Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Some Goon posted:

What's the best gpu you can get with vga out?

FuturePastNow posted:

$10 bucks on Monoprice for their Displayport to VGA adapter https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12790

Startech's MSRP on the one I posted a picture of is about $30 but I've never seen them that high online

When a friend was trying to get a CRT working on a modern machine I learned that most DP-VGA adapters are only designed for office projectors and can't handle high resolutions/refresh rates

The /r/crtgaming subreddit is a good resource, this adapter can do very high pixel clocks apparently: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-HDMI-VGA-Adapter/dp/B0849FTBXQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

repiv posted:

When a friend was trying to get a CRT working on a modern machine I learned that most DP-VGA adapters are only designed for office projectors and can't handle high resolutions/refresh rates

Ah, that's good to know.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The plan is to use it with a consumer tv for some sweet authentic looking ps1 action. It looks like DP->VGA->Component is my best bet, not least because neither my motherboard or case will fit a second gpu. Cursory googling suggests some adapters may not support a 15khz signal so I'll have to look out for that but otherwise it should be workable.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
I've built a "spare" Pc for emergency or special projects from spare bits. The only missing bit is a graphics card.
I was somewhat naive, thinking I could spend $40 and pick something nice up but its crazy out there on ebay... Was searching for stuff like 970,960, 1050 or 1060.
What other cards should I expand my search to? I need DP, HDMI and the case is mATX so cant take a full sized triple fan cards.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The low-end market has sucked for so long that the used low-end market started to suck. Then this year there came a massive spike in demand for PC hardware and prices went up. A used RX 480 costs more today than it did 2-3 years ago. There's no good solution, you're going to overpay for underwhelming and drastically out of date performance. This isn't likely to change much any time soon either. Maybe in 6-9 months AMD will come out with some $200-ish cards that start putting pressure on the low-end market, but don't hold your breath too hard.

Just don't buy a 9-series Nvidia GPU. It's not worth it building a gaming PC that can't support Freesync at this point.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

wibble posted:

I've built a "spare" Pc for emergency or special projects from spare bits. The only missing bit is a graphics card.
I was somewhat naive, thinking I could spend $40 and pick something nice up but its crazy out there on ebay... Was searching for stuff like 970,960, 1050 or 1060.
What other cards should I expand my search to? I need DP, HDMI and the case is mATX so cant take a full sized triple fan cards.

I've got a 3GB Radeon R9 280X that could go to a good home. It's on par with a 1050 Ti, though it drinks power by comparison, and has two mini-DisplayPorts, an HDMI, and a DVI-I connector. PM me - I'll make you a fair deal. It's in barely used condition.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

K8.0 posted:

The low-end market has sucked for so long that the used low-end market started to suck. Then this year there came a massive spike in demand for PC hardware and prices went up. A used RX 480 costs more today than it did 2-3 years ago. There's no good solution, you're going to overpay for underwhelming and drastically out of date performance. This isn't likely to change much any time soon either. Maybe in 6-9 months AMD will come out with some $200-ish cards that start putting pressure on the low-end market, but don't hold your breath too hard.

Just don't buy a 9-series Nvidia GPU. It's not worth it building a gaming PC that can't support Freesync at this point.

Outside of a few RX 5000 series cards, it is basically impossible to find a GPU made in the last couple years right now. Even all of the RTX 2060 cards seem to have disappeared.

The 3060 Ti is supposed to be out this week, right? I imagine a $400 GPU will sell out even quicker than the higher-end models.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wibble posted:

7970 blower here, recently repasted, tested working 1 month ago before put in storage. Pay for shipping and its yours

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep

Hasturtium posted:

I've got a 3GB Radeon R9 280X that could go to a good home. It's on par with a 1050 Ti, though it drinks power by comparison, and has two mini-DisplayPorts, an HDMI, and a DVI-I connector. PM me - I'll make you a fair deal. It's in barely used condition.

Thanks for the offers folks but I'm a bit too far away. Going to monitor ebay and try and snap something up that way for now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just cracked open an evga 3080 xe3 ultra and thank god, no red lips!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just out of curiosity checked the situation in various shops and ebay, and apparently people are still trying the "Selling RTX 3080 picture" thing

The text plainly says it's a printed out picture (new condition lol) but with a bonus of people not speaking German jumping on it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

pyrotek posted:

Outside of a few RX 5000 series cards, it is basically impossible to find a GPU made in the last couple years right now. Even all of the RTX 2060 cards seem to have disappeared.

