Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there are also a bunch of scalpers posting cards for $1500 ish in the chat (or trolls pretending to be such) lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, based on the timestamps on the discord updater bot it looks like the cards stayed in stock this time for 2-4 minutes, and that was enough that relatively a ton of people seem to have gotten them. So until now they genuinely have probably been getting botted/selling out in literal seconds rofl

yeah for the people saying NVIDIA was making all this up, I think this was a bit of a reality check on how bad the botting situation actually is, it went from “sold out in literally five seconds” to 4 minutes.

Stock is certainly short but it’s not anywhere near as bad as people are panicking about, it’s just bots grabbing it all instantly.

EVGA’s site continues to be a loving disgrace though.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 24, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Looking at the cards it seems like they mostly have the same kind of clock speeds and some are like 5 decibels cooler than other ones. That basically doesn't matter to me. Is there some kind of problem with the FE or is it fine? I have about 320mm of space in my case and the founders is 280.t If there's no glaring problem with the founder's I'll get that if I can, since it's like $100 cheaper than other options and still a decent price.

Does Nvidia stop selling founders after a certain amount of time? Like a month after release?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Rabid Snake posted:

I remember the pascal launch being crazy, but I waited 4 weeks after the GTX 1070 launched and snagged a GTX 1070 easily. I remember the 1080 being similar. Is it really worth that much effort to get it a month early? And get an AIB cooler that you did not want?

Personally I'm not sold that the AIBs are that different. The 3080s don't really OC well, and there are already tons of reports of instability when the cards are pushed (and frankly the gains people are getting at those pushed boost clocks are not that good). This might be one of those rare launches where the AIB doesn't actually matter that much.

As far as we can tell so far, the card is basically already pushed right up against its natural limits. In fact, the evidence we have is that cards can be undervolted and drop nearly 100 watts with only 1-3 FPS drop. So... yeah. The entire concept of an OC'ed card is kind of relative this time around. They're basically all VERY overclocked straight out of the box and the differnces are a matter of a handful of frames.

redreader posted:

Looking at the cards it seems like they mostly have the same kind of clock speeds and some are like 5 decibels cooler than other ones. That basically doesn't matter to me. Is there some kind of problem with the FE or is it fine? I have about 320mm of space in my case and the founders is 280.t If there's no glaring problem with the founder's I'll get that if I can, since it's like $100 cheaper than other options and still a decent price.

Does Nvidia stop selling founders after a certain amount of time? Like a month after release?

The FE is fine! A good card for sure. We don't know when they'll stop selling it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

redreader posted:

all the cards will be fine. if you aren't a spergtastic overclocker just ignore all the handwringing about which one has the best cooler or the superior vapor chamber or graphene baseplate. a few degrees here and there will not materially impact the card's life over any reasonable timescale.

a few extra decibels of noise may be something that concerns you, but all of the cards are pretty quiet it looks like so again unless you have some specific sperg itch to make your computer completely silent it doesn't really matter.

i am literally making my decision based on the look of the card, and i think the evga, nvidia and asus cards look best so that's what i'm gonna wait for

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

secret volcano lair posted:

I checked out as guest

Go to the Quick Order Lookup here: https://store.nvidia.com/store/nvidia/en_US/help/ThemeID.326200

Use the option on the right: the email you provided and last 4 digits of your CC
Thanks.

Unbeknownst to me the UK order tracking page is different to the US one. UK one asks for email and a password that is unknown to me (guest checkout), whereas US one asks for email + last 4 digits.

Was able to check my order on the US site though, and it’s sat on “Pending”. Payment has been taken though, no issues with auto declines or anything.

Somehow I knew this ordeal wasn’t over yet...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fuckin lol I picked the wrong time to go play Xbox haha

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hey if even like 50% of the people who claimed to get this card actually get it, this is going to pressure scalpers to sell and it's going to make a lot of the most hardcore card-seekers stop looking. It's a win for everyone.

It also speaks to knock-on effects in the supply chain because if Nvidia really had that many 3080 FEs, maybe supply going forward is better than expected.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Was this a long-anticipated nvidia restock, or was it just Wednesday, as it were? I wasn't going to get one but I just checked my psu (antec 620 from 2013, seems like it was only good for 5 years but it's still fine) and measured my case. I thought I couldn't get one and now it seems I can, I have what's needed. Now I'm really on the hype train.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Gonna wait till the 3070 comes bundled with cyberpunk 2077 just like when I bought the 970 bundled with witcher 3.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Taima posted:

Hey if even like 50% of the people who claimed to get this card actually get it, this is going to pressure scalpers to sell and it's going to make a lot of the most hardcore card-seekers stop looking. It's a win for everyone.

