Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

I won a 10700k in a sweepstakes so im going to build a new PC around it. What GPU is a good pairing for 1440p gaming?

If you're doing 144hz 1440p you might want 3080. For 60hz 3060ti is good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeadlyHalibut posted:

If you're doing 144hz 1440p you might want 3080. For 60hz 3060ti is good enough.

very cool thanks, this is exactly the kind of general advice I was hoping for

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If you want I can benchmark stuff on the 3060ti for you, I have my 1440p monitor hooked up today. Just did 1440/Ultra borderlands 3 and it got 81.26fps on the benchmark. My 2070S had 57.70, so I’m pretty happy with the bump.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im good, thanks for the offer.

this will be replacing a 7700k/1080ti rig that I have a buyer lined up for. Keeping the 1080ti is probably the smart move since its still a good gpu, but then I would have a difficult time selling the rest of the pc and I want those rays

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Somewhat unanticipated side effect of being lucky enough to get a new video card: also needing a new UPS, because my current one can't handle two machines if one of them is carrying a 3080 and I try the fancy graphics. This thing is hungry.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

DeadlyHalibut posted:

I mean

you need a 3080 for 60 Hz RTX (ultra) @ 1440p in CP2077

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

At 1440p a 3080 is still going to give you better results, and depending on the other components in your system, the results might be very noticeable. A 3070 can still get the job done however, and LOL good luck finding any of these cards especially a 3080.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Yeah I've resigned myself to 3080 or bust.

I have a 1440p UW and toyed with the idea of getting a 3060ti but it'd probably feel underpowered pretty soon so I might as well slum it with my 1060 for a while yet. Still got some 2017-2018 games to finish so meh.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Yeah I've resigned myself to 3080 or bust.

I have a 1440p UW and toyed with the idea of getting a 3060ti but it'd probably feel underpowered pretty soon so I might as well slum it with my 1060 for a while yet. Still got some 2017-2018 games to finish so meh.

The 3060ti ain't bad at all. I felt like I was settling when I bought it but now that I'm using it and OCing it I'm very happy with it. Wish it had more VRAM but that's my only complaint. I went from 2070S->3060Ti and it's been a nicer boost than just looking at reviews had me thinking.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The 3060ti ain't bad at all. I felt like I was settling when I bought it but now that I'm using it and OCing it I'm very happy with it. Wish it had more VRAM but that's my only complaint. I went from 2070S->3060Ti and it's been a nicer boost than just looking at reviews had me thinking.

Well now you got me second guessing again! Settle now or later I guess if the prices keep rising. 3060ti:s are hitting €600 retail around here now though so they dont look so hot sadly.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

fknlo posted:

I'm gonna say avoid craigslist. Apparently it's way, way less popular than facebook marketplace and everyone is just offering me $300 for my 1080 ti's. I might say gently caress it and build my own mining rig or something equally stupid.

Aren't you the guy itt who got the 1080ti's from some crackhouse at an incredible deal?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

exquisite tea posted:

At 1440p a 3080 is still going to give you better results, and depending on the other components in your system, the results might be very noticeable. A 3070 can still get the job done however, and LOL good luck finding any of these cards especially a 3080.

Yeah I'm glad that I got the 3080 and didn't get a monitor higher than 1440 yet, I need every bit of that power to just run Cyberpunk RT Ultra with DLSS Quality at like 70FPS.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

pmchem posted:

I mean

That's just depressing. I think I'm just going to pass on that game.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

Aren't you the guy itt who got the 1080ti's from some crackhouse at an incredible deal?

It wasn't a crackhouse but I did get them for $300 each, so yeah.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

enojy posted:

with everything maxed at 1440p and DLSS on Quality, i get dips into the 30s sometimes... with a 3090 FTW3 Ultra and 450w BIOS. :v:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

enojy posted:

FWIW, I played it on a 1070 @ 1440p and enjoyed it very much, don’t skip it if you like the genre

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

enojy posted:

I'm running it on a mix of high/ultra/psycho with quality DLSS at 1440p on a 3060 ti and average 50-60 fps, there's a ton of fine-tuning available

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

pmchem posted:

FWIW, I played it on a 1070 @ 1440p and enjoyed it very much, don’t skip it if you like the genre

Yeah I’m currently doing exactly that on my 1070 but it’s 1440 UW and the game runs fine for me? I’m sure it’s not as pretty as it could be but I have no complaints.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Any goons have real world experience with a 6800/6900xt yet? Prices where I live loving suck and even Zotac/Palit 3080's go for the equivalent of $1100 - not that there are any ever available. I check stock every day or so which obviously means I'll never see a card. 6800xt/6900xt stock seems to be doing much better. They've been in stock for over a week. I could get a (PowerColor) 6900xt today for $1300. Any reason I should hold out for the 3080?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

enojy posted:

I was getting like 50-70 fps with a 2080S at 1440p with DLSS on performance but almost every other option on so you can always turn down a setting or two.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

enojy posted:

60 FPS is still quite fine for a single player game, and it truly does look stunning even without RTX effects

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Any goons have real world experience with a 6800/6900xt yet? Prices where I live loving suck and even Zotac/Palit 3080's go for the equivalent of $1100 - not that there are any ever available. I check stock every day or so which obviously means I'll never see a card. 6800xt/6900xt stock seems to be doing much better. They've been in stock for over a week. I could get a (PowerColor) 6900xt today for $1300. Any reason I should hold out for the 3080?

