Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

its a 1050 3gb card to slot between the 1050 Ti and 1050 2Gb, but also it has better clocks than the 1050 Ti for some reason, i dont loving know ok

https://videocardz.com/76245/nvidia-launches-geforce-gtx-1050-3gb-768-cudas-with-96-bit-bus

Also has the same core-count as a 1050 Ti.

In other words, it's a 1050 Ti SE, but NVIDIA actually did a solid and called it a 1050 instead of quietly releasing a gimpy model like the 1060 3 GB and RX 560 14CU.

Performance is going to be a bit iffy since you lose 25% of the memory bus, but it shouldn't be too far below the 1050 most of the time. Would have been nice if they paired it with 9gbps GDDR5 to make up for the difference, maybe AIBs will be able to do that.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
At least its GDDR5? Yeah I'm looking at you 1030s with the poo poo DDR4.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Gyrotica posted:

Huh, never heard of them. I'll be keeping an eye out.

I don’t think they sell to the US at all, so that might be it. They have a decent presence in Europe though.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Wait, so... more memory than a 1050 but less than a 1050Ti, fully unlocked 1050Ti die running faster than the original, but less memory bandwidth than the base 1050? It'll cost more to produce than a regular 1050 because of the extra 1GB of memory, but isn't being marketed as a new product?

What the hell is even the point of this model, using up 1050 dies that had a flaw in the memory bus and nowhere else? I mean, I guess it's better than putting out a crippled 1.5GB model and calling that a 1050 without qualifier but still, why?

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 21, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Subjunctive posted:

Who makes good ITX-friendly high end cards? Is it just Zotac?

How long do they usually take to turn up after a new generation starts shipping?
Cant answer any of your other questions, but Zotac videocards arent eligible for a return on Newegg. You can only exchange them for some strange reason. I had a heck of a time swapping mine for an EVGA one. (Swapped because of a faulty fan).

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Eletriarnation posted:

Wait, so... more memory than a 1050 but less than a 1050Ti, fully unlocked 1050Ti die running faster than the original, but less memory bandwidth than the base 1050? It'll cost more to produce than a regular 1050 because of the extra 1GB of memory, but isn't being marketed as a new product?

What the hell is even the point of this model, using up 1050 dies that had a flaw in the memory bus and nowhere else? I mean, I guess it's better than putting out a crippled 1.5GB model and calling that a 1050 without qualifier but still, why?

Probably made from random leftovers at the video card components bodega

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Cygni posted:

Nvidia announced a NEW VIDEO CARD!!!

its a 1050 3gb card to slot between the 1050 Ti and 1050 2Gb, but also it has better clocks than the 1050 Ti for some reason, i dont loving know ok

https://videocardz.com/76245/nvidia-launches-geforce-gtx-1050-3gb-768-cudas-with-96-bit-bus

What was that about GPP again, Nvidia?

Seriously, is Nvidia just going to sit back and wait until AMD comes out with something so they can immediately dunk on them with the 1100 series or something? I mean, I'm sure that they are perfectly within their rights to do so, as well as have the market position to do so, but this has got to be creating some kinds of problem for themselves down the line.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

buglord posted:

Cant answer any of your other questions, but Zotac videocards arent eligible for a return on Newegg. You can only exchange them for some strange reason. I had a heck of a time swapping mine for an EVGA one. (Swapped because of a faulty fan).

That’s good to know, thanks.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Eletriarnation posted:

Only reason I can think of, although I'm wondering why even bother?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Only reason I can think of, although I'm wondering why even bother?

Primarily the Chinese cyber-cafe market, I would think, although Videocardz thinks they'll be released globally.

Really it's not like 1080p gaming needs more than 3 GB anyway (see: 1060 3 GB) so if they manage to stay in the ballpark of normal 1050 performance it'll be fine.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Seamonster posted:

At least its GDDR5? Yeah I'm looking at you 1030s with the poo poo DDR4.

I think kind of thing will happen more and more. The Korean Trio have Nvidia over a barrel as much as anyone else, and the value proposition of GPUs is going to be more on processing power with a high amount of slow memory or a low amount of slow memory, with the price skyrocketing to Oh My God if you want the best of both.

