Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Taima posted:

Stupid PS5 non-digital sold out while I was checking out good times

They'll be up on other retailers tomorrow. I wouldn't worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolshi
Feb 14, 2012

UK folks: looks like Ebuyer hosed up and put some models up at midnight, get em while they're hot I guess.

Edit: My buddy got a stock problem email? May want to hold off.

Yolshi fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 17, 2020

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Holy poo poo they made it (reasonably) easy to take apart. Nobody expected that lol

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Yolshi posted:

UK folks: looks like Ebuyer hosed up and put some models up at midnight, get em while they're hot I guess.

Edit: My buddy got a stock problem email? May want to hold off.

Yeah can't add anything to basket right now, says out of stock

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

AirRaid posted:

OCUK posters complaining of cancelled orders. Ebuyer dun hosed up.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKK

This was the card in my very first build, well the V6600 Deluxe with 3D shutter glasses. I think I tried it once in CS and it wasn’t very good.

I should’ve gotten the DDR version which I think was the V6800 but the SDR version was already very expensive (for the year 2000).

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Microcenter posted:

A.) We are expecting a very limited quantity of RTX 3080 cards for the launch on Thursday 17th. We anticipate quantities of less than 20 per store. We are working hard to get these cards in as quickly as possible, and are going above and beyond our normal shipping processes.

Well poo poo. Microcenter may not be the way to go for this.

I guess I'll still show up early in the morning but if there's more than 10 people there I'll say gently caress it and try to order online.

Shame too as I was planning on getting a new monitor + RAM there too and now I definitely won't be getting that if I order online.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

:rip:

this seems like an unusually supply constrained launch
wonder what's the cause

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

El_Molestadore posted:

Sweclockers did notice a difference in CPU temps. Closed case with a Noctua aircooler on the cpu.

This is a bit unfair considering the 2080Ti has a lower TDP at stock. The German reviews posted earlier had it running against an OC'd 2080Ti that supposedly was around the same TDP as the 3080 and the results were toe to toe similar and should be a bit more representative.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

shrike82 posted:

wonder what's the cause

Jensen has learned from Nintendo the way to go is to make your product almost impossible to acquire so as to drive people into a frenzy.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrike82 posted:

wonder what's the cause

Can we blame things on Trump's trade war in this thread, or do we need to take that to C-SPAM?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

shrike82 posted:

wonder what's the cause
I think it’s been widely reported that Samsung’s process has poo poo yields.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Dammit I'm actually pretty pumped to build my first computer in quite a while and replace my GTX 980 but it seems like I'll probably have no luck until the new year.

Yolshi
Feb 14, 2012

AirRaid posted:

I got an order in, but I've got the 'stock unavailable' thing too - according to their help (on the website, not live chat or anything) that means it's not cancelled and if they get stock it'll automatically go through.

I'd say "guess I'll keep it as a backup" but it doesnt look like I have a choice, the cancel order button is greyed out :v:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Let’s be real: the reason for all this “it’s not higher enough than the 2080ti” and “Nvidia only said double the 2080 you knobs not the 2080ti” is because we’re mentally writing “3070” in place of 2080ti and wondering if it’s worth the bother.

For me, I can say no. I’d need to buy a whole new case to fit one.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
jfc people are already lining up for this.

quote:

I got to Cambridge about 7:15 pm and I'm #5, and 4 more just showed up behind me.

I think I'm giving up on Microcenter and instead trying to f5 Bestbuy/Newegg.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Let’s be real: the reason for all this “it’s not higher enough than the 2080ti” and “Nvidia only said double the 2080 you knobs not the 2080ti” is because we’re mentally writing “3070” in place of 2080ti and wondering if it’s worth the bother.

For me, I can say no. I’d need to buy a whole new case to fit one.

You're missing an excuse to get a new case, is how I see that.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

axeil posted:

Why the gently caress does that dude have a Blockbuster case in his hand? If the other guy didn't have a mask on I'd call that a fake.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
It seems EVGA is almost universally considered the best as far as customer service goes; how's Nvidia to deal with directly, were one to manage to get an FE from them?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol a Gigabyte 3080 card went up on newegg and was sold out in <5 minutes

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'll tell you goons what I'm not going to buy. The ASUS STRIX 3080 which is $150 more at $849.

