Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
I wouldn't say the 970 is overkill for 1080 in the slightest if you like bells and whistles like AA and such. I'm able to max out BF4 (full AA and post processing) with occasional dips to 55 fps. Point is, I'm still getting small dips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Agreed posted:

Just like to reiterate real quickly that a 970 is a worthwhile upgrade for anything less powerful than a GTX 780 with a hell of an overclock. It routinely leaves the 780Ti in the dust in, oh, just about everything, and the price is slammin' :) 1080p is getting kinda complex again thanks to the new console generation; I think a 970 would be a great card for maxing 1080p in most games or getting it damned close in the most demanding titles. For higher resolutions, with all the bullshit going on with some newer games and their goofy memory requirements, it might actually ~kinda be worth waiting to see if some higher memory models come out provided you actually already have a powerful card.

If you're in pressing need of a new graphics card and you don't currently own an R9-290/R9-290X or a 780/780Ti/some flavor of Titan, the GTX 970 is an unbelievable card for the launch price point. Like, daaaaamn.

:drat:

It's still overkill for 99% of titles, even AAA titles. The 960 is probably going to be much more of a reasonable compromise of price/performance.

Maybe I'm just trying to justify my $300 770 from last year, bit it still seems like going from that to a 970 would be kind of a waste.

Hace fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 28, 2014

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

explosivo posted:

God damnit ASUS, just let me give you my money for a 970 already :argh:
Same boat. Ordered the morning after 970 was announced, still have no idea when I'm going to get it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Hace posted:

It's still overkill for 99% of titles, even AAA titles. The 960 is probably going to be much more of a reasonable compromise of price/performance.

Maybe I'm just trying to justify my $300 770 from last year, bit it still seems like going from that to a 970 would be kind of a waste.

No offense at all intended; it does seem you're saving the theory, a bit. By pretty much any measure this is an incredible product at an extraordinarily competitive price point. And, like it or not, there are many games that will tank your framerate on a GTX 680 (OC'd)/GTX 770 even in 1080p. It's just a matter of how you provision your cash for silly poo poo like really nice graphics. The you that bought the 770 last year for $300 would have been the you that buys the 970 this year for a bit more, because the performance gulf is tremendous stock and absolutely amazing when it's overclocked.

Don't buy it for playing Spelunky or Paranautical Activity or (whatever), it's definitely meant for people who quite like shiny poo poo coming at them at a high framerate - but so was the GTX 770, before this product was released.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
For what it's worth, I only got a 770 because I was coming off of a GTX9800 and was feeling really dumb

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I'm gonna chip in as a single screen 1080p user and say that the 970 is awesome, but I wouldn't call it overkill. I can max out everything I throw at it and get playable results but there are dips here and there, so it's not totally bulletproof overkill. It is a very worthy upgrade though, and if you have a 500/600 series card or even lower, you'll notice a hell of a difference.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I'm really excited to see what going from my single Radeon 5850 to dual 970s is like. If the Gigabyte model ever gets back in stock on Amazon, anyway...

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Agreed posted:

Just like to reiterate real quickly that a 970 is a worthwhile upgrade for anything less powerful than a GTX 780 with a hell of an overclock. It routinely leaves the 780Ti in the dust in, oh, just about everything, and the price is slammin' :) 1080p is getting kinda complex again thanks to the new console generation; I think a 970 would be a great card for maxing 1080p in most games or getting it damned close in the most demanding titles. For higher resolutions, with all the bullshit going on with some newer games and their goofy memory requirements, it might actually ~kinda be worth waiting to see if some higher memory models come out provided you actually already have a powerful card.

If you're in pressing need of a new graphics card and you don't currently own an R9-290/R9-290X or a 780/780Ti/some flavor of Titan, the GTX 970 is an unbelievable card for the launch price point. Like, daaaaamn.

The downsampling feature looked like it might be pretty nice on a 1080 display too.

