Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

flakeloaf posted:

Besides, that heat has to go somewhere :ohdear:

Yeah, there are a lot of decent reasons not to touch the poop, and I'm not encouraging anyone to do so.

Just pointing out that, so long as profitability is high like it is at present, some not-inconsequential number of people are going to be trying to buy up cards for mining that would otherwise be available for Honest Gamers to purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Cygni posted:

basically anything involved in the delivery of the angry pixies can impact the coil whine, from the wall to the card.

Oh boy, well at least I got amazon prime to play the psu return game, has anyone here gone through the evga.com RMA process for a 30 series?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

You can try over or underclocking; my palit 1080 coil whines with its release vbios.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Coil whine is weird; I only have it in select situations like Resident Evil games. Other than that, I never really hear it. It's hard to test for exhaustively, but man I hate it.

Furmark is pretty good at teasing out coil whine at high load.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

DrDork posted:

Yeah, there are a lot of decent reasons not to touch the poop, and I'm not encouraging anyone to do so.

Just pointing out that, so long as profitability is high like it is at present, some not-inconsequential number of people are going to be trying to buy up cards for mining that would otherwise be available for Honest Gamers to purchase.

That is 100% fair. I'm torn between not giving a poo poo what other people do with the money or the things they buy fairly with it, and feeling very slightly put-out at the scarcity of a luxury computer part that lets me play video games slightly better during a global pandemic that's killed a two million people and is responsible for about a third of our national unemployment rate. So, you know, priorities and all that. Manageably miffed, let's call it.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

You can try over or underclocking; my palit 1080 coil whines with its release vbios.

Just do what I did and get old enough for your ears to not pick up young-people noises such as coil whine, you're welcome

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Tried tweaking the clocks and voltage but no dice.

Yeah furmark is what I'm using, also notice that i can drag the window size and the coil whine will actually change pitch depending on how big the window is.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Yeah furmark is what I'm using, also notice that i can drag the window size and the coil whine will actually change pitch depending on how big the window is.

Have you tried playing a song via this and uploading it to the internet to go viral?

It won't stop the coil whine, but it does sound kinda fun..

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Have you tried playing a song via this and uploading it to the internet to go viral?

It won't stop the coil whine, but it does sound kinda fun..

considered it actually, trying to play the town theme from soul blazer.

I imagine it's not too far off what playing a theremin must be like

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 27, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh poo poo, I might be able to procure an ASUS TUF 3080 through a vendor of ours at work for just a bit over MSRP. Would be paying just under $700 for it. I'm waiting to hear back if they have them in stock now. :pray:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

You could also try setting a frame rate limit to your monitor’s refresh rate, as some games have menus that run at 2000+ FPS which will often make cards whine.

Undervolting makes a big difference for some people, you said you tried tweaking the voltage already but it’d be worth attempting a full scale undervolt if you haven’t already.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you live in an old-rear end apartment like me you could also be getting some interference noise from uneven floors! Helpful if your case has adjustable legs.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Space Racist posted:

You could also try setting a frame rate limit to your monitor’s refresh rate, as some games have menus that run at 2000+ FPS which will often make cards whine.

Undervolting makes a big difference for some people, you said you tried tweaking the voltage already but it’d be worth attempting a full scale undervolt if you haven’t already.

I undervolting exactly what it sounds like? I've only ever used the Nvidia and Intel overclocking tools because I am like baby and do not understand how the magic smoke powers machines

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Or if you live in an old rear end apartment like me, the current from the wall is unreliable garbage. Try getting a UPS and see if it helps.

Also fwiw my 3080FE had coil whine at high framerates at the beginning but it’s gone away now (or at least not as audible). Couldn’t hurt to leave Furmark on for a long while to see if it helps.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Space Racist posted:

While gaming it's a non issue, it's not loud enough to overtake my speakers, it's while I'm just dicking around in windows browsing the internet, with all the fans in my pc off, and sure I can crank the case fans and it's less noticeable but still noticeable enough.

I haven't tried undervolting wouldn't that be gimping the card's performance?

Twerkdad posted:

Or if you live in an old rear end apartment like me, the current from the wall is unreliable garbage. Try getting a UPS and see if it helps.

Also fwiw my 3080FE had coil whine at high framerates at the beginning but it’s gone away now (or at least not as audible). Couldn’t hurt to leave Furmark on for a long while to see if it helps.

I live in the country and I couldn't really say what the quality of the power is, it's reliable aside from the occasional power outage that hits the area, never had brown out in 10 years afaik.

That's my current plan along with waiting for the psu to come

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 27, 2021

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I undervolting exactly what it sounds like? I've only ever used the Nvidia and Intel overclocking tools because I am like baby and do not understand how the magic smoke powers machines

It’s basically running the GPU at or near stock clocks while lowering voltage, thus drawing less power and generating less heat with little to no change in performance.

