Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Statutory Ape posted:

i feel bad because most of the, i guess, victims of this, are older people i've talked to that aside from wanting a nice picture thought they were going to get something they could actually use for a long time.

those UI's and the hardware that drive them are a lovely n horrible achilles heel.

it was sad to see people give feedback that their tv basically stopped doing the basic things they wanted

Yeah, it's a complete scam. With most devices I feel taking a "jack of all trades, master of none" view is best, and rather than trying to have one thing that does a lot of things poorly it's better to have several things that do one thing well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Statutory Ape posted:

it was sad to see people give feedback that their tv basically stopped doing the basic things they wanted

I have a Samsung bluray player/surround sound system. It never got updates to support modern* bluray DRM poo poo. Within a year and a half of its release, its primary function was obsolete. Now it's lingering around for the surround sound function while a slightly less obsolete LG bluray player sits on top of it.

*8~9 years ago.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Ladies and gentlegoons of the jury, I rest my case.

Oh, and lest I forget, WHO THE gently caress SHIPS A DEVICE WITH ONLY WIFI-N IN 2020?!

Bring on the loving gigantic OLED monitors. What's worse is that even Vizio, a brand that basically made their name on dumb TVs that they couldn't call TVs because they didn't have tuners in them and had to call them "displays" instead, doesn't have a single dumb model.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 29, 2020

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Ladies and gentlegoons of the jury, I rest my case.

Bring on the loving gigantic OLED monitors. What's worse is that even Vizio, and brand that basically made their name on dumb TVs that they couldn't call TVs because they didn't have tuners in them and had to call them "displays" instead, doesn't have a single dumb model.

It's literally cheaper to make a smart TV than a dumb TV. The parts to run the "smart" system aren't any more expensive than their "dumb" equivalents. The TV manufacturer can sell ad space on the smart version.

It'd be nice if you could pay a bit of extra money for a no-ads version, but that's not what the market wants, I guess.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Do people "jailbreak" tvs?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
As I said before, it's not about cost.

It's about ongoing revenue streams from datamining you. Yes, I have a pihole. Yes, I VPN all my traffic anyways. No, I don't want to have to do Android updates to my TV.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

im the power outage that bricks your tv during a firmware update

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Space Gopher posted:

It'd be nice if you could pay a bit of extra money for a no-ads version, but that's not what the market wants, I guess.
commercial displays are an option, but they're generally more than "a bit" of extra money

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Just don't ever connect your Smart TV to the internet. Boom, dumb TV. And none of the smart TV features native, but a. if you're reading this you have plenty of ways to access those things, and b. after reading this thread I'm pretty sure its not worth it anyways.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

There was a time that TVs were jumping on any nearby open wifi if you didn’t put them on a network explicitly, so even “just don’t connect wifi” isn’t or wasn’t always sufficient to avoid the attack surface.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Some Goon posted:

Just don't ever connect your Smart TV to the internet. Boom, dumb TV. And none of the smart TV features native, but a. if you're reading this you have plenty of ways to access those things, and b. after reading this thread I'm pretty sure its not worth it anyways.

I've heard that some TVs do not even work at all (as in the initial setup) until you connect them to the internet. I have no idea if they do after the initial setup if you disconnect them though (or change the wifi password). I have a dumb TV right now, 10-ish years old, still working and no plan to ever change it. I will have to, at some point of course, but I wouldn't mind for that to be 50 years from now. My grandparents replaced the TV that they bought in 1950 in 1995. And the only reason they did so was because the local electrician couldn't find lamps anymore for it. I'd take that 1950 TV in a heartbeat over a new smart one. It took 30 minutes for the lamps to warm up enough for picture to come up, but it would be still definitely worth it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I want a 4K HDR TV to replace our ~8 year old, but man, I hate all this smart TV poo poo and might just wait until it dies and don't have a choice.
e: Came across this guys video, seemed somewhat informative
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntosec0KRXw

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 29, 2020

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Maybe I have been incredibly lucky, but I never had any complaints with my previous Samsung or LG smart TVs when I used the native apps. I always thought the lovely smart TVs were always the no-name brands that offered a big screen for a low price (and a lot of crappy performance)?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

slidebite posted:

I want a 4K HDR TV to replace our ~8 year old, but man, I hate all this smart TV poo poo and might just wait until it dies and don't have a choice.
e: Came across this guys video, seemed somewhat informative
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntosec0KRXw

What a strange hill to die on when you can just not connect it to the internet.

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

I like how RTINGS review 'Smart Features' with one of the criteria being just 'Ad-Free' and the majority just have a 0/10.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I just didn’t hook my TV to the internet, and bought an Apple TV to replace the clients it shipped with. And then never had to have passionate opinions about TV software. (I get to have passionate opinions about remotes instead.)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I want one of these monster displays, but for a very different reason. For years I have railed against every single loving "smart" tvs that are absolute rear end and never provisioned with enough processing power or enough RAM with a GUI that responds like molasses while datamining the crap out of you and shoving advertisements in your face.

