Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I've already seen people dumping 780ti's for ~$400 on craigslist. News spreads fast I guess. At those prices looks like I will be SLI'ing after all and :smith:'ing at my space heater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Don Lapre posted:

looking forward to running a 980ti on a 300w power supply.

I think you're overestimating Maxwell's efficiency a 512-bit GPU is still going to hit ~250 TDP @ 20nm (16nm is not happening because TSMC) and that's lower than it should be considering how Green team likes to fudge their TDP numbers.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Khagan posted:

I think you're overestimating Maxwell's efficiency a 512-bit GPU is still going to hit ~250 TDP @ 20nm (16nm is not happening because TSMC) and that's lower than it should be considering how Green team likes to fudge their TDP numbers.

I wasn't being serious.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I crammed a 7970 into a mITX box, then went smaller to a GTX 680, and intend to toss an 880 GTX into it next. :getin:

Although that's with an ATX power supply. You can go even smaller with the SilverStone RAVEN and have a slightly larger but more customizable Alienware X51. It even has a similar PCIe riser card that allows the graphics card to lay flat with the motherboard. However, it requires a SFX power supply and the most powerful one currently available, which is also from SilverStone, is only rated at 450W and 37A on the +12V rail. It's just barely not enough for a GTX 770 which requires 42A.

I actually just parted out a build with the Raven only to be disappointed to find out that I'd be limited to a GTX 760.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
^ You might be interested in these that are coming out soon, then.
http://www.techpowerup.com/201609/silverstone-unveils-a-600w-fully-modular-sfx-power-supply.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/202738/dirac-launches-tesla-cube-series-550w-and-650w-sfx-power-supplies.html

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Edward IV posted:

It's just barely not enough for a GTX 770 which requires 42A.

Thats recommended for the whole system. Valve shipped the steam boxes with titans and 780ti's using that 450w.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Edward IV posted:

Although that's with an ATX power supply. You can go even smaller with the SilverStone RAVEN and have a slightly larger but more customizable Alienware X51. It even has a similar PCIe riser card that allows the graphics card to lay flat with the motherboard. However, it requires a SFX power supply and the most powerful one currently available, which is also from SilverStone, is only rated at 450W and 37A on the +12V rail. It's just barely not enough for a GTX 770 which requires 42A.

I actually just parted out a build with the Raven only to be disappointed to find out that I'd be limited to a GTX 760.

Silverstone has a 600w SFX PSU coming out any day now - it may even be out already.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Also the GTX 800 series which will be out within a couple months should be somewhat of a step down in TDP. The 750ti white paper claims a 2x increase in performance/watt for Maxwell which when factoring in the performance increases would still be a significant reduction.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 5, 2014

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm looking at a laptop (Sager NP3977) on XoticPC and was looking for feedback on the various GPU upgrades and their value for money/performance.

So it comes with SLI GTX 860M;
- $200 gets you a GTX 880M;
- $250 gets you SLI GTX 870M;
- $800 gets you SLI GTX 880M.

Now I know the SLI 880Ms will be absolutely amazing, but are they $800 amazing? The benchmarks I've seen for games are impressive, even over a lone 880M. I might be able to afford that.

Also getting the upgrade to the lone 880M nets you a 120Hz "MatteType" 72% NTSC Color Gamut Sager Screen. Not sure if that's much better than the standard screen though.

Any advice is appreciated!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm looking at a laptop (Sager NP3977) on XoticPC and was looking for feedback on the various GPU upgrades and their value for money/performance.

So it comes with SLI GTX 860M;
- $200 gets you a GTX 880M;
- $250 gets you SLI GTX 870M;
- $800 gets you SLI GTX 880M.

Now I know the SLI 880Ms will be absolutely amazing, but are they $800 amazing? The benchmarks I've seen for games are impressive, even over a lone 880M. I might be able to afford that.

Also getting the upgrade to the lone 880M nets you a 120Hz "MatteType" 72% NTSC Color Gamut Sager Screen. Not sure if that's much better than the standard screen though.

Any advice is appreciated!

Whenever a gaming laptop question comes out, the first thing to ask is always "do you really need a gaming laptop?".

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Palladium posted:

Whenever a gaming laptop question comes out, the first thing to ask is always "do you really need a gaming laptop?".

Well in this situation let's say "yes".

