Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wondering if the 690 has been out long enough to prove its a good card (I know a few guys that had 590's for months, and they all ended up dead a year later).

I'd prolly go for another 680.. or two 670's if I'd not bought the first yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

The 690 is a good card in the sense that it does exactly what it says it does, puts two 680s on one board without crippling them. That's thanks to the power efficiency and thermal performance of Kepler - it was Fermi's power hungry and hot-running nature that cause the 590 to require being downclocked by nearly 100MHz per core (a huge drop in per-GPU performance, greater than 10%) in order to fit within the thermal envelope of the slot configuration. ATI's shot at it whupped rear end even though if I recall it, too, was a little handicapped compared to two of the discrete cards.

The GTX 690 is about as noisy and performs exactly as well as two stock GTX 680s. They didn't have to downclock it. And I would wager it's probably not going to be nearly as prone to croaking early like the unfortunate 590 was, though that's just my estimation. I don't own one.

That said, even if you have extraordinary graphics needs which make such a substantial setup worth buying into, it's abjectly pretty bad of an idea to spend $1000 on a card that doesn't really have much headroom for overclocking compared to going for two GTX 670s, which perform within 10% of the GTX 680 in nearly everything to begin with, for $400 each. Then overclock them and beat the 690's performance. You won't miss the loss of a single SMX per card. Even stock 670 vs 680 comparisons, before overclocking enters the equation at all, it's barely missed. Maybe you could sell your GTX 680 and get a GTX 670? Supply is still limited enough you might be able to profit, and if it's an EVGA card the three-year portion of the warranty is transferable, that's about as good as graphics cards get...

One reason to use it would be if you have to have a single-slot card and it has to be a performance badass, I guess. But its main accomplishment is that they can finally say "hooray, we did the dual-GPU on one PCB thing and it does not suck this time!"

Agreed fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 25, 2012

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I was loving around with livestreaming and found that it works Pretty Alright with my 3770K and GTX 670 with my game running at Korean IPS resolution, but I do take a noticeable framerate hit streaming in HD. Is there any way to use lucid or something to offload some of the processing, or do something otherwise cheap/free? Other than turn off tesselation or downgrade graphics settings? :)

I should try the beta drivers and see if it helps as well, though the game in question is The Secret World which I'm not sure has any particular optimizations yet.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Unless there's been some major new update in the past couple months, d-mode Virtu is hella bugtastic with QuickSync. And i-mode Virtu doesn't expose any of those sexy driver optimizations properly so you don't get them. You'd be better off hooking up the IGP to another port on your monitor and cheating by setting it to mirror or just disabling the second screen output, in terms of driver/QuickSync compatibility.

But the real crux of the matter is that your capture/stream/encoding software needs to be QuickSync-compatible. AFAIK/AFAI-can-Google, all the big players in streaming software are aware of QuickSync and think it's cool, but their software would require a major re-engineering to integrate the Intel Media SDK and so the support just isn't there yet.

Ironically, Intel WiDi already does exactly what you want - it encodes the frame buffer with the QuickSync engine for streaming. It just only does so over WiFi to a dedicated receiver and so is completely useless for your purposes.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 25, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Do dual GPU cards like the 690 or 6990 have the same microstutter issues as running two cards in crossfire/SLI?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Yes.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Factory Factory posted:

Ironically, Intel WiDi already does exactly what you want - it encodes the frame buffer with the QuickSync engine for streaming. It just only does so over WiFi to a dedicated receiver and so is completely useless for your purposes.

Yeah I actually like a lot of the GPU streaming stuff they're working on in concept but in execution I can tell it's going to be obnoxiously limited and not do anything I want :argh:

Like there will likely be no way to have an essentially dumb terminal on a LAN that uses the monster GPU on a host to play a game, for instance. That is not a thing that will happen , because the bottom line:(

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

So I just got a really good deal on a mostly built computer. It has an Asus P6T SE motherboard, several hard drives, a single GTX560 and some other nifty bells and whistles, all assembled, for a pretty reasonable price. As I got a fairly good deal, and having not built a new desktop in an extremely long time, I decided to splurge on a second GTX560 just to see how far the technology has come.

