Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Green Gloves posted:

Its an EVGA 1080TI still in shrink wrap. Yeah I am thinking $300 would be a no brainer.

Also right now the 980 ti could very well drop in value by $100 after launch of the new series. Its probably best value right now.

If it's "new in shrink", I'd be sure to either ask to open it in the presence of the seller to verify the card is what they say it is, or pay them using Paypal (which would also give you a receipt for the sale).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

How does EVGA's step-up work? I'm in the middle of building a new PC and don't want to be stuck on a 780 for a month at least

They explain it way better than I could: https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

That same 90 day period is also the window where you can purchase an additional two or seven years of extra warranty for your card (which, as you can see on the Step-Up page, transfers over to any cards you upgrade to using the program): https://www.evga.com/support/warranty/extended.asp

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 20, 2018

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Cygni posted:

The rumor is 2080 and 2080 Ti by September, 2070 and 2060 in October/November. Who knows what the stock situation will be though.

Oh phew, I had the thought in my head that it would be tomorrow for some low level stock "release". That gives me plenty of time, thanks cygni

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Tomorrow is supposedly going to be a paper launch with pre-orders.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hope there's enough stock by end of November. I want a new card before Just Cause 4 is out.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm hoping for 50-60% gains gen-over-gen but I dunno if that's overly optimistic this time around.

I figure that unless there's big uarch gains, you can't increase performance by more than your RAM bandwidth. Gotta feed the beast. GDDR6 is ~50% faster than GDDR5X, and you won't be able to capture all that gain, so 50-60% is assuming they can make some decent uarch gains as well. Better delta compression, better cache behavior, etc.

All that stuff costs die area, and they don't have much room to spare (even with the increased die sizes) if they also want to cram in tensor and raytracing units.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 20, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm hoping for 50-60% gains gen-over-gen but I dunno if that's overly optimistic this time around.

my guess is a good deal lower than that, until stuff starts using the ray tracing anyway. but im still gonna grab one asap because i have a weak mushy GamerBrain®

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

I figure that unless there's big uarch gains, you can't increase performance by more than your RAM bandwidth. Gotta feed the beast. GDDR6 is ~50% faster than GDDR5X, and you won't be able to capture all that gain, so 50-60% is assuming they can make some decent uarch gains as well. Better delta compression, better cache behavior, etc.

The Volta whitepaper specifically mentions improved bandwidth utilisation over Pascal for whatever that's worth, from 76% on P100 to 95% on V100.

Provided that improvement isn't somehow specific to their HBM2 controller it ought to carry over to Turing.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They explain it way better than I could: https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

That same 90 day period is also the window where you can purchase an additional two or seven years of extra warranty for your card (which, as you can see on the Step-Up page, transfers over to any cards you upgrade to using the program): https://www.evga.com/support/warranty/extended.asp

So if I'm reading it right, I can theoretically watch Nvidia's thing tomorrow, buy a 1070, wait for a 2070, step up to it in October? No catch? Or am I missing something?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'm just hoping this drives down the 10xx series price wise.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

So if I'm reading it right, I can theoretically watch Nvidia's thing tomorrow, buy a 1070, wait for a 2070, step up to it in October? No catch? Or am I missing something?

Don't you have to wait for EVGA to contact you and make a step-up offer?
I heard stories that it can take months when demand is high, and they only offer the less desirable models.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

sauer kraut posted:

Don't you have to wait for EVGA to contact you and make a step-up offer?
I heard stories that it can take months when demand is high, and they only offer the less desirable models.
You have to start the step-up process within 90 days and choose a model at that point, then wait in a queue. They do limit models but I think a bigger issue has been that non-reference models usually came afterwards, meaning they didn't exist in the time frame you had to make a decision. Been a while since I bought a GPU, though.
They keep a list of what cards you can step-up to, so I'd expect them to update it fairly soon.

(list is https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/ , scroll down)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Malloc Voidstar posted:

You have to start the step-up process within 90 days and choose a model at that point, then wait in a queue. They do limit models but I think a bigger issue has been that non-reference models usually came afterwards, meaning they didn't exist in the time frame you had to make a decision. Been a while since I bought a GPU, though.
They keep a list of what cards you can step-up to, so I'd expect them to update it fairly soon.

(list is https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/ , scroll down)

The thing I didn't like about Step-Up last time is the EVGA guy I emailed specifically told me they had "no plans" to offer a non-reference 1080ti, but they did indeed offer it for Step-Up some months later. So yeah, it's a little tricky. It'd be great if NVidia really does finally make the reference card an open cooler, but that would make too much sense to be true.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Theoretically, yes. You could apply for the Step Up program on your 89th day of ownership (remember, you need to register to qualify), and so long as it's confirmed you're in the program, whenever EVGA starts offering 1070s, you'll be able to upgrade to one.