Give me one of these displays for my living room, I will hook up my own loving devices to it and be vastly happier.

Just buy a tv and never connect it to your network. I don't like all the smart shite either, but it has helped to drop prices, which is fine with me

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
My neighbors bought a "Smart TV" that wouldn't let you switch sources till it was connected to the wifi.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Taima posted:

I wonder if the text scaling issues depend on your exact scale percentage. I run MacOS for work and have a Win10 pc for gaming, which are both connected to a single thunderbolt/DP4 monitor that I can easily switch back and forth. Due to that I'm always switching between the two environments, making it super easy to compare.

I've been really critical of Win10 scaling, but to be honest, even MacOS scaling tends to kinda suck if you have it set on a weird percentage. I keep a flat 200% scale on my 5k2k monitor, and I think since it's a whole multiple, that leads to the best possible text.

On my Win10 box I run at 150% scale, and honestly, while text is probably not quite as crisp as MacOS at 200%, it's still very nice. In fact I would say that 150% scaling on Win10 makes text look better than 150% scale on MacOS. At least, in my experience.

Anyways if you are using scaling on high DPI and find the text to be rough on Win10, I would be curious on the exact percentages people are using just to see if that's part of the issue?

SC2 was a major reason I sold my 40" 4K screen. A single building was absolutely giant. 100% unplayable. That being said I think that Blizzard is especially poo poo about scaling, iirc. Truth be told I'm very surprised to hear that people find that size preferable, but fair enough. It certainly wasn't in my experience. Like you say, moving your head to see parts of the screen sucks :shrug:

I use 125% scaling for a 27" 4k screen on windows 10 and find it perfectly fine. There used to be a few holdout specific programs that were lovely, but it's been a few years since I can even remember any of those coming up in normal use.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Craptacular! posted:

I just didn’t hook my TV to the internet, and bought an Apple TV to replace the clients it shipped with. And then never had to have passionate opinions about TV software. (I get to have passionate opinions about remotes instead.)

Same.

Also to LG tv owners; you can change your cursor to a ‘bean bird’ that will blush when you press/hold down the enter button or have a face with sweat drop when you scroll through the menu.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Craptacular! posted:

Ever since my girlfriend decided to hook up her Apple TV to the TV in our bedroom because she lost the remote for the TV, I too now have passionate opinions about remotes. And it is this:

gently caress you, Apple, and your lovely loving stupid remote that tries to be super fancy and instead ends up being inferior in pretty much every way to a simple d-pad / arrow buttons.

Also gently caress you, Apple, for making a product that can't put out a reliable CEC "off" signal and results in the TV not turning off half the time, forcing us to turn the Apple TV back on just to turn it off again, sometimes several times, before it finally bothers to tell the TV that it's time to turn off.

I am now scouring eBay for a replacement TV remote, because gently caress that stupid box.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hey man just to make sure, you know that iphones control the Apple TV right? It's actually pretty sweet because anyone in the house on the wifi with an iphone has a remote right in their pocket. We haven't used our apple TV remote in months (and I agree it's poo poo for like 4 different big reasons).

As for CEC, it can be fussy but I think it depends a lot on the specific set because it works fine on our living room TV where it's setup. I can see that being pretty infuriating though... for sure.

Btw it looks like there are Android alternatives for the ATV remote as well though I can't speak to their efficacy or anything.

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 29, 2020

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
It's off topic but how does that remote even work? I went looking at the apple TV but when I saw no dpad on the remote I just got puzzled and closed the browser.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, but only she has an iPhone, and always is the one to fall asleep first, so I'd have to wake her back up to unlock her phone to turn the TV off...and the only reason it's on in the first place is to help her get to sleep, so that's unfortunately not much of an option for us.

So I'm gonna spend $40 to buy a replacement remote and that'll be the end of it.

CFox posted:

It's off topic but how does that remote even work? I went looking at the apple TV but when I saw no dpad on the remote I just got puzzled and closed the browser.

The top (black) portion of it is touch-sensitive. So like a track-pad, more or less. The problem is it's not terribly precise (not sure if it's the hardware itself, or a consequence of one-handed operation), and while almost every UI element is designed for cardinal directions, it likes to pick up stuff as diagonals, resulting in erratic movement. It also does "acceleration" where if you move your finger quickly in a direction, it'll try to scroll faster. Which sounds like a good idea, except in practice it's far too sensitive, so you end up having to move in tiny repeated single movements because anything more than that sends you zooming past whatever you wanted.

It's pretty much one of those ideas that sounds great on paper, but in practice is just frustrating to actually use.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 29, 2020

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

DrDork posted:

Yeah, but only she has an iPhone, and always is the one to fall asleep first, so I'd have to wake her back up to unlock her phone to turn the TV off...and the only reason it's on in the first place is to help her get to sleep, so that's unfortunately not much of an option for us.