Political parties that have a healthy skepticism of corporate corruption have lost power all around the world right now, so this will take years to fix and MiHySung are going to become so stupidly rich that it defies embellishment.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Subjunctive posted:

How long do they usually take to turn up after a new generation starts shipping?

I know Gigabyte, Zotac, and MSI make mini versions of their cards for ITX, I'm actually running the Zotac 1070 mini right now and it's been pretty good. Stays cool and is about half the size of the EVGA 980 I replaced, not that I was hurting for room but was still nice.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Booty-ade makes me giggle almost every time I see it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I know Gigabyte, Zotac, and MSI make mini versions of their cards for ITX, I'm actually running the Zotac 1070 mini right now and it's been pretty good. Stays cool and is about half the size of the EVGA 980 I replaced, not that I was hurting for room but was still nice.

Oh good, I was worried about the thermals in an ITX factor. There’s always liquid cooling I guess if things get bad.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Most ITX cases have enough space that you don't need to go all-out on shrinking the graphics card down to a single fan. In fact, you'll probably get better thermals with larger card with better airflow (or a blower, if you're willing to go a little louder), though the best card depends on structure of the case. The Thermaltake Core V1, for instance, fits an EVGA 1080 ti black edition perfectly. In some vertical ITX cases where the graphics card sits directly over the PSU, a longer blower-style card will place the fan beyond the choke area and open up airflow.

Subjunctive posted:

Oh good, I was worried about the thermals in an ITX factor. There’s always liquid cooling I guess if things get bad.

Setting a more aggressive fan curve and adding outflow fans was sufficient to get decent thermals on a blower-style 1070 ti in my Thermaltake Suppressor F1, which has relatively restricted airflow (on top of the hot climate). It does add fan noise, which you might care about more than me.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 21, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stickman posted:

Most ITX cases have enough space that you don't need to go all-out on shrinking the graphics card down to a single fan. In fact, you'll probably get better thermals with larger card with better airflow (or a blower, if you're willing to go a little louder),

Setting a more aggressive fan curve and adding outflow fans was sufficient to get decent thermals on a blower-style 1070 ti in my Thermaltake Suppressor F1, which has relatively restricted airflow (on top of the hot climate). It does add fan noise, which you might care about more than me.

I care a bit about fan noise, yeah, but as long as it’s silent at idle and not ridiculous under gaming load I’m generally OK. Doing a custom loop sounds like fun, but also like the kind of thing I would gently caress up half way through.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Stickman posted:

Most ITX cases have enough space that you don't need to go all-out on shrinking the graphics card down to a single fan. In fact, you'll probably get better thermals with larger card with better airflow (or a blower, if you're willing to go a little louder), though the best card depends on structure of the case. The Thermaltake Core V1, for instance, fits an EVGA 1080 ti black edition perfectly. In some vertical ITX cases where the graphics card sits directly over the PSU, a longer blower-style card will place the fan beyond the choke area and open up airflow.

I've got a Skyreach 4 MINI which is like a boutique case, and you can still "hotrod" a GPU and have some of it sticking out of the case. But if you want it to fit all inside, then you can only go with Gigabyte's 1070, or Zotac's 1070/1080/ti/non-ti. Zotac are the only people that do short 1080/ti cards, and they have some moderate to loud coil whine on account of not being able to fit a robust VRM array on the board. Even overclocking my Zotac 1070ti it doesn't get near max temps though.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I care a bit about fan noise, yeah, but as long as it’s silent at idle and not ridiculous under gaming load I’m generally OK. Doing a custom loop sounds like fun, but also like the kind of thing I would gently caress up half way through.

Custom curves are pretty easy, and you can't really gently caress them up since the current generation of cards automatically throttle when they hit their temperature threshold (somewhere in the 83-85 C range). Just use MSI afterburner (or your manufacturer's equivalent) to check your card's temperature during gaming. If it starts hitting the temperature threshold, use the handy graph to move the curve a bit to the left so it ramps up at a lower temperature.