Here’s a pretty good video about it: https://youtu.be/FqpfYTi43TE

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cygni posted:

basically anything involved in the delivery of the angry pixies can impact the coil whine, from the wall to the card.

Yup. Even down to other electronics plugged in on the same circuit in your house can cause coil whine to appear in any other device also connected to that circuit.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

explosivo posted:

Oh poo poo, I might be able to procure an ASUS TUF 3080 through a vendor of ours at work for just a bit over MSRP. Would be paying just under $700 for it. I'm waiting to hear back if they have them in stock now. :pray:

The lowest those cards ever sold for was $699, so if you're getting one now for that price (current MSRP $850)--let alone less than that--you're getting a hell of a deal.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DrDork posted:

The lowest those cards ever sold for was $699, so if you're getting one now for that price (current MSRP $850)--let alone less than that--you're getting a hell of a deal.

Okay I thought so.. the guy said there'd be a 3% markup which I scoffed at because even still compared to current prices that would be a no-brainer, but when he came with the $686 price I couldn't believe it. Still not convinced it's not too good to be true but man that would kick rear end. The head of our IT dept is the one who has the vendor hookup and they were able to get him a 3090 so I know it CAN be done, so fingers crossed.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

well drat, tried undervolting to 1000mv at 2008MHz seems to have dropped my temps by like 3 degrees, still got that coil whine though.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 27, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

explosivo posted:

Okay I thought so.. the guy said there'd be a 3% markup which I scoffed at because even still compared to current prices that would be a no-brainer, but when he came with the $686 price I couldn't believe it. Still not convinced it's not too good to be true but man that would kick rear end. The head of our IT dept is the one who has the vendor hookup and they were able to get him a 3090 so I know it CAN be done, so fingers crossed.

Quit your job and flip GPUs full time

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

explosivo posted:

Double check that it’s not a 3070 with a very similar part number.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

hobbesmaster posted:

Double check that it’s not a 3070 with a very similar part number.

I had this thought too. If they do get back to me I'll definitely have to verify.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

So if a card is for sure coil whining, could the issue still be the psu? just broke out a mostly used roll of paper towels and was able to for sure pinpoint the sound to the gpu.

It's most likely your GPU. Pretty much all of them exhibit coil whine these days, some louder than others.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Either undervolting or doing furmark burn-in for the last 8 hours may have fixed the whine while idling thing, it still does it in pbr donut test in furmark, but I can live with it doing it in games as long as it's not doing it in windows while it's quiet, but I'm sure that as soon as I press submit reply it'll start up again.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Either undervolting or doing furmark burn-in for the last 8 hours may have fixed the whine while idling thing, it still does it in pbr donut test in furmark, but I can live with it doing it in games as long as it's not doing it in windows while it's quiet, but I'm sure that as soon as I press submit reply it'll start up again.

What power plan settings do you have in the NCP and in Windows? If they’re set to high performance, try setting them to balanced (or ‘Normal’ I think in NCP).

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Normal in Nvidia control panel, high perf in windows, I'll try balanced, whine still doesn't seem to be back.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 27, 2021

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

explosivo posted:

The lowest MSRP on any 3080 since launch has been $699. As others have said, it could be a 3070 he's miss-quoting you, or he actually means he'll sell it to you at 3% over their cost. It wouldn't surprise me if cost to retailers for a $700 card is ~$670, which would both about meet the 3%/$686 number and match with the general bitching we've seen about thin profit margins.

Either way, if it's a 3080 buy that immediately. If it's a 3070...at $686 it's not even a bad price (MSRP is $650 and they're hard to find).

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/scalpers-have-sold-50000-nvidia-rtx-3000-gpus-through-ebay-stockx

quote:

It’s no secret the RTX 3000 graphics cards are getting resold at insane prices. However, a Chicago-based data engineer named Michael Driscoll has been tracking sales on eBay using a computer script to understand the full scope of the scalping.

On Tuesday, he provided an update on the RTX 3000 sales after previously reporting scalpers had sold 15,224 units on eBay back in early December. The number has since shot up to 39,064 units across all RTX models from the 3060 Ti to 3090.

In addition, Driscoll has been tracking the RTX 3000 sales on StockX, a site best known for reselling hard-to-find sneakers from Nike and Adidas. According to his computer script, StockX has helped scalpers sell 10,616 units.

Taken together, 49,680 RTX 3000 GPUs were sold on both sites, raking in $61.5 million in sales. Driscoll estimates $15.2 million was made in profit for the scalpers while another $6.8 million went to eBay and StockX. “In the case of all four RTX 30 series, there was a sudden surge in sales between Christmas and shortly after the new year,” he said.

mA fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 28, 2021

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
So I've had my evga 3080 xc3 gaming black since about 10 November and I just want to talk about it a bit. My other specs are Ryzen 3600 and 16gb ram, and 2 ssd's for games. I can't hear any noise from my card at all. it runs at 40-65 (40 degrees idle right now)

I don't really overclock it, I have MSI afterburner and have a saved OC setting of +139 core +150 memory, and apply it sometimes and sometimes not. I haven't tested higher overclocks, I don't really care too much. Anyway it is good, and I like it, and I can finally play FPS games on my 1440p@144hz monitor. BUT. I can't play anything at 144hz on high settings, really. Here are a couple of figures I get:

Hitman 2, max, 90 fps
COD: blops cold war: 110 or so with ray-tracing off and about 70 with it on (I can't remember, but this is about right), otherwise most settings are max but I think I may have turned one or two down.

