Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Wow, that thing is understated as hell, I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

shrike82 posted:

seems fairly unlikely that games will be hyperoptimized to that extent given the existence of consoles

maybe in 5 years where some form of it is running on everything but not for the foreseeable future when RTX cards form what - less than 10% of the machines that people are playing games on

I'd agree with the 5 year timeframe.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

gradenko_2000 posted:

What's the rest of the PC like

It's a box with hardware in it, but that's not important right now.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'd like to note that excluding the specially-designed FE, that's the only dual fan cooler I've seen on a 3080 besides the budget inno3d x2. It's probably not going to be very good thermals-wise and I'd expect some throttling to kick in a little earlier compared to other 3080s.

I think it might have been a good idea to simply wait

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

spunkshui posted:

Very true.

When we case swapped my wifes PC this year we realizing the 500w PSU was loud. Got lucky going for a 750 way before Nvidia recommended it.

This is why I got the 650 corsair back in the day. I wanted one of them new fancy 140mm fan PSUs.

edit: And now a bunch of goons are going to realize their PSU is the loudest fans in their rig. Sorry, been there with my 80mm PC Power and cooling unit.

Yup, this was literally me last night. I have a dedicated NAS that sits next to my desk that was a bit louder than I liked, so I bought some P12 fans since a box of 5 was $30. Spent an hour swapping them in, only to find that the main noisemaker for that system is the 450W cheap-o PSU.

So now I'm trying to find a <400W PSU that'll do zero-fan mode (since I think normal power draw is like...80W) that isn't also $100.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
What's the likelihood of a non-custom loop water cooler for the FE in the near future? Like an AIO type of deal? I'm guessing basically zero.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Fuzz posted:

What's the likelihood of a non-custom loop water cooler for the FE in the near future? Like an AIO type of deal? I'm guessing basically zero.

You mean an AIO kit like EVGA released for their 2070/80's, but for the FE? Zero.

If you want an AIO, EVGA will be making one, and probably one or two other AIBs. EVGA has already said they're going with a 240mm rad this time instead of the 120mm ones they used in the past. And a 360mm rad for the 3090 version :lol:

Alternately, if you want to pay a silly amount, you can go with EK and do a very small custom loop with one of their 120mm rads and one of the small combo res/pump deals. Works out to something like $400, though.

Or you can do what I'm likely gonna do, which is wait for NZXT to update the G12 to support the new mounting hole pattern on Ampere and then shove a random AIO onto it. No ETA on that, sadly.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

no RT for DMC:SE on XSS
https://twitter.com/DevilMayCry/status/1320888185078108161?s=20

it's such a cut-down box just to hit a $100 lower price target. you have to wonder if it'll bite Microsoft in the rear end by forcing developers to do a shittier performance target to hit both XSS and XSX

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know much about how the console market works, but is it possible the XSS will get some traction for being to play the previous generation of games really well? Or maybe it's a good fit for people who only have a 1080p TV?

I just tried to do a search on 4k adoption versus number of 1080p sets out there and it didn't really get much useful information, but I'm guessing that 1080p still outnumbers 4k overall.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

Welp I received my RTX 3080... the unbranded Dell one that came with the Alienware I just bought lol

After stacking discounts and cash back it's basically scalper price but includes a decent PC. I'll probably just use it as a free rental unless I can scalp the card for near the price I paid.

This thing is janky as hell and now I need to buy a riser card to even use it in my normal PC:

Interesting. That shows us what the non-FE reference design looks like. Does it use the normal 8-pin power connectors or the new 12-pin one?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't know much about how the console market works, but is it possible the XSS will get some traction for being to play the previous generation of games really well? Or maybe it's a good fit for people who only have a 1080p TV?

I just tried to do a search on 4k adoption versus number of 1080p sets out there and it didn't really get much useful information, but I'm guessing that 1080p still outnumbers 4k overall.

Microsoft already announced that if you try to run a previous-gen game on the Xbox Series S, it's not going to look like you're running it on the Xbox One X (i.e. the designed-for-4k version of the Xbox One), but rather that you're going to get Xbox One-quality.

Or to put it in less confusing terms, this is the MS equivalent of playing a PS4 game on the PS5, and instead of it looking like it's on the PS4 Pro, it's still going to look like it's on the base PS4.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 27, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

FuturePastNow posted:

Interesting. That shows us what the non-FE reference design looks like. Does it use the normal 8-pin power connectors or the new 12-pin one?

Just two 8-pin

Also the backplate has a cutout that lets half of one fan blow through the back.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

gradenko_2000 posted:

Microsoft already announced that if you try to run a previous-gen game on the Xbox Series X, it's not going to look like you're running it on the Xbox One X (i.e. the designed-for-4k version of the Xbox One), but rather that you're going to get Xbox One-quality.

