Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

What is interesting is while the price may go up, the performance bump is actually going up even further which in of itself is surprising in a good way. Unlike Intel from the Ivy Bridge to Kaby Lake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm curious as to what makes those RT cores so special. There's path tracers that work just fine on regular shader cores, and the only reason they're slow as gently caress is because they're rendering studio quality stuff at high sampling counts and ray bounces.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

EdEddnEddy posted:

What is interesting is while the price may go up, the performance bump is actually going up even further which in of itself is surprising in a good way. Unlike Intel from the Ivy Bridge to Kaby Lake.

Heard 2080ti would be 150% 1080ti which about right isn't it?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

DrDork posted:

To be fair, that you can't get a 1070 cheap right now is thanks to crypto far more than NVidia, really.

The 770 launched at $400 (~$440 in today's dollars), the 970 at $330, the 1070 at $380, so somewhere in the ~$400 range would be about keeping par.

Actually I blame AMD for dropping the ball so hard, Nvidia really has no reason not to jack up their prices while the competition is basically gone fishing and there's no comeback in sight..

Anyway I bought my card in the 970 era, that's why I remember cards being much cheaper than today. I distinctly remember getting a mid-range 220€ card thinking that in 5 years I could get a much more powerful card for about the same money. Delusional fool :v: now for that price I could get a 1050Ti which is about 10% improvement from what I have.

When a card as great as the 970 was 350€ at launch and cheaper a few months later, it's hard to justify spending more than 450€ for the modern equivalent which is 2 years old now.. loving crypto and AMD

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Aug 15, 2018

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

TorakFade posted:

Anyway I bought my card in the 970 era, that's why I remember cards being much cheaper than today.

The 970 was unusually cheap for how good it was. NVidia kept prices low in an effort to really put the screws to AMD, which had at least been legit competing with the 2xx series vs NVidia's 7xx series up to that point.

So, yeah, you got one of the best price:performance cards in recent memory, and now you're looking at a market that's all hosed up thanks to a lack of competition and silly prices that still haven't entirely sorted themselves out after the crypto craze.

That said, if the xx70 launches at around $400, you're looking at probably a ~50% performance jump over the 970. Hard to be angry about that. But, yeah, no reason to buy a 1070 right at the moment if it's at anything other than aggressive firesale prices.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Hasn't this been the rumour for every nvidia card since the 8800GT?

Also remember that the Volta Turing GTX RTX 1180 2080 is being released in March April May June July August

I'm pretty sure at this point its just hardware sites making up poo poo over and over because when they're right for the 1 in 50th time, they were right!!!!

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 15, 2018

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

I just want the 1070ti I bought to drop in price before the price rewind period ends. Come on MSI, start discounting!

Quoting myself here, but I've already found $40+ worth of discounting. Come on, get aggressive into the weekend! My price rewind window closes on Friday, so I'm hoping to get some of my money back. Big fan of the 'enjoy it now' but 'pay the 2 month later price' on technology.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Meanwhile AMD sure did.....anounce a Vega based workstation card. (To be fair it’s pretty nice)

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.engadget.com/amp/2018/08/13/amd-radeon-pro-wx-8200-workstation-gpu/

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

What is the target demo for the RTX cards? Just high end 3d animators? I can't imagine that there are any games coming up that will take advantage of raytracing.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I think the new metro game is the only one that I've heard of that is using it so far.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Partial Octopus posted:

What is the target demo for the RTX cards? Just high end 3d animators? I can't imagine that there are any games coming up that will take advantage of raytracing.

The target is ultimately everyone. It's a process. First the game engines and APIs need to support it. But we have to start somewhere and that somewhere begins with someone with a suitable place in the industry actually building the hardware to make it worthwhile implementing software support.
DirectX 12 is shortly getting support for ray tracing concepts (DXR), which can be accelerated using these RT cores. Vulkan too, probably with extensions to begin with.

