Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Depends on the case. Plenty of mITX cases are designed so that an open air GPU can draw fresh air through a vent directly over the fans - bitfenix prodigy, obsidian 250D, Carbide 380t, silverstone RVZ01, and a bunch more.
None of those appear any more ventilated on the side than the SG-07B, so I guess I'll keep my options open then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
man i want to sell my 290x now, i need more fps for my roguelikes.

NOT!

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Gigabyte has a bad reputation from their motherboards, making people cautious about buying a graphics card they make. Also the MSI is quieter because the fans can turn off at idle, which the Gigabyte's fans don't do.

This feature isn't much of an advantage for MSI. The fans may be spinning but I still can't hear my Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 at idle. At all.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hace posted:

Then what do you call a triple 4k setup?

Not Possible*

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

GreatGreen posted:

Gigabyte has a bad reputation from their motherboards, making people cautious about buying a graphics card they make.

This is however irrelevant as long as you're buying an Nvidia card, due to the Greenlight program that forces all graphics card vendors to comply with very strict standards.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Stanley Pain posted:

Not Possible*

* Just build three PCs each to drive one 4K, and solder some wires so your keyboard and mouse all start the same single player game at the same time!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

Not Possible*

A gtx980 actually comes quite close to acceptable 4k performance. You could have 3 of them in a PC. By next generation at this rate I expect to see a single gpu card that can do acceptable 4k framerates.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The Lord Bude posted:

A gtx980 actually comes quite close to acceptable 4k performance. You could have 3 of them in a PC. By next generation at this rate I expect to see a single gpu card that can do acceptable 4k framerates.

You can have three in a PC but 3-way SLI still scales very poorly right? I'd love if anyone would make the effort to actually figure out how to make SLI/crossfire performance scale, but I get the feeling it's more about how niche of a case SLI is in real life and less about actual limitations. Hell, Microsoft got giant performance gains from DirectX that they missed out on for years because :effort:

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Yeah, next gen GPUs and DX12 should help get respectable 4K performance though GM200 SLI could do it.

DX12 seems to do for 11 what 10 did for 9.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Lord Bude posted:

Comes "close" but doesn't actually hit ;).

Good luck on getting near the linear SLI scaling required with 3 GPUs. Give it another year or two.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

Comes "close" but doesn't actually hit ;).

Good luck on getting near the linear SLI scaling required with 3 GPUs. Give it another year or two.

I am of course speaking academically. I'd never suggest someone actually do this lunacy. 20 year old me would totally have done something like that

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Extremely relevant video from LinusTechTips on this exact topic, multiple 980s at 4k resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnS0xWtoRzk

The TL;DR is that some games scale EXTREMELY well, and get almost linear scaling as you add more cards. Some games don't scale at all(Watch Dogs), and some only get good benefits from the 2nd card and not as much from the 3rd and 4th cards. Single card is best, if you absolutely have to 2-way SLI can be worth it, 3 and 4 cards will almost never be worth it.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
If I am reading correctly, the 780tis will be able to handle most of the upcoming DX 12 features even though they aren't DX 12 cards? I'm trying to decide between SLI 970s/980s or just getting a second 780ti for when I get the ROG Swift.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Incredulous Dylan posted:

If I am reading correctly, the 780tis will be able to handle most of the upcoming DX 12 features even though they aren't DX 12 cards? I'm trying to decide between SLI 970s/980s or just getting a second 780ti for when I get the ROG Swift.

780Ti SLI is a pain in the rear end to power, but if you've got the PSU for it... I mean, you have to know you're essentially throwing good money after bad on the features front, but as long as all you care about is rote performance, a second 780Ti would probably get you to the next generation, though resale is going to continue to dive on them obviously and I wouldn't hold any hope of getting any real money back out of the setup when the next generation does launch.

It's a bit of a catch 22. On the one hand, it is drat near as powerful as a 970/980, at least before they start totally taking off with clocks and it gets left behind. As such it is kind of tempting to try to just double up and reap the performance from that, but with the features the new cards are bringing to the table, I personally don't feel like it's remotely worth it to invest just yet. There will be major dividends later, and right now they're comparatively minor.

But if I were moving up in resolution, it'd be very hard for me not to just say gently caress it and get two 970s because of poor self-control and an ability to rationalize unnecessary things, you see. I feel like I'm doin' pretty good this go-around by not blowing a bunch of cash on something silly and lateral. Haha.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
What should I look for to drive a 3440x1440 display? It seems like a 970 might be a bit borderline?

Will 4GB cards be enough or should I wait for cards with more RAM?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

780Ti SLI is a pain in the rear end to power, but if you've got the PSU for it... I mean, you have to know you're essentially throwing good money after bad on the features front, but as long as all you care about is rote performance, a second 780Ti would probably get you to the next generation, though resale is going to continue to dive on them obviously and I wouldn't hold any hope of getting any real money back out of the setup when the next generation does launch.

