Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
For what it's worth, I just got one of the EVGA ACX 2.0 970s and I can barely hear it. I tried Far Cry 3 for a while with all the settings turned up, and even when it ramped up it was still quieter than my 5870. And this is without the firmware patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Twerk from Home posted:

nVidia had a chance to do that with the 750 Ti and instead they did exactly what AMD did, slot a new part in among the last gen because nobody is going to care about the GTX 900 generation launching with a GTX 940 or 950.

Yeah, it's not that I don't agree with you on the basic point of "holy crap, that is a ton of chips and they should see about fixing that" - and I also agree that marketing isn't exactly AMD's strongest area lately. I just don't think that this is particularly unusual in graphics cards. Too many precedents at this point (including companies that aren't even making cards anymore) to take exception, if you dig it.

Much more critical is where are they going with Tonga, and will it meet market expectations? It kinda seems like their on-the-fly compression algorithm isn't as good as nVidia's, which steals some thunder from the launch (the rest of the thunder was also stolen by nVidia but we've probably been over that). Nonetheless I do think it's the start of a strong design direction if they keep going with it. Kinda curious just how analogous to the 750Ti it'll turn out to be, in the slightly longer run.

If AMD ends up with a situation more analogous to trying to maneuver Bulldozer into something competitive (in this case, by tweaking the poo poo out of the Tahiti XT/XTL design and coming up short of perf targets), well, that's not great. I have a lot of respect and hope for them, though, on the GPU side of things. Nobody was all that impressed with the 750Ti's performance when it launched, either, and it turned into the basis for GM204 a generation later.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 6, 2014

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Agreed posted:

Kinda curious just how analogous to the 750Ti it'll turn out to be, in the slightly longer run.

It would be really great for the market if somehow Tonga XT, or even a bigger chip based on Tonga could come close to GTX 970 performance at $20-40 less.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Twerk from Home posted:

nVidia had a chance to do that with the 750 Ti and instead they did exactly what AMD did, slot a new part in among the last gen because nobody is going to care about the GTX 900 generation launching with a GTX 940 or 950.

If Nvidia had done what AMD had done, they would have called it a 760ti or a 765 or something. Instead the 750ti had lower performance than the 760 and higher performance than the 750, which is exactly what joe consumer browsing newegg would have expected looking at the names. It may have been a newer architecture, but the nomenclature correctly reflected its relative performance to other cards.

Agreed posted:

Nobody was all that impressed with the 750Ti's performance when it launched, either, and it turned into the basis for GM204 a generation later.

That's not how I remember it. Sure there are limits to how excited you can get over an entry level card but I remember eyebrows going up at the performance per watt, and the fact that that efficiency redefined what was possible on systems without a 6pin power connector, or with only one. Then Nvidia released the update that removed the restrictive overclocking limits and people suddenly realised you could overclock the thing like the clappers.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 6, 2014

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Plus, nVidia kinda had a niche there and saw a good opportunity to stunt-launch a card. Production proven, efficient as heck, OEMs come and get 'em. In that sense Tonga is its own sort of stunt launch, but without a clear niche. It's extremely confusing who would actually want a 285, and I think that's your main and substantial critique - getting a little lost in the focus on nomenclature, when really it's just a poor product at that particular tier. They probably just have to eat that and there isn't poo poo they can do about it.

Quick trip down memory lane suggests nVidia was probably tickled shitless to stop making GK107/GK108 cards and swap over to an all-around better option at the same price point for end users. AMD doesn't really have a compelling reason to buy this particular piece of hardware, and launching into such a competitive market can't feel very good. Neither can back-to-back price cuts but when you don't have a product...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Lord Bude posted:

If Nvidia had done what AMD had done, they would have called it a 760ti or a 765 or something. Instead the 750ti had lower performance than the 760 and higher performance than the 750, which is exactly what joe consumer browsing newegg would have expected looking at the names. It may have been a newer architecture, but the nomenclature correctly reflected its relative performance to other cards.

So if the 285 is between the 280 and the 280X, I guess it should actually be named the 280G or something? They already have way too many products and there's no clear step between not having an X, and having an X.

They could have done what nVidia did with the 8800GTS and just called the new card an R9-280, as its replacing the 280 entirely in the stack. That would leave room for the 285X to just be called the 280X as well.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

So if the 285 is between the 280 and the 280X, I guess it should actually be named the 280G or something? They already have way too many products and there's no clear step between not having an X, and having an X.

