Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Crossing my fingers that I get an un-'whiny' Rev 1.1 - I *really* don't want to have to RMA something again for a long time.

For what it is worth, I have the Rev 1.0 and I can't hear any coil whine from my card right now, when it is quiet in the room, nor when I am gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
How to determine if you will have coil whine

flip a coin

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'd be keen to hear any other reports of MSI screwing people on RMAs. If we start getting multiple sources confirming the same story I'm going to stop suggesting people buy them.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

How to determine if you will have coil whine

flip a coin

Just run something that stresses the GPU.
Even something as simple as the Windows Performance Index refresh will stress the GPU enough to cause the whine.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Well I got the GTX 750 Ti I asked for advice on a few pages ago, while it's no 980, it does seem faster than the 5850 I had to replace. Not by a lot, but I figure it's also probably turning 80 fewer Watts into heat. Seems good to me.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
I couldn't figure out my gtx 980 heat problem, so I'm just gonna ask whether it is safe for a GPU to have an idle 45-55 degrees temp if its load temperature never goes above 76 degrees?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Lord Bude posted:

I'd be keen to hear any other reports of MSI screwing people on RMAs. If we start getting multiple sources confirming the same story I'm going to stop suggesting people buy them.

One other guy said he got a 'we're out of stock' email from RMA support but his notification just made mention of 'issuing credit,' so I made sure to post screengrabs of my two emails so he can reference a precedent in case they stonewall him on the $310 figure:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1835289&page=5

I'll also be sure to note how many days from tomorrow it takes to actually *get* said reimbursement check (I figure a week in business days is enough for anything letter-sized to make it from CA to VA). I can't remember a single time in my life I've ever heard of a place having to cut a check to an end user because they couldn't realistically *guess* when they'd get proper inventory back in stock.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 6, 2014

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Shrinkage posted:

I couldn't figure out my gtx 980 heat problem, so I'm just gonna ask whether it is safe for a GPU to have an idle 45-55 degrees temp if its load temperature never goes above 76 degrees?

When it'd idle, does it actually clock itself down? Is it set to maximum power or adaptive? Is there something in the background that could be using the card anyway? Is it a single monitor or multiple?

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

When it'd idle, does it actually clock itself down? Is it set to maximum power or adaptive? Is there something in the background that could be using the card anyway? Is it a single monitor or multiple?

It clocks down to 135 mhz core, 162 memory when idle. 10% TDP.

My setup is a single monitor setup and right now at those settings, it's idling at 56 degrees.

It seems like the idle temperature keeps going up; It was 34 degrees when I just bought it, then last week it was in the 40s and these days it seems to be around or above the 50s.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Shrinkage posted:

My setup is a single monitor setup and right now at those settings, it's idling at 56 degrees.

It seems like the idle temperature keeps going up; It was 34 degrees when I just bought it, then last week it was in the 40s and these days it seems to be around or above the 50s.

Do you have the ASUS card? Most reviews have it idling around 50c, which isn't too far off what you are seeing and could be caused by the airflow in your case etc.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
There is nothing wrong with idling at that temperature.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

BurritoJustice posted:

Do you have the ASUS card? Most reviews have it idling around 50c, which isn't too far off what you are seeing and could be caused by the airflow in your case etc.

Which reviews are those?

Guru3d, and a couple other reviews I read put the temperature around 39-42 degrees.

Don Lapre posted:

There is nothing wrong with idling at that temperature.

I hope so.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

DaNzA posted:

Just run something that stresses the GPU.
Even something as simple as the Windows Performance Index refresh will stress the GPU enough to cause the whine.
The only time I've ever noticed coil whine was running the 1st test in 3DMark Firestrike, although it's coming from the soon-to-be-replaced PSU and not the 290.

The Lord Bude posted:

I've only had good experiences with MSI RMAs, first with a 4890 and recently with a 280x where they swapped out the fans with a ~7 day turnaround.

