Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
pretty much all of the "can't be added to your cart" or "not available in your area" are really resulting from the items being out of stock and the website just not handling that case very well. So it's a bummer but basically that is just a different variation of "out of stock", don't feel like you missed out because the website sucks, it was just out of stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
So the stock drops aren't on Tuesday anymore? I've been telling my friend to look out for drops on Tuesday. :(

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
best buy stock seem to be a "Whenever" thing now. The time is pretty consistent still: around 7:30-9:00 AM PST

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kunabomber posted:

So the stock drops aren't on Tuesday anymore? I've been telling my friend to look out for drops on Tuesday. :(

it's been tuesdays much more frequently but occasionally it has been fridays in the past.

If there is no drop on tuesday maybe be ready for a possible drop on friday but some weeks there is nothing at all, it's not like no drop on tuesday implies a drop must be coming on friday,

And it seems like a drop on tuesday does imply there probably won't be a drop on friday.

but this is all guesswork, it's just "mostly every other tuesday but sometimes fridays, and usually at 11-12 eastern.".

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 22, 2021

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Yeah I'm just bitching. It shouldn't be so goddamn hard to spend nearly $1000.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Question about the best buy drops:

Is it okay to be on the "please wait" on multiple cards at a time?

Pretty much all the 3080 cards i tried for today it went "add to cart" > "please wait" > "add to cart", but at the second "add to cart" it wouldn't do anything.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I also snagged a 3080 FE about two hours ago, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who got lucky but it's hard to believe it's still this difficult.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Broose posted:

Question about the best buy drops:

Is it okay to be on the "please wait" on multiple cards at a time?

Pretty much all the 3080 cards i tried for today it went "add to cart" > "please wait" > "add to cart", but at the second "add to cart" it wouldn't do anything.

When you get Please Wait... you shouldn't click anything and just wait to see if it'll go to checkout.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

When you get Please Wait... you shouldn't click anything and just wait to see if it'll go to checkout.

Well, no, that's not what happened on my successful 3070 order i settled on. on desktop at least.
After the please wait it goes back to add to cart, which you press and it finally adds it to the cart and you can proceed to checkout on a pop-up.

I had an EVGA, gigabyte, and FE all on please wait and they all failed to go through. The moment it was done with "please wait" the add to cart button wouldn't work. That was after waiting like 5 minutes or so.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I was able to grab a MSI 3070 Ventus 3X OC. Wanted a 3080, but this is an upgrade so totally going to take it. It is a bit weird because I see a few on ebay that are only like 100 more than what I paid. That can't be worth after ebay fees and such. Anything I should be weary of with MSI?

How is MSI warranty? My worst fear is that I sell my current card and then the 3070 dies.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The Ventus price on Best Buy is marked up for some reason. Same with the 3080 - I paid $920 for it which is $180 more than it sells for elsewhere. It's $1500 or so on eBay.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

nordichammer posted:

I was able to grab a MSI 3070 Ventus 3X OC. Wanted a 3080, but this is an upgrade so totally going to take it. It is a bit weird because I see a few on ebay that are only like 100 more than what I paid. That can't be worth after ebay fees and such. Anything I should be weary of with MSI?

How is MSI warranty? My worst fear is that I sell my current card and then the 3070 dies.

Could be people who bought them pre-2021 mark-up, which IIRC was +$100 for those cards.

MSI warranty support is iffy, and they seem to like to argue with you more than some other companies do. Their cards are fine, though, so the likelihood of needing to deal with them is low.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
BB is still offering "Find a Store" on the 90FE periodically but it's a lie. I've tried locations all over the country and nothing. I even tried Billings, MT and Denver just for shits and grins.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Alright cool thanks for the info. Fingers crossed that I won't need the warranty

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Are there any good Twitter accounts as opposed to Discord? I don't much care for Discord but I live on Twitter as much as you can without running for office.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/snailmonitor?lang=en

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Does anyone remember the last time (ballpark) FEs were for sale at BB? It'd be nice to have some semblance of a restocking interval.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Does anyone remember the last time (ballpark) FEs were for sale at BB? It'd be nice to have some semblance of a restocking interval.