Then it'd be like nVidia's Tesla-generation with the 275 and 285 :v: There's no winning trying to figure out what the gently caress they're on when coming up with this stuff, honestly, it's much better to just keep price:performance at the forefront at all times and try not to worry about the names as much. Bigger numbers in a name are a good way to get people to overspend unnecessarily. Just ask me!

Agreed fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 6, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

The Lord Bude posted:

It's reasonably common on lower end motherboards. You can solve the issue by getting an external DAC/headphone amp combo, but that is expensive and your headphones may not be worth it. A soundcard is a cheaper option, which should at least substantially reduce the problem, but it's still inside the PC so it may not completely prevent interference.

Also check your motherboard standoffs/mounting screws. I had a couple of loose ones (how I'm not sure, just missed them on assembly I guess) and that was allowing a LOT of noise back into the audio card. Also my computer became much more stable after that :v:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zero VGS posted:

Would anyone know how removing the shroud of an open-air cooler could affect cooling performance? I'm thinking of running two of the Zotac 970s in SLI since they can fit within a Micro ATX board. Maybe I'll just take temps before and after to see.

Have you tried removing the shroud? I'm kinda wondering this myself. The Zotac cards run pretty drat hot.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Timespy posted:

Alright, thanks for the input. I'll see how much it impacts temperature and go from there. Apparently the 660Ti uses ~150W at idle, which is more than I would've thought.

There's no way at all that a 660TI uses 150 watts at IDLE. Maybe the whole system draws that much, but not the card itself. The card is only a 150w card under load. At idle it should be barely 15 watts.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Stanley Pain posted:

Have you tried removing the shroud? I'm kinda wondering this myself. The Zotac cards run pretty drat hot.

I have two MSI cards sitting here, gonna return them to NewEgg and wait for the Zotacs to be in stock. They're in stock at TigerDirect but I hate TD and they have no free shipping either.

Anyway, yeah I'll remove the shrouds when I get them and measure the difference.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So my PC is long overdue for an upgrade (using mid-range AMD parts from 2010 which have held up surprisingly well until now) and I'm looking to replace my motherboard, processor, and graphics card. I've been looking at the MSI R9 280x Gaming 6GB (http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=14-127-786) and it seems pretty solid for the price range. It also has 6gb memory so if there's more crazy poo poo like shadows of mordor coming at us with the next generation of consoles raising the stakes on PC requirements I'll be ready. I know, I've seen you can run the game on ultra without the 6gb in the card, but it would kill my OCD to buy a card that already doesn't meet recommended specs even though they're hyper-inflated horseshit. Beyond that, the performance seemed pretty drat good according to tweaktown benchmarks (http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6323/msi-radeon-r9-280x-6gb-twin-frozr-gaming-overclocked-video-card-review/index.html) which showed it nearly keeping pace with the 290 in certain situations.

I know MSI's 280x is considered decent, what do you guys think about the 6gb variant?

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm running a triple monitor set-up too and I want to make sure this will work with it. Can I use the one HDMI port and two mini display ports for the other 2 monitors alright with hdmi/dvi adapters? I remember finding out the hard way on my current set up that if you had hdmi plugged in it disabled the dvi output on my card and I want to make sure there isn't anything screwy like that with the mini ports (which are new to me!). Basically I have no idea how these newfangled ports work. Thanks.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 6, 2014

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

I have two MSI cards sitting here, gonna return them to NewEgg and wait for the Zotacs to be in stock. They're in stock at TigerDirect but I hate TD and they have no free shipping either.

Anyway, yeah I'll remove the shrouds when I get them and measure the difference.
Just so you know, these things are in a slight supply crunch right now. eBay completed listings on MSI 970s seem to range from $399 to $455.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Stanley Pain posted:

Just for a frame of reference, how hot are we talking?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Rastor posted:

Just so you know, these things are in a slight supply crunch right now. eBay completed listings on MSI 970s seem to range from $399 to $455.

Eh, minus 14% for eBay and Paypal plus shipping plus the fans potentially being hosed and me getting blamed for it... Think I'll use the month Newegg Premier trial for a free return and call it a day. Good looking out though.