If it makes you feel better you can make a custom fan profile with Afterburner to raise the minimum fan speed and reduce idle temps.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 6, 2014

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So I've belatedly realized the reason I can't upgrade my GeForce GTX 670 drivers properly is because NV dropped support for the GeForce 210, which I've got in my machine purely to run a 3rd display (P67 chipset :negative:). Any suggestions on a new card to replace that guy? I only need it to run a monitor well enough for web browsing (and even then, not really with Flash) since I can run 2 from my 670, anyone used those USB 3.0 display adapters? (NEC USB 3.0 but hopefully it would play nice).

Also coil whine is quite possibly the most infuriating thing that consumer electronics can do. It's sloppy engineering and/or cost cutting and its the loving worst.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

I've only got good things to say about MSI support and I've been buying their graphics cards since the 7000GTX series. So it seems like a bit of a weird case.

Edit:

Shrinkage posted:

Which reviews are those?

Guru3d, and a couple other reviews I read put the temperature around 39-42 degrees.

I hope so.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_980_STRIX_OC/29.html

I think it varies heavily on test setup with passive cards. Also of note is the MSI card being 11 degrees cooler while passive, obviously a testament to the ridiculous amount of metal in it's heatsink.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 6, 2014

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

movax posted:

So I've belatedly realized the reason I can't upgrade my GeForce GTX 670 drivers properly is because NV dropped support for the GeForce 210, which I've got in my machine purely to run a 3rd display (P67 chipset :negative:). Any suggestions on a new card to replace that guy? I only need it to run a monitor well enough for web browsing (and even then, not really with Flash) since I can run 2 from my 670, anyone used those USB 3.0 display adapters? (NEC USB 3.0 but hopefully it would play nice).

Also coil whine is quite possibly the most infuriating thing that consumer electronics can do. It's sloppy engineering and/or cost cutting and its the loving worst.

The GeForce GT 610 looks to be about the cheapest GeForce card based on a relatively recent chipset, with those cards being based on Fermi.

As for coil whine, I do find it annoying as well, my Zotac GTX 770 actually has some, but fortunately it only seems to happen in uncapped DX9 software where the FPS goes up to like 300+, like in 3D Mark, I've never had it happen under normal gaming conditions. But man does it sound like bees are near my head when it does happen.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

movax posted:

Any suggestions on a new card to replace that guy?

Honestly I'd suggest shelling out a tiny bit more for a 750 (non-Ti), since it's based on Maxwell, and what point is there buying the oldest thing nVidia currently supports if you likely just find yourself soon in the same predicament when they EOL Fermi driver support?

A GT 610 will certainly work, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 6, 2014

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

movax posted:

Can't a single GTX 670 do something like 4 displays on it's own?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
I used to run three displays from my old 670gtx. One DP, one HDMI and one DVI. All independent as well.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hexus did a review of the 8GB 290x

Long story short the larger frame buffer does basically nothing, and it still gets plastered by both the 970 and 980 at 1080p and 4k in very close to every benchmark. The thing costs a heap too. But if you've got a VRAM hardon it might be your thing.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Shrinkage posted:

What are your temps and fanspeed % like during gaming?

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Khagan posted:

What are your temps and fanspeed % like during gaming?

Around 75-77 degrees, it's never reached 80 degrees even after playing Battlefield 4 for 3-4 hours straight.

I have no problem with the load temp of the card. I just hope that having an idle temp of around 50c will not deteriorate my graphic card in the long run, considering that I run my pc pretty much 24/7.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

The only answer is a gtx 970, the gigabyte g1.

Flex Display technology
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5209#ov

quote:

GIGABYTE Flex display technology(patent-pending) can automatically detect any connected monitors and achieve multi-display gaming up to 4 monitors at the same time by using various output groups. Users could enjoy the best gaming experience in ultra HD resolution with extended flexibility in arranging monitor configurations and making future system upgrade extremely easy.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

So if I ordered a 970 from Newegg a few weeks ago, should I contact them about getting a voucher?

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
b-but freesunk!

postcapt
Feb 27, 2011

Mr E posted:

So if I ordered a 970 from Newegg a few weeks ago, should I contact them about getting a voucher?