(stop making me want a 970 :argh: )

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Well when is the GTX960 coming out and will it have at least 4GB of VRAM? Honestly I would much rather get a 970 but I want the ASUS model and it's sold out everywhere. I might even just wait to see if one the video card vendors makes a 970 card with 6GB or even 8GB of VRAM since the new consoles are bloating VRAM requirements to stupidly high levels and that's just at 1080p.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Ralith posted:

I'm really excited to see what going from my single Radeon 5850 to dual 970s is like. If the Gigabyte model ever gets back in stock on Amazon, anyway...

Similar boat here, 660ti to SLI 970s. Going to be able to do 3-screen gaming finally. And then when 4k monitors get a bit more reasonable... :getin:

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
What happened with that announcement that AMD was teasing on the 25th?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man it feels good getting that one MSI 970 that Newegg got in stock. Too slow, bitches. :clint:

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Fajita Fiesta posted:

What happened with that announcement that AMD was teasing on the 25th?

OpenCL 2.0 driver support. :lol:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

And they're shipping some cards India's way, can't forget that!

:smith:

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

I cancelled my order for a 970 when I realized all the games I still play...run at 1440p 80+ fps at whatever graphics quality I set them at (typically high/ultra).

Going to see what else is released soon - either a game that "needs" a 970 or maybe a 960/Ti versions.

...I still want a 970 for the "shiny" factor :v:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

dorkanoid posted:

I cancelled my order for a 970 when I realized all the games I still play...run at 1440p 80+ fps at whatever graphics quality I set them at (typically high/ultra).

Going to see what else is released soon - either a game that "needs" a 970 or maybe a 960/Ti versions.

...I still want a 970 for the "shiny" factor :v:

Are you running a 780ti or something? Because in that case, yes, switching to a 970 is unwise.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 28, 2014

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"
I'm having some trouble with my GTX760 in this new build. After a lot of trouble, I am now at a point where my computer will run with the GPU installed (previously, it would not boot because in my UEFI BIOS I had Multi-Monitor Support disabled [N.B. I'm only using one monitor]). I installed the drivers from the CD, and tried it out in a low-end game (Mount and Blade: Warband). Everything went smoothly. However, trying a higher-end game (Metro: Last Light) I struggle to run anything above Low. This leads me to believe that my GPU is not running properly for some reason. I tried to install the most recent drivers (344.11, if I remember correctly), but when I restart my monitor will not receive a signal. I essentially encounter the same issue as before when the PC would not boot with the GPU installed at all. I'm stumped here, and not really sure what to do. Updating to the new drivers causes my PC to not send a signal through the DVI cable between the motherboard port and the monitor. Plugging in the DVI cable to the GPU directly does not work either: I receive no signal in the monitor. I feel like there is some simple solution to this but I am having a lot of trouble. Could anyone offer up some advice on what to do?

e: I'm running Windows 8.1, 64-bit, with an i5 processor and 2x4GB RAM. My only drive right now is my optical drive and a Samsung 840 Evo Pro SSD. I'm waiting on another SATA connector to plug in my 1TB HDD.

McSlaughter fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 28, 2014

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

AirRaid posted:

I'm gonna chip in as a single screen 1080p user and say that the 970 is awesome, but I wouldn't call it overkill. I can max out everything I throw at it and get playable results but there are dips here and there, so it's not totally bulletproof overkill. It is a very worthy upgrade though, and if you have a 500/600 series card or even lower, you'll notice a hell of a difference.

This makes me want to replace my 560ti-448 pretty badly. Games like Insurgency are making my GPU sound like a jet plane. I want to wait until the 960 is released and see how that fares, but man a 970 is so tempting.

