Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So uh, what’s the chance we’ll see SFF sized 2070/2080 cards? From what it looks like, this gen doesn’t look cooler or more power efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
2070 probably, 2080 I wouldn't hold your breath.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

buglord posted:

So uh, what’s the chance we’ll see SFF sized 2070/2080 cards? From what it looks like, this gen doesn’t look cooler or more power efficient.

https://www.techpowerup.com/248653/zotac-intros-geforce-rtx-2070-mini-series

It's kind of mentioned as an aside, but for whatever reason these omit the USB-C port for the new generation of VR headsets, yet includes DL-DVI for whatever reason.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

RTX 2080 Ti FE should fit into a Dan A4 :getin:

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

orcane posted:

RTX 2080 Ti FE should fit into a Dan A4 :getin:

im putting mine into an INWIN A-1 if anyone wants to see it when I get it

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Arivia posted:

It's nice to dream about a nice card for 1080p/60 or one that's better if we have another $20, but that's not the question we're being asked. Ataxerxes is saying they're under a tight budget, and that that very specific box pictured falls within what they can afford. We don't know the country or access to other sellers they have; we have to go by what's there. For the original question of "can this pictured product replace my 750ti" the answer is yes. It is not a bad card, MSI is a fine manufacturer, and it will meet or slightly exceed the current performance they have. As a replacement, it is suitable.

It isn't what I'd recommend in that price range if someone was asking in the parts-picking megathread, but this is a very different context.

Thanks for all the advice, US-Ebay isn't an option as I live in Finland and both shipping expenses and shipping times would be substantial, if shipping to Finland could be had at all. Currently that price is about what I can afford, the rest of my system is about 6 years old (i7 3770k processor, 8gb ram etc) and I'm looking to replace it in the next spring. Meanwhile I need a card that will carry me through about 6-9 months, that I can get right now and that is not worse than what I have. I'm looking into getting a G-synch monitor around December (we get tax returns then), would that increase performance also? Currently I mostly play War Thunder, Destiny 2 and older stuff that isn't AAA.

Edit: Also, that picture is from the outlet section of a major local retailer and part of the reason I would prefer that place is that it would make possible replacement issues a piece of cake. If they have cards by AMD for cheap which sort of models would be reasonable for around the same price (~125€)?

Ataxerxes fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 19, 2018

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Ataxerxes posted:

Thanks for all the advice, US-Ebay isn't an option as I live in Finland and both shipping expenses and shipping times would be substantial, if shipping to Finland could be had at all. Currently that price is about what I can afford, the rest of my system is about 6 years old (i7 3770k processor, 8gb ram etc) and I'm looking to replace it in the next spring. Meanwhile I need a card that will carry me through about 6-9 months, that I can get right now and that is not worse than what I have. I'm looking into getting a G-synch monitor around December (we get tax returns then), would that increase performance also? Currently I mostly play War Thunder, Destiny 2 and older stuff that isn't AAA.

Edit: Also, that picture is from the outlet section of a major local retailer and part of the reason I would prefer that place is that it would make possible replacement issues a piece of cake. If they have cards by AMD for cheap which sort of models would be reasonable for around the same price (~125€)?

G-sync won't increase performance but it will make it much smoother when you do have drops in fps. It updates the refresh rate of the monitor to the output of the video card within a specific range to eliminate things like stuttering and tearing.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Ataxerxes posted:

In general the Raden RX 560 is very close to the 1050 in performance.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
More importantly, AMD cards don't work with g-sync monitors. If you go for AMD now, you'll confine your monitor options to freesync in December. On the upside, freesync monitors are cheaper.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

I'm the invisible graffiti artist at 7:45.

Joking aside, decals aren't something you can just pop-in like that. It looks awful. At least mipmap it to a graffiti-shaped blur that comes into focus instead of just appearing.

E: Also from that video 1060 holds its own against 980. 9xx and 10xx were really golden generations.