I ordered an MSI card on Oct 8 and got my code this morning without a hassle.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Mr E posted:

I just got done chatting with an agent about my Strix 970 order and she emailed me one with just a simple request.

Basically, the question is "Do I want a free game, or not?"

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mr E posted:

Just got done with chatting with a Newegg agent as well, and they gave me the game voucher without any hassle even though I bought mine in September.

Go for it.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Swartz posted:

Just got done with chatting with a Newegg agent as well, and they gave me the game voucher without any hassle even though I bought mine in September.

Go for it.

Same here, I bought mine back in September and they emailed me one without even asking for an order number.

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005
I have a i5-2320 (3Ghz), and am tempted by either a GTX760 or a GTX 970 - but wondering just how CPU limited I might be - would anyone have any advice please? Reason for upgrade is my 7870 has developed a fault.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

The Gunslinger posted:

I contacted TigerDirect about the same thing and the guy said they would get me a code within 3-5 business days.

Did you use the chat support or what? I got this back when I asked.

Thank you for contacting us. The validity of the promotion for the free games are for purchases made on the date the promotion was advertised.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us.

Irvin Cruz

----------------------------------------------------------------

I ordered 2 Asus 970 Strix video cards about 2 weeks ago, received last week. I was wondering if I could get the games that are coming with them now.

Shadowfyst
Jun 8, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

Thank you for contacting us. The validity of the promotion for the free games are for purchases made on the date the promotion was advertised.

Irvin Cruz

I ordered 2 Asus 970 Strix video cards about 2 weeks ago, received last week. I was wondering if I could get the games that are coming with them now.

I chatted with a tigerdirect rep and this is what I was told:

Your purchased date is not qualified. Only qualified orders starting from OCTOBER 20 onwards. Your purchase date is SEPTEMBER 26 which is not qualified.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Irvin Cruz

No, I just used the email contact form on tigerdirect.ca. I basically said that it should qualify under price protection otherwise I was returning my card, they said they will get me a code in 3-5 business days.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Would a degrading PSU result in piss poor GPU overclocks? It's the only thing I can think of to explain the weird driver resets I'm seeing. I was stable for days at +250 core on my gtx980 and now it's not. I maxed out the TDP and core voltage slider, GPU-Z reports that the card is pulling the using full scale voltage, load temps never get above 75, etc etc. My psu is a 3 year old Corsair HX850, think its worth a shot replacing?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Anti-Hero posted:

Would a degrading PSU result in piss poor GPU overclocks? It's the only thing I can think of to explain the weird driver resets I'm seeing. I was stable for days at +250 core on my gtx980 and now it's not. I maxed out the TDP and core voltage slider, GPU-Z reports that the card is pulling the using full scale voltage, load temps never get above 75, etc etc. My psu is a 3 year old Corsair HX850, think its worth a shot replacing?
Unless the PSU has some kind of unknown hardware fault, it's more than fine for your card and 3 years of degradation wouldn't make a dent. Either your GPU wasn't actually stable at those clocks, or there's a hardware/driver problem with the card.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Shadowfyst posted:

I chatted with a tigerdirect rep and this is what I was told:

Your purchased date is not qualified. Only qualified orders starting from OCTOBER 20 onwards. Your purchase date is SEPTEMBER 26 which is not qualified.

I chatted with a different rep and he is going to send me a code for both of my cards. Talk to someone in sales and not customer service :)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Just got my code from Newegg, so if you ordered a card earlier just ask support.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I have heard of coil whine, and I even read up on it on the wiki but I still don't completely understand it. Is it a mechanical noise generated from a bad fan?

Shadowfyst
Jun 8, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

I chatted with a different rep and he is going to send me a code for both of my cards. Talk to someone in sales and not customer service :)

I tried that also and had no luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Knifegrab posted:

I have heard of coil whine, and I even read up on it on the wiki but I still don't completely understand it. Is it a mechanical noise generated from a bad fan?

Buzzing from the actual components.