On the other hand, sekiro couldn't get over 100FPS at 480p on my 980 card, so this is a massive improvement! I also just plain couldn't play FPS games at 1440p after upgrading my monitor from 1920x1200. But I just want to point out that you can't run everything on max at 1440p even with the 3080. It's a good card! I like it! But I also think ray-tracing is pretty much a scam i.e. not worth buying a card for. If you have a 10 or 20 series and you get decent FPS with it (over 60 in my opinion) then don't upgrade.

Also I just plain cannot notice any FPS increases over about 60 or 70, even with my 144hz monitor. I couldn't notice them before but I also never had a 144hz monitor before. I do try to get my FPS as high as possible for multiplayer FPS's, on the off-chance that an FPS increase I don't notice, will still make me play better. But I really can't tell if you ask me.

Also: g-sync on/off is absolutely not 'night and day'.

I'm writing this in the hopes that it makes some people stop panicking and trying to buy a card, and realise that what they have might be good enough already. But I can say for sure that my 980 was not cutting it with a 1440p screen.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Less Fat Luke posted:

Just do what I did and get old enough for your ears to not pick up young-people noises such as coil whine, you're welcome

I'll get another motorbike in summer and toss the earplugs. Silence here I come!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-perfor...t-off-settings/

quote:

A lot of PC gamers were worried about The Medium the moment Bloober Team revealed its official PC system requirements. After all, and instead of targeting 60fps gaming, those requirements targeted 30fps gaming. And, similar to Bloober’s previous game, Blair Witch, The Medium has major performance/optimization issues on the PC right now.

Before continuing though, it’s worth mentioning the PC system we used for these initial tests. As usual, we used an Intel i9 9900K with 16GB of DDR4/3800Mhz, and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Founder’s Edition. We also used Windows 10 64-bit, and the latest version of the official GeForce drivers.

The Medium uses both Ray Tracing and DLSS, and NVIDIA has provided us with a review code for it. However, and even without any Ray Tracing effects, the game cannot run smoothly on NVIDIA’s high-end GPU, the RTX3080.

For starters, the game suffers from major stuttering issues. Even though we’ve installed the game on an SSD 970 PRO NVMe M.2, we had major stutters in each and every room. These stutters are so annoying that they will undoubtedly put off a lot of PC gamers.

And then we come to the game’s performance. There are numerous scenes in which The Medium drops below 60fps on the NVIDIA GeForce RTX3080, even at 1080p/High settings and without any Ray Tracing effects. We seriously don’t know what’s going on here. What we do know is that the game’s graphics do not justify these ridiculously high PC requirements. Again, these underwhelming performance numbers are WITHOUT Ray Tracing.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Typical Bloober Team!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Digital Foundry found that the game didn't serve the frames in the right sequence or something crazy like that, but they let the devs know. Hopefully it's sorted before release.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

A goon backed out of that 3080 I mentioned earlier, so it's up on the market!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957215

Also if there's any interest I have a ~Newegg Shuffle~ for this guy: https://www.newegg.com/zotac-geforce-rtx-3070-zt-a30700h-10p/p/N82E16814500505?Item=N82E16814500505

Expires in a few hours so let me know if ya want it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just sold my old 1060 6 GB for $250, what is even happening

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just sold my old 1060 6 GB for $250, what is even happening

We're seeing the strangulation of supply at a time of demand the industry hasn't seen in a decade plus. I seriously wonder how much my Vega Frontier Edition with a custom heatsink/fan would fetch, but I'm not about to list it. What would I replace it with?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hasturtium posted:

We're seeing the strangulation of supply at a time of demand the industry hasn't seen in a decade plus. I seriously wonder how much my Vega Frontier Edition with a custom heatsink/fan would fetch, but I'm not about to list it. What would I replace it with?
Right, I was able to pull the card out of my old PC, but if you are not looking for an immediate replacement it's probably better to wait until the insanity passes a bit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I was going to put my 1080ti in Mrs Slidebites pc when i get my ampre next week (shes still chugging along with a 780gtx in her 2500k) but man, i might end up selling it.

Oh, found an in box voodoo 5500agp in my garage lol. Too bad its agp!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

slidebite posted:

I was going to put my 1080ti in Mrs Slidebites pc when i get my ampre next week (shes still chugging along with a 780gtx in her 2500k) but man, i might end up selling it.

Oh, found an in box voodoo 5500agp in my garage lol. Too bad its agp!

Those fetch real money these days. No kidding.