Or to put it in less confusing terms, this is the MS equivalent of playing a PS4 game on the PS5, and instead of it looking like it's on the PS4 Pro, it's still going to look like it's on the base PS4.

Aren't you contradicting the DF video where MS gave them an XSX to demo the backcompat? And regardless, isn't this all entirely moot? Is there a single Xbox One exclusive that anyone is going to want to go back and play?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Microsoft already announced that if you try to run a previous-gen game on the Xbox Series X, it's not going to look like you're running it on the Xbox One X (i.e. the designed-for-4k version of the Xbox One), but rather that you're going to get Xbox One-quality.

Okay, thanks - I wasn't sure sure how that worked on consoles.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

K8.0 posted:

Aren't you contradicting the DF video where MS gave them an XSX to demo the backcompat? And regardless, isn't this all entirely moot? Is there a single Xbox One exclusive that anyone is going to want to go back and play?

I hosed up and wrote Xbox Series X when I should have written S. What I meant was that it's the S (the cut-down version) that won't play Xbox One games at Xbox One X quality.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrDork posted:

Alternately, if you want to pay a silly amount, you can go with EK and do a very small custom loop with one of their 120mm rads and one of the small combo res/pump deals. Works out to something like $400, though.

bykski/barrow will get you that small custom loop at under 250 with a 240/360mm radiator

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/kopite7kimi/status/1320995351415828480?s=20

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DrDork posted:

Everyone planning on AMD builds with Ampere is kinda wasting money on Titanium/Platinum PSUs because you're not overclocking either of those bits by any meaningful amount in the first place.

This isn't entirely true, it's not a waste of money - a PSUs rating isn't directly related to overclocking capabilities for the rest of the system, it just means your power is being delivered more efficiently (especially at 50% loads) than a lower rated PSU.

Always buy the most efficient PSU you can afford. I think you're confusing overall wattage with efficiency.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Oct 27, 2020

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress it, just gently caress it!

Going to shoot for a order on big navi since I wont see a 3080 till after xmas at this rate jfc Nvidia screwed up so bad going with samsung

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

What a clusterfuck.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If they're going to keep selling $900 GPU JPEGs they could at least make the next round look interesting. Let's get some spoilers and dragon decals on my fake video card, Nvidia!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Look I threw out the thread title as a joke but this is getting ridiculous

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
How far out from launch did 3080 cards start being listed by online stores as "coming soon" or whatever?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

an Australian retailer has finally given some updates on stock on a per card basis - some grim reading

https://www.pccasegear.com/rtx30

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Qmass posted:

an Australian retailer has finally given some updates on stock on a per card basis - some grim reading

I couldn't view the page without using a VPN in Australia

e: the non-OC TUF appearing to not be in production stuff mirrors this OCUK post
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...18899277/page-3

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Qmass posted:

The fewer Australians who get new graphics cards the fewer Australians I hear on discord complaining about their 500ms pings because they don't want to play with the rest of SE Asia.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

how do you say :rip: with an Australian accent?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

shrike82 posted:

REEP m8

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

shrike82 posted:

Rest in poi-ce yah fucken dog cunts!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

shrike82 posted:

rippah

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
3070 FE reviews are coming out

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-founders-edition-review

Also Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbZDERlshbQ

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 27, 2020

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

list and links of all 3070 reviews by different sites, here:
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-founders-edition-review-roundup

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-founders-edition/35.html

It's a 2080ti

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

If they're going to keep selling $900 GPU JPEGs they could at least make the next round look interesting. Let's get some spoilers and dragon decals on my fake video card, Nvidia!

to be fair the FE's do look really cool

EDIT: The 3070 looks like a drat good deal, would still prefer the 3080 but I suspect a lot of people are gonna bite on this one.

Shipon fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 27, 2020

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Will any games in the next 3-4 years need > 8GB VRAM for 1440p?

That's the only question that needs answered for me. if 8GB will cover it, 3070 all the way.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I'd buy a 3070FE card for MSRP. Every partner card is more expensive and nvidia doesn't sell FEs here. gg

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

pmchem posted:

That's the only question that needs answered for me. if 8GB will cover it, 3070 all the way.

No way to know for sure* better get a 3090.

*It would be a safe bet that they won't need more than 8GB for 1440p

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

pmchem posted:

You'll probably be fine.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Here's something random: While waiting for my 3080 I decided to play with Control's RTX settings on my 1080TI. Imagine my surprise when I was able to run it with all settings turned to high at 60FPS... while rendering at 1280x540 with an upscale to 3440x1440. Still, it's pretty cool, and playable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/kopite7kimi/status/1320998162744578048

That puts it closer to the 3090

3080: 68 SMs, 320bit
"3080ti": 78 SMs, 384bit
3090: 82 SMs, 384bit