Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Be nice if Nvidia would use more intelligible naming about their GPUs to give us an idea of performance rather than taking a page out of Kingdom Hearts titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

30 Fast, 30 Faster, 30 Fastest

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
So the tl,dr is to expect an RTX 3070 that has the approximate performance of a RTX 2080 Super for $400ish?

e: usual wild speculation disclaimers apply obv

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 7, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

sean10mm posted:

So the tl,dr is to expect an RTX 3070 that has the approximate performance of a RTX 2080 Super for $400ish?

Performance-wise, probably. Price-wise, no. The 1070 launched at $450. The 2070 launched at $500-$600. The 2070 Super is still >$500. There's no reason to think the 3070 is gonna be less than $500 other than wishful thinking.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

DrDork posted:

Performance-wise, probably. Price-wise, no. The 1070 launched at $450. The 2070 launched at $500-$600. The 2070 Super is still >$500. There's no reason to think the 3070 is gonna be less than $500 other than wishful thinking.

I was just going off of this claim:

quote:

What could happen is that the RTX 3070 launches first at around $400 US with performance on par with the RTX 2080 SUPER but a better variant in the form of the RTX 3070 Ti arrives later on as a refresh with a pricing of around $500 US and performance surpassing even the RTX 2080 SUPER.

:speculate:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Except for the end of the preceding paragraph:

quote:

...but this kind of segmentation this early in the launch is very unlikely of NVIDIA.

No way the 3070 launches below $500, based on simple price history and complete lack of meaningful competition from AMD right now, combined with being on new nodes that mean worse price efficiency. What very well could happen, though, is that the 3070 launches at ~$500, and 6 months later we get a 3070(Ti|Super) for $500 while the 3070 vanilla drops to $400-$450.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I don't think Turing pricing is worth reading into too much since they introduced an extra mid-range tier with the 1660/2060 split that most likely won't exist anymore. If there's going to be 3090 cards, then I'd expect a 3070 to be priced closer to 400 bucks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Arzachel posted:

I don't think Turing pricing is worth reading into too much since they introduced an extra mid-range tier with the 1660/2060 split that most likely won't exist anymore. If there's going to be 3090 cards, then I'd expect a 3070 to be priced closer to 400 bucks.

I made a joke before but I think the rumors are no 3090 and a 3080ti at or around launch.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
waiting for nvidia to release increments down to the tens and ones so I can have a 3069 Super

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

DrDork posted:

No way the 3070 launches below $500, based on simple price history and complete lack of meaningful competition from AMD right now, combined with being on new nodes that mean worse price efficiency. What very well could happen, though, is that the 3070 launches at ~$500, and 6 months later we get a 3070(Ti|Super) for $500 while the 3070 vanilla drops to $400-$450.

I didn't read the article because it's wccftech but the price efficiency could be a lot better for the 3000 series simply because the node shrink will let nVidia add transistors without needing to stray so close to the reticle limit. The giant chips used in the 2000 series was one of the reasons the prices was so high, so it's something they'll probably want to avoid (Titans aside).

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Whats the difference between GDDR6 and GDDR6X?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Voxx posted:

waiting for nvidia to release increments down to the tens and ones so I can have a 3069 Super

they already had the rtx 2077

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

pik_d posted:

GDDR6 exists

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

pik_d posted:

GDDR6 exists and GDDR6X doesnt, thats the big difference right now

e: gently caress HOW??

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Malcolm XML posted:

they already had the rtx 2077

lol I forgot about that

imagine buying overpriced and about to be replaced parts for theoretical graphics options for a game not even out

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Voxx posted:

lol I forgot about that

imagine buying overpriced and about to be replaced parts for theoretical graphics options for a game not even out

the probably had it in the works prior to the delays

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Cygni posted:

GDDR6 exists and GDDR6X doesnt, thats the big difference right now

e: gently caress HOW??
Glad I wasn't the only one who thought it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

I didn't read the article because it's wccftech but the price efficiency could be a lot better for the 3000 series simply because the node shrink will let nVidia add transistors without needing to stray so close to the reticle limit. The giant chips used in the 2000 series was one of the reasons the prices was so high, so it's something they'll probably want to avoid (Titans aside).