They’re pretty good GPUs and will kill with a raster workload. That said, Nvidia does kind of rule the high end with ray tracing and DLSS. I guess my concern is if it’s really worth spending that much with an uncertain future for the tech the card is built on. Smarter people may know better though.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nitsuga posted:

They’re pretty good GPUs and will kill with a raster workload. That said, Nvidia does kind of rule the high end with ray tracing and DLSS. I guess my concern is if it’s really worth spending that much with an uncertain future for the tech the card is built on. Smarter people may know better though.

6800 non xt has been in stock more more times than 3070 and 3080 combined over the past 7 days on amazon and newegg
If you want one, now may be your best chance

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Shipon posted:

60 FPS is still quite fine for a single player game, and it truly does look stunning even without RTX effects

RTX is a little, IMO wasted with how great the baked reflections are and the game absolutely benefits from a higher fps with motion blur turned off, using the hardware unboxed settings with DLSS-Quality and rtx off, I'm consistently in the 85fps range on a reference 3070/3900x setup on a 1440UW.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

6800 non xt has been in stock more more times than 3070 and 3080 combined over the past 7 days on amazon and newegg
If you want one, now may be your best chance

I'm lucky enough to be getting on pretty well with my 1650 Super. That said, I do have a newfound love for GPUs, and I definitely jump on the Best Buy stock drops. I even had a 3070 in my cart, but just couldn't pull the trigger. I'm sorry thread, but I can't stop buying old games so I don't know when I'll really need latest and greatest.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

pmchem posted:

I mean

True but to be fair that's a special case and doesn't really reflect usual performance. Also I bet they'll manage to do some performance improvements when they finally get the game patched for goty edition or whatever.

Lately I've played games like Control and Horizon Zero Dawn which both run nice and smooth on ultra 100fps+ with 3080, and would be just fine for 60fps with 3060ti.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
A special case or a portent of things to come?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
CP2077 is just a particularly heavy game to run and I'm not sure it's worth basing your purchasing decisions around one game, and especially one that's been as troublesome as that one is.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Rinkles posted:

A special case or a portent of things to come?

The vast majority of devs are neither going to put the effort into making such an enormously detailed world, nor gently caress up the launch so badly. There were similar issues with TW3 launched: if you insisted on pushing everything to MAXXX it crushed everything out there because CDPR lets you make really silly graphical quality selections if you want (lol HairWorks on everything! Now I get 10fps!).

The takeaways (for me) between it an Control were:

RTX is baller as hell, but it's also possible to get so busy applying it to everything that you needlessly tank performance.
DLSS 2.0 is black magic, but it's not perfect and it is possible to gently caress it up (like how your character model in the equipment screen is blurred to gently caress in CP2077 for no reason).

I think CP2077 is a case of a developer trying to do too much, reaching too far, and not being able to quite pull it off. Maybe with another year of optimization and fine tuning it would (will?) perform better, but right now it's a half-broken game all the way around. Hard to base future projections off that.

AK-47
Jul 10, 2001

Likely picking up a card from Facebook because I just don't have the time or patience to f5, anything I should know to look for or check when purchasing a new card in person. In this case its a Gigabyte Vision OC 8G 3070.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

apropos man posted:

I have a Sapphire RX570 (4GB Nitro+) that I've been using, mainly to drive my TV. Also for the odd bit of 1080p gaming.

A month or two ago it started glitching in and out of a whitenoise pattern (like the HBO logo). Often it will display Windows again and occasionally it will fall back to a green screen until I reboot by manually holding the power button. If I play GTA V it often seems like all is well, until maybe 2 or 5 minutes into gameplay when the game just shits out and dumps me back into Steam. If I just use it to watch YouTube it could be fine for 3 or 4 hours.

I've re-installed Windows 2 or 3 times. I just had the thought that I should strip the air cooler off it tonight and re-apply paste to the die. Will MX-5 suffice? That's all I have to hand.

I've stripped the cooler off a card before, and it should be a half-hour job. Any other ideas what the fault may be, if it's not the paste that's dried out? I'm guessing it's 4 years old.
Try disabling the DHCP. I get HBO-like screen if I have it enabled, I don't use Netflix etc. on my computer so it's fine.

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/disable-hdcp-with-latest-radeon-software-driver/td-p/248602

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Kivi posted:

Try disabling the DHCP. I get HBO-like screen if I have it enabled, I don't use Netflix etc. on my computer so it's fine.