It also speaks to knock-on effects in the supply chain because if Nvidia really had that many 3080 FEs, maybe supply going forward is better than expected.

I subscribe to Paul MaudDib's theory that since the bots got stymied this round last minute that humans got their orders in legit because it took minutes instead of seconds.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
fyi, but also Newegg Canada's social media person doesn't know how to create a thread

https://twitter.com/NeweggCan/status/1309009754036088833?s=20

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I subscribe to Paul MaudDib's theory that since the bots got stymied this round last minute that humans got their orders in legit because it took minutes instead of seconds.

Hey I can believe it. The one thing that makes me wonder though is, there haven't been THAT many scalped cards. Like sure there's been a decent number, but if bots really were taking down entire shipments... you would think there might be more?

Not saying that means anything in particular, just something I've noticed.

See yall in the morning gents.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sorry if this was already posted, but I signed up for the EVGA Elite thing (basically website membership afaik) when I registered my 1080. They sent me this email:

quote:

Dear EVGA ELITE Member,

Tomorrow (9/24, 6AM PT) the EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 SKU’s will be introduced, if you are interested in the EVGA GeForce RTX 3090, please visit

https://www.evga.com/member/elite/ at time of introduction.
Thank you for being an EVGA ELITE Member!

-EVGA

I'm not buying a 3090 but I wonder if they'll have some stock reserved or if it's just more promotion.

Lifetime77
May 20, 2007

Hello Bastards.
Well it only took a global leader in AI five days to outsmart script kiddies with sneaker bots. Things are looking up.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

I cant wait to see how much of a shitshow the 3070 and Big Navi launches are

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I can’t wait for 2020’s biggest preorder shitshow on November 3: the ultimate preorder is to mail in your vote

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Lifetime77 posted:

Well it only took a global leader in AI five days to outsmart script kiddies with sneaker bots. Things are looking up.

I expect that the script kiddies will outsmart the AI company again in five hours, but I'm willing to be surprised

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Nvidia.com seems to be rate-limiting on f5's now, OR a lot of people have started f5'ing the site.

Lifetime77
May 20, 2007

Hello Bastards.
Why do you guys think stock will be like in November when I actually plan on doing my build?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

better

redreader posted:

Nvidia.com seems to be rate-limiting on f5's now, OR a lot of people have started f5'ing the site.

they changed the font size on one of the buttons and everyone's alarms went nuts. no new cards

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 24, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Lifetime77 posted:

Why do you guys think stock will be like in November when I actually plan on doing my build?

Probably better than it is now. They were committing to say that stock will improve as they enter into the new year.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Lifetime77 posted:

Well there's Golden Week starting in October so that will prob impact early (?) November supply a bit. Its kind of hard to say. It seems to be right now, if you're... for lack of better word, neurotic and dedicated, you can get one now. A lot of us have snagged EVGA, or Zotac, or FE cards the past couple of days. I do think it will probably be some time before you can just "Add to Cart" anytime you want. I wouldn't say stress over it, but if you can subscribe to that Discord or use a Page Monitor and just so happens to come up at a time that you see the alert at the right time, and it's a card/version you want, then go ahead and grab one, and if not oh well. They won't be any different if you can just set one in your closet now or in November.

Next year would be a little bit better bet as an "Add to Cart" anytime thing.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Adding stock to the UK store at 5.30am - while other European stores were updated at 11.30pm - is bordering on trolling. F5ing 18 hours a day? Not good enough!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

redreader posted:

I dont think Nvidia will stop selling the Founders soon. I don't think they have in the past, or at least not that soon. FE is fine and it is definitely a very nice looking card, although for me it's stuck in a little black box under my desk so aesthetics have almost zero utility since I'm not like looking into my case at all except to occasionally blow it out with an air pump.

It's definitely a good price. I don't think the STRIX premium is worth it at all, nor is it worth it to pay extra for the Factor OC versions. As mentioned there isn't a whole lot of OC potential, although the live test that GamerNexus did apparently had the EVGA cards come out on top if you wanted to do so, but not enough that I think anyone here would notice. Oh no I get 97 FPS vs 99 FPS in Cyberspunk 2077 MY LIFE IS OVER!