I could see some AIB's launching below $500, maybe towards the $450 region. But even the 1070 was $380 (AIB) / $450 (FE) at launch, and in practice was unavailable for some time for less than ~$425, and that was in 2016. Based off inflation alone that would make it a street price of $450-$480, and that's not accounting at all for NVidia slowly creeping prices up because they've been in a solid spot to do so. In terms of node, by all accounts TSMC's 7nm node isn't exactly cheap, so I'm not sure we'll be seeing any cost savings based on that until the inevitable mid-gen refreshes. If they're actually using Samsung's 8nm, though, you might be right and they may be able to keep costs down on that front.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It'll be interesting to see if the 2-series are worth considering at all in lieu of the 3-series once you factor in price/performance.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

shrike82 posted:

It'll be interesting to see if the 2-series are worth considering at all in lieu of the 3-series once you factor in price/performance.

Usually not, the 10-series was kind of a anomaly because the non-super 2000 series didn't really supersede anything in value. However, there are always some firesales, so you might be able to snag a 2080S or a 2070S on sale or with rebate that might have a lot of bang for the buck. But those are usually exceptions.

This is just talking about the x70 and up line. If you want to spend under $500, you'll probably not have any 3000 choices until the 3060 comes out (which will probably be early Spring 21, would be my guess).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Generic Monk posted:

la noire uses a custom engine not RAGE. and is limited to 30fps because that's what the facial animation/textures were captured as (you're basically projecting low res live action video onto a 3d model for all the character faces). 30fps is going to feel better with a controller since the cut in responsiveness is less jarring with a stick
Huh,. I could have sworn I remembered reading somewhere that it was just a lightly modified RAGE, but it seems you're right.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Lockback posted:

This is just talking about the x70 and up line. If you want to spend under $500, you'll probably not have any 3000 choices until the 3060 comes out (which will probably be early Spring 21, would be my guess).

So are we just assuming that the 3080ti is being named the 3080, the 3080 renamed the 3070, etc? Everyone goes up a step? IGP haven't caught up to the point where $400 can be called an entry-level step above integrated graphics, and the 2000 pricing was organized partly because they were supporting GTX and RTX at the same time and needed to not kick their own asses and leave a bunch of unsold cards.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

So are we just assuming that the 3080ti is being named the 3080, the 3080 renamed the 3070, etc?

wccftech is kinda suggesting that with their last leak, in that they're rumoring the xx80/80Ti/90 will all be GA-102 based, where in previous generations the xx80 has been 104 based. Similarly they're suggesting the xx70 will be GA-104 based instead of the usual 106 based. But it's wccftech soooo....yeah. There's also rumors of a GA-103 chip floating about, which might make sense as a xx80 part or a xx70 part, depending on how things go.

I mean, at the end of the day the naming conventions are fluid and don't really mean anything other than where in the stack a given card sits relative to others in that same generation. Slapping "xx70" on a card using xx80 parts won't make any effective difference if they also bump the price up to match, after all, other than likely causing a PR issue by launching only with $600+ cards (assuming they do the usual thing of not dropping the xx60 part on day 1, which seems likely given we've gotten minimal rumors of what the xx60 will be like--and pretty much zero rumors if you believe that the xx70 is a GA-104 part, since that'd mean the xx60 is a GA-106 part).

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have one of the Xbone Elite Series 2 controllers and it was so worth it. The thing is a tank, all the buttons and sticks feel really nice, and the paddles kick rear end for some games where you want to hit face buttons while you're aiming. It was expensive, but considering I got 8 years out of my wired 360 controller, I'm good with paying 180 bucks for a piece of hardware that should last a decade.

In my experience, it's not actually built like a tank, it's the same shoddy quality as the regular controller just way heavier. Unless you like an overpriced controller that has way too much weight and breaks quickly, steer clear.

repiv posted:

You'd hope it would last a decade but the first gen Elite controllers were notoriously unreliable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gzj0f9SrBs

Hopefully the second gen holds up better...

I have bad news for you:

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-elite-controller-series-2-buyers-report-widespread-issues

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 8, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

So are we just assuming that the 3080ti is being named the 3080, the 3080 renamed the 3070, etc? Everyone goes up a step? IGP haven't caught up to the point where $400 can be called an entry-level step above integrated graphics, and the 2000 pricing was organized partly because they were supporting GTX and RTX at the same time and needed to not kick their own asses and leave a bunch of unsold cards.

