Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Guys I got my hand on a 3070 for retail price without even waiting :smug:

Only had to spend 3600$ on a prebuilt to get it

Luckily I could customize most components, so I got pretty close to what I wanted to build myself anyway

Gonna be loving amazing after years and years stuck with a gtx 1050 laptop with thermal throttling issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Jesus loving Christ $3600

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
It's for work so I had the excuse of needing it, plus I'm in scandinavia so the price is probably inflated

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Greenplastic posted:

It's for work so I had the excuse of needing it, plus I'm in scandinavia so the price is probably inflated

Did you also have the excuse to expense it? Because that'd be peak :pcgaming:

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Yup, I'll be getting back the the 1/5 that is VAT, and can write off the rest!!!

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Guy at work wants to buy my 1080ti for £650

Strongly considering it, but it'll mean I won't have any gaming on this PC until the whole thing is back to normal in 2025 or so

Jesus Christ

I felt smug selling my 1080Ti for ~60% of it's MSRP after 3.5 years of use but we're in weird times

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It's 2021, and GPUs are now an investment asset. :psyduck:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
The fact that I could sell my 2 year old 1070ti for more than I bought it for brand new is absolutely mental.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Warmachine posted:

I just Ebayed a GTX 950 for $145. MSRP was $159 I think, 4 years ago.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

bobfather posted:

I just Ebayed a GTX 950 for $145. MSRP was $159 I think, 4 years ago.

I sold a $1400 2080ti for about the same amount, leaving the net cost of my 3090 after “trade in” at ~$200.

I sold its predecessor, a 1080 non Ti that was collecting dust in the basement for two+ years for $350.

It’s a good time to have an old GPU to sell.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Warmachine posted:

speculation is not investment

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Cygni posted:

Companies aren’t gonna idle/fire the hundreds of people they have on staff to develop, design, market, and release products just because the current products are selling better than expected. New products are gonna keep coming on roughly the regular cadence, see: the 3050 Mobiles and 3080 Tis that will be launched this month.

Geemer posted:

How are they supposed to get the new mining rate limited cards out later this month if they can't release new products?
Just swapping 'em in with the same product numbers is gonna be terrible for everyone.

I know I know. Just so tired of seeing 2-3x msrp scalped poo poo everywhere. I'd really like something similar performance to my current pascal card that doesn't dump nearly 300w of hot air in to the room.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Card makers also don't really need nerds on forums defending them from frustrated customers making fun of them, especially when they're content to put resources into making Overwatch colored cards that are all going to end up in Chinese crypto farms and not people's computers.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Palladium posted:

Why feel bad about it? At the very least its not going to some scalping/mining fucker.

I dunno. It's not that strange to regret missing out on a windfall, especially if you're not balling out. And you're being a bit presumptuous to believe so strongly that miners weren't already buying a large percentage cards in the Fall.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
I just registered my sweet sweet EVGA Geforce 210. When does the 3080ti step up program open up? I see all the 30xx models but I know the 3080ti isn't out yet. Is it something I need to be mashing to get in que the second it goes live or is registering the same day of release no problem?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

mutata posted:

Card makers also don't really need nerds on forums defending them from frustrated customers making fun of them, especially when they're content to put resources into making Overwatch colored cards that are all going to end up in Chinese crypto farms and not people's computers.

hey if getting mad online at literally every single thing GPU related regardless of whether it really has anything to do with the current shortages or not makes you feel better, knock yourself out

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

speculation is not investment

but you repeat yourself

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Cygni posted:

hey if getting mad online at literally every single thing GPU related regardless of whether it really has anything to do with the current shortages or not makes you feel better, knock yourself out

Complaining in solidarity has a long and storied history among humans! Sorry if it bothers you, but gently caress em. If they have money to glue custom plastic to their cards, they have money to set up better distribution systems that don't favor literal criminals.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

mutata posted:

Complaining in solidarity has a long and storied history among humans! Sorry if it bothers you, but gently caress em. If they have money to glue custom plastic to their cards, they have money to set up better distribution systems that don't favor literal criminals.

if you're such an expert why don't you offer your services to them. almost like there were a ton of supply chain issues last year that all built up to this current mess that aren't easily untangled

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

:rolleyes: I get supply chain issues are part of the problem. But so is distribution. EVGA, for example, is at least trying to sell to actual customers rather than crypto farms.

Sorry that I'm taking this apparently controversial stance of "It's ok to make fun of corporations for marketing new products to me during a historical shortage during which they are knowingly selling directly to criminals and cryptocurrency miners."

So yeah, in other words:

Prescription Combs posted:

Glad they keep launching new products no one can get.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

But don't you see if we complain about these pointless special edition products no-one will ever be able to buy on this internet forum these company's quarterly profits might be affected!