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are you going to be living on a boat or oil rig? You're not going to get any sort of meaningful battery life out of it. The only reason you'd want a gaming laptop is if you're somewhere you can still plug it in, but are incredibly space constrained. You're going to hate moving it around if it's for work or something. You'd be better off getting a conventional laptop that only weighs a few pounds and a separate desktop to keep back home.

They're all incredibly poor values from a price/performance perspective. A 880M performs in between a desktop 760 and 770, so you're paying around 600$ for a card that performs like a 300$ card.

I'd go for a single 880m over any SLI setup because it's just easier in the long run. SLI inevitably will break on whatever game you were excited about playing and then you're stuck waiting a few weeks for new drivers.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 5, 2014

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Cool, thanks for your advice! Negotiating this maze of GPUs is never ending.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Alan_Shore posted:

I haven't followed the mobile GPU market for a long time, but the rule of thumb is the mobile version has only about 50% of performance compared to the desktop version sharing the same model number, and https://www.notebookcheck.net is your friend.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I didn't know you could SLI laptops :confused:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

1gnoirents posted:

I didn't know you could SLI laptops :confused:

You cant

This is 2 videocards in one laptop.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Well, you don't SLI the laptops, just the graphics cards. :v: E: ^^^ fuuuuuuuuck yyyyyyoooooooouuuuuuu

It's just multiple MXM slots.

Dual 7800 GTX Go on a motherboard for a 19" laptop.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 5, 2014

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Again repeating my recommendation for the Gigabyte P34G v2/XMG C404 laptop - pretty powerful (Maxwell 860m) and very light, I'm super happy with it.

Of course, probably not the hefty gaming laptop beast you're looking for.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Alan_Shore posted:

Dont wanna poo poo up the GPU thread with it so come by the laptop thread if you want to discuss it more. There are quite a few gaming laptop(including Sagers from XoticPC) owners there and we'd be happy to address any concerns you have. The situation is not as dire as made out to be.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

craig588 posted:

Are you going to be living on a boat or oil rig? You're not going to get any sort of meaningful battery life out of it. The only reason you'd want a gaming laptop is if you're somewhere you can still plug it in, but are incredibly space constrained. You're going to hate moving it around if it's for work or something. You'd be better off getting a conventional laptop that only weighs a few pounds and a separate desktop to keep back home.
Even if you're really space constrained, personally I would just get or build a space constrained gaming system rather than a gaming laptop.

Edit: with that said, I bought a gaming laptop once so I can understand why a person would do such a thing.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 5, 2014

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

go3 posted:

Dont wanna poo poo up the GPU thread with it so come by the laptop thread if you want to discuss it more. There are quite a few gaming laptop(including Sagers from XoticPC) owners there and we'd be happy to address any concerns you have. The situation is not as dire as made out to be.

I posted in there a few days ago but didn't get any reply. Most posts are about sensible portable Yogas and things. Tried to PM you but you can't accept. Would like to get some more advice, especially about Sagers. I might try again!

Rastor posted:

Even if you're really space constrained, personally I would just get or build a space constrained gaming system rather than a gaming laptop.

Edit: with that said, I bought a gaming laptop once so I can understand why a person would do such a thing.

Well I don't really have a home right now and move around a fair bit. Believe me I know how much cheaper and better it would be to have a mATX PC!

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Don Lapre posted:

You cant

This is 2 videocards in one laptop.

Factory Factory posted:

Well, you don't SLI the laptops, just the graphics cards. :v: E: ^^^ fuuuuuuuuck yyyyyyoooooooouuuuuuu

It's just multiple MXM slots.

Dual 7800 GTX Go on a motherboard for a 19" laptop.

That looks... hot.

It's good that's an option I suppose. I was always highly disappointed with gaming laptops anytime I saw or used one. I can see that being at least an option for performance. But wow, I get this feeling you could cook an egg on that

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

1gnoirents posted:

That looks... hot.

My brand new laptop with a GT420M @ 35W can almost grill chicken at the exhaust vent in WoW...Now try a much more demanding game with those 2 at 100W each.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Palladium posted:

My brand new laptop with a GT420M @ 35W can almost grill chicken at the exhaust vent in WoW...Now try a much more demanding game with those 2 at 100W each.

I think I'd rather not play games at that point lol.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Palladium posted:

My brand new laptop with a GT420M @ 35W can almost grill chicken at the exhaust vent in WoW...

