Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Doctor Nutt posted:

Oh I see. I haven't had a single notification from them myself and I signed up for several of their upcoming cards (back in November).

It was 4 (almost 5) months before I got auto notification from EVGA; I can't say if that's how long it will be for you but assuming you signed up in the correct place it's entirely possible you haven't reached the top of the queue just yet but could be shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is it cause my GPU is old (970), or do all computers not have HDMI CEC? I just want the TV to turn on with the PC.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Is it cause my GPU is old (970), or do all computers not have HDMI CEC? I just want the TV to turn on with the PC.

Not really. The market for that is small enough that they don't bother including CEC.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

mA posted:

But do they really? 3090s are selling out instantly too. Regardless, you'll need a bot/discord-alerts, free time to F5, and a lot of luck to score a 3080/90.

Past few BB drops the 3090s hung around for far longer than the 3080s (we are talking about seconds vs minutes here). There is naturally going to be far less demand for them since the 3080 is 80%-90% there at half the price.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Rinkles posted:

You can get something like this https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/104/usb-hdmi-cec-adapter and there may be cheaper out there by now.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Khanstant posted:

Hey, I love my 970, I was going to keep it for another year since there's basically no games coming out with good graphics worth playing in the next year (or most of the time, really) anyway. Old thing was just feeling a bit slow for work and stuff too, plus my roommate started building a PC and it flared up my pcitis. I'm just calling it a POS because the 10 series seems like the new "just get this it'll be pretty drat good for a long while yet" whereas 970 is still chugging along in the long while for a little while now. Plus I smoke weed in here, I assume someone desperate enough could scrape resin dust off my cpu heatsink and get high if they wanted.

Just giving you a little grief. :)

I've been rocking out with the 970 and a i7-6700k for 5 years now, and unfortunately I don't see that changing anytime soon due to these shortages.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

FilthyImp posted:

Microcenter CA is currently in the middle of Nerd War between
* People that want to wait in line in chairs to qualify for vouchers

And

* People that support an online, checkin-based line organized by a buttcoin miner who was banned from Microcenter and places people right back on the list after they get cards

The management is poo poo and doesn't care but on the morrow there be blood.

Dallas MC records your ID and address and bans you from buying ANY GPU for 90 days after purchasing one. It's good.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Not getting anything for MSRP for a long time.

We could if you would stop scalping them you god damned ghoul

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

bus hustler posted:

There's no "bad guy" here.

It was us, the profligate consumer, all along

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

paberu posted:

At this rate you should really look for a 3090 if you want a GPU in the near term. Those tend to last way longer during drops. The price is high so it comes down to having performance boost now vs 6 months from now but at half the price.

Unfortunately when I said "a 3080 for MSRP is in the budget" I meant that literally and higher prices than that are not.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

paberu posted:

Past few BB drops the 3090s hung around for far longer than the 3080s (we are talking about seconds vs minutes here).

Assuming your assessment is accurate (which I am skeptical of), what does that mean practically? A 2% chance at a 3080 versus a 4% chance of a 3090? As it stands right now, it's false hope at the end of the day.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mA posted:

Assuming your assessment is accurate (which I am skeptical of), what does that mean practically? A 2% chance at a 3080 versus a 4% chance of a 3090? As it stands right now, it's false hope at the end of the day.

Start entering the newegg shuffle and select the item and the combo version. I have entered every day it had an RTX gpu and won 3 times. It was always the worst priced out of the options like a strix but it seems it would be worth it when the alternative is nothing. I did it with a single newegg account, no shenanigans.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/fuo/d/tustin-free-chairs-micro-center/7278477453.html
I think someone is mad @ chairs

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 26, 2021

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

mA posted:

But do they really? 3090s are selling out instantly too. Regardless, you'll need a bot/discord-alerts, free time to F5, and a lot of luck to score a 3080/90.

I've seen the higher end ones stick around for a few minutes. Apparently, even some of the scalp bots hesitate at dropping over $2k.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

mA posted:

Probably closer to a 20-30% chance for the 3090. During the 2.5 months spent on Discords before finally getting my 3080, I had several opportunities to purchase 3090s with enough time to even chat with friends to talk me down from it. They really are an order of magnitude easier to get, scalpers/bots aren't after them as much as they tie up more resources to buy for a product that doesn't have as high of a consumer demand.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://gizmodo.com/the-rtx-3060-will-be-the-first-of-nvidias-new-graphics-1846365373

The 3060 is just okay but it's getting resizable BAR support first

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

Rinkles posted:

I have a 970 and over display port it turns on my monitor when I turn on the pc. Even my old lovely monitor that couldn't handle sound over hdmi.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1365233659909984260

This is Intel's part on TSMC 7nm. Specs look like they are shooting for the 2060S/3060 sort of tier. The "enthusiast" chiplet part on 10nm Superfin is probably going to the last part in the stack to launch.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zig-Zag posted:

I have a 970 and over display port it turns on my monitor when I turn on the pc. Even my old lovely monitor that couldn't handle sound over hdmi.