The 3060 Ti is supposed to be out this week, right? I imagine a $400 GPU will sell out even quicker than the higher-end models.

Yeah the 3060 are supposed to go on sale on Dec 2.

Pretty much the same footprint as the 3070 while being 10%-15% slower.

I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes due to being $100 cheaper than the 3070.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

etalian posted:

Yeah the 3060 are supposed to go on sale on Dec 2.

Pretty much the same footprint as the 3070 while being 10%-15% slower.

I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes due to being $100 cheaper than the 3070.

The bots have probably already bought them all lol

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

etalian posted:

I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes due to being $100 cheaper than the 3070 a GPU in 2020.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Martian Manfucker posted:

The stock situation in Canada is extremely dire. I had a full down payment pre-order from release day to two weeks ago when Mike's Computer Shop said they weren't going to fill a majority of them until 2021. Newegg.ca drops were happening weekly, almost daily, and I figured I could snag one there and not have my money sitting at Mike's for months with nothing to show for it.

Well jokes on me because there's been like one 3080 drop in two weeks in Canada. Retailers seem to be getting a trickle of stock but it's going to pre-orders. I should have pulled the trigger on the Ventus my friend grabbed but I wanted the better cooler models. Feeling very stupid right now.

This is all of the GPUs available at my local Microcenter :lol:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Snatch up that gt710

Good card

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
HD 7750 lookin' mighty fine

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

DrDork posted:

Yeah, a 3090 barely makes sense as a gaming card

Since I got my 3090 and 5950x I had the epitome of usecases, because I have been playing...wait for it...
World of Warcraft most of the time. :shepicide:
This fkking game...

And the Raytracing in WoW is wasted on top of it.

Anyone who wants a 3090 for gaming should wait for the 3080Ti anyway.

It will be a 3090 with 4 GB VRAM less and for 500 Euro/Dollar less.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

mobby_6kl posted:

Just out of curiosity checked the situation in various shops and ebay, and apparently people are still trying the "Selling RTX 3080 picture" thing

The text plainly says it's a printed out picture (new condition lol) but with a bonus of people not speaking German jumping on it.

I am unsure if I am more mad about the shitheads that are trying to bait people into that trap or if I should be more baffled about the people that fail to read and fall for this :smugjones:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

My microcenter claims to have 1 Radeon RX 5700 xt... and low profile Quadros, HD7750s and a rx560.

That’s it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MaxxBot posted:

80 bucks is the lowest price i've seen on a 1030 in the last 2 years

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

It's preying on the instinct for people to panic bid at the last second or something, gently caress 'em, listings like that should be immediately taken down.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it is pretty hilarious how this has turned out. you can't buy a 3000 or 6000 series because oopsie! turns out manufacturing 100 cards a week wasn't enough to meet demand. but they haven't been manufacturing the previous models for months now, so supplies of those cards are almost totally depleted too. and stuff like the evga step-up program aren't helping. there's just literally no decent graphics cards available anywhere in the world. lomarf

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I get the sense that Wolfenstein: Youngblood was not well-received, but I've been enjoying it and find the graphics really impressive, especially the RT. Seeing myself reflected in things real-time is neat, and it runs so much faster than Metro: Exodus did.

I didn't play it before they added DLSS 2.1, so maybe it didn't perform as well before, but now it runs great. The only visual quirks I've noticed are occasional white seams along edges here and there, like light leaking through a crack, but that's been rare, and I'm not sure if that's due to DLSS, RT, or something else like AA going wrong.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Youngblood wasn't as good as the other two games in the series but I still found it fun. Everyone can enjoy exploding Nazis with laser cannons. Except the Nazis I guess but gently caress 'em.

The end boss is super loving cheap though, don't feel bad about turning down the difficulty at that point

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Id be really interested to see evga 2xxx sales numbers that immediately signed up for step up. Sell your existing card for max price, buy an identical one.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ijyt posted:

It's preying on the instinct for people to panic bid at the last second or something, gently caress 'em, listings like that should be immediately taken down.

Those have been up for years. Dunno who buys them but microcenter has never shown a willingness to firesale old inventory.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Some Goon posted:

Those have been up for years. Dunno who buys them but microcenter has never shown a willingness to firesale old inventory.