How's Zotac doing these days? Back when I bought my current Zotac card they had just been added to the "goon approved" list, and it's been great for 3 years. Has anything changed positively/negatively?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I would also like to hear some anecdotes on Zotac. I have a ref 980 from them coming, as I got sick of trying to get a MSI/Asus/EVGA. My research indicated they are a reliable brand.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
How long does it usually take for Amazon (or newegg, for that matter) to catch up with the orders when a new GPU line comes out like this? I'm surprised they're still having issues after more than a week.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 29, 2014

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Anti-Hero posted:

I would also like to hear some anecdotes on Zotac. I have a ref 980 from them coming, as I got sick of trying to get a MSI/Asus/EVGA. My research indicated they are a reliable brand.

Anecdotal as all hell, but I've had a geforce gtx 750 from them for a few weeks and it's been a dream for 900p gaming. It's audible, but pretty quiet considering it's a low profile model.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them so far.

Kornjaca
Mar 19, 2007

Have to say that I am pretty satisfied with my Gigabyte G1970. I did experience a bit of coil noise, however that was before I installed the drivers. After that no coil noise whatsoever. During idle the card is almost completely soundless, and during load the card does make a bit of noise but nothing that would make me want to advise people not to get it. The temp in idle i about 37~39 and during load 59 degrees. Shits good :dance:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Anti-Hero posted:

I've been running a Zotac GTX 680 with the reference blower from day 1 of release until now with exactly zero issues.

But I was weak and faltered, so I have a MSI 970 in the mail. I don't even know what I'm going to run on it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Icept posted:

But I was weak and faltered, so I have a MSI 970 in the mail. I don't even know what I'm going to run on it.

Everything.

You're going to run everything on it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Update on those insane system requirements from Bethesda for The Evil Within: I really hope that we're seeing a marketing guy talking out of his rear end, but now he's telling people on official forums that a 4GB GTX 760 is definitely going to perform better than a 780 Ti. I'm now leaning more towards "system requirements have no connection to reality", just like Wolfenstein. Both my CPU and GPU were well under the "minimum" spec for Wolf: New Order, but it ran pinned at 60fps without turning down any settings or looking bad.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

GreatGreen posted:

Everything.

You're going to run everything on it.

:getin:

Twerk from Home posted:

Update on those insane system requirements from Bethesda for The Evil Within: I really hope that we're seeing a marketing guy talking out of his rear end, but now he's telling people on official forums that a 4GB GTX 760 is definitely going to perform better than a 780 Ti. I'm now leaning more towards "system requirements have no connection to reality", just like Wolfenstein. Both my CPU and GPU were well under the "minimum" spec for Wolf: New Order, but it ran pinned at 60fps without turning down any settings or looking bad.

Yeah, you can't really trust them either way. Best thing to do is to postpone game purchases until after release and read up, which I guess is especially wise early in a new console life cycle. Also, having some really common (but not cheap/underpowered) hardware seems to be a good bet, as there'll be a huge group of people to lobby the devs on your behalf if the game is really janky.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
Yeah, it's definitely a case of a clueless marketing/PR person. I could see this being the result of them just asking what the devs were running on their workstations and putting that out as the set-in-stone system requirements.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Deuce posted:

Are you running a 780ti or something? Because in that case, yes, switching to a 970 is unwise.

Nope, running a 660 - sure, some games I have to go down to medium/high, but until something I really want to play comes out and plays like crap, I'm good. The next game I buy will probably be Borderlands (I guess only the 700 series cards get that for free?) which I doubt will be a problem.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
We should probably better define what we mean when we say by overkill to be honest.

Agreed posted:

The 970 has exceeded my expectations by quite a bit, although mostly in price. However has it come to light that it is indeed better than a non-reference 780ti? Other than physx, which by the way was another shocker to me.

I dumped my 780ti but probably won't pick up a 970 for a bit. I was expecting a minor downgrade when I do get one, until I SLI'd. Which is cool, but it'd be even cooler if was actually on par or even better than say my former 780ti with just air overclock values (vs a 970 with air overclock). I remember when the first reviews dropped an OC'd one could outrun a 780ti in a few charts I saw but also in those specific benches there are previous results that show how much higher an aftermarket brand was on top the reference 780ti level. But I mean that stuff can start getting janky, so is there new info that the 970 really does beat up on "normal" 780tis?

