 8800GT.
2012: Surge blows my power supply and it takes half my PC with it, including the 8800GT. I admit this openly to EVGA support and they still decide to replace it with a 550Ti.

Needless to say, when I bought my 970s in 2014/2015 I went EVGA, and unless they do something really stupid I'm going to be buying my 1180/2080 from them too.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Its still very shocking to me about ASUS coolers, but I've had plenty of luck with high end Gigabyte parts (Aurous great, G1 good and usually price helps here too), MSI has been great, and EVGA has been good to me though honestly thats at the bottom of my list because the cooling is actually the worst so far and their product lineup is a lightweight scam. Only true dual slot cooler I've had in a long time though which matters to a lot of people, and in the USA it seems to matter to a lot that an American answers the phone rather than whoever else would have and that a US owned companies sells Chinese, Korean, and Taiwanese parts to us ;). I value customer support much less here so take some salt with my salt (I've never had to RMA a gpu despite going through 30-40 of them)

We wont know until they come though

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

sauer kraut posted:

Since you're in Europe keep an eye out for the Palit Gamerock Premium / Gainward Phoenix GLH models.
They are identical except for shroud colour and have truly massive coolers.
The 1080 Premium / GLH are one of the few overclocked cards that also come with a memory OC so you don't need to use any software, just plug&play.

Seconding Palit, I have a Gamerock 1070 and it's very quiet. No trouble with temps either.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Seconding Palit, I have a Gamerock 1070 and it's very quiet. No trouble with temps either.

I love my Palit 1080. I'll be going Palit again next time. Teardown videos show it has excellent VRM's too.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I got an Asus 1080 and it's been really good to me, stays cool and pretty quiet under load. Leaning Palit next time though, they've got similar coolers but at a lower cost.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

wolrah posted:

2012: Surge blows my power supply and it takes half my PC with it, including the 8800GT. I admit this openly to EVGA support and they still decide to replace it with a 550Ti.

Needless to say, when I bought my 970s in 2014/2015 I went EVGA, and unless they do something really stupid I'm going to be buying my 1180/2080 from them too.

I'll always respect that about EVGA, they legit go above and beyond for their customers. I had a similar situation a few years ago with an old GTX 465 card that got killed by a power supply failure, and since I hadn't intentionally broken it, they were like "sure, send it back, we'll replace it". Amazing customer service, period.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Amazing customer service, period.

I'm wondering how it is in the UK - my friend had an EVGA 1080 with the dodgy VRM pads, and they never sent the replacements out.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'm wondering how it is in the UK - my friend had an EVGA 1080 with the dodgy VRM pads, and they never sent the replacements out.

There's a general EU-wide (I think?) consumer protection rule that makes it the retailer's problem to fix, replace or reimburse products with manufacturing defects and similar problems (in general terms, it applies if the product does not function as advertised either due to misleading information at the time of sale, or due to potentially latent flaws that existed at the time of sale) for at least two years after the initial sale, and for the first six months the burden of proof is on the retailer - they have to prove (in court, if it comes to that) that the product was not defective at the time of sale.

This protection always applies regardless of any manufacturer warranty and you can never lose it as a private consumer, not even by voluntary informed agreement. You can still contact the manufacturer's support without involving the retailer at all, of course.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 20, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah I built my first rig when I was 13, an Athlon T-Bird with one of the first motherboards available for it. The mobo ended up having so many driver issues that couldn't be resolved after weeks of calling tech support I had to end up buying a whole new mobo.

The reason I kept buying P3/P4 chips that got beaten by cheaper Athlons in benchmarks was motherboard piece of mind. I owned a K6-2 which, on reflection, was a good CPU undermined by motherboard driver support. Super Socket 7 was where AMD diverged from Intel on sockets, and even people like Asus simply cobbled together motherboards from whatever vendors were available.

The Aladdin V chipset of 1998 was so bad that I never bought AMD again until Raven Ridge a few months ago. That’s 20 loving years that I completely ignored AMD because of bad experiences with VIA. Not only did you have to get drivers on a floppy on another, working computer and then specify it when installing Windows, but chipset drivers were updated regularly and it was a gamble whether they’d fix your blue screens or give you more of them.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Craptacular! posted:

The Aladdin V chipset of 1998 was so bad that I never bought AMD again until Raven Ridge a few months ago. That’s 20 loving years that I completely ignored AMD because of bad experiences with VIA. Not only did you have to get drivers on a floppy on another, working computer and then specify it when installing Windows, but chipset drivers were updated regularly and it was a gamble whether they’d fix your blue screens or give you more of them.

Aladdin was ALi. VIA's chipset was the much better MVP3, that had features like L2 cache soldered to the motherboard. Ahhhh the good ol days.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cygni posted:

Aladdin was ALi. VIA's chipset was the much better MVP3, that had features like L2 cache soldered to the motherboard. Ahhhh the good ol days.

Oh you’re right, it was called Apollo.

Either way, I had enough bullshit with unstable components that needed a disk-based driver installed along with Windows, but were updated so frequently that you couldn’t just stick a floppy in the Windows box and expect them to work once updates were applied.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress that VIA chipset to DEATH. I have nightmares

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Avalanche posted:

please don’t say Windows ME, it gives me flashbacks, tia

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Craptacular! posted:

The reason I kept buying P3/P4 chips that got beaten by cheaper Athlons in benchmarks was motherboard piece of mind. I owned a K6-2 which, on reflection, was a good CPU undermined by motherboard driver support. Super Socket 7 was where AMD diverged from Intel on sockets, and even people like Asus simply cobbled together motherboards from whatever vendors were available.

Exact same experience here, except that I caved and did a Socket 939 Athlon64 after getting burned with Prescott. The VIA MVP3 was also a terrible chipset, I tried a couple different boards and they all had issues.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

JnnyThndrs posted:

Exact same experience here, except that I caved and did a Socket 939 Athlon64 after getting burned with Prescott. The VIA MVP3 was also a terrible chipset, I tried a couple different boards and they all had issues.

Yeah, Apollo MVP3 is the same chipset that I and I think redeyes are both talking about. I appreciated that AMD made a 3DNow optimized Quake II executable, but anything good that CPU did was ruined by chipset drivers.

I feel like I could go to a kids computer camp, take out a flashlight, and tell dark stories about the VIA 4-in-1 package and subsequent registry fixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, Apollo MVP3 is the same chipset that I and I think redeyes are both talking about. I appreciated that AMD made a 3DNow optimized Quake II executable, but anything good that CPU did was ruined by chipset drivers.

I feel like I could go to a kids computer camp, take out a flashlight, and tell dark stories about the VIA 4-in-1 package and subsequent registry fixes.

VIA chipsets and SIS integrated GPUs - the kids just don't how grimdark the past was.