Problem is, the Asus P6T SE doesn't seem to natively support SLI. However, I stumbled across this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/586111/newegg-ob-p6t-se-for-145-cross-flash-to-p6t-240-board

Apparently it isn't too hard to unlock the SLI feature by flashing it to a P6T, but you have to gently caress around with the board to do so. This worries me immensely. Is it a stupid risk and not worth taking, or is it actually relatively simple? I've also heard CoolBits could accomplish the same feat, but I have no idea how that program works.

Thanks in advance, folks.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
A P6T is old enough to likely be out of warranty anyhow, so go for it!

For real though, it looks like there is no more risk doing this than there is when updating the bios normally, which is to say, there shouldn't be much of any risk at all, so long as your power does not go out in the middle of the flash.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hello, is this the correct thread to ask for help building a components list for a racing sim computer ?

I've been playing iRacing through my i5/intel hd3000/8gb ram laptop, hooked to my 55" tv via hdmi.

To get acceptable graphics quality and frame rate I am running at 720p resolution and get around 40fps.

What I would like to do is buy 3 1080p monitors, and do 3x 1080p, and get solid 120fps performance. iRacing isn't a hugely demanding game.

I read the OP regarding single cards versus multiple cards. What combo is considered the best bang-buck for multi monitor gaming ? I'm not poor but I don't like throwing money away either. If a $1300 gpu is the best, but an $800 gpu(s) will work almost as good, I would settle for the cheaper.

Also, if I want to do 3d, is that out of the reach of current cards using multimonitor and getting very fast fps ?

My goal is to have something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SThHwUcgiUY

Maybe I should just wait for a john carmack VR goggle setup instead of the monitors?

Anyways, if someone could inform me of what hardware specs I would need, it would be appreciated.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
You didn't look at the sticky threads, did you? Hint: "Diablo 3" does not imply the thread is actually exclusive to Diablo 3.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Oh right. I can change that back now.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I have a fairly unusual conundrum and I figured this is probably the best place to ask for input since it's not really HoTS stuff:

- Is there a way to get two versions of ATI drivers to run at the same time, each for a different device?

Background: I have an HD5770, an AMD chipset with HD4200 integrated graphics, and two screens. I keep the secondary monitor connected to the 4200, and have the 5770 heavily overclocked for (single-screen) gaming, which has been running flawlessly for two years.

AMD has just released a new beta driver, 12.7, which upon installation turned out to offer a massive performance increase in the one game I play that still made my 5770 struggle (Skyrim with tons of graphic mods). Problem is, those same 12.7 drivers are also the ones that drop support for older video cards, including my 4200. As soon as I install them, the second screen goes black and the 4200 is reported as not working correctly in Device Manager.

I tried just hooking both screens to the 5770, but in addition to the slight annoyance of this pushing it out of idle during regular desktop use (which was the original reason I kept the 4200 going), as soon as I enable overclocking the screen gets constant flickering, even in desktop mode when it's not actually running at the top, overclocked frequencies. (Odd, considering that gaming is perfectly stable, but that's beta drivers for you I guess.)

I could put up with the extra noise/heat and with having to manually enable overclocking every time I want to Skyrim a bit, but I'd like to first try to achieve the optimal setup: the 5770 running on 12.7 drivers and the 4200 still active. I've been messing with setup programs and the Device Manager for the last couple of hours, but no matter in what order I perform any combination of install/uninstall/enable/disable the driver files remain shared between the two cards. I've also asked Windows to put the 4200 on standard VGA drivers (vgnapnp.sys), they do install but on reboot the device is reported as not working (and the screen is black).

Any ideas?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I haven't been up to date on the video card scene since Radeon 9800 Pros were the best cards around.

Am I retarded for asking if I can drive two 1080p monitors with a single 1GB 6450?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

ACID POLICE posted:

I haven't been up to date on the video card scene since Radeon 9800 Pros were the best cards around.

Am I retarded for asking if I can drive two 1080p monitors with a single 1GB 6450?
That would be fine, as long as you're not expecting any kind of graphics performance. If you just need it for desktop and no frills video playback, it'll be fine. If you've already got the card go ahead and do it, if you're buying a card get something better so you're not so heavily bottlenecked for video playback and web browsing.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Alereon posted:

That would be fine, as long as you're not expecting any kind of graphics performance. If you just need it for desktop and no frills video playback, it'll be fine. If you've already got the card go ahead and do it, if you're buying a card get something better so you're not so heavily bottlenecked for video playback and web browsing.