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I don't see the MSI GTX 980 Twin Frozr listed anywhere for sale. Is it even out?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Eddain posted:

I don't see the MSI GTX 980 Twin Frozr listed anywhere for sale. Is it even out?
There are hardly any non-reference GTX980s out yet. The only one I see is a Gigabyte listed on Newegg for $80 over MSRP.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Eddain posted:

Non-reference 980s are by and large due around the 10th of October. I think only the Gigabyte one is available anywhere.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BurritoJustice posted:

Non-reference 980s are by and large due around the 10th of October. I think only the Gigabyte one is available anywhere.

PCcasegear has the MSI one out on the 1st and the Asus one out on the 8th. I'd be amazed if the US didn't get them at the same time or earlier.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

PCcasegear has the MSI one out on the 1st and the Asus one out on the 8th. I'd be amazed if the US didn't get them at the same time or earlier.

Oh wow serves me for not checking again. Last I checked both the MSI and the ASUS were on the 10th, probably a bit of a guess by the PCCG guys.

Also I dunno about the last bit, PCCG is pretty incredible with stocking. Often they have things before anywhere else in the world. They were the first retailer to list the 900 series, and they commonly get Nanoxia/Phanteks/even corsair cases listed before other sites even have solid details.

Shame the price on the MSI 980 is so batshit extortionate in Aus or I'd buy two.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
So what are the generally accepted quietest coolers? ASUS Strix and MSI Twin Frozr?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BurritoJustice posted:

Oh wow serves me for not checking again. Last I checked both the MSI and the ASUS were on the 10th, probably a bit of a guess by the PCCG guys.

Also I dunno about the last bit, PCCG is pretty incredible with stocking. Often they have things before anywhere else in the world. They were the first retailer to list the 900 series, and they commonly get Nanoxia/Phanteks/even corsair cases listed before other sites even have solid details.

Shame the price on the MSI 980 is so batshit extortionate in Aus or I'd buy two.

As far as I know they're the only Australian retailer that stocks nanoxia and Phanteks products. I think they may have some kind of exclusive distribution deal going on.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

So what are the generally accepted quietest coolers? ASUS Strix and MSI Twin Frozr?

Those two plus the Palit non reference are all very quiet, not quite sure about Gigabyte's.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I got my Asus STRIX 970 on Friday thanks to it happening to ship from a Newegg warehouse near me.

My previous video card was a little GTX 650 (non-Ti), so this thing is a huge beast by comparison. My first challenge was making it even fit in my mATX system. Also it puts out crazy heat compared to that little laptop-graphics-level chip in the 650. I can't even imagine the monstrous heat machines some of you have been running if Maxwell is as much of a revolution in efficiency as everyone has been saying.

My system was taking bizarrely long to POST, but after upgrading the motherboard BIOS everything is working beautifully.

DarkEnigma posted:

I wouldn't say the 970 is overkill for 1080 in the slightest if you like bells and whistles like AA and such. I'm able to max out BF4 (full AA and post processing) with occasional dips to 55 fps. Point is, I'm still getting small dips.

AirRaid posted:

Chiming in to agree. I have a 1080p display and while the 970 is amazing, it doesn't remain steady 60fps in Sleeping Dogs or Star Citizen if all the AA and options are enabled. I don't think people with 1080 displays should be told the 970 is crazy overkill, especially if they stick with a video card as long as I did.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My old card had 250W tdp, and 970 has only like 150W. Can get by with slower spinning case fans now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ihmemies posted:

My old card had 250W tdp, and 970 has only like 150W. Can get by with slower spinning case fans now.

Get a second 970 :getin: