Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They don't have billions of unsold inventory in RX6500. Yes that card is overpriced too, but it's way more likely the AIBs are sitting on tons of RTX 3060+ (AMD cards were reported to be made in much lower numbers in general) priced at pre-crash levels. They probably also paid Nvidia too much for the chips and memory packages, planning to sell cards at +100% MSRP until the next generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

You gambled and lost, now sell the poo poo at whatever price will actually move it before it's worth nothing at all. This is retail 101 and I have less than zero sympathy for these companies like ASUS that despite all their millions spent on research and strategy consultants or whatever are somehow still in denial about that

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

cheesetriangles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uunW0vRMk_Y&t=871s

Apparently Asus has a billion dollars in unsold inventory and mass layoffs at various companies?

The video says billions. So I guess Black Friday's gonna be good this year.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Unsinkabear posted:

You gambled and lost, now sell the poo poo at whatever price will actually move it before it's worth nothing at all. This is retail 101 and I have less than zero sympathy for these companies like ASUS that despite all their millions spent on research and strategy consultants or whatever are somehow still in denial about that
Oh definitely, gently caress them. They all happily took part in the great scalping of GPUs in 2020/2021, produced nothing but the biggest margin OC cards and/or garbage they sold directly to miners for over a year, raised their own MSRP with the OC cards and then again with LHR (and Ti/more memory) re-releases and apparently didn't think for a second that this situation could end before they could repeat the game with the next generation.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’m surprised prices haven’t fallen more if things are as dire as the video implies. The low to mid range pricing hasn’t moved much from MSRP, at least on the Nvidia side. Maybe everyone’s just waiting for the other shoe to drop, before a bigger plunge.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I wonder if NVIDIA was charging AIBs inflated fees for their chips so now the AIBs are stuck with inventory they cannot sell below/at MSRP without a loss.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I would not be surprised if the cost of chip + memory packages the AIBs had to buy was increased behind the scenes, especially on products which already launched at inflated MSRP levels due to scalping/mining (like LHR releases or the 3080 12 GB which didn't have an official MSRP to begin with).

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Rinkles posted:

I’m surprised prices haven’t fallen more if things are as dire as the video implies. The low to mid range pricing hasn’t moved much from MSRP, at least on the Nvidia side. Maybe everyone’s just waiting for the other shoe to drop, before a bigger plunge.

could be the volume is poo poo and they can't make margin on their existing stock at a lower price, so they can't reduce without loss

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

CoolCab posted:

could be the volume is poo poo and they can't make margin on their existing stock at a lower price, so they can't reduce without loss

Might be so, but at some point you have to bite the bullet and accept selling at a small loss instead of not selling at all once the 4-series drops.

I mean, I get that this also plays well with the "4-series delayed to give AIBs more time to move their poo poo" rumors, but it's gonna be hard to sell at "good" (for them) prices at the same time that crypto farms are firesaleing all their poo poo, and there's no reason to expect that crypto is gonna come back in the next few months.

Basically I think whoever decides to drop their prices first and actually moves their stuff off the shelves is probably gonna end up in the best shape 6 months from now.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

DrDork posted:

Might be so, but at some point you have to bite the bullet and accept selling at a small loss instead of not selling at all once the 4-series drops.

Or you can keep complaining in the hopes that nvidia does a chip buyback, which is why I imagine most of these companies are doing this song and dance.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Inept posted:

Or you can keep complaining in the hopes that nvidia does a chip buyback, which is why I imagine most of these companies are doing this song and dance.

How does that work? And why would it happen? Because at some point Nvidia needs the AIBs more than it wants the money?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rinkles posted:

The video says billions. So I guess Black Friday's gonna be good this year.

Fingers crossed that the Gundam 3080 comes down to a reasonable price. That thing is like my dream GPU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Rinkles posted:

The mass mining card sell off still hasn't really started hitting outside China yet, either. It's a race to get rid of 30 series at or just below MSRP before they get seriously cheap.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Inept posted:

Yeah, I'd think that depends on whether they are sitting on packages or built cards. The couple of bucks NVidia would presumably give them for a buy-back I wouldn't think would be enough to make sense for anything other than packages sitting in boxed trays.

But who knows. The entire supply chain and market is real screwy. Again.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Is selling RTX 3060s and 3070s for a bit under MSRP somehow a big loss? Every other GPU generation in history, the things have been discounted from MSRP within a few months of launching. You still don't seem to be able to get a 3060 or 3060 Ti at MSRP easily and I'm hearing about billions in overstocks?

Edit: And game bundles, I'm used to getting multiple games when I buy a GPU.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 8, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
ouch

https://twitter.com/firstadopter/status/1556659808224399360

reeeally curious what's gonna happen to everyone's ampere inventory

Jensen posted:

“Our gaming product sell-through projections declined significantly as the quarter progressed,” said Jensen Huang, founder and CEO of NVIDIA. “As we expect the macroeconomic conditions affecting sell-through to continue, we took actions with our Gaming partners to adjust channel prices and inventory.