The upcoming Metro:Exodus game (release Feb 2019) will have support for various features achieved using ray tracing. So while there aren't many games now, there is one soon.
Things will be slow to pick up, but much more accurate simulation of light has been a long term goal in real-time rendering since forever. This hardware will allow creators/developers to iterate much more rapidly and accurately, allowing them to spend their time more usefully.
For people playing games, the result will be better image quality at the very least, but also cool things that were impossible/infeasible before now (seeing around corners using reflections, for example).

Other improvements could come in the form of an increase in the developers ambition. Simulating a full day/night cycle might have been out of the question for some projects, because of the increase in work needed to simulate everything with current, unsophisticated methods. I would really like to play a round of Battlefield which begins at dusk and sees you fighting through the night until dawn.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Riflen posted:

DirectX 12 is shortly getting support for ray tracing concepts (DXR), which can be accelerated using these RT cores. Vulkan too, probably with extensions to begin with.

Yeah, NV is pushing a Vulkan extension which follows the same principles as DXR: http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2018/presentation/s8521-advanced-graphics-extensions-for-vulkan.pdf

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The card partners have info and cards now, so here comes EVEN MORE RUMORS BABY!!!!

https://videocardz.com/77312/nvidia-geforce-20-series-rumor-roundup-3-breaking-the-enigma

Looks like the 2080 is going to have significantly fewer shaders than the 1080 Ti (between 2944 and 3072), but with higher clocks and more memory bandwidth. The rumored price is $649.

It also looks like the 2080 Ti may launch sooner rather than later, with it already showing up in the GPU-Z database. This kinda makes the memory amounts make more sense, and blends nicely with the earlier rumors/theorycrafting of Nvidia wanting to establish a new price point above the current Ti's $699.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cygni posted:

The card partners have info and cards now, so here comes EVEN MORE RUMORS BABY!!!!

https://videocardz.com/77312/nvidia-geforce-20-series-rumor-roundup-3-breaking-the-enigma

Looks like the 2080 is going to have significantly fewer shaders than the 1080 Ti (between 2944 and 3072), but with higher clocks and more memory bandwidth. The rumored price is $649.

It also looks like the 2080 Ti may launch sooner rather than later, with it already showing up in the GPU-Z database. This kinda makes the memory amounts make more sense, and blends nicely with the earlier rumors/theorycrafting of Nvidia wanting to establish a new price point above the current Ti's $699.

1080 FE launched with a 699 price point, and the Partner's Board were $599, so that is probably pretty reasonable all things considered.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Lockback posted:

1080 FE launched with a 699 price point, and the Partner's Board were $599, so that is probably pretty reasonable all things considered.

Yeah, as noted, after factoring in inflation, the $600 1080 would have been more like $630 if it launched now, so with RAM pricing being what it is, and AMD nowhere to be found, $650 seems about as optimistic as we can hope for.

A 2080Ti sooner rather than later would also be appreciated, as there's tons of headroom left on high-end monitors right now. A 3440x1440@120Hz would easily take a 1080Ti + 50% to max out with a lot of current AAA titles, nevermind future ones. And 4k@>60Hz is drawing close, too.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I was concerned with the gamescon rumors and whatnot for my auctions but in just one day the bids are already 3/4 of what I paid for the cards lol. I just hope there arent any problems once someone wins and then literally 12 hours later nvidia releases the 2070 for $199 and suddenly Im not getting payment

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

1gnoirents posted:

I was concerned with the gamescon rumors and whatnot for my auctions but in just one day the bids are already 3/4 of what I paid for the cards lol. I just hope there arent any problems once someone wins and then literally 12 hours later nvidia releases the 2070 for $199 and suddenly Im not getting payment

Really doubt the 2070 will be below $450 at this rate. Would be nice if it was though.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

1gnoirents posted:

I just hope there arent any problems once someone wins and then literally 12 hours later nvidia releases the 2070 for $199 and suddenly Im not getting payment

Lol you are literally worried that Nvidia might not price gouge

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm curious as to what makes those RT cores so special. There's path tracers that work just fine on regular shader cores, and the only reason they're slow as gently caress is because they're rendering studio quality stuff at high sampling counts and ray bounces.