It's a bit of a catch 22. On the one hand, it is drat near as powerful as a 970/980, at least before they start totally taking off with clocks and it gets left behind. As such it is kind of tempting to try to just double up and reap the performance from that, but with the features the new cards are bringing to the table, I personally don't feel like it's remotely worth it to invest just yet. There will be major dividends later, and right now they're comparatively minor.

But if I were moving up in resolution, it'd be very hard for me not to just say gently caress it and get two 970s because of poor self-control and an ability to rationalize unnecessary things, you see. I feel like I'm doin' pretty good this go-around by not blowing a bunch of cash on something silly and lateral. Haha.

I know what you mean :). I really am taken with the Swift but with a single 780ti right now I experience noticeable frame drops on Shadow of Mordor when totally maxed out (and it is my favorite game right now). Going to 1440p means I will probably run into a lot of that with all of my games!

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
:siren: MSI Gaming GTX970 are in stock at Newegg! :siren:

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Hot Jam posted:

Thank you! Just purchased one. I was hoping for an Asus Strix but I'll take my chances with MSI. Also, the card is .5 inches shorter and my case can only take 11.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

evensevenone posted:

What should I look for to drive a 3440x1440 display? It seems like a 970 might be a bit borderline?

Will 4GB cards be enough or should I wait for cards with more RAM?

What kind of monitor? Is that one of those superwide monitors?

That's about 4 million pixels so it's roughly double 1080p, a 970 might get it done.

Ended up canceling my order on my 980s. Gonna tough it out and wait for the Classified edition. I just get the feeling that double 8pin is going to give it enough of an edge over reference to be worth the wait. Also, triple bios :)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I know what you mean :). I really am taken with the Swift but with a single 780ti right now I experience noticeable frame drops on Shadow of Mordor when totally maxed out (and it is my favorite game right now). Going to 1440p means I will probably run into a lot of that with all of my games!

Man, I want to get that game, but there is about a zero percent chance I'll do so this generation. I love the idea of forward-looking games but that one's requirements are a little too outside the mean that I'm not really wanting to try to mess with it until I can comfortably max it out. Not willing to spend enough to do it right now, but next card generation it'll probably be one of my first buys. Right now the most demanding title I have on the way or purchased recently is like Metro games Redux, or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games (thanks Swartz for reminding me that I have those and inadvertently causing me to get back into them overnight). I don't expect Borderlands The Pre Sequel to tax this system very much, since I've got a dedicated co-processor for the PhysX bit and the rest ought to be way the hell within the capabilities of a single 780Ti.

Progress tug-of-wars between devs and card makers are really fun at the beginning of a new console generation, and really boring at the end.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Agreed posted:

Man, I want to get that game, but there is about a zero percent chance I'll do so this generation. I love the idea of forward-looking games but that one's requirements are a little too outside the mean that I'm not really wanting to try to mess with it until I can comfortably max it out. Not willing to spend enough to do it right now, but next card generation it'll probably be one of my first buys. Right now the most demanding title I have on the way or purchased recently is like Metro games Redux, or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games (thanks Swartz for reminding me that I have those and inadvertently causing me to get back into them overnight). I don't expect Borderlands The Pre Sequel to tax this system very much, since I've got a dedicated co-processor for the PhysX bit and the rest ought to be way the hell within the capabilities of a single 780Ti.

Progress tug-of-wars between devs and card makers are really fun at the beginning of a new console generation, and really boring at the end.

What res are you running it at? I'm averaging 50+ FPS on the benchmark test for it on my 670 with High to Ultra settings at 1080P, and am not noticing any slowdown, or any issues during gameplay.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

Hot Jam posted:

Ordered mine, too, yayayay. Hope I did it soon enough. Guess maybe I'll be giving Tomb Raider another play through? More Skyrim, of course. The hell else am I supposed to do with this thing other than BF4 and Mordor?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Duck and burger posted:

Ordered mine, too, yayayay. Hope I did it soon enough. Guess maybe I'll be giving Tomb Raider another play through? More Skyrim, of course. The hell else am I supposed to do with this thing other than BF4 and Mordor?

4k kerbal space program :jeb:

You could also try that 4k downsampling on other games or max out the metro games.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Duck and burger posted:

Benchmark

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I would get the MSI 970 but I'm afraid I'll break the fan even if I carefully peel off that sticker. Why doesn't MSI just ship the card without having that stupid sticker on that fan? That just seemed like a bad idea from the start.