Harik fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 19, 2018

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

I just noticed that the same retailer has this: https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/28139/hqqnk/Asus-GeForce-GTX-1050Ti-PH-GTX1050TI-4G-4096-Mt-naytonohjain
On special offer for the weekend. That difference in prices is small enough for me to, considering that the other GPU might not have been in a sealed box and it might not have full warranty, as opposed to this. Would the difference between that 1050 2G and this 1050ti 4gt be substantial enough to be worth the extra 50€?

Edit: Noice levels are not something I need to bother about, so if this large fan is noisy it doesn't really matter that much.

Ataxerxes fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 19, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ataxerxes posted:

I just noticed that the same retailer has this: https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/28139/hqqnk/Asus-GeForce-GTX-1050Ti-PH-GTX1050TI-4G-4096-Mt-naytonohjain
On special offer for the weekend. That difference in prices is small enough for me to, considering that the other GPU might not have been in a sealed box and it might not have full warranty, as opposed to this. Would the difference between that 1050 2G and this 1050ti 4gt be substantial enough to be worth the extra 50€?

Edit: Noice levels are not something I need to bother about, so if this large fan is noisy it doesn't really matter that much.

Absolutely. A 1050ti’s 4GB memory fixes that bottleneck we were all worried about. I checked and ASUS doesn’t list that card as needing a power connector, so if you can fit it, go for it. (If it does, someone posted earlier in this conversation about how to convert one out of a molex power of you need that.)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

More importantly, AMD cards don't work with g-sync monitors. If you go for AMD now, you'll confine your monitor options to freesync in December. On the upside, freesync monitors are cheaper.

People on tight budgets for video cards aren’t buying gsync monitors

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Arivia posted:

Absolutely. A 1050ti’s 4GB memory fixes that bottleneck we were all worried about. I checked and ASUS doesn’t list that card as needing a power connector, so if you can fit it, go for it. (If it does, someone posted earlier in this conversation about how to convert one out of a molex power of you need that.)

Thanks, I'll go for that one then. I have a full tower case and my gpu before the 750ti was a double size one.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Arivia posted:

1050ti is a 75w card which is one of its biggest advantages. You can put them in basically anything- including refurbished dell/hp/lenovo SFF office machines, and have a computer that can play any game on great/good settings

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ok since everyone said rtx 2080 isn't much an upgrade over 1080ti. I got 2080ti founders edition since I couldn't find any aftermarket versions on stock. I found some being sold 2nd hand with RIDICULOUS prices. Even more ridiculous than RTX's regular pricing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

People on tight budgets for video cards aren’t buying gsync monitors

Except the poster he's responding to literally said he's looking to buy a gsync monitor in December.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

at this point gsync tax looks less horrible when the high end cards are like $1500 lmao

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Statutory Ape posted:

1050ti is a 75w card which is one of its biggest advantages. You can put them in basically anything- including refurbished dell/hp/lenovo SFF office machines, and have a computer that can play any game on great/good settings

Right but there are some with secondary power connectors and since we’d just talked about that with the even less powerful 1050 I figured it was worth clarifying.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Statutory Ape posted:

at this point gsync tax looks less horrible when the high end cards are like $1500 lmao

Don't need gsync when you can max the framerate anyway. Better to buy a 650ti so you get the most use out of the gsync capability.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Statutory Ape posted:

Gsync tax is letting me skip the overpriced 20xx generation and keep rolling with my 2 year old card, so hell yeah!

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I'm glad it looks like there isn't a ton of point waiting for a 2060 right now. A 1060 6gb should do me well when I can pick one up :unsmith:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Statutory Ape posted:

renaming titan has turned out to be a hell of a correct marketing move

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Cygni posted:

renaming titan has turned out to be a hell of a correct marketing move

They only did it because they didn't want the new ti to turn out being the same performance as the old ti card. So they got what would have been the new titan and moved the ti moniker to that. That's what the cynic in me thinks anyway. The ti traditionally didn't even show up for a few months after the initial x080 release.

nvidia is getting too comfortable and I have no doubt some suits at both AMD and Intel are smelling blood among all the complacency

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

nvidia is getting too comfortable and I have no doubt some suits at both AMD and Intel are smelling blood among all the complacency
yeah, thats some extreme wishful thinking to me. i don't see any competition for nvidia for years down the road, and they clearly dont either as Turing revolves around keeping the price/performance curve flat and introducing new features that are designed to functionally lock AMD/Intel out if widely adopted. it's a strategy they've used before, too.

they remarketed the Titan cause they knew from the mining rush that Big Gamers would still buy whatever the top end gaming marketed cards were even if they were $1200. and they were right, it seems.

thats my take anyway.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
9900k reviews are starting to come out. Unfortunantly, both Tom's and Anandtech used a base 1080 GTX for their gaming tests, which means a GPU bottleneck is all but guaranteed at 1440p tests, and is apparent even in a lot of the 1080p tests. Anandtech hasn't posted their OC numbers on the 9900k yet, but they did get the 9700k stable at 5.3GHz (wouldn't boot at 5.4).

Tom's hardware's OC results on the 9900k are a little disappointing. They used a Corsair's H115i v2 water cooler, and clocked it at 5.0ghz at 1.33v. The chip hit 85C during non-AVX stress tests. They ended up using a -200mhz AVX offset, and hit 95C during three hours of prime 95 with these settings. Adding two cores to essentially the same chip architecture sucks a lot of power, which means more heat. The soldered heat spreader helps deal with this extra power, but the overclocked chip drew 250 watts under heavy load, which is a lot.

They benchmarked the 5.0GHz 9900k vs a 4.9GHz 8700k in their gaming tests. The difference is negligible, if anyone is thinking of upgrading from 8th gen to 9th gen. The added cores / threads are handy for producivity applications, but games don't appear to be making great use of the additional horizontal capacity right now.

I am looking forward to Digital Foundry's review. They always use a burly GPU to eliminate bottlenecks as best as they can.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 19, 2018

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nvidia are releasing a new GTX1060 variant with 6GB of GDDR5X for some reason :shrug:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1060/

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Perhaps they ordered more gddr5x memory than they needed and put it to good use

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

repiv posted:

Nvidia are releasing a new GTX1060 variant with 6GB of GDDR5X for some reason :shrug:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1060/

what is this post

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Statutory Ape posted:

what is this post

Frame Buffer 6 GB GDDR5/X

the x wasn't there until recently

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

maybe to counter the RX 590 thats launching soon? or maybe Nvidia doesn't formally offer GP102 or GP104 in the product list anymore and there is leftover 5X to burn? both? neither? horses are just big dogs?

Cygni fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 19, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

good catch then, people.

its good that in 2018 we're getting yet another 1060 variant

also its good in 2018 that nvidia just made me restart my computer to do a driver update which once again reset my desktop settings el oh el

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I guess that's the rumoured Pascal overstock making itself felt

they couldn't all be 1080s or 1080tis

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

ronya posted:

I guess that's the rumoured Pascal overstock making itself felt

they couldn't all be 1080s or 1080tis

Part of the rumor is that the new 1060 refresh is actually using GP104 cores instead of GP106. So it might just be 1080's after all.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
my 2080ti already shipped :0

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Is there anybody that could make some intelligent speculation as to what this gens 1050ti might perform like?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

Is there anybody that could make some intelligent speculation as to what this gens 1050ti might perform like?

If the rest of the lineup has been any clue, it'll probably be similar to the 1060

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

il serpente cosmico posted:

If the rest of the lineup has been any clue, it'll probably be similar to the 1060

and cost $50 more :v:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Cygni posted:

and cost $50 more :v:

Won't it have the RTX stuff stripped off it? With any luck it won't have an inflated price. AMD should have some competitive parts in that price range, unlike the high end, which could also help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Part of the rumor is that the new 1060 refresh is actually using GP104 cores instead of GP106. So it might just be 1080's after all.

Wouldn't that undercut the 2070 in a major way? I guess if it's just 1070 tier performance it's not so bad.