If I remember my time playing WoW correctly this sounds like a useful feature for a hardcore WoW enthusiast.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Here's what the cooling system looks like for multiple 100W MXM modules:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Factory Factory posted:

So that's how many BBQ chickens per minute?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Factory Factory posted:

That reminds me of when I worked at Alienware sometimes I'd get a loaner laptop to work on and it was a SLI m9700. That fucker got so damned hot after an hour of just regular usage I wondered how anyone could ever use it to actually game on.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

This is weird, all my research says that the latest gaming behemoths like Alienware 17s and 18s and Sagers are actually very cool and super quiet. Maybe they've come a long way in the past year?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Alan_Shore posted:

This is weird, all my research says that the latest gaming behemoths like Alienware 17s and 18s and Sagers are actually very cool and super quiet. Maybe they've come a long way in the past year?
Maybe, it probably helps that the gpu's themselves have gotten better at heat management and not putting out quite so much heat. That and they're not being made by little old Cuban ladies.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10
Asked in the parts thread, but I'd like to see what you all have to say, too.

What the minimum recommended CPU for a R9 290 without a terrible bottleneck?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Any Sandy Bridge or newer quad core i5.

So the exact same answer you got.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10

Factory Factory posted:

Any Sandy Bridge or newer quad core i5.

So the exact same answer you got.

How bad is the bottleneck with an i3?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It depends on whether the title you are playing bottlenecks on an i3 or not. Like I said in the parts-picking thread, a CPU is the bottleneck for more performance or it isn't. In most titles, it isn't. Whether the CPU is a bottleneck or not depends on 1) how many threads the software uses (i.e. how many cores it can take advantage of) and how well those threads are balanced, 2) the per-thread performance of the CPU (i.e. how fast an individual core is), and 3) what else, if anything, you have running besides the game (such as non-GPU video capture and transcoding).

For example, StarCraft 2 is a game that uses two threads, so it can only take advantage of two CPU cores. A Core i3-4160, with two cores and fast per-core performance, will play the game as fast as a six-core i7-3960X (because only two cores can be used for the game's needs) and significantly faster than an FX-8350 (which will only use two of its eight cores, and those cores are significantly lower-performance than an Intel Haswell or Ivy Bridge core).

Then you have a game like Battlefield 4, which can use many threads (and therefore many cores) without relying much on the per-thread performance of the CPU or having a high CPU load in general. An i3 will still run fine because it can do the work of four low-impact threads within its two cores without a problem.

But then take a game like, I dunno, Watch Dogs? Highly threaded with a heavy CPU load, but not too dependent on per-core performance. You'll see a four-core Haswell butt heads with eight-core FX, six core Ivy Bridge-E pull away, and a Core i3 not doing so hot. All regardless of GPU. But Watch Dogs is an unoptimized piece of poo poo and you shouldn't feel bad for not maxing it out.

Then take WoW - scales well up to four threads, but threads 1 and 2 do the bulk of the work, so per-core performance is important. Here the quad core Haswell will do best, the Core i3 will come in behind it, and the 8-core FX will fall behind.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 5, 2014

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Titles that were developed on PC first or exclusively (SC2, WoW) are better bets when it comes to scaling down to a dual core CPU, for console ports you might be better off going with more cores as both consoles use 8 core CPUs.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

That's really not true at all.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10

290s are going for so cheap on ebay right now that they are in my budget, but a 4690k or so isn't. I've got some thinking and re-budgeting to do.

Thanks for the explanation.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

El Kabong posted:

290s are going for so cheap on ebay right now that they are in my budget, but a 4690k or so isn't. I've got some thinking and re-budgeting to do.

Thanks for the explanation.

If you can reach a Microcenter they have Pentium AEs with a mobo combo @ ~$100 as pretty nice stopgap solution.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of R9 290's and Pentium AE's... you guys have been big fans of the poo poo I've sold before so I put both into a new build and I'm selling it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3655765

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Alan_Shore posted:

I posted in there a few days ago but didn't get any reply. Most posts are about sensible portable Yogas and things. Tried to PM you but you can't accept. Would like to get some more advice, especially about Sagers. I might try again!

Well I don't really have a home right now and move around a fair bit. Believe me I know how much cheaper and better it would be to have a mATX PC!

I found your post and replied