Weren't some up in the drop today? I know some people last week (Tuesday?) said they got some, too. They've been part of every BB drop, more or less.

They're gonna be even harder to grab now, though, considering they're still $700 while most other AIBs are like $900.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DrDork posted:

Weren't some up in the drop today? I know some people last week (Tuesday?) said they got some, too. They've been part of every BB drop, more or less.

They're gonna be even harder to grab now, though, considering they're still $700 while most other AIBs are like $900.

Yeah, well, I'm still a bit :mad: about the fact that at two different occasions I managed to get the 3090FE into my cart and got hosed by the "Choose Another Store" Shuffle. Then it started offering to send it to CVS and UPS Stores. Not a chance in loving hell even if it DID go through would I send a likely-unboxed $1500 GPU to a retail location *other* than the place I bought it from.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020

Hasturtium posted:

I dunno about ever, but Unreal looked so good for a game made in 1998 that I still thought it was pretty a decade later. Even now that art direction is stellar given the limits of what they were working with. It is just a little bit criminal that Quake II got a raytracing port while Unreal didn't.

But best-looking ever? I dunno. My answer would probably change day to day. They're games, they're frequently almost as fun for me to look at as to play.

I believe MDK was the most visually impressive game you could possibly play in 1997, by far. I'm always disappointed when people talk about the early 3D games and forget this one. I remember going back and playing it years later and still being impressed at how smooth and crisp the visuals were, and especially how fluid the game play was. A lot of the game mechanics included flying through complex levels, and somehow the developers managed to make it buttery smooth without any of the stutter that other games of the era had. Oh, and the game was made by loving geniuses that wrote their own programming language from scratch to make it possible for such a game to exist in that era via software rendering, requiring only a Pentium @ 60mhz and 16 MB of ram. No graphic hardware acceleration required or involved:

"Conceived and co-designed by Nick Bruty, MDK was Shiny's first PC game, and was notable for using software rendering, requiring a Pentium or equivalent microprocessor, rather than necessitating any GPU enhancements, despite its large 3D levels and complex polygonal enemies. As the developers were attempting things never before seen in a PC game, they had to write their own programming language from scratch. Additionally, when in sniper mode, the player has the ability to zoom up to 100x, but the developers chose not to employ any of the standard solutions to pop-up, such as clipping or fogging. They also worked to ensure the game ran at a minimum of 30fps at all times on all machines. The game's original system requirements were a 60 MHz Pentium, 16MB of RAM, 17MB of hard drive storage, an SVGA compatible video card, and a Sound Blaster or equivalent sound card."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDK_(video_game)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

I believe MDK was the most visually impressive game you could possibly play in 1997, by far. I'm always disappointed when people talk about the early 3D games and forget this one. I remember going back and playing it years later and still being impressed at how smooth and crisp the visuals were, and especially how fluid the game play was. A lot of the game mechanics included flying through complex levels, and somehow the developers managed to make it buttery smooth without any of the stutter that other games of the era had. Oh, and the game was made by loving geniuses that wrote their own programming language from scratch to make it possible for such a game to exist in that era via software rendering, requiring only a Pentium @ 60mhz and 16 MB of ram. No graphic hardware acceleration required or involved:

"Conceived and co-designed by Nick Bruty, MDK was Shiny's first PC game, and was notable for using software rendering, requiring a Pentium or equivalent microprocessor, rather than necessitating any GPU enhancements, despite its large 3D levels and complex polygonal enemies. As the developers were attempting things never before seen in a PC game, they had to write their own programming language from scratch. Additionally, when in sniper mode, the player has the ability to zoom up to 100x, but the developers chose not to employ any of the standard solutions to pop-up, such as clipping or fogging. They also worked to ensure the game ran at a minimum of 30fps at all times on all machines. The game's original system requirements were a 60 MHz Pentium, 16MB of RAM, 17MB of hard drive storage, an SVGA compatible video card, and a Sound Blaster or equivalent sound card."

Yeah I think this wins. I remember shots of MDK were plastered all over even Dell stores as a means to try to sell computers. MDK is probably the pinnacle of 'doing the most with the least'.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
MDK has more in common with Doom than its competition of 1997. Quake 2 was orders of magnitude ahead of it in terms of technical achievement, and despite not being received as well as Q1, is a game that still holds up to some extent, which MDK does not. Jedi Knight also was really innovative, redefining scale in first person shooters with absolutely enormous levels.