Yeah, I should have mentioned that it's only going to be in use on a DAW, like the most intense work I'm going to do on it is dual-boot it with OS X and run Illustrator there and watch 1080p video on one or the other. I'll just see how it fares.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

AMD has just released a new beta driver, 12.7, which upon installation turned out to offer a massive performance increase in the one game I play that still made my 5770 struggle (Skyrim with tons of graphic mods). Problem is, those same 12.7 drivers are also the ones that drop support for older video cards, including my 4200. As soon as I install them, the second screen goes black and the 4200 is reported as not working correctly in Device Manager.
Any ideas?

you could modify the driver package with the string to identify your 4200. Perhaps verifying the differences in the ini file of the old driver and new, and forcing the device manger to install both.

I don't think AMD immediately removed everything to do with those cards and I've seen ini fuckery work (for example, silicon image drivers that work in windows 7 x64, but not Server 2008 R2).

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

From the company that brought you the GTX 560 Ti heatsink extravaganza...

...comes a new beast.

280 fins.

20 Heatpipes.

A passively-cooled GTX 680!

Holy cow.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I need this. For my HTPC.

e: I don't even have a HTPC.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Can you even fit a quad-slot cooler like that in the top slot without hitting I/O panel ports, the CPU socket, or the RAM slots on an X79 board?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ACID POLICE posted:

the most intense work I'm going to do on it is dual-boot it with OS X and run Illustrator there and watch 1080p video on one or the other. I'll just see how it fares.

I have an office full of dual 1080p machines on 6450s, they work fine for general office work and video playback.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 30, 2012

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

Can you even fit a quad-slot cooler like that in the top slot without hitting I/O panel ports, the CPU socket, or the RAM slots on an X79 board?

Figure that'd have to be the sole occupant of your entire PCI-e getup, slotted in the lower position, and on top of that there's a pretty good chance you'd need to really carefully consider your cooler, too.

Even whatever EVGA is doing with their absurd gigantoboards wouldn't fit that adjacent to anything at all, holy crap that's a lot of passive cooling.

Do those guys make a CPU cooler? :getin:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Agreed posted:

Do those guys make a CPU cooler? :getin:

Just thinking of the most outrageously large coolers I know of; maybe you haven't seen the NoFan Icepipe (which was available at some point), or the Scythe Godhand (which wasn't ever available).

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

Just thinking of the most outrageously large coolers I know of; maybe you haven't seen the NoFan Icepipe (which was available at some point), or the Scythe Godhand (which wasn't ever available).

Mother of god.

It's beautiful... Elegant... Horribly inefficient... I want one so bad, just to have, you know, maybe solder it to the top of my case like a crown so everyone knows my case is the queen case and other cases need to just take it easy or heads are gonna roll, you know

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.

Yeah, baby I like it raw.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

A P6T is old enough to likely be out of warranty anyhow, so go for it!

For real though, it looks like there is no more risk doing this than there is when updating the bios normally, which is to say, there shouldn't be much of any risk at all, so long as your power does not go out in the middle of the flash.

So I did it, and I have SLI enabled now!! :neckbeard:

However, I just booted up Metro2033 to give this thing a run and the screen turned completely back and the computer was entirely unresponsive for a few minutes, no CTRL+ALT+DEL, no ALT+TAB, no mouse visible, etc. The task manager and mouse showed up a few minutes later. I'm gonna reinstall the latest Nvidia drivers and hopefully that will clear this issue up, any other tips/ideas as to why the screen went black and my computer became unresponsive? I am extremely new to SLI setups so I am very much just dipping my toe in the waters with all this.