Here's my default and custom curves for my blower 1070 ti:

With the default curve, it was usually throttling after 5-10 minutes of high GPU use and would stay around 85 C after that. Ramping the fan up faster in the 60-70 C range let it better stabilize temperatures, and now it generally runs about 65-75 C at full usage. Non-gaming, it rarely goes over the minimum fan speed - 33% for the blower-style card, but still basically silent.

E: If you live a cooler climate / have AC you may not need to bother with custom curves, even in an ITX case. But if you do run into issues, it's a pretty easy fix at the cost of a small amount of extra fan noise under load.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 21, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ve done custom curves for my CPU before, so if they work well for this case I should be fine. Thank you!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I’ve done custom curves for my CPU before, so if they work well for this case I should be fine. Thank you!

What case are you considering?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Stickman posted:

What case are you considering?

Sorry, by “this case” I meant “this situation”. I haven’t really started digging into cases yet.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Is it a bad idea to buy founders editions of Nvidia cards? With the current rumour mill saying the founders edition cards are coming in July and the cards by other manufacturers coming later, I'm considering picking up a founders edition card.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lucinice posted:

Is it a bad idea to buy founders editions of Nvidia cards? With the current rumour mill saying the founders edition cards are coming in July and the cards by other manufacturers coming later, I'm considering picking up a founders edition card.

They're generally noisier and don't cool as well. Of course, for all we know, nVidia might be redesigning/replacing their classic blower for the 1100 series.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Lucinice posted:

That's basically what they did last time and the AIBs were out like 3 weeks later.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Lucinice posted:

As long as you're willing to accept that it will almost certainly be a blower card, no, there's no reason to avoid them. The past iterations have been quite well built with solid, if not chart-topping, performance. But you are probably paying a bit of a premium to have it first compared to what you could get if you waited a month or two: the AIB cards will allow you to either get similar noise/performance at a better price, or get a quieter or faster card for around the same price.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lucinice posted:

in just about every comparison they boost higher at the cost of added noise.

If you water cooled I would definitely go for the founders

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I did an experiment where I took the side panel off my case (the one right by the GPU) and played FFXIV for about an hour. Temps never got about 69, where as with the case closed I was getting 79/80. So I guess it's time for a new case!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I bumped up For Honor to 4K and it runs without a hitch on a 1080ti, 60fps, beautiful

But Assassin’s Creed Origins can’t run at 60fps 1080p with mid-high settings, it drops frames randomly

Is an i7 4770k proc too slow by now? Everything else runs perfect at 1080p/60

Or just AssCreed being unoptimized a year after release

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

in just about every comparison they boost higher at the cost of added noise.

If you water cooled I would definitely go for the founders

Yes though I'm pretty sure that was at a forced 100% ludicrous fan speed that was unbearable. They are good candidates for a cheap AIO bracket, but they throttled when basically nothing else on the market would throttle. Though presuming they dont increase the price from MSRP again (really dont know how this will go) there is a chance it will be the cheapest version of the card to buy for a good while.

I have two FE coolers on a 1080ti and 1070 and they suck hard. MSI Armor 1080ti cooler was better than these. All that being said I will probably try for a FE card if the MSRP isn't raised on them, they hold their value better for no reason at all and it would force me to water cool

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I bumped up For Honor to 4K and it runs without a hitch on a 1080ti, 60fps, beautiful

But Assassin’s Creed Origins can’t run at 60fps 1080p with mid-high settings, it drops frames randomly

AC:O is one of the few AAA titles that is actually CPU intensive, and it scales pretty nicely with having a lot of CPU cores, so yeah, you're CPU bound in that game unlike in almost everything else. I discovered the same when pairing a 1080 with an i5-3570K. The builtin benchmark is actually pretty good at telling you where the bottleneck is.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 22, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
In the grimdark future of last October, we will all need 8-core CPUs to run Denuvo faster.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

How well do the FE cards clock under water Vs other cards with the same cooling? I read talk that the chips were binned.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ouhei posted:

So I did an experiment where I took the side panel off my case (the one right by the GPU) and played FFXIV for about an hour. Temps never got about 69, where as with the case closed I was getting 79/80. So I guess it's time for a new case!

