Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Newegg has the non-gaming Gigabyte 970 in stock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125685

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
Whoever suggested using a hairdryer to help remove MSI's overclocked sticker thank you. This works extremely well and I would recommend this method to others.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
The MSI 980 Gaming is 279mm long right? Amazon just added a listing for it and it says 345mm, which doesn't match Newegg or the official MSI product page.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Well 2 hours later I got my 980 working :) I only have 1 installed right now and haven't even started overclocking it, my framerate went up in the lovely game known as MW:0. I also managed to find my mystery leak. I had one of those cube thingies for my water temp probe and it had cracked. There was just a tiny drip but it was enough that it got removed. I'll update with pics later.

Hmm, this thing actually is running at around 85C with the titan cooler. Looks like water might be a legit option.

Edit2: adding the second card renders my pc at black screen.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 12, 2014

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Anyone with a new 970/980 should probably check out The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Looks like a UE4 tech demo it's UE3 and puts Skyrim's artists to complete shame.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

There was a BIOS update for my MSI Gaming 4G 970 today - v125 to v126 - but I'm not able to find any changelog.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

By the way, here's some weirdness I noticed in overclocking/power limit:

The first run is Furmark, 1440p, no AA; got about 50 fps.

Second run is same, but 8x MSAA; 16 fps, didn't max out power/temp in any way.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Drivers check for Furmark (it's considered a "power virus") and throttle it automatically after a short while. I'm not sure if that's what happened there, but it could be.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

Drivers check for Furmark (it's considered a "power virus") and throttle it automatically after a short while. I'm not sure if that's what happened there, but it could be.

This was from a fresh boot - I can run about a million non-AA runs with no problems.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Might be pixel-push limited, then. MSAA puts a huge load on ROPS proportional to the number of pixels.

For sanity's sake, I ran a similar test on my 680. 1920x1200 without AA pushes me to 112% power, and with 8x MSAA it doesn't crack 90%. So I'd call it plausible that MSAA puts the bottleneck somewhere besides the power target.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Jago posted:

alternatively; they are so effective at producing these cores that they don't have enough to cut down.

Even better, that'd mean they'd have to fake-cutdown completely fine cores that are easier to overclock

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

That degree of artificial segmentation away from the mid-range, good performance market is something nVidia hasn't actually had to do in a while. They ended up over-committing to the manufacture of GK110 high end chips for HPC and that's what lead to a really late and weirdly staggered launch for the GK110 cards, if I recall correctly (Titan got its name from the Titan supercomputer, right?).

I'd delay the 960 too if I were them - 28nm is well figured out, yields should be great, and people are buying the poo poo out of GTX 970s/980s. Not a lot forcing their hand at this very moment, not surprised if they decide to pause for a bit and run on current production. Making the best of their fabrication process and keeping the in-production chip count low has been one element contributing to nV's success, especially in the last few generations, when compared to AMD. It can't feel great to still be making Pitcairn based cards.

I would be surprised to see GM204 cut down very early in this product cycle. Still looks like it's a better idea to keep turning them into high-margin cards instead of scraping for the lower end. That it allows AMD a little breathing room for a bit is fine by me, too.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

dorkanoid posted:

There was a BIOS update for my MSI Gaming 4G 970 today - v125 to v126 - but I'm not able to find any changelog.

I found a mention of what it 'fixes' on that unofficial MSI forum - it's a Win 8.1 compatibility/stability fix. No other details are given.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 12, 2014

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
why do i only get 10000 in firestorm with 290x?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

cisco privilege posted:

puts Skyrim's artists to complete shame.

So do most of the mods on Nexus, what's your point? :v:

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
My first test of the gigabyte 970 was an hour in shadows of mordor at ultra. gently caress it's beautiful. After that session, I noticed my secondary monitor had a bunch of green twinkling dots on the screen. It progressed to a very intense shimmer with lines streaking across the screen. I rebooted and saw the same thing. Cables were seated properly. Temps were at idle levels. After a while, it settled down and looked fine. I've done more gaming since then and the system has been on for 48 hours at this point. No further errors. What could have caused the issue? Only on the secondary monitor and only when both were plugged in...

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I found a mention of what it 'fixes' on that unofficial MSI forum - it's a Win 8.1 compatibility/stability fix. No other details are given.

I updated earlier today and have only gotten trouble for it. Weird crashes, minute-long hangs in monitoring applications. Neither GPU-Z nor HWMonitor are showing any info about the 970's fans anymore. So now I get to go ask the MSI forums how to go about downgrading back to v125.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I hope it fixes the particular instability I've been experiencing then :v:

Blizzard games (in the two cases so far) trigger a screen freeze leading to screens going into power save mode, necessitating a cold boot to "recover" :(

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

dorkanoid posted:

I hope it fixes the particular instability I've been experiencing then :v:

Blizzard games (in the two cases so far) trigger a screen freeze leading to screens going into power save mode, necessitating a cold boot to "recover" :(

I wouldn't recommend installing it - see my post above yours.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Instant Grat posted:

I wouldn't recommend installing it - see my post above yours.