So I'm gonna spend $40 to buy a replacement remote and that'll be the end of it.

You could see about the Android apps, but just FYI you absolutely don't need to wake her up. You don't need to unlock an iphone to use it as a remote. Just swipe down from the top right and click the remote button, no unlock required.

CFox posted:

It's a touch pad on the top with a click under it. Kinda cool in concept, and can be nice for quick rewind/FF, but ultimately I recommend just throwing that poo poo in a junk drawer and using your phone.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Taima posted:

You could see about the Android apps, but just FYI you absolutely don't need to wake her up. You don't need to unlock an iphone to use it as a remote. Just swipe down from the top right and click the remote button, no unlock required.

For normal people you're probably right. But she's a security professional so you can't do anything with her phone without unlocking it, and she's absolutely not going to change that to save me $40.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh weird, fair enough I guess. There's nothing you can do to the phone from that screen whatsoever from a security perspective. That's pretty much the whole point of it being available without unlock. I get your conundrum though. Best of luck.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
1st world problems ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

CFox posted:

It’s poo poo and hilarious that Apple’s ~~designed in Cupertino~~ remote gets dunked on by a lovely TCL remote.

I’ve got an iPhone and they’re good enough, but the Apple TV platform is hot trash.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
The USB connector of TV remotes

*picks it up in dark, tries to start using it*

ah, gently caress

*turns it around*

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tehinternet posted:

It’s poo poo and hilarious that Apple’s ~~designed in Cupertino~~ remote gets dunked on by a lovely TCL remote.

I’ve got an iPhone and they’re good enough, but the Apple TV platform is hot trash.

The remote definitely sucks but the interface is good, and the box is fast, and the screen savers are dope :colbert:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Taima posted:

the screen savers are dope :colbert:

I'll give it that. Especially at 4k they're mesmerizing.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Taima posted:

and the screen savers are dope :colbert:

Okay, you got me on that I think I watched them for legit 20 minutes one day

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

nah, I'm just dumb I think

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 29, 2020

The Last Poet
Oct 9, 2001

Taima posted:

The remote definitely sucks but the interface is good, and the box is fast, and the screen savers are dope :colbert:

Theres Windows and MacOS versions of the screensaver available (though the Windows one is a little out of date)

https://github.com/cDima/Aerial/

https://github.com/JohnCoates/Aerial

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I just wish they listed the locations for everything like Microsoft does with the Win10 lockscreen stuff. Some of those places look amazing and I want to know where they are!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The Last Poet posted:

Theres Windows and MacOS versions of the screensaver available (though the Windows one is a little out of date)

https://github.com/cDima/Aerial/

https://github.com/JohnCoates/Aerial

Oh you bet your rear end I use those as well :) it’s kind of amazing that it exists for windows.

DrDork posted:

I just wish they listed the locations for everything like Microsoft does with the Win10 lockscreen stuff. Some of those places look amazing and I want to know where they are!

Don’t they? I might be misremembering. But they definitely list the location for most. You need to click a button when the given screen saver is displaying, but i forget which.

It’s not like MS (we have a lenovo smart display in the kitchen, best ever) where it shows with no input.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
I’m in the market for a gaming laptop, looking around the $1,000-1,300 USD price point. I’m weighing some laptops on the lower end of that price point that have a GeForce GTX 1660ti, against a few on the higher end that have RTX 2060. Assuming everything else is equal, is the 2060 worth an extra $300? I’ve heard mixed reviews.

$1,000 option
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1542059-REG/msi_gf65_thin_9sd_252_gf65_i7_9750h.html

vs. $1,300 option
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1543440-REG/lenovo_81y60004us_15_6_legion_5_gaming.html

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SamEyeAm posted:

I’m in the market for a gaming laptop, looking around the $1,000-1,300 USD price point. I’m weighing some laptops on the lower end of that price point that have a GeForce GTX 1660ti, against a few on the higher end that have RTX 2060. Assuming everything else is equal, is the 2060 worth an extra $300? I’ve heard mixed reviews.

$1,000 option
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1542059-REG/msi_gf65_thin_9sd_252_gf65_i7_9750h.html

vs. $1,300 option
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1543440-REG/lenovo_81y60004us_15_6_legion_5_gaming.html

If you have access to an .edu email: https://techbargains.com/deals/asus-tuf-gaming-laptop

If you don't, it's +$100, I think.

Six months ago I'd have argued DLSS :catdrugs: weren't worth it. Now, though? Yes, yes they are.

At the high end of your budget, here's an MSI with a 2070, 10750H (6c12t), 16GB RAM, and 512GB NVMe drive: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Leopard-10SFK-062-i7-10750H-RTX2070/dp/B085B3GFRL

I'm kinda anti-Lenovo because of potential :china: spyware, either software or hardware-based.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I can tell you with certainty those Lenovo hinges have a very finite life to them.