Monitor yes, I meant TVs specifically.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Legin Noslen posted:

We could if you would stop scalping them you god damned ghoul

What?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah you jerk! Maybe it was a general complaint not specifically targeting you

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Fauxtool posted:

Yeah you jerk! Maybe it was a general complaint not specifically targeting you

If anything I'd have expected it to be directed at you :shrug:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FilthyImp posted:

Microcenter CA is currently in the middle of Nerd War between
* People that want to wait in line in chairs to qualify for vouchers

And

* People that support an online, checkin-based line organized by a buttcoin miner who was banned from Microcenter and places people right back on the list after they get cards

The management is poo poo and doesn't care but on the morrow there be blood.

I've been trying to brainstorm a way to streamline the line management for the Fairfax Micro Center and the only thing I can think of is an air-gapped system on its own wireless network that you have to check back into every 90 minutes or be automatically shunted to the back of the line. It can't be connected to the internet - you should have to be close enough to the store to connect to the network and update your status as still valid.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
why don't they just take names and phone numbers and IDs and limit purchases to one per person

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've been trying to brainstorm a way to streamline the line management for the Fairfax Micro Center and the only thing I can think of is an air-gapped system on its own wireless network that you have to check back into every 90 minutes or be automatically shunted to the back of the line. It can't be connected to the internet - you should have to be close enough to the store to connect to the network and update your status as still valid.

which side do you think posted this?
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/fuo/d/tustin-free-chairs-micro-center/7278477453.html

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Dell is selling prebuilts with OEM RTX 3080s paired with a 5600x for around $1800. I just checked it out and as of now, they're still in stock and offering March 18 delivery times. The other components and mobo might suck, but it's worth a look if you're desperate

https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/s...=configurations

mA fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 27, 2021

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mA posted:

Dell is selling prebuilts with OEM RTX 3080s for around $1800. I just checked it out and as of now, they're still in stock and offering March 18 delivery times.

6800xt for $200 less is also pretty nice. It might even be an AIB model

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shipon posted:

why don't they just take names and phone numbers and IDs and limit purchases to one per person
They finally *might* start on Monday because corporates been getting loads of angry calls about the same 5 people buying cards every day.

But yeah, ID, 90 day cool off, etc

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that would be nice but you are still looking at weeks before the repeat offenders start getting turned away or run out of family members to drag along.

How early are people showing up for the next morning, midnight?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1365233659909984260

This is Intel's part on TSMC 7nm. Specs look like they are shooting for the 2060S/3060 sort of tier. The "enthusiast" chiplet part on 10nm Superfin is probably going to the last part in the stack to launch.
If true, that's not bad at all, the 3060 range is really the bread and butter of gaming GPUs at least under normal conditions. I thought they'd be screwing around with IGPU levels of performance for a while, but if they can actually deliver the volume, they could easily take a decent chunk out of AMD/Nvidia's market share now.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there a specific function to the type c on this gpu or is it just a extra type c that is nice to have?
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-radeon-rx-6800-xt-gv-r68xtaorus-m-16gc/p/N82E16814932392

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

If true, that's not bad at all, the 3060 range is really the bread and butter of gaming GPUs at least under normal conditions. I thought they'd be screwing around with IGPU levels of performance for a while, but if they can actually deliver the volume, they could easily take a decent chunk out of AMD/Nvidia's market share now.

hopefully they'll be cheap

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

is there a specific function to the type c on this gpu or is it just a extra type c that is nice to have?
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-radeon-rx-6800-xt-gv-r68xtaorus-m-16gc/p/N82E16814932392

I think it’s to make connecting VR headsets easier, and may possibly also help for attaching monitors with usb hub/kvm support. The port does have DisplayPort passthrough so it’s not like you’re losing options, it offers more compatibility in fact.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Rinkles posted:

hopefully they'll be cheap

From intel?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1365510272534855686?s=20

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Collateral posted:

From intel?

They have their own fabs

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

It's VirtualLink, a single cable VR standard that is unfortunately basically dead. There was an adaptor in the works for the Vive but since then Valve spun off the Index and HP silently dropped it and now a lot of the URLs for the standard are 404. Nvidia had it on the 20x0 series but dropped it for the 30x0. Pretty funny that AMD added it right after it died.

As it stands it's just a displayport out with a USB 3.1 controller on the card, which is moderately useful for some monitors and docks aimed at laptops

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

intel will be cheaper through the oem because it significantly decreases complexity, thats my hunch

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

mA posted:

Dell is selling prebuilts with OEM RTX 3080s paired with a 5600x for around $1800. I just checked it out and as of now, they're still in stock and offering March 18 delivery times. The other components and mobo might suck, but it's worth a look if you're desperate

These are a pretty good deal actually. What are 3080s going for? $1500?

5600x
32GB
1TB m.2
3 year extended warranty for $2500? allegedly in your hands before 4/1?

May buy a few for work

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

bus hustler posted:

These are a pretty good deal actually. What are 3080s going for? $1500?

5600x
32GB
1TB m.2
3 year extended warranty for $2500? allegedly in your hands before 4/1?

May buy a few for work

Are they using +12V only mobos and PSUs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Palladium posted:

Are they using +12V only mobos and PSUs

I don't think so, the picture of the motherboard doesn't show the 10 pin connector.