As an absolutely wild and hilarious trip MDK deserves praise, but it wasn't a good game and it wasn't very technically impressive. It's almost all just sprites in very simple arenas. The only thing you can really praise the devs for technically is realizing that high framerate matters a LOT and focusing on that above almost all else.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I remember way back when, my local CompUSA store had MDK set up on one of their "gaming PC" models.

Sure, it was hard to make out given the bad sound, even though it was hardware accelerated, but if you listened closely enough you could hear the NPCs yelling "SHOOT THAT MOTHERFUCKER" in a high pitched digital scream.

Of course, it sounded like "chuuute daht muhgafhugga," but still.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 23, 2021

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

K8.0 posted:

MDK has more in common with Doom than its competition of 1997. Quake 2 was orders of magnitude ahead of it in terms of technical achievement, and despite not being received as well as Q1, is a game that still holds up to some extent, which MDK does not. Jedi Knight also was really innovative, redefining scale in first person shooters with absolutely enormous levels.

As an absolutely wild and hilarious trip MDK deserves praise, but it wasn't a good game and it wasn't very technically impressive. It's almost all just sprites in very simple arenas. The only thing you can really praise the devs for technically is realizing that high framerate matters a LOT and focusing on that above almost all else.

Jedi Knight was great, but I still remember that awful loving swamp level that was basically all indistinguishable mud textures.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
To actually to respond to the topic, I think a strong contender for most visually impressive game for its time (and certainly most technically impressive for its time) is Daytona USA. A 57.5 FPS 496x380 polygonal texture mapped and filtered game in 1993. Granted, it used absolutely absurd hardware for its era that cost $15k, but that's not really the point. It's hard to put into perspective how far ahead of its time it was. For reference, Doom and Star Fox were the most impressive 3d PC and console games of the year... yeah...

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

K8.0 posted:

To actually to respond to the topic, I think a strong contender for most visually impressive game for its time (and certainly most technically impressive for its time) is Daytona USA. A 57.5 FPS 496x380 polygonal texture mapped and filtered game in 1993. Granted, it used absolutely absurd hardware for its era that cost $15k, but that's not really the point. It's hard to put into perspective how far ahead of its time it was. For reference, Doom and Star Fox were the most impressive 3d PC and console games of the year... yeah...

It wouldn't surprise me if former arcade attendants hear "DAY-TOH-NAAAAAAAAH" in their sleep and on their deathbeds.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 23, 2021

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020

K8.0 posted:

Doom was much simpler in textures and game dynamics, and often suffered from lag when too many enemies were on the screen. You couldn't even jump in Doom; the maps were purely horizontal.

MDK was a ridiculously responsive game, allowing you to hit a button and jump high and glide back down smoothly anywhere, and that mechanic was used to ascend and descend through levels that had multiple vertical areas. Heck, you could even ride sleds through high speed portions of the game. You could scope in and observe behavior of mobs from across the map, and head shot them. The animation of mobs in MDK was much smoother and dynamic as well - I don't think Doom compares favorably in technology to MDK.

Doom is a classic, but the game play mechanics and visuals were only incremental improvements on Wolfenstein 3D. id software games were rather blocky and jerky in animation until much faster processors and dedicated graphics hardware became available.

GRECOROMANGRABASS fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 23, 2021

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

MDK was very cool at the time, I remember being impressed with it's graphics for sure. But I really loved Shiny's Sacrifice years later. I mean.. it wasn't really terribly visually impressive as far as I remember, but it's still one of my favorites I guess!

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Is it possible for a user defined fan curve in MSI Afterburner to be causing a faint clicking sound to occur with the fans in my MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X?

I ask because when I leave the fan profile on, and the fans hit about 30% I can sometimes hear a clicking sound. If I turn the user fan profile off and just manually set the fans to run at 30%, there is no clicking sound. If I don't manually set a curve and I set the fans to just run on their factory settings, I also never hear the clicking sound.