A word of caution, though - it stands to reason that nVidia will do the same thing with the 2070 as they're going to do with the 2080 and 2080Ti - offer FEs first, then let the AIB makers sell their custom versions a month later. You might want to wait until the 2070 FE comes out and buy in then, just to give yourself more flexibility. You might have to wait longer, but once you're ~in the system~, they'll get around to you eventually. At that point, it's just a matter of making sure you have the money to upgrade when they send you the email asking if you're still interested.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/videocardz/status/1031439995263967233

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

my guess is a good deal lower than that, until stuff starts using the ray tracing anyway. but im still gonna grab one asap because i have a weak mushy GamerBrain®

Yeah, I'm expecting 30-40% but I'm hoping for 50-60%.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

:bisonyes: Those look sweet and could be great open air coolers, they seem like they use NVidia's blower bearings/motor so they probably have great audio tuning like the blowers do.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I hope games using GameWorks will make use of raytracing pretty quickly, even if just for shadows. Kinda like games using PCSS and HFTS via GameWorks.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Zero VGS posted:

:bisonyes: Those look sweet and could be great open air coolers, they seem like they use NVidia's blower bearings/motor so they probably have great audio tuning like the blowers do.

Do they really have great audio tuning? My 980 Ti Reference was super loud.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, so was mine. I had it running the reference cooler for 2-3 weeks to make sure it works right before putting the water block on and jesus christ was it loud and hot.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yikes

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1031498771132284928?s=19

repiv fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 20, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So this is what Nvidia does when they are well and truly free of any competition.

Jesus christ, Intel, hurry the gently caress up. (I'm not fond of the traditional duopoly any, either.)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

for anyone that missed it, it was

quote:

VideoCardz.com on Twitter: "ZOTAC GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP! Edition to cost 1199 USD
https://t.co/JuZDDyldX5"
e: lol
Ultimatly, the 2080 and 1180 complainers are both right

The card is 2080 and will cost about $1180

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How much for one of those Volta boxes again?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
No even vaguely surprised at that price. With the next next gen close to ready as well there'll be an extra unaffordable tier like that for the next year or two from now.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
A mere 200 bucks more than a Note 9, what a bargain.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I can't wait to drop 2 mortgage payments on something I would use to play Dead Cells. Yeah forget that noise, loving insane if true.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
Will enough people pay that price? I thought it would be more like 700-800 for a 2080. Worst case scenario, I pick up a cheap 1080ti.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
If true, it seems more like a ploy to get people to buy 1080s than 2080s.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not-Ti it is then for me.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://videocardz.com/newz/inno3d-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-lineup-leaked

Inno3Ds hybrid cards have a 280mm radiator :shittypop:

e: also, an actual photo of the new reference cooler

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1031541634025046016

how the hell is VCZ leaking everything while the other sites have basically nothing :thunk:

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 20, 2018

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
e; beaten like AMD's next rehash of Polaris

The murmured release date is September 20 though.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 20, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

repiv posted:

how the hell is VCZ leaking everything while the other sites have basically nothing :thunk:

yeah, not signing the NDA (if they were ever even offered) really paid off for them. their traffic has to be crazy lately.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

So it seems like most 3-fan cards are in the 300mm range. My case can fit a max of around a 286mm card. Will I lose much performance if I go with a shorter card with fewer fans? Or is it just going to be a bit louder? Is it worth changing my case to just accommodate larger cards?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Thing goes live in half an hour or so: https://www.twitch.tv/nvidia

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

ufarn posted:

If true, it seems more like a ploy to get people to buy 1080s than 2080s.

$1199? No thanks, I'll be the rational consumer and buy the $899 non-Ti, thank you very much.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Partial Octopus posted:

So it seems like most 3-fan cards are in the 300mm range. My case can fit a max of around a 286mm card. Will I lose much performance if I go with a shorter card with fewer fans? Or is it just going to be a bit louder? Is it worth changing my case to just accommodate larger cards?
I'd expect most two fan coolers to be at least adequate, especially from companies that generally don't skimp on cooling like EVGA.

There are some outliers like MSI's Armor cooler where they tried to save too much money on the heatsink, or small form factor cards that intentionally give up performance to fit in a smaller size.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Lambert posted:

Do they really have great audio tuning? My 980 Ti Reference was super loud.

They are an order of magnitude quieter than any 3rd party blowers like the "generic" GTX blowers that Asus/EVGA/PNY put out, as well as way quieter than the notorious AMD blowers. When I say audio tuning I mean they are pretty much inaudible below 50% fan speed, and even when cranked higher, the sound is a loud, low frequency "hush" sound instead of multiple high-pitched frequencies like other blowers. In particular, the sound doesn't punch through my pair of Astro A40 headphones like other cards can.

I get a ton of store credit at Dell I've gotten quite a few Founder's Edition cards and generic PNY blowers to compare against, I had reference R9 290 and reference RX 480 as well and there's just no comparison to the FE blower sound profile. Obviously, it's not better than just enjoy any open-air cooler, but it's leagues better than other blowers. If they're applying that tech to an open-air cooler I'm expecting it to be awesome.

The Milkman posted:

$1199? No thanks, I'll be the rational consumer and buy the $899 non-Ti, thank you very much.

Yeah, the way the 1080ti was priced, it was twice as good as two 1070 for about exactly twice the money. There was literally premium to pay for top performance, which was very unusual, and I assume it was mostly to dunk on AMD. Now that AMD has been well and truly dunked, 1170 will probably revert to the value leader.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 20, 2018

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm waiting for the $1499 2180 TI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
My hard limit is 700...

In some other timeline, Intel and ati both have competing products and there's an actual price war. Cryptocurrency doesn't exist. It's a happier place.