Too late! However it's worked very well for me :D (So far)

(I updated earlier today too, so it's been through hours of gaming already)

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

dorkanoid posted:

Too late! However it's worked very well for me :D (So far)

(I updated earlier today too, so it's been through hours of gaming already)

Huh - maybe something else is wrong on my end then :ohdear:

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Instant Grat posted:

I used the occasion to do a full driver cleanup and reinstall (as the BIOS update refused to start with drivers installed), might have fixed other stuff that way!

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm now really tempted to just save some money and get a 4GB 760 for around $200 because I'm tired of waiting for the ASUS or MSI 970 to come back in stock. Yes I know the 760 isn't much faster than my current 660Ti 2GB but these newer games don't need a faster GPU at 1080p they just want more VRAM.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Shiny new architecture for $330 that is as fast as a pricier 290X while drawing significantly less power is selling too well?

You don't say.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:

spasticColon posted:

I'm now really tempted to just save some money and get a 4GB 760 for around $200 because I'm tired of waiting for the ASUS or MSI 970 to come back in stock. Yes I know the 760 isn't much faster than my current 660Ti 2GB but these newer games don't need a faster GPU at 1080p they just want more VRAM.

I'd advise towards having more patience really, i think the 660Ti should still carry you a few more months in most games, albeit not in max details.

Palladium posted:

Shiny new architecture for $330 that is as fast as a pricier 290X while drawing significantly less power is selling too well?

You don't say.

AMD should make another price drop as a response to this imo, even 50$ off would be enough to draw in a significant part of the market that's waiting for the 970's to be in stock.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Ladies and Gentlemen, This is why you don't buy a loving Zotac card.

Also, here is some silliness:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Rime posted:

Triple-goatse, the graphics card.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Visually, the msi 970 gaming 4g looks amazing, but with pretty much every good looking GPU they get installed arse end up so your cool tower window has a view of the back of the GPU with it's boring ugly circuit board. At least some have a back plate.

GPU companies, please start making GPU's upside down, thanks.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Rime posted:

That is incredibly ugly.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Ak Gara posted:

Visually, the msi 970 gaming 4g looks amazing, but with pretty much every good looking GPU they get installed arse end up so your cool tower window has a view of the back of the GPU with it's boring ugly circuit board. At least some have a back plate.

GPU companies, please start making GPU's upside down, thanks.

Honestly it's a little too aggressive for my tastes, I think their 700-series cards look way better.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Instant Grat posted:

It turns out that everything is actually fine... except if I try to save a copy of my 970's BIOS via GPU-Z. Then everything starts chugging like crazy and monitoring apps no longer display any info about my GPU's fan, and also my computer hard-crashes. Rebooting fixes it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Rime posted:

Well, at least they say they're fixing it.

We'll see how well that goes.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

uaciaut posted:

I'd advise towards having more patience really, i think the 660Ti should still carry you a few more months in most games, albeit not in max details.

Well then maybe I'll just get an R9 290 for around $300 instead. I refuse to play Shadow of Mordor and The Evil Within on "Medium" settings. :colbert:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

spasticColon posted:

Well then maybe I'll just get an R9 290 for around $300 instead. I refuse to play Shadow of Mordor and The Evil Within on "Medium" settings. :colbert:

You're gonna be super pissed when you shell out that much cash to play the shittiest games of 2014.

Shadow of Shittidor:http://webmup.com/lixAA/vid.webm

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Instant Grat posted:

It turns out that everything is actually fine... except if I try to save a copy of my 970's BIOS via GPU-Z. Then everything starts chugging like crazy and monitoring apps no longer display any info about my GPU's fan, and also my computer hard-crashes. Rebooting fixes it.

According to the MSI admin you need the newest beta version of GPU-Z to dump the 970 BIOS's, otherwise it screws up.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Rime posted:

You're gonna be super pissed when you shell out that much cash to play the shittiest games of 2014.

This opinion is dumb and wrong.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Rime posted:

SoM is actually a really good game, despite what 4chan tells you.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Rime posted:

That looks awesome??

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

everythingWasBees posted:

That looks awesome??

I know right? Only thing that could possibly be more fun that that is if they were being pushed through plate glass windows first before falling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It looks awesome because the combat system is the same trash from the Arkham games, cinematic button mashing with integrated QTEs. At that point you may as well just watch a movie because they look even cooler and you don't have to mash one button and press three others when the game prompts you to. If you support this kinda crap in another 10 years all we'll have is a market full of David Cage games.

And then what will GPUs be good for?