Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I rescind all earlier statements and accept Palit as a superior brand and manufacturer in every respect.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

My GeForce 4 was a pny

That's all I got

E: this may be a dumb question but have any of you tried the GPU warranty + CC warranty to get an old rear end GPU replaced somehow ?

E: hey wow palit looks like a brand I can trust, as an American that will never own one

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Only input I really have on Palit is the Gamerock 1080 cooler and fans are a real good solution. IDK about anything newer but that's a very good card.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

My GeForce 4 was a pny

That's all I got

E: this may be a dumb question but have any of you tried the GPU warranty + CC warranty to get an old rear end GPU replaced somehow ?

E: hey wow palit looks like a brand I can trust, as an American that will never own one

I've used GPU warranty to get GPU replaced (in warranty) two times with EVGA (I'm in Canada).

Pretty sure you can't use the CC warranty to replace a perfectly good albeit older gen GPU?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I never said perfectly good

I'll add: a broken old rear end GPU, in America (USA) , specifically using an extended cc warranty

Sorry

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Palit are great and top a lot of benchmarks, but their shroud designer is on acid.

I’d buy them over MSI, Gigabyte, Zotac, PNY any day.

They are also often very chonky which makes managing internals difficult, but that’s most GPUs these days.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 29, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

chonky frog

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Clean, no phyllomedusa on blower

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
the return of frogmech, pbuh

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

ufarn posted:

Palit are great and top a lot of benchmarks, but their shroud designer is on acid.

I’d buy them over MSI, Gigabyte, Zotac, PNY any day.

They are also often very chonky which makes managing internals difficult, but that’s most GPUs these days.

I think Palit and pny are owned by the same company. I had a pny 1060 for 2 years that I sold to a friend. They tell me it's still working fine 2 years down the line.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ChazTurbo posted:

I think Palit and pny are owned by the same company. I had a pny 1060 for 2 years that I sold to a friend. They tell me it's still working fine 2 years down the line.
PNY is American and not affiliated with Palit as far as I can tell.

Palit and Gainward are the same company. They also release GPUs under the Galax and KFA2 brands (among others).

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

the return of frogmech, pbuh

How does his power levels stack up against fishmech?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Iirc they used to release under Galaxy too in certain markets (SEA). My 6600gt was a galaxy.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
computerbase.de include Palit/Gainward in many of their benchmarks if someone wants to take a look under the hood by the way.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i had the frog hd4870. it owned. still works as well.

never had a problem with the palit cards, apart from the gtx570 i had from them exhibiting a little coil whine

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol ‘give me (gddr)5 or nothing’. (V)Ram wars.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Shaocaholica posted:

Aside from getting the correct MXM version, form factor(size) and wattage are there any other considerations for compatibility? Do some laptops require specific vbios to work? PC laptops not iMacs.

You may be interested in SwissArmyDruid's post from a few months back: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3484126&pagenumber=1442&perpage=40#post482205511

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

CaptainSarcastic posted:

So far my new 2070 Super is performing nicely. It's weird being able to max everything out and have headroom to spare. Haven't had a chance to try it out on many games yet, but it is really impressive so far. It looks like my system is running about 2 degrees hotter than it was with the 1060 in the case, but I figure topping out around 77 degrees celsius on a Ryzen 3600X is fine.

In other news, got an email today that Best Buy finally cancelled my "stuck" order. This is after I lost my patience and filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, so that might be related. It is so weird to go from a perfectly ordinary experience ordering a monitor from them to ending up in customer service hell ordering a GPU.

Just out of curiosity, what is your next play? Are you going to skip the 3000 series, which is generally thought to release in September-ish? Or are you going to sell your 2070 in a few months and upgrade? I'm pretty interested because the financial play of buying a graphics card right now is basically, I mean no offense but basically close to throwing money into a dumpster fire. People have lots of reasons to buy things, and I'm absolutely not judging, I'm just curious what people making GPU buys right now are thinking and where their value is at going forward.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I had just built a new machine for the first time in a decade and I wasn't going to wait to get a videocard to keep up with it. I've needed to upgrade my old machine for the last couple years but couldn't swing it financially. No way I am going to limp along with a GPU bottleneck after having to wait literal years to upgrade the rest of the machine.

I have never sold a videocard, and plan to hang onto this one. I don't see a 2070S being underpowered for quite some time, and I'll upgrade as needed. I don't need the newest and most powerful GPU, I just need a GPU that does what I want. The 2070S does that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

orcane posted:

PNY is American and not affiliated with Palit as far as I can tell.

Palit and Gainward are the same company. They also release GPUs under the Galax and KFA2 brands (among others).