"took" as in past tense though

kliras fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 8, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Twerk from Home posted:

Is selling RTX 3060s and 3070s for a bit under MSRP somehow a big loss? Every other GPU generation in history, the things have been discounted from MSRP within a few months of launching. You still don't seem to be able to get a 3060 or 3060 Ti at MSRP easily and I'm hearing about billions in overstocks?

depends what they paid to produce them. everyone's margins massively massively increased during the shortage, vram in particular i know shot up in price for instance.

the majority of the cost gets passed on to the consumer, but some of this will get eaten by the partner. they were whining at launch how they couldn't meet anywhere near RRP for some of these models, i'd guess that problem just intensified and got covered up by the rising tide.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Twerk from Home posted:

If the above tweet is any guide, it's because when companies reach this size our insane, growth-obsessed, hypercapitalist system no longer leaves any room for context.

It's not "okay well the last few years were crazy but obviously that was an outlier and it's time to get back to normal."

It's "this insane situation persisted for more than one fiscal quarter, therefore it's the new normal upon which all decisions, dialog, and earnings projections (???) must be based." Any downward correction isn't a return to normalcy, it's "difficult market conditions," like the supply chain turning to something resembling what it was before is some unforseeable external factor that they're being subjected to. Nevermind that those "difficult market conditions" are basically the same conditions they've operated under for decades, that's not the norm anymore because Number went up. NUMBER MUST CONTINUE TO GO UP.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 8, 2022

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Speaking of EVGA, is there any rhyme or reason to their B-stock pricing? I’ve been checking in off and on, and half the time it’s just all over the place. The prices change frequently, but seem completely decoupled from both the rest of their inventory and from other items on the same list.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Rinkles posted:

How does that work? And why would it happen? Because at some point Nvidia needs the AIBs more than it wants the money?

nvidia would likely give money to partners in return for returned chips/proof of destroyed chips. Same as companies do for unsold books, clothing, etc. They'd do this if they're worried that a glut of old, cheap inventory will mean that few customers will want to buy all of the 4000 series chips that they just paid TSMC a boatload of cash to make.

Again though, the AIBs may just be whining here because they're looking for money, not because it's an existential threat.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

eviltastic posted:

Speaking of EVGA, is there any rhyme or reason to their B-stock pricing? I’ve been checking in off and on, and half the time it’s just all over the place. The prices change frequently, but seem completely decoupled from both the rest of their inventory and from other items on the same list.

I've never seen them give any explanation for it, either. Just seems to be some function of their current stock level vs what they think they can get for them. And maybe a random modifier based on how Joe the Restocking Clerk is feeling that day.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Buying a 3000 series card in the last few months appears to be a blunder dwarfed only by buying one in the last year before that :qqsay:

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's a bad decision on paper, but not having a good gpu to use for anything for up to two years ain't that great either. at some point you have to upgrade

and if you have to buy a new psu to use the new gpu's, there's only so much money saved

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I wonder if it will place downward pressure on 4000 series prices at launch. I hate to see people losing their jobs, but the companies put themselves in this position by - as loving ever, right - failing to factor in the unlikelihood of unusual good fortune continuing forever, aiming for unsustainable growth. Maybe it will have some positive effects for consumers...?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rinkles posted:

Usually comes down to retailer agreements. NVidia is motivated to keep retailers happy, and contracts may have clauses on unsold-at-MSRP buybacks anyway that neither side particularly wants to execute on. It may be better for NVidia to do a buyback than to have to accept a reduced order next generation (which would probably not be great for consumers either).

Twerk from Home posted:

I think the idea is in the past Nvidia had been offering rebates back to retailers and distributers over time that they didn't do this time because the demand was outstripping supply. Usually that curve is a lot more gradual so you can do things like "Oh, we'll rebate 15% for every unit sold in Q2" and things like that. Now that the curve flipped so quickly they don't have that long tail of sales to fall back on and "make up" for an inventory dump now.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

orcane posted:

Oh definitely, gently caress them. They all happily took part in the great scalping of GPUs in 2020/2021, produced nothing but the biggest margin OC cards and/or garbage they sold directly to miners for over a year, raised their own MSRP with the OC cards and then again with LHR (and Ti/more memory) re-releases and apparently didn't think for a second that this situation could end before they could repeat the game with the next generation.

Some companies were caught even selling directly to resellers who focused 100% on mining, if I recall (possibly incorrectly).

So yeah, gently caress them all.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SourKraut posted:

Some companies were caught even selling directly to resellers who focused 100% on mining, if I recall (possibly incorrectly).

So yeah, gently caress them all.

Retailers started getting a LOT more GPUs in the spring once miners stopped buying them, so yeah.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't know what their in-store purchasing policy is, but online you're only allowed to order GPUs for pickup, and only one item per GPU, though you can order multiple different GPUs at once.

