Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Bloopsy posted:

I have a friend who scoffs at what my PCs cost but doesn’t think twice about spending the equivalent amount on bats and cleats for beer league softball each year.

Anyone spending thousands of dollars on bats and cleats every year, is probably the world’s biggest idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Canned Sunshine posted:

Anyone spending thousands of dollars on bats and cleats every year, is probably the world’s biggest idiot.

And all you need to game is a $500 console.

People spend money on poo poo they like or to make the poo poo they like more enjoyable. Who the gently caress cares as long as they aren't doing some Zaurg poo poo to feed their hobby?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

*laughs nervously glancing at wrist watch collection*

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Cyrano4747 posted:

People spend money on poo poo they like or to make the poo poo they like more enjoyable. Who the gently caress cares as long as they aren't doing some Zaurg poo poo to feed their hobby?

TBF the PS5 is now $399 and comes with a copy of Spider-Man 2, that's kind of an unbeatable value

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Lockback posted:

This whole post reads like a kneejerk response written 5 years ago that turned out incorrect.
He's not really wrong though. True path tracing is as far away from happening in real time as ever. The real time state of the art we've got now, Reservoir Resampling combined with increasingly clever screen space accumulation and denoising algorithms, is still a big pile of hacks. Different hacks than we used before and undoubtedly able produce a somewhat more realistic looking impression of light, but still an physically unprincipled collection of things that "look good". It'll be interesting to see how the hardware and software develops. Unless somebody figures out how get a 10000x increase in compute and memory bandwidth, current GPU designs aren't going to get us to path tracing nirvana.

I dunno, I guess it doesn't matter. Cyberpunk with "path tracing" looks awesome and I certainly wouldn't judge anyone for spending thousands of dollars to play it at high resolutions and frame rates.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I mean, saying that any form of ray tracing at all is just a marketing gimmick and developers will always prefer rasterized rendering is a weird statement to make when there are already games shipping that expect you to use it by default, or where it can't be disabled at all. Even on consoles, there are AAA games being shipped that always use ray tracing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I’m so glad that one meme was the equivalent of lobbing a grenade into this thread.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Computer hardware is way cheaper than most other hobbies I can think of. Heck, my golf lessons are like $160/hr.

People who buy 4090s are like if you got your golf lessons from Tiger Woods and paid whatever it took to get him to mentor you.

Some people can afford that, but it's not necessary to enjoy golf nor should it be required/standardized.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Animal posted:

Anyone else here old enough to remember when people were having this same argument about 3D gaming at 16bit color vs 32bit color with a performance hit? If I recall correctly the 3Dfx cards took the biggest hit with 32bit, and a lot of people still had Voodoo’s.

Anyways after playing halfway through AW2 with path tracing, the thought of switching it off seems ridiculous. Just like playing Quake 3 at 16bit color.

I started complaining when games went 3d at all, and you guys are still trying to make 3d games happen

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
gaming is cheaper than going out to the bar these days, have you seen the price of drinks lately

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

I started complaining when games went 3d at all, and you guys are still trying to make 3d games happen

We should have gone all-in on Voxels.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
You can play PUBG at over 40fps on a $60 phone that's too slow to browse modern websites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McawfNlydqk

Gaming is what you make of it. I know I'm probably the only one in this thread that'll admit it, but it sucks that Fortnite got pulled from iOS, the game ran and looked much better on an old cheap iPhone than on the Switch and you could use a controller.

It was a great tech demo of what's possible. I wonder what their new ray traced lighting model would look like on modern iPhone GPUs.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cyrano4747 posted:

My post was largely to point out that it’s ridiculous to try and compare PC upgrading/building costs to a hobby that should not cost anywhere near as much as that. If someone wants to spend $1,500 on a pair of cleats, then good for them (though they’ll likely have decent positioning in the guillotine line).

(Though I’ll also always be curious show much people who spend big $$$ on their hobbies, also donate to social causes)

And yes, getting into any form of gaming is not that expensive, such as:

change my name posted:

TBF the PS5 is now $399 and comes with a copy of Spider-Man 2, that's kind of an unbeatable value

And a Switch is an even cheaper way to into it. But it’s ridiculous for someone to say that PC gaming is “much cheaper” than “almost any other hobby”.

Twerk from Home posted:

You can play PUBG at over 40fps on a $60 phone that's too slow to browse modern websites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McawfNlydqk

Gaming is what you make of it. I know I'm probably the only one in this thread that'll admit it, but it sucks that Fortnite got pulled from iOS, the game ran and looked much better on an old cheap iPhone than on the Switch and you could use a controller.

It was a great tech demo of what's possible. I wonder what their new ray traced lighting model would look like on modern iPhone GPUs.

Especially since the A17 and M3 chipsets now have hardware ray tracing and dynamic caching.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they only support lumen on pc and current gen consoles currently, no mac support, nevermind ios

i remain convinced that mobile raytracing is a meme, no amount of hardware acceleration will change the fact that all of the actually interesting uses of RT are extremely memory bandwidth intensive, and bandwidth is extremely limited on mobile

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

repiv posted:

they only support lumen