Unless anyone here wants to pay me MSRP/shipping/paypal fees and rma them yourself if the fans are wonky, I'd be happy to help a goon out but I'd rather sell both at once.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Ghostpilot posted:

Slightly moreso than your mom. Slightly.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Hakarne posted:

So my PC is long overdue for an upgrade (using mid-range AMD parts from 2010 which have held up surprisingly well until now) and I'm looking to replace my motherboard, processor, and graphics card. I've been looking at the MSI R9 280x Gaming 6G (http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=14-127-786) and it seems pretty solid for the price range. It also has 6gb memory so if there's more crazy poo poo like shadows of mordor coming at us with the next generation of consoles raising the stakes on PC requirements I'll be ready. I know, I've seen you can run the game on ultra without the 6gb in the card, but it would kill my OCD to buy a card that already doesn't meet recommended specs even though they're hyper-inflated horseshit. Beyond that, the performance seemed pretty drat good according to tweaktown benchmarks (http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6323/msi-radeon-r9-280x-6gb-twin-frozr-gaming-overclocked-video-card-review/index.html) which showed it nearly keeping pace with the 290 in certain situations.

I know MSI's 280x is considered decent, what do you guys think about the 6gb variant?

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm running a triple monitor set-up too and I want to make sure this will work with it. Can I use the one HDMI port and two mini display ports for the other 2 monitors alright with hdmi/dvi adapters? I remember finding out the hard way on my current set up that if you had hdmi plugged in it disabled the dvi output on my card and I want to make sure there isn't anything screwy like that with the mini ports (which are new to me!). Basically I have no idea how these newfangled ports work. Thanks.

Paying ~$390 for a 280x is horrible performance per $ and 6GB on that card isn't really going to do you much good. If you want a new video card in that price range get on the GTX 970 bandwagon. It costs less and will certainly outperform the 280x even with 'only' 4GB of ram.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Newegg sent me an email saying the MSI GTX 980 Gaming was in stock, but by the time I saw it and went to the website they were already out of stock.

Wonder how many people are just buying them to resell on eBay for a profit.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Does the MSI 970 display port work with daisy changing video devices? I assume it will, just need a display port splitter.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

r0ck0 posted:

Does the MSI 970 display port work with daisy changing video devices? I assume it will, just need a display port splitter.

Yes, its DP 1.2 port(s) support(s) MST. But as I understand it, each display will count against the 4-display limit on the card. The only MST use that doesn't is a tiled 4K display.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
:siren: Gigabyte 970s are in stock at Newegg. :siren:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
That's weird that http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx970/ has the Gigabyte 970 with two different SKUs. I thought they only made one card?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

That's weird that http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx970/ has the Gigabyte 970 with two different SKUs. I thought they only made one card?

The gaming version has the badass overkill fans (they can handle 3x the voltage I think). It's got 3 days. The regular version is only 2 fans.

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010

Richard M Nixon posted:

:siren: Gigabyte 970s are in stock at Newegg. :siren:

Seriously, thanks for the update. Was hoping I'd be able to grab this exact version!

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Uh, both of the Gigabyte 970 cards have 3 fans so how are they different besides the price?

I would get one of those cards but I'm afraid it might not fit in my Carbide 400R.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

spasticColon posted:

Uh, both of the Gigabyte 970 cards have 3 fans so how are they different besides the price?

I would get one of those cards but I'm afraid it might not fit in my Carbide 400R.

My bad. Looks like the difference is the ability to do 'flex display' and the fact that the gaming models are the higher quality chips from the binning they do. The cooler does look slightly different but it may just be cosmetic. Both are supposed to be the 600w windforce.

Measure to see if it'll fit.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Richard M Nixon posted:

My bad. Looks like the difference is the ability to do 'flex display' and the fact that the gaming models are the higher quality chips from the binning they do. The cooler does look slightly different but it may just be cosmetic. Both are supposed to be the 600w windforce.

According to PCPartpicker the Carbide 400R can accept up to a 12.52" video card and Gigabyte card is 12.2" should I trust PCpartpicker for these measurements?

Edit: Some sites say 316mm max length video card for the 400R which comes out to 12.44 inches. So I'm thinking it would fit but barely. The card without the backplate would clear by six millimeters the one with the backplate would clear by only four millimeters. :psyduck:

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 7, 2014

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

spasticColon posted:

According to PCPartpicker the Carbide 400R can accept up to a 12.52" video card and Gigabyte card is 12.2" should I trust PCpartpicker for these measurements?