Oh whoops no sorry, I was talking about those 3080 FE NEW! A4 printed image eBay listings.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I just did a quick search on 2070 Supers and it is crazy out there. On NewEgg, the cheapest ones are more than $200 more expensive than what I paid. Including used ones. From China.

This reminds me of when I got my 1060 6GB right before mining went crazy, and within a few months the exact card I bought was selling for almost twice what I bought mine for.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

ijyt posted:

Oh whoops no sorry, I was talking about those 3080 FE NEW! A4 printed image eBay listings.

Ah, yes. Those are deffo predatory.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

it is pretty hilarious how this has turned out. you can't buy a 3000 or 6000 series because oopsie! turns out manufacturing 100 cards a week wasn't enough to meet demand. but they haven't been manufacturing the previous models for months now, so supplies of those cards are almost totally depleted too. and stuff like the evga step-up program aren't helping. there's just literally no decent graphics cards available anywhere in the world. lomarf

AMD’s got all of TSMC’s capacity making APUs for Xbox/PS5. Nvidia decided to use Samsung instead and apparently that isn’t going very well. If it is indeed binning issues maybe there will be a lot of 3060TIs, but idk if you can recover a smaller chip from a larger one in the series?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
A vsync issue?: I was testing Sims 4 for someone on their new laptop. It's got a 1650 so it predictably ran great. 80-120fps, most of the time on the higher end of that. But when I locked it to 60fps, in those performance stressing situations, like quick zooming back and forth, the fps display (Origin's) would flicker between 61 and 59 but more to the point I'd get hitches. Again, with the frame rate unlocked it never went below 84 under the same circumstances.

I've had this kind of behavior before (hitching despite frame cap being well below performance cap), was wondering if there's a universal way of addressing it.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

hobbesmaster posted:

My microcenter claims to have 1 Radeon RX 5700 xt... and low profile Quadros, HD7750s and a rx560.

That’s it.

Went to the Philly Microcenter yesterday, and they had a sign up saying they were specifically sold out of RTX 3080s. No sign up for any other cards, but saw no other 3000 or 6000 series on the shelf.

I just want a card that's almost three times as many as my 1070, even if it's less than a third as many as my older 9700 Pro. Even 'R300' is almost three times as much as 'GA102', but it's way more money - what gives? It even takes ~6 times more power. I know a billion is more than a million, but surely 100 millions is more than 30 billions, right?

EDIT: Hold on, I have a 3570k in storage, that's 500 and a k more than a 3070, right?

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

mobby_6kl posted:

What's the point of those auctions? Even if they do go through, eBay's policies tend to skew towards the buyer, so it's almost certain the seller will need to issue a refund once the buyer realizes they've been had.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I get the sense that Wolfenstein: Youngblood was not well-received, but I've been enjoying it and find the graphics really impressive, especially the RT. Seeing myself reflected in things real-time is neat, and it runs so much faster than Metro: Exodus did.

I didn't play it before they added DLSS 2.1, so maybe it didn't perform as well before, but now it runs great. The only visual quirks I've noticed are occasional white seams along edges here and there, like light leaking through a crack, but that's been rare, and I'm not sure if that's due to DLSS, RT, or something else like AA going wrong.

I think like all games where there's a mandatory coop AI companion it plays better when you have an actual friend playing with you and not the AI there doing potentially dumb things.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

mA posted:

What's the point of those auctions? Even if they do go through, eBay's policies tend to skew towards the buyer, so it's almost certain the seller will need to issue a refund once the buyer realizes they've been had.

At least it used to be you signed up with a new account, got a sale, pulled the money out of PayPal immediately, and then lol don't care about it after that. I'd assume they've made that harder to do since then, but who knows.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rinkles posted:

A vsync issue?: I was testing Sims 4 for someone on their new laptop. It's got a 1650 so it predictably ran great. 80-120fps, most of the time on the higher end of that. But when I locked it to 60fps, in those performance stressing situations, like quick zooming back and forth, the fps display (Origin's) would flicker between 61 and 59 but more to the point I'd get hitches. Again, with the frame rate unlocked it never went below 84 under the same circumstances.

I've had this kind of behavior before (hitching despite frame cap being well below performance cap), was wondering if there's a universal way of addressing it.

what you capped it with matters.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mA posted:

zero feedback seller. I think the name of the game is to transfer the money out of paypal and then leave paypal holding the bag.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fauxtool posted:

what you capped it with matters.

in game vsync

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

use nvidia control panel to lock framerates and enforce vsync, not the game setting