Is your air flow bad? Perhaps you just need a nicer intake fan? Also, those temperatures in and of themselves are not a problem.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

How well do the FE cards clock under water Vs other cards with the same cooling? I read talk that the chips were binned.

This was anecdotal but repeatable with a few of the popular Youtube hardware guys. If I recall Jayz had the best luck and pushed that idea frequently because all his FE cards clocked a little higher than anything else he tried. Whether they were actually binned or not I have no idea the difference was pretty minimal.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

LRADIKAL posted:

Is your air flow bad? Perhaps you just need a nicer intake fan? Also, those temperatures in and of themselves are not a problem.

The air flow in the case is fairly non existent. There is an exit fan and the bottom (under the mobo) is vented. There is no intake fan at all nor a place to mount one. I know the 79 isnt a problem, I just had to buy a new card when my 3 year old 970 failed and I'm paranoid that it being at higher temps/max fan speed more caused it to fail quicker so if I can easily swap for a case with better air flow for not a ton of money it'd make me feel better since I just spent $300.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Ouhei posted:

The air flow in the case is fairly non existent. There is an exit fan and the bottom (under the mobo) is vented. There is no intake fan at all nor a place to mount one. I know the 79 isnt a problem, I just had to buy a new card when my 3 year old 970 failed and I'm paranoid that it being at higher temps/max fan speed more caused it to fail quicker so if I can easily swap for a case with better air flow for not a ton of money it'd make me feel better since I just spent $300.

That case of yours really puts form over function. The Thermaltake you mentioned would be a remarkable improvement.

Speaking of cases, the only way I was able to get decent airflow in my Antec Three Hundred was to turn every other fan into an intake fan and use the top-mounted 140mm fan as an exhaust. So far, it runs at decent temps.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It maxes my 6600K out at 100% on all four cores while the 1080ti sits at 75% usage at 4k. I can't run it at 60fps at all. It hits the CPU harder than any other game to date. I got a refund on the game after an hour or so, too much hitching.

Most other games don't even come close to being as hard on the CPU. I wouldn't say it's unoptimized it's just that Ubisoft is placing literally hundreds of NPCs in any given area for their AssCreed games and they all have their pathing routines and logic, it all adds up and gobbles up CPU cycles. It's why the Xbox One version of Unity runs better than the PS4 version despite being a vastly weaker machine (they share the same CPU but the One is clocked slightly higher)

If there was a way to cut down on the amount of NPCs present in the game world it would go a long way to helping performance.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Holy moly... I was just looking at whether I want to upgrade from the GTX760 I bought for £185 exactly 4 years ago (funny enough I was thinking "must've been about 4 years ago since I did my last build" and dug out my receipt. 23rd May 2014.)

I'm pretty sure this was the recommended high quality 1080p card in the parts picking thread back in the day.

Nowadays the recommendation at that level is a 1070 which starts at £400. As I dabble with Linux a lot (dual boot) really I'd want AMD for the non-terrible support and the equivalent would be a Vega56 to the tune of an eye watering £550! I did my entire build for not much more than that!

I.... think I'll stick with the 760.

Console gaming from now on if prices continue on like this

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 23, 2018

eames
May 9, 2009

GargleBlaster posted:

That's a good solution, just make sure you never try a modern high refresh rate monitor with variable sync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

GargleBlaster posted:

Holy moly... I was just looking at whether I want to upgrade from the GTX760 I bought for £185 exactly 4 years ago (funny enough I was thinking "must've been about 4 years ago since I did my last" and dug out my receipt. 23rd May 2014.)

I'm pretty sure this was the recommended high quality 1080p card in the parts picking thread back in the day.

Nowadays the recommendation at that level is a 1070 which starts at £400. As I dabble with Linux a lot (dual boot) really I'd want AMD for the non-terrible support and the equivalent would be a Vega56 to the tune of an eye watering £550! I did my entire build for not much more than that!

I.... think I'll stick with the 760.

Console gaming can seem good value on the face of it, but you pay to play online, and games are much more expensive. I agree that prices have gotten out of control, though.

I remember first breaching the 200 quid mark with a 7800 GT (agp!!), and then again with the 1080 Ti. Every other card before and between I've purchased has been under 200 quid.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 23, 2018