Well, the $400-$500 price range is the 3070 which shouldn't be considered "Entry level step above IG", that would be the x50 with the x60 being the inbetween that and the "enthusiast" line of x70 and above. I'm not holindg my breath on the 3000 series including a price DROP, it's not impossible but usually things don't work in that direction. 3000 pricing matching 2000 seems more likely, with different SKUs below it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'd agree with the general principle of not expecting a price drop, with the exception of the 70ti. Obviously, this assumes that article is absolutely accurate which isn't remotely guaranteed. However, if the lineup is 70/70ti/80/80ti I could see the 70 (really, everything below the 70ti, including the eventual x50/x60 variants) moving slightly downmarket to make the pricing a little more agreeable on the low-end. Basically, if you envision the 3070ti as the actual replacement for the 2070 Super it makes a certain amount of sense.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I'd agree with you if they actually drop the entire stack all at once. I think that's unlikely, though--I think we'll see the xx70Ti and either the xx80Ti or the xx90 released a bit later to give the initial release cards some time to sell without effectively competing with their own products. Especially considering a lot of signs are pointing to yet another inventory constrained release, adding more price-points on day 1 doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you have no real competition.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Fame Douglas posted:

In my experience, it's not actually built like a tank, it's the same shoddy quality as the regular controller just way heavier. Unless you like an overpriced controller that has way too much weight and breaks quickly, steer clear.

I have bad news for you:

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-elite-controller-series-2-buyers-report-widespread-issues

So yours broke then? How so?

Wow reddit found a way to complain about something? One gamer said the rubberized grip makes his hands sweat and itch? Pretty sure he's a just a clammy slob.

Anyway I have one and it's really nice controller and the paddles are less strain on my wrist than clicking the thumb-stick in. If it breaks, buy another from Best Buy and do the ol' switcheroo, this isn't rocket science.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Wow reddit found a way to complain about something? One gamer said the rubberized grip makes his hands sweat and itch? Pretty sure he's a just a clammy slob.

Anyway I have one and it's really nice controller and the paddles are less strain on my wrist than clicking the thumb-stick in. If it breaks, buy another from Best Buy and do the ol' switcheroo, this isn't rocket science.

Plenty of other issues were cited there other than "my hands got sweaty." You know, for a $180 controller, you'd expect that they'd be free from button sticking and stick-drift issues, but apparently not. It's cool that your works well, but that's not really helping those who got busted ones.

Also, "lol just scam BestBuy if you have problems" is a lovely solution, man, and not something that should need to be considered for a controller costing 3x what a normal one costs.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

DrDork posted:

Plenty of other issues were cited there other than "my hands got sweaty." You know, for a $180 controller, you'd expect that they'd be free from button sticking and stick-drift issues, but apparently not. It's cool that your works well, but that's not really helping those who got busted ones.

Also, "lol just scam BestBuy if you have problems" is a lovely solution, man, and not something that should need to be considered for a controller costing 3x what a normal one costs.

Oh yeah, poor best buy... they just send it back to Microsoft who fixes it like they should have done in the first place. Excuse me while I go weep for these two fortune 500 corporations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Lockback posted:

Well, the $400-$500 price range is the 3070 which shouldn't be considered "Entry level step above IG", that would be the x50 with the x60 being the inbetween that and the "enthusiast" line of x70 and above. I'm not holindg my breath on the 3000 series including a price DROP, it's not impossible but usually things don't work in that direction. 3000 pricing matching 2000 seems more likely, with different SKUs below it.

The whole financial point of these halo products which Nvidia has to themselves is to be ratcheted up in price so that that they help justify better prices on the low end. Some people don’t care about $/FPS charts and will buy it anyway, making lower tiers more available to all.

The price jump from 1660 to 2060 was not insubstantial. They might not launch the product right away but they’re not going to tell the $275 crowd to pound sand. With the 1060 they even had a $150 model for people who thought $250 was too much, but given that state of the industry now I’m not going to pretend that far.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I *suspect* (though don't know) but I think Nvidia may start differing RTX and non-RTX models over time, though they don't have much reason to supplant the 1600 line right now.

There will definitely be stuff for the $150-$300 crowd, but there isn't any reason to release that now (they never release that line right away). They want to give retailers a chance to unload stock if needed, so you'll see some sales and rebates and whatnot.

I also don't think they will release 5 SKUs at launch. We'll see probably 3, but I'd wager the 3070 will be no lower than $450, probably more like $500.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

One gamer said the rubberized grip makes his hands sweat and itch? Pretty sure he's a just a clammy slob.