Are the 960 cards still coming out at the end of the month? I'm reading on google that they will but I just read an article that the 960 got pushed back to Q1 2015. If that's true then to hell with it I'll be getting a 970 for sure.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Duck and burger posted:

Either Witcher II or obscene downscaling and SSAO in Dark Souls II via GeDoSato.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Duck and burger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mootV7Iqa34

Tweak the tesselation LOD settings so that it streams in real time. :insanitywolf:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

spasticColon posted:

I would get the MSI 970 but I'm afraid I'll break the fan even if I carefully peel off that sticker. Why doesn't MSI just ship the card without having that stupid sticker on that fan? That just seemed like a bad idea from the start.

New batches are being shipped without the sticker, is the word through the grapevine. For what it's worth, I peeled mine off extremely carefully, warming up the adhesive with a blowdryer every now and then for extra paranoia points, and my MSI 970 works like a charm. Fans spin up and stop just like they're supposed to.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Kragger99 posted:

What res are you running it at? I'm averaging 50+ FPS on the benchmark test for it on my 670 with High to Ultra settings at 1080P, and am not noticing any slowdown, or any issues during gameplay.

And I'm getting the same FPS at 1440p on ultra settings, and I have an ancient overclocked Lynnfield i5 driving the GPU. The 6GB VRAM req is only valid at 4K.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I used a hair dryer to peel off the sticker on my 970 and it worked just fine! Fans stop at Idle and turn on just like they should for 3D applications. No noise or anything else weird.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

For anyone wondering about the Zotac 970 cards, my AMP! Omega seems to be running really quiet and cool on every game I've tried maxed out, which is Shadow of Mordor, Witcher II and Tomb Raider.

Ghostsauce
Jun 4, 2005

scared you didnt i lmbo
edit

Ghostsauce fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 4, 2017

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kragger99 posted:

Just 1080p here. Benchmarking put me around 80 but I am also using ultra textures and nvidia shadowplay for Twitch streaming (which normally you don't notice at all performance-wise). What I've noticed in the first area is that looking at the black gate itself is what is often murdering my FPS. It is freaking huge and very detailed even at a distance. I didn't think I would be hitting a wall already with the 780ti but it is a really noticeable slowdown. Im going to run evga precision and see what FPS I am getting there.

Edit: lol, so I have the new EVGA precision tool version and while digging around in its settings to change the OSD and show FPS I found a separate "auto fan" option from the toggle sitting there in the skin. THIS auto fan option was off, even though the auto fan option clearly looks to be on. I turned it on and put on aggressive fan settings and now I'm running around the same spot at 90 FPS. I'm pretty sure this entire time my card has been just heating up at whatever fan options are built into it automatically and hitting the thermal limit. I remember at the end of one of my Twitch streams I even had a multi-second blackout followed by the dreaded purple sheen. What a piece of garbage this tool is. I think because I have been playing mainly older games like TF2 and CS:GO that don't even sweat the card I never noticed this. Thanks thread for the free Nvidia performance boost.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 9, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Senjuro posted:

This feature isn't much of an advantage for MSI. The fans may be spinning but I still can't hear my Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 at idle. At all.

Also, speaking as someone running an MSI 970, I far prefer running my fans constantly at ~60%. They're still practically silent at 70%, too.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Thanks thread for the free Nvidia performance boost.

Yeah that guide was current for (if I recall correctly) version 4 of EVGA Precision X. I don't like how unclear the current fan controls are either in v16. I don't plan to update it, though, because I don't know what features might be coming on the current card generation and it seems dumb to offer conjecture instead of fact in something purporting to be a guide. Sorry you had to encounter the current, somewhat clunky version of the software instead of its previous, streamlined version, I guess, but also glad you got it sorted.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

spasticColon posted:

On Oct 1st MSI said on their forums that "production has already stopped using these stickers" link. Since these haven't been in stock for almost a week in the quantity they were today its possible those of us who purchased today might receive sticker-less cards. At any rate MSI is aware of the issue and will RMA the card if you get a super sticky sticker.

old-timey newspaper gal fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 9, 2014

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
#ISurvivedTheSticker

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
This model seems to consistently be in stock, any major issues? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487076

ellic
Apr 28, 2009

I never asked for this

Grimey Drawer

Hot Jam posted:

On Oct 1st MSI said on their forums that "production has already stopped using these stickers" link. Since these haven't been in stock for almost a week in the quantity they were today its possible those of us who purchased today might receive sticker-less cards. At any rate MSI is aware of the issue and will RMA the card if you get a super sticky sticker.

Wasn't the sticker just making an underlying problem more prevalent? Was there any more investigation about that or was the sticker entirely to blame and now without a sticker we are worry free to pick up the MSI 970?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Vectorwulf posted:

This model seems to consistently be in stock, any major issues? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487076
I believe the consensus is that EVGA majorly hosed up ACX 2.0 so as of right now it's in the "do not buy" category. I could be wrong though: I tend to skim this thread rather inattentively.