That said FE does run noticeably hotter than the TUF, by like, quite a lot actually and a very tiny sliver noiser (although remember decibels are a log scale). But none of them are anything I think would be very loud enough that inside a case you would notice a difference. Like TUF seems like The Best Option if it's in stock, but it's pretty unavailable and you seem more likely to get an FE so just get an FE. None of the temps are bad at all, although generally cooler is better just on a durability perspective over a very long time-frame but probably not enough to matter either. I've said before my non-scientific ranking seems to be ASUS > EVGA > FE = Everything else.

I would probably not get a PNY or PALIT or ZOTAC though unless I was turbo desperate but I'm sure they're good too, just I'd prefer an FE over them.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 24, 2020

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I think the main reason the EVGA came out on top in the GN OC tests was because it was the only one with 3 power connectors, not any kind of "OMG EVGA SO AWESOME" factor.

The Benchmarks I've seen that compared different AIBs against each other had them all pretty much around the same. The TUF seems to have slightly better cooling than the ones tested against it but it's not an whole tier above or anything.

For reference my Gigabyte card absolutely tops out at 67C on the default fan profile, and I basically never hear the card. The lowest temps I saw for the TUF were 70C (and the GB gaming tested at ~72 in the one direct comparison i've seen)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Durzel posted:

Guys Add to Cart is available again, on UK at least.

gently caress gently caress at FIVE AM???

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AirRaid posted:

I think the main reason the EVGA came out on top in the GN OC tests was because it was the only one with 3 power connectors, not any kind of "OMG EVGA SO AWESOME" factor.

The Benchmarks I've seen that compared different AIBs against each other had them all pretty much around the same. The TUF seems to have slightly better cooling than the ones tested against it but it's not an whole tier above or anything.

Of course not they're all going to be about the same plus or minus a couple FPS at most. It's mostly that EVGA has very very good support and has a very good track record that I'd prefer dealing with them over DigitalRiver (lol gently caress digitalriver) to handle problems and RMAs, and will prob be just a hairline sliver better for about the same price.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
good news!

https://twitter.com/EVGA_JacobF/status/1309007469537099778

bad news:

one more thing to crash when you try to use EVGAs site to check out lol

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

AirRaid posted:

Yeah I’m not desperate to get the strix because I think I’m going to blow anyones stock 3080 out of the water.

I just really like overclocking.

There’s something deeply satisfying about knowing that you’re running something faster than the box says it should run and you also tested it a bunch so you’re sure it’s reliable.

Also when you bump it by like 10% you do actually see your frames go up.

If ASUS can bin chips they’re going to put better ones in the strix versus the TUF which isn’t really designed to overclock. (Pure speculation tho)

I wonder if that’s what’s causing the release delay.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Few more people got their 3080s in Newegg's exclusive minimalist packaging.

The state of this one:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
How does this even happen.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

:wtc: maybe not being able to order on Newegg ended up being a blessing. That's loving terrible. A one off I could sort of understand, but 2 more? gently caress that.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Avoid Newegg like the loving plague then, got it

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, based on the timestamps on the discord updater bot it looks like the cards stayed in stock this time for 2-4 minutes, and that was enough that relatively a ton of people seem to have gotten them. So until now they genuinely have probably been getting botted/selling out in literal seconds rofl

Which discord is this? Would be nice to get a discord alert so I don't have to install one of these auto F5 things.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I assume newegg has been pulling cards out of prebuilt PCs.

Artist's impression of the tech who removed that bent one:

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Beautiful Ninja posted:

I wonder if the 3090 FE is extremely power limited compared to the 3080 FE, it's only got 20 more watts to work with for 20% more cores and more than double the VRAM. I'll need to see how the AIB 3090's end up for overall performance boost, if it's more consistently 15-20% on the AIB's I'll go that route despite the poor value, but if it trends closer to 10% I'll just probably get the 3080 to replace my 2080 Ti. Losing 1GB of VRAM shouldn't be an issue since I don't play at 4K anyway, 3440x1440 on my main monitor and 2880x1600 on the Index.

Why does it need to be twice the size despite only having 20 more watts? Does the efficiency really take that big a dip to get the slight performance increase?

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

Scan have updated their card ETAs. But they have now just completely removed MSI. Before this, they were saying 30th-2nd for them as well.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Skilbs posted:

Scan have updated their card ETAs. But they have now just completely removed MSI. Before this, they were saying 30th-2nd for them as well.

Didn't they also say that these expected deliveries will not even cover the current back orders?