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
This corporate apologist attitude is weird to me. Like I get that businesses need to release new products but it's just very souring/insulting to see new dolled up products hyped when the normal average consumer can't even get poo poo that's been 'out' since release date.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Speaking of supply issues, Linus still hasn't even mailed out my graphics card yet! :argh: (and I did decide to go ahead and build another computer)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i want computer part!!! =O

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

mysteryberto posted:

I just registered my sweet sweet EVGA Geforce 210. When does the 3080ti step up program open up? I see all the 30xx models but I know the 3080ti isn't out yet. Is it something I need to be mashing to get in que the second it goes live or is registering the same day of release no problem?

It should be an option within an hour or so of the 3080ti going on sale, at least that's how the 3080 went. Go ahead and register your card and upload an invoice, then wait for launch to do step up.

Also it's very much worth it to buy the 10 year warranty for $20, which will transfer to your step up card.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

This corporate apologist attitude is weird to me. Like I get that businesses need to release new products but it's just very souring/insulting to see new dolled up products hyped when the normal average consumer can't even get poo poo that's been 'out' since release date.

I mean yes, corporations are not our friends and who ever wants to shake their fist at a big publicly traded company should definitely do so. But it's worth pointing out that these are more demand than supply issues, which is to say that they're making more cards than they ever have before but buying habits have changed massively since the pandemic hit and the nature of these things mean it takes years to ramp up supply to meet demand. But lots of normal average consumers are buying these things - it's why they're going out of stock.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Wait so supply is still the same as last gen? It’s just quarantine+stimulus+crypto which has done it? I was under the impression there was a year of undersupply because of covid precautions and factory shutdowns.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

buglord posted:

Wait so supply is still the same as last gen? It’s just quarantine+stimulus+crypto which has done it? I was under the impression there was a year of undersupply because of covid precautions and factory shutdowns.

According to Nvidia and AMD's financial reports, supply is actually way higher than last gen. They're making more cards than ever.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

buglord posted:

The uptake on Steam hardware surveys is much greater than the 2000 series era and rivals the uptake on the 1000 series era, iirc.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
That’s bananas. Despite reading this thread pretty darn often, I totally never got that.

I almost got held back in the 4th grade in part because of reading comprehension, why do you ask

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I don't think its a "corporate apologist attitude" (lol) to explain what is happening and why you shouldnt pout every time a new toy comes across the PR line. You are way too emotionally invested in a these toys if a company releasing a version in a different color is "insulting" to you. Cmon man, maintain a grip on reality here.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Cygni posted:

I don't think its a "corporate apologist attitude" (lol) to explain what is happening and why you shouldnt pout every time a new toy comes across the PR line. You are way too emotionally invested in a these toys if a company releasing a version in a different color is "insulting" to you. Cmon man, maintain a grip on reality here.

:yikes:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

For the vast majority of us on SomethingAwful, GPUs are simply a luxury commodity item that otherwise have no significant (or shouldn't, at least) impact on our well being. So it seems strange to have such strong opinions on something that probably at least 5 billion people in the world don't even know exists as they go about their daily struggles to simply survive.

Also, a lot of the "specialized" designs are started as concepts well before release, and so if a concept for a new cooler style, etc., is already 50% along, why not go ahead and finish it, release it, and try to get some recognition from the public? If it causes a few to hold off on going with EVGA or whoever because someone decides they really want that style, then a) the people who came up with it, did their job, and b) it ultimately doesn't impact you in the slightest.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Counterpoint: I'm gonna make fun of the video card makers for doing dumb poo poo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

mutata posted:

Counterpoint: I'm gonna make fun of the video card makers for doing dumb poo poo.

Death On Toast
Aug 2, 2006
The better half of the Brothers Douche.

Death On Toast posted:

On a totally unrelated note, I seem to have purchased a GT 210 for some mysterious reason.

GT 210 Step-Up trip report: got in line for a 3090 on April 27th. I figured the 3080 was so backed up that I needn't bother, as I'd just be switching to the 3080 TI anyway (assuming it actually launches close to the rumored dates, which is looking more and more likely). I just got my Step 2 e-mail that says my queue time is up, they're reviewing my invoice, and I should be offered the chance to purchase Soon(TM).

I am now deeply conflicted whether this bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I had heard that the 3090 line was much much shorter. Interesting! The 3090s are just soooo expensive...

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
So over the past week, the GTX 760 I've had since 2014 seems to be dying -- it could still output video, but I was stuck at 800x600, and the video had all these horizontal green lines going across the screen. Device manager said that it had "detected a problem", or something like that, and I tried updating drivers a few times and it could never finish the installation.

So I was willing to accept that, but now that I've waded into the current GPU market I'm suddenly wondering if maaaybe it's a little too early to give up on this thing just yet??? Is there any hope for this card, could it be fixable heating issues? I'd be willing to open it up to apply new thermal paste and give it a good cleaning, if there's even a chance it might be salvageable, or do the symptoms I described mean it's just toast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
EVGA's 3080Ti will likely land at 1299 and 1349 respectively for the XC3 and FTW3. You just have to decide if an extra 12GB of buffer is worth $500 more.

You'll also have a LOT more competition for the 80Ti queue.