My PNY 1060 6GB looks identical to a Palit 1060 6GB I saw in a review. Don't know if that's indicative of anything, just something I noticed around the time I purchased the card.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I doubt either has their own GPU assembly lines, so they are likely taking the reference PCB design, buying an off the shelf cooler from someone like CoolerMaster, and outsourcing to Foxconn, Pegatron, or Flextronics for PCB production and assembly.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can quadro GPUs run in SLI just like GeForce? Driver hacks?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Icept posted:

How does his power levels stack up against fishmech?

Do they still post? I just realized I haven't seen them in the threads I usually read in a long time

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

Do they still post? I just realized I haven't seen them in the threads I usually read in a long time

https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=99779

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

:wtc:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Well. That explains that, then.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

:stonk:

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Taima posted:

Just out of curiosity, what is your next play? Are you going to skip the 3000 series, which is generally thought to release in September-ish? Or are you going to sell your 2070 in a few months and upgrade? I'm pretty interested because the financial play of buying a graphics card right now is basically, I mean no offense but basically close to throwing money into a dumpster fire. People have lots of reasons to buy things, and I'm absolutely not judging, I'm just curious what people making GPU buys right now are thinking and where their value is at going forward.
Buying a GPU right now is not throwing money into a fire. That's absurd. A 2070S is going to be a high-performer for years.

The rule is: if you need it now, buy it now. If you don't need it now, don't buy it now.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

teagone posted:

My PNY 1060 6GB looks identical to a Palit 1060 6GB I saw in a review. Don't know if that's indicative of anything, just something I noticed around the time I purchased the card.

The plain black "dual" models? Those are a generic Chinesium cooler sold by quite a few brands.
On a 120W x60 they might even do the job half decent.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Taima posted:

I bought a 2080S for $650 in March because I (correctly) assumed I would be playing more games in 6 months than I usually do in a year. I also figured my 1070 might struggle a bit with Alyx. So it's hardly throwing money away.

I figured when the next gen comes out I'll weigh selling vs waiting. If Nvidia likes to do refreshes now it might make more sense to wait anyway.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

lol

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Lockback posted:

I bought a 2080S for $650 in March because I (correctly) assumed I would be playing more games in 6 months than I usually do in a year. I also figured my 1070 might struggle a bit with Alyx. So it's hardly throwing money away.

I figured when the next gen comes out I'll weigh selling vs waiting. If Nvidia likes to do refreshes now it might make more sense to wait anyway.

That is a good point!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I bought a EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid card that just came in today.

Shame on me: didn't know that AIO radiators needed to be mounted above the pump which meant that the only usable spot was reversing the fan into pull mode and mounting it in front of the case (ahead of a CPU air cooler)

Shame on them: this thing's pump is way way way way way way way way way way way too loud

I'm not performing surgery on this piece of poo poo which will either require pulling the D15 in order to fish a PWM fan wire to the motherboard, nor am I reorganizing everything in my case and getting an AIO for the CPU. What a waste.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Phone posted:

I bought a EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid card that just came in today.

Shame on me: didn't know that AIO radiators needed to be mounted above the pump which meant that the only usable spot was reversing the fan into pull mode and mounting it in front of the case (ahead of a CPU air cooler)

Shame on them: this thing's pump is way way way way way way way way way way way too loud

I'm not performing surgery on this piece of poo poo which will either require pulling the D15 in order to fish a PWM fan wire to the motherboard, nor am I reorganizing everything in my case and getting an AIO for the CPU. What a waste.

I have the hybrid kit on my 2080ti, assuming it's the same pump, it's 100% quiet and I don't hear it at all. I suggest RMA after looking up online to make sure that everyone else is saying it's quiet too.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Everyone online is saying that it's noisy as poo poo and you can solve it by popping the pump cable off of the video card (by disassembling it, since it's buried in there a bit) and converting it from a 4 pin GPU connector to a 4 pin PWM fan connector and running it off of a fan header on the motherboard.

I'm not too keen on pulling off the CPU heatsink right now, so the 2080S Hybrid is going back and a 2080S twin slot/dual fan has been ordered.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Phone posted:

Is it buzzing?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It sounds like a refrigerator compressor buzzing, yeah.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Phone posted:

It sounds like a refrigerator compressor buzzing, yeah.

My Corsair H55 AIO I got for my GPU had super annoying buzz as well. Turned out it was normal. People just have poor hearing, noisy rooms or sound proofed cases. I got Meshify C inside a very quiet room and my hearing is alright...
Thankfully I still got my money back after sending it back twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Phone posted:

Everyone online is saying that it's noisy as poo poo and you can solve it by popping the pump cable off of the video card (by disassembling it, since it's buried in there a bit) and converting it from a 4 pin GPU connector to a 4 pin PWM fan connector and running it off of a fan header on the motherboard.

I'm not too keen on pulling off the CPU heatsink right now, so the 2080S Hybrid is going back and a 2080S twin slot/dual fan has been ordered.

The 2.75 (3) slot EVGA 2 fan is drat quiet.