Existing hardware does not have support for ray tracing acceleration structures. Casting a ray is simple mathematically, but passing around the information to intersect and shade that ray is not well suited to raster hardware.

A key difference is that ray casting is highly incoherent. Once you hit a surface, if you want to cast a reflection ray in a random direction, you need more than just the immediately adjacent vertex or screen space information. That's a lot of information to carry in memory and the extra level of indirection is expensive to handle with compute shaders.

On the other hand, raster graphics have been aggressively optimized for throughput. Rendering workflow generally involves setting one shader and then running it over lots of adjacent pixels. Since you're frequently drawing different parts of the same surface, you can reuse most of the state. This minimizes time spent changing state and copying information.

Whereas a ray hit can potentially run any different shader based on what surface it hit. These can also potentially emit more rays, and before you know it, your cache is completely trashed.

So all the ray tracing functionality that DXR exposes is explicitly handled by RTX, instead of being emulated in compute.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

*jaws noises*

https://twitter.com/IntelGraphics/status/1029792940648878080

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Leave it to Raja to do the shroud reveal 2 years ahead of actually having a product.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry intel you missed the bitcoin timing.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I was going to get an RTX 2080 but that teaser convinced me to wait.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Larrabee 2: Electric Boogaloo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

calusari posted:

They even have Tom Forsyth back.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

DoctorTristan posted:

Lol you are literally worried that Nvidia might not price gouge

I mean... the used market will tank. I just hope it isnt much. As discussed, there is little reason for me to worry about it being too low lol, but its a little hairy when $1500 is in the air and if there isnt a payment then the next go around will definitely bring in less. Its my fault for waiting

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I wonder how many XTREME GAMING designers Intel have on hand to design their consumer GPUs; be fun to see a style stand out by being extremely muted.

Not to mention the web page.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 15, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Their SSDs have retarded skulls on them don't they?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

VelociBacon posted:

Their SSDs have retarded skulls on them don't they?

some of their NUCs have the skulls too

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

ufarn posted:

I wonder how many XTREME GAMING designers Intel have on hand to design their consumer GPUs; be fun to see a style stand out by being extremely muted.

Not to mention the web page.

Intel - "extremely muted"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

havenwaters posted:

some of their NUCs have the skulls too

C’mon, it’s called Skull Canyon, they are required by law.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Are you people really surprised? They've been doing it since skull trail at least

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1029833564484001802

The implication is that Nvidia is already preparing product pages for a 2080ti :thunk:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If they're releasing the 2080 Ti at the same time, that probably presages it being more expensive than previously (the x80 normally declines over time, and the x80 Ti slots in near its original price). The rumors about "2080 is going to be $1000!" sound absurd but I could believe $500-600 for the 2080 and $800-900 for the 2080 Ti, maybe up to $1000 for the Ti in an extreme case. Although I suppose it depends on if the 2080 is really a GT302 cutdown or not.

(I still see people making the "NVIDIA has so many 1080s that they're going to price the 2080 crazy high in order to keep you buying up their 10-series cards!" which sounds kinda nuts, but I guess we'll see. If nothing else, B-stock 1080s are so cheap right now that the 2060 may not be much of a value-add especially if it doesn't have raytracing...)

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I bet the 2080ti is just replacing the Titan in product lineup

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Also here's some practical raytracing benchmarks from EA SEED, which are a bit more credible than Nvidia's own cherry picked numbers:

https://twitter.com/ZigguratVertigo/status/1029840012743864321

Turing is really good at shooting rays :hellyeah:

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

calusari posted:

It'll work this time you guys, not like the last time we tried making a GPU, or the last time before that, or that other last time, or

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

future ghost posted:

It'll work this time you guys, not like the last time we tried making a GPU, or the last time before that, or that other last time, or

They make more GPUs for PCs today than everybody else combined, to be fair.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
True, I should have specified high-performance GPU. As long as they don't call it anything similar to XGI or Volari..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If EVGA brings out a hybrid xx80ti day 1 I'm going to poo poo myself and preorder it. Yes I know I can buy a kit with the cooler but I like having it prepackaged like that and the easy RMA if anything happens.