Rubber allergy is actually real and loving sucks. I have type IV hypersensitivity to rubber activators often found in the 'hypoallergenic' nitrile rubbers and an antioxidant used in some dark/black rubbers.
If I wear gloves containing either I immediately feel the back of my hands get itchy and they start getting sweaty. Then three days later they're all hosed up with dry cracked skin that takes two weeks to recover if I put cream on them regularly, or a month if I don't.

That guy might have undiagnosed allergies and is now blaming the first thing that really triggers them. But you can't really blame Microsoft for putting an otherwise very useful compound in their product.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Mining is starting to pick back up again and 30-series may launch into generally elevated prices regardless of what consumers think about it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Mining is starting to pick back up again and 30-series may launch into generally elevated prices regardless of what consumers think about it.

Out of morbid curiosity what are people mining with GPUs now? The last time I looked it was that "scrypt" algorithm that mined Dogecoins or whatever, but I thought they came out with ASICs for that which obsoleted GPU mining. Is there some now algorithm that is "asic resistant" yet again? Or maybe supply chains are too hosed up right now to support asic manufacturing? I dunno, I'm out of the loop.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there anything new in CUDA 11.0 worth being excited about wrt video and gaming?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zero VGS posted:

Out of morbid curiosity what are people mining with GPUs now? The last time I looked it was that "scrypt" algorithm that mined Dogecoins or whatever, but I thought they came out with ASICs for that which obsoleted GPU mining. Is there some now algorithm that is "asic resistant" yet again? Or maybe supply chains are too hosed up right now to support asic manufacturing? I dunno, I'm out of the loop.

Not really sure but HardwareTimes mentions that it is, and that NVIDIA is gearing up production again in expectation.

Looking at WhatToMine, a 5700 is doing about $0.39 per day with expensive electricity (I figure $0.20/kWh all up including various delivery charges/etc), and that's on Ethereum. The other coins don't appear to be particularly profitable, mostly seeing $0.15-0.25 per card per day for both AMD and NVIDIA cards.

Not sure if there's some particular event or milestone for ethereum, or if it's just a general uptrend in price. Or if it's a bitcoin halving or something and that's affecting Ethereum (most cryptos are tied to bitcoin's value).

Of course I don't think anyone is buying up 747s full of GPUs for a 1000 day payback period, and crypto is volatile as gently caress so attempting to predict a continued uptrend is difficult. It could lose half its value tomorrow. Or the writer could just be smoking crack in the first place.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 8, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Paul MaudDib posted:

The 3000s might not offer much benefit compared to existing stock. Might be smart to pick up a 2060 KO if you're on the budget end of things, though. There's a small chance a desperate coiner will pay you 2080 prices for it.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 8, 2020

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Did the 2070S really launch at $499 and the 2080 at $699? That's what NVidia's pages show as list. That's a pretty huge difference even looking back. I'd like parts that have the price/performance ratio of the former not the latter. I suspect that ratio is closer to what the 9- and 10-series had in the same price/performance brackets.

Big difference from the 20-series launch is that I'm comfortable adding the RT silicon to the performance total for the 30-series cards, whereas I wasn't when the 20-series released - that hardware was only usable in a few limited games back then. DLSS is a feature I'd like to see succeed, so I'll be an optimist there too if I have to.

Basically, 2070S pricing seems reasonable to me and if the 3080 part hits a similar price/perf point, I'll happily pick up a 3080 Ti/3090 whatever. I just hope that ratio isn't unavailable for a year after initial release like it was for the 20-series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

v1ld posted:

Did the 2070S really launch at $499 and the 2080 at $699? That's what NVidia's pages show as list. That's a pretty huge difference even looking back. I'd like parts that have the price/performance ratio of the former not the latter. I suspect that ratio is closer to what the 9- and 10-series had in the same price/performance brackets.

Yup, and those were baseline prices--plenty of "overclocked" models cost more than that. The original 2070 also launched at $500. The gulf between the two was part of the complaint against the 20-series being a "bad value," particularly at the high end.

Comparatively, the 1080's launch MSRP was $500 and the 1070 $380-$400, so the 20-series about doubled the price gap. Who knows if the 30-series will retain the $200 gap, or try to shrink it, or just retain the gap and shove a 3070Ti in there at $600 or something. However it works out, though, you'll never get the same price:perf ratio as you climb the stack: it gets worse the higher you go, and always has.