I'm sure I'll sell out instantly as well though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Quoting myself from many pages ago to say: My questions above are directly addressed by this excellent tomshardware article in which they benchmark the 3080 with a wide range of CPUs, including an old Haswell i7 from 2013.

If you're wondering about the 3080 and CPU bottlenecks, read the article.

The most dramatic finding is that the 2013 Haswell gets only ~5 FPS fewer than an i9-10900K at 4k Ultra :eyepop:
That's great. So the conclusion is that I should get a 4k OLED and keep my 3470 Optiplex monster.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I can smell this image.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

axeil posted:

I know covid risk is lower outdoors, but how much does it go up when you're sitting next to people for 12 hours

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

sucks that it's socially acceptable for people to go maskless outdoors

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://techgage.com/article/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-rendering-performance/

nvidia weren't kidding about the pure RT performance, the 3080 leaves turing in the dust

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Josh Lyman posted:

I should’ve gotten the DDR version which I think was the V6800 but the SDR version was already very expensive (for the year 2000).
Had this one:

And it had the longest useful lifespan of almost any gaming card I’ve had. It was replaced with a GeForce4. Though if I had the money for my 1070 at launch instead of riding the Bitcoin wave, it would have beat it.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Just SMDH at you whippersnappers who didn’t cut your teeth on 3dfx cards.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Cirrus Logic and S3 you babies

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

DrDork posted:

You're missing an excuse to get a new case, is how I see that.
My budget is either 3070 + case, or 3080 and dremel tooling the hard drive cages out and since the SSD can sit in the case floor anyway.

Oh, forgot to mention I’m homeless in two weeks. Any and all theorizing about this exists only in a bubble where I can find an apartment.

Dangerllama posted:

Oh, I had a Monster 3D Voodoo and a TNT2 before that.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Dangerllama posted:

Farthest I go back is a voodoo 2.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

spunkshui posted:

God I’m happy we don’t have to mess around with SLI to get a high-resolution display to run well.

i remember when my dual 6950s started acting up (read: wouldn't overclock to high heaven anymore and started dropping frames), i was looking for a replacement and eyeing 970 SLI, since there still was no single card to run a 2560x1600 screen. a 980 fell just short of my requirements on a few games

and then nvidia, the loving madmen, just released a 980Ti, at the same price and performance points as 970SLI lmao. i don't think i've ever made a purchase decision so quickly

Taima posted:

Hoooly balls Amazon FR not only just confirmed everyones preorders but they're also pre-shipping it for arrival on Thursday.

this is what best in the world class healthcare gets you. just excellent mental health management all around

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Craptacular! posted:

Had this one:

And it had the longest useful lifespan of almost any gaming card I’ve had. It was replaced with a GeForce4. Though if I had the money for my 1070 at launch instead of riding the Bitcoin wave, it would have beat it.

WTF? Creative used to make video cards???

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Had this one:

It's Y2K ready! :monocle:

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

DrDork posted:

Why the gently caress does that dude have a Blockbuster case in his hand? If the other guy didn't have a mask on I'd call that a fake.

Pretty sure that's a phone case

Has people camping out for GPUs ever been a thing before? I've only really been into PC building since the GTX 7xx series, I never figured I'd see people camp out for computer parts

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Kraftwerk posted:

WTF? Creative used to make video cards???

Creative made “Graphics Blaster” graphics cards back in the day when even getting Win95 desktop to appear needed an add-in card. 3D accelerators like 3Dfx Voodoo came around and were sold under the branding “3D Blaster”.

Nvidia’s big thing that made them emerge as a major player was merging together the basic desktop card and the 3D accelerator that took over in certain games together into one card with drivers that weren’t abhorrently bad (hello, ATI.)

Onboard sound, onboard video, onboard networking, onboard storage controllers, children take these things for granted. We used to have motherboards with 8 slots for this reason.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

chaleski posted:

Pretty sure that's a phone case

Has people camping out for GPUs ever been a thing before? I've only really been into PC building since the GTX 7xx series, I never figured I'd see people camp out for computer parts

For RTX 20 and during the Pascal bitcoin gold rush, yes.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Of course, I shoulda figured. Camping out for a 20 series seems hilarious in hindsight

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Pentium 2 era motherboards with ISA, PCI and AGP slots. Maybe on board USB and sound if you spend the big bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

akadajet posted:

I can smell this image.

At least it's not mid-July.