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/disable-hdcp-with-latest-radeon-software-driver/td-p/248602

Looks good. I took the shroud off and repasted the die last night and it's still the same, so I will try that tip tonight when I get home. Cheers.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Cygni posted:

with everything maxed at 1440p and DLSS on Quality, i get dips into the 30s sometimes... with a 3090 FTW3 Ultra and 450w BIOS. :v:

To be fair those dips have a lot more to do with CPU limitation than GPU power. Gamers Nexus have done a bunch of videos of CP performance, and those dips into the 30s (which I also see, on a 3080 with the same settings) are in CPU heavy areas with lots of NPCs and vehicles.

The majority of the time I get 70+, but the dips are there, usually while driving through crowded areas.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CP2077 has too many technical and performance problems to consider it a helpful portent of future graphical performance. Ironic since many people probably upgraded their systems specifically to play it.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

CP2077 has too many technical and performance problems to consider it a helpful portent of future graphical performance. Ironic since many people probably upgraded their systems specifically to play it.

I fell victim into that 100%. Despite my disappointment with the game (and also with the belief that it is only playable with DLSS), I been playing more Gear Tactics since my 1080ti would have frame drops during intense explosions.

Edit- This is not the best use case for my 3070 but eh....

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

AK-47 posted:

Likely picking up a card from Facebook because I just don't have the time or patience to f5, anything I should know to look for or check when purchasing a new card in person. In this case its a Gigabyte Vision OC 8G 3070.

open the box right there if it's sealed to confirm the card is in there, but as long as it is there even if it's DOA you should be able to get a replacement from the manufacturer.

fknlo posted:

It wasn't a crackhouse but I did get them for $300 each, so yeah.

i understand how used part markets work but it definitely is a look to be angry that people are "lowballing" you for exactly what you paid years ago for a 4 year old gpu like you're being wronged.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

AK-47 posted:

I've sold a few video cards through marketplaces during quarantine. None of the buyers ever asked questions - don't be like these guys.

It's always a risk buying second hand electronics this way, but typically I've had good luck. The questions that I would ask when buying online from an individual is how long the item was in use, when they bought the item (I bought a 2080 TI off eBay when people were unloading them before the 3000 series release that crapped out a month later, but it was still under warranty so I got a brand new 2080 TI from MSI that I flipped as soon as I got it back to go toward a 3090), why they're getting rid of it (ideally you'd want to buy from someone knowledgeable who is just selling because they're upgrading), and generally if they've had any issues. For any sale I do I try to have a box and anti-static bags, to seal the fact that I've cared for this equipment well. And always haggle with a price in mind; know the prices on eBay, marketplace, msrp going into any buy.

Oh and try to pay for the item as a good/service through PayPal because that's probably your only way of contesting a payment for a obviously broken component. Keeping these things in mind, I've never had a PC component sold to me that just didn't work or that I felt like I had been ripped off. Usually people who aren't scalping new items and are just selling off components genuinely understand the resell value and take good care of their electronics.

Fuck Man fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 26, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well looks like I finally scored a new card.. 3090.

Had an Asus TUF on order since October (Memory Express in :canada:) but after their dicking around and actually having stock in their physical stores but not shipping a bought/paid for back order, I started looking again. Refreshing stores I finally snagged an in stock MSI 3090 RTX 3090 GAMING X TRIO. Ended up being more than I wanted to spend largely because it's a top end card, but still cheaper than scalpers/Amazon 3rd party for bottom tier cards. I also have had good luck with MSI lately (laptop, mobo) so I don't mind keeping that up. I did like the idea of 2xHDMI ports on the ASUS cards though, although I am sure I'll use DP for my monitor.

In retrospect, I probably should have kept the TUF on order from Memoryexpress on backorder and just flipped it when it came in, but gently caress those guys. Probably be later this summer at this rate.

e: Also props to the 1080ti. That card had some decent life.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

bus hustler posted:

i understand how used part markets work but it definitely is a look to be angry that people are "lowballing" you for exactly what you paid years ago for a 4 year old gpu like you're being wronged.

I'm not angry nor do I feel like I'm being wronged. I'm willing to take quite a bit less than what they can actually go for if I put any effort into selling them but I don't particularly care if I actually sell them. It's just the annoyances of selling things online and I don't have a ton of other things to bitch about at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

exquisite tea posted:

CP was part of my decision to upgrade when I did, and I am happy with the result, on a 3080. It mostly brute forces any optimisation issues and lets me play with all the bells and whistles.

I do feel sorry for the people who were buying 2070s a year ago in prep for it tho. Upgrading specifically for a game is a risky business if the release date has potential to move. I remember a similar situation with Doom 3, loads of people jumped on the GeForce 3 to be ready with pixel shaders, and Doom 3 slipped enough the GeForce 4's were out before the game was. "Slipped" is a bit of a misnomer because id never gave a date until it was ready, and then they kept to that date, but still. Doom 3 was a huge part of the GF3 marketing.