Turns out it was my credit card company that put a hold on my card when I tried to buy a second GPU, of a different model, several days after the first purchase. It was weird because I did the automated step of verifying the charge with the card issuer, but they still kept the block in place until I called in and talked to a person, so I couldn't figure out which entity was actually blocking the purchase. I guess credit company's are still dialed up to 10 around GPU purchases and related fraud.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Newegg Shuffle returned today: https://www.newegg.com/product-shuffle

It seems they're going to use the shuffle to run limited discounts on inventory they want to get rid of. Today it was mostly Asus and Zotac GPUs. None of the discounts seem any better than the discounts some other card manufacturers have been running (such as EVGA), but these are some all-time lows for these brands.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I figure there's no reason to move on from my 1660 Ti any time soon if I'm only playing games like Overwatch/Overwatch 2, Aliens Fireteam, and eventually Street Fighter 6 at 1080p on my PC, right? I just don't want to be tempted if I see really good deals on 3xxx series Nvidia cards come up soon, lmao.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i don't think overwatch 2 and sf6 are out yet and i've never heard of aliens fireteam but like, probably? it's roughly a 1070 i want to say and that should still be pretty comfortable at 1080p 60 for awhile longer i'd say.

e: at least in more overwatchy titles

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Figured as much. I did move from an i7-4770 to an i5-12400 recently in prep for OW2 and SF6 to ensure more stable frame rates. I guess Aliens Fireteam isn't super optimized, since based on the various YT videos I've seen benchmarking the game, my average FPS seems to be on par with systems running a 3xxx series card anyways lol.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If those are the games you play, then yeah, there's no pressing need to upgrade. I suspect Capcom will add some fancier graphical features to SF6 than what those other games will get, but I imagine you'll be able to turn down the graphics and get a smooth 60+ fps either way.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

orcane posted:

this all happened in 2018 as well, with partners whining to tech media that NVIDIA was "demanding they take old inventory if they wanted Turing cards" (which was a roundabout way of saying "nvidia expected them to take delivery of the hardware they ordered and signed contracts for").

partners live pretty high on the hog, being an NVIDIA partner is normally a license to print money, even if there's a price adjustment or something NVIDIA will usually write a big check to compensate partners and retailers for inventory that's already in the channel... as long as it's NVIDIA's actions that caused it. So it's normally "heads partners win, tails nvidia loses" and on the rare exceptions it doesn't go their way partners get pissy about it. Or apparently go under I guess, maybe that's an option too?

but like, when there were delays in 2080 Ti shipments EVGA was showing off the boxes on twitter like "and here's where we'd put our 2080 Tis... if we had any!". People think the partners are scared to say "boo", in reality the partners have no problems talking poo poo or playing off NVIDIA's general unpopularity with the public to better their own bottom lines. Usually it works.

Rinkles posted:

the term is "market development funding", aka MDF, it's the same slush fund that Vega launch rebates (to get prices down to MSRP) came out of, or NVIDIA-sponsored games bundles come out of. NVIDIA broadly speaking does try to be fair to the partners and not openly screw them on price drops/etc, when NVIDIA causes them.

Crypto falling through isn't caused by NVIDIA's actions though, and historically - like 2018 - they haven't cared to write big checks to compensate retailers or partners when they get burned holding big orders that nobody will buy. Partners and retailers both made bank during the crypto years, not NVIDIA's problem you didn't see the end coming and clear your shelves quick enough.

Who knows what all goes on behind the scenes, but, things like the 1080 MSRP adjustment after the 1080 Ti launch, most likely get some checks written, and I don't think NVIDIA will be inclined to do that right now especially with their Q2 revenue in the toilet.

(looking back, it appears Gigabyte did get NVIDIA to take back 300k GPUs in 2018, I guess)

Tweakdown cites MLID saying partners are freaking out and NVIDIA is "working with them". Doubt partners would really actually jeopardize their shipments of Lovelace... good luck moving Ampere at all once Lovelace is released, it'd have to be real cheap.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 9, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
we sell to you, you sell to consumer. we can't sell you or otherwise gently caress you over, fine, we'll try to work something out. you can't sell to consumer, seems like a you problem.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

labelling AIB suppliers "living high on the hog" is pretty dumb considering they're around as an insurance policy for nvidia

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
SF6 is like a year away. Buying a GPU now for a game a year + from release is insane.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Whispers,

*CP2077*

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

K8.0 posted:

SF6 is like a year away. Buying a GPU now for a game a year + from release is insane.

I got a Star Citizen code bundled with an R9-290 I purchased almost a decade ago, and that game is still more than a year away from release!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Twerk from Home posted:

I got a Star Citizen code bundled with an R9-290 I purchased almost a decade ago, and that game is still more than a year away from release!

lmao, too bad they don't print those out anymore that might have been a collectors item