Edit: Some sites say 316mm max length video card for the 400R which comes out to 12.44 inches. So I'm thinking it would fit but barely. The card without the backplate would clear by six millimeters the one with the backplate would clear by only four millimeters. :psyduck:

We know for certain that the card is 312mm. For your case, the Corsair product page says it supports 318mm cards. So it should fit, albeit narrowly. Worst case, resell the card at-cost or for a slight profit (to the anger of some). Can those lower HDD bays be removed to ease installation?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Richard M Nixon posted:

We know for certain that the card is 312mm. For your case, the Corsair product page says it supports 318mm cards. So it should fit, albeit narrowly. Worst case, resell the card at-cost or for a slight profit (to the anger of some). Can those lower HDD bays be removed to ease installation?

The HDD/SSD trays can be removed but the bay itself cannot. I don't want to take the chance of it not fitting and then I have to try to resell the card. I'll just wait until the MSI or ASUS 970 comes back in stock. Or I might wait and see if the 960 cards will have 4GB of VRAM so they could accommodate for these VRAM hungry console ports.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 7, 2014

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Richard M Nixon posted:

The Gaming model also has the backplate, it looks like the Windforce model does not.

I would pay the minor amount extra and get the Gaming edition for the higher quality chips and the backplate, which looks vastly better than bare PCB.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

spasticColon posted:

The HDD/SSD trays can be removed but the bay itself cannot. I don't want to take the chance of it not fitting and then I have to try to resell the card. I'll just wait until the MSI or ASUS 970 comes back in stock. Or I might wait and see if the 960 cards will have 4GB of VRAM so they could accommodate for these VRAM hungry console ports.

Just for reference, I have the Gigabyte Gaming edition card inside of an H440 with the drive bays still there. The official specs say...

GPU Clearance With HDD Cage: 294mm

And yet it manages to just barely fit in there without removing one of the drive bays.

So, I would say there is a fair chance it will fit in your case.

Edit: drat, meant to edit the other post, not make a second... oh well.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Hakarne posted:

So my PC is long overdue for an upgrade (using mid-range AMD parts from 2010 which have held up surprisingly well until now) and I'm looking to replace my motherboard, processor, and graphics card.

Go to the Parts Picking thread and post what ports your monitors have.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I have a Gigabyte 970 arriving tomorrow from Amazon to replace my aging GTX 470.Took Amazon two weeks and about 9 different emails with changing shipping dates but it's finally almost here! :toot:

Everyone seems pretty stoked upgrading from cards two generations newer than mine, so it should be pretty sweet.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Gwaihir posted:

There's no way at all that a 660TI uses 150 watts at IDLE. Maybe the whole system draws that much, but not the card itself. The card is only a 150w card under load. At idle it should be barely 15 watts.

Yeah, you're right, I misinterpreted the graph I was looking at. That did seem too high to me. 15 W isn't too bad.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:

spasticColon posted:

It fits. (i have both)

Odd that you're worried about it though, the case is loving big.

edit: double-checked, still like 3 cm's+ left, it's a bit closer than i remember when i installed the card, but still the carbide 400R is a loving big case, it has to me among the bigger normal ATX cases out there, so i didn't even consider the fact that it might not fit when i returned my previous card and got the gigabyte gtx 970.
Anyway you can buy without worries.

uaciaut fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Oct 7, 2014

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

PirateDentist posted:

I have a Gigabyte 970 arriving tomorrow from Amazon to replace my aging GTX 470.Took Amazon two weeks and about 9 different emails with changing shipping dates but it's finally almost here! :toot:

Everyone seems pretty stoked upgrading from cards two generations newer than mine, so it should be pretty sweet.

Let me know how it goes. I'm looking at upgrading from a 460. :smith:

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I'm thinking of cancelling my order of the MSI 970 and getting the gigabyte card for its 3 display ports.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostpilot posted:

Depends on how aggressive I am with the fan. 75% Fan duty has them at 70C with a fully open case (There's about a slot of space between the two cards). If I leave the fans on auto they've hit over 80C which is too drat hot for my liking.

I took a look at the shroud and I'm not sure it would help much. The heatsink they're using looks like it just has terrible airflow. Contemplating re-seating it and applying a good TIM. Not sure If I want to bother, might exchange them for something else.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Does ASUS GPU Tweak streaming thing removes load off CPU or somehow otherwise enhances the process, or it is just garbage remake of specialised streaming tools?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I've had nothing but good results from changing TIM on gpus and I recommend it to anybody who wants lower temps. It's also the one time ever where you should buy a TIM that tests well.