I just installed GPU-Z and it says I have both GPUs enabled but I'm getting weird crashes where the drivers stop responding. Any ideas why?

dorkasaurus_rex fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 30, 2012

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I feel like I am cursed to buy nvidia cards that hit 85C~ and driver crash. I bought a 560 after my 285 started crashing, out of the box that would overheat in Total War: Shogun 2 and shut down the drivers, sent it back and now it's replacement (now a year old) hits 85 in The Secret World and shuts down the driver as well. Cooling shouldn't be the problem, I've changed case twice since the 285 (have a CM90 II Advanced right now), cleaned the dust out of it three months ago and today was only 15C outside. Underclock it keeps it to the low 80s, it can't seem to survive 90% GPU load at the factory speeds.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 1, 2012

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

When you have a bunch of the same part go bad, start looking at the power delivery (from the PSU itself to the motherboard PCI-e slot) as potential culprits. Especially when it's temperature related and consistent like that. As heat raises so does resistance, and with transistor counts in the 1 to 3 billion range, all that added resistance adds up to a more difficult load for iffy supporting hardware.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

As an addendum, I totally hosed up my computer and have spent most of my day just trying to get the thing to work the way it was before. I'm selling my two GTX560s and using it to recoup the cost of a GTX680 I purchased to replace them. Now I'm getting some bizarre "reboot and select proper boot device" error message that apparently I need to go through this hell to fix.

Lesson learned.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Any particular reason you bought a 680 over a 670? I'm too tired to remember if you're that guy who could get an overclocked 680 for less than a 670 domestic-to-you, or if you've just tossed a solid hundred bucks or so down the bin. The 670 performs at stock within 10% of a stock 680 and keeps up as they overclock. Odds of getting a "good" 670 (a sample that overclocks well) are around as good as a 680, judging by a bunch of crappy anecdotal data, probably because manufacturers themselves haven't really figured out how to effectively test for overclocking stability with the new aggressive clock stepping tech.

There are extremely, extremely few scenarios where a 680 just outperforms a 670. One SMX doesn't make much of a difference at all, and that's all that separates the two, they have identical memory bus, memory amount, core, ROPs - it's the least difference since... poo poo, I don't even remember. A long time.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
This is a new motherboard/CPU/ram but the power supply is the same. If it was the PSU wouldn't it be very likely to cause the PC to shutdown rather than just a driver crash?

Carecat fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 1, 2012

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Carecat posted:

This is a new motherboard/CPU/ram but the power supply is the same. If it was the PSU wouldn't it be very likely to cause the PC to shutdown rather than just a driver crash?
Nope, you can get all sorts of interesting symptoms from a bad (either failed or just crappy) power supply.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What model is the PSU, and is it still under warranty?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad-SLi PCI-E 750W Power Supply from 2009. For a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560Ti SUPER OC, SSD, HD, bluray drive and a i5 2500k at stock speeds.

It's really overkill but the one I ordered was out of stock.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 2, 2012

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Carecat posted:

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad-SLi PCI-E 750W Power Supply from 2009. For a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560Ti SUPER OC, SSD, HD, bluray drive and a i5 2500k at stock speeds.

It's really overkill but the one I ordered was out of stock.

That power supply is a beast. I have one myself. I would be shocked to hear it's giving you problems as I ran dual 560Tis on mine recently. Bought it when the 8800 GTX Ultra was around.

Love that ugly power supply!

Your 560Ti should *not* be hitting 85C. Have you tried removing the side of the case to rule out ventilation problems? What are the ambient temps in your room?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
New nvidia beta drivers out today that enable TXAA on 600 series cards. Someone get on that and report back!

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Dogen posted:

New nvidia beta drivers out today that enable TXAA on 600 series cards. Someone get on that and report back!

I'm pretty sure the game still needs to 'support' it, right?

It's not like you can force TXAA can you?

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So this is intensely annoying - Catalyst Control Centre won't open. I click, get an hourglass cursor for a sec, then nothing.
Seems like a fairly common problem, but I haven't found any working solution. Any advice??

movax
Aug 30, 2008

El Grillo posted:

So this is intensely annoying - Catalyst Control Centre won't open. I click, get an hourglass cursor for a sec, then nothing.
Seems like a fairly common problem, but I haven't found any working solution. Any advice??

It's "dumb" advice, but could possibly help, try re-install your drivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

El Grillo posted:

I had this happen once and the only thing I could do to fix it was to reinstall windows. I'm sure there is another way to fix it, but I tried uninstalling the drivers and CCC, removing all traces of it in safe mode, then reinstalling the drivers. Nothing worked.