It doesn't appear to be a serious problem or effect performance, once the fans really get going the clicking sound never happens regardless of how I have setup the fan profile. It's still odd though and I am wondering if anyone here has experienced something like this before?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

threeagainstfour posted:

Is it possible for a user defined fan curve in MSI Afterburner to be causing a faint clicking sound to occur with the fans in my MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X?

I ask because when I leave the fan profile on, and the fans hit about 30% I can sometimes hear a clicking sound. If I turn the user fan profile off and just manually set the fans to run at 30%, there is no clicking sound. If I don't manually set a curve and I set the fans to just run on their factory settings, I also never hear the clicking sound.

It doesn't appear to be a serious problem or effect performance, once the fans really get going the clicking sound never happens regardless of how I have setup the fan profile. It's still odd though and I am wondering if anyone here has experienced something like this before?

wait you mean this isn't the early fps megathread

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Excellent.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

threeagainstfour posted:

I would check for a wire or something touching the fanblades. That is a scenario that you may only hear at low rpms but gets drowned out or synchronized with other sounds at higher rpms

The whole manual vs auto however makes no sense. 30% is 30%. Can you try monitoring their speed with something like speedfan to see if the different settings are actually doing what they say?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 23, 2021

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
If we're including console graphics, I remember being blown away by a lot of early 360 games. Gears of War just seemed incredible.

For PC though, Half Life 2 was kind of breathtaking. The detail on the world and especially characters + faces was really something else at the time. Although I guess a lot of that is about animation/simulation. On a purely graphical perspective, Mass Effect 2+3 came just as I'd upgraded my video card. I was a student, and I'd get people in to my room just to see them in action.

Now for a real question: what are people's all time favourite GPU benchmarks/tech demos? The Nvidia one with the fairy from around 2002 occupies a very specific bit of my brain for some reason.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

If we're including console graphics, I remember being blown away by a lot of early 360 games. Gears of War just seemed incredible.

For PC though, Half Life 2 was kind of breathtaking. The detail on the world and especially characters + faces was really something else at the time. Although I guess a lot of that is about animation/simulation. On a purely graphical perspective, Mass Effect 2+3 came just as I'd upgraded my video card. I was a student, and I'd get people in to my room just to see them in action.

Now for a real question: what are people's all time favourite GPU benchmarks/tech demos? The Nvidia one with the fairy from around 2002 occupies a very specific bit of my brain for some reason.

Here's a good video of a lot of them, if you've forgotten old favourites https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j01apNq-K2c

I like the Ruby demos because I had a Radeon in high school and it was nice seeing a redhead girl on a GPU.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

MDK was a ridiculously responsive game, allowing you to hit a button and jump high and glide back down smoothly anywhere, and that mechanic was used to ascend and descend through levels that had multiple vertical areas. Heck, you could even ride sleds through high speed portions of the game. You could scope in and observe behavior of mobs from across the map, and head shot them. The animation of mobs in MDK was much smoother and dynamic as well - I don't think Doom compares favorably in technology to MDK.

This is a really cool look at MDK

https://youtu.be/_LbIJdGNQfA

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

threeagainstfour posted:

Fans switching on will click, sure it's not that?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Arivia posted:

Here's a good video of a lot of them, if you've forgotten old favourites https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j01apNq-K2c

I like the Ruby demos because I had a Radeon in high school and it was nice seeing a redhead girl on a GPU.

Man, this owns insanely hard. I'd forgotten how much I looked forward to watching these whenever I got a new (generally pretty bad) graphics card

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

This is a really cool look at MDK

https://youtu.be/_LbIJdGNQfA

Quoting this so I can find it later. MDK is one of my favorite games of all time. The sequel was pretty excellent too, though not nearly as :aaaaa:

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
what's the rule again? v-sync in-game setting vs. nvidia control center?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, well, I'm still a bit :mad: about the fact that at two different occasions I managed to get the 3090FE into my cart and got hosed by the "Choose Another Store" Shuffle. Then it started offering to send it to CVS and UPS Stores. Not a chance in loving hell even if it DID go through would I send a likely-unboxed $1500 GPU to a retail location *other* than the place I bought it from.

Speaking as someone with no Best Buys nearby, I'd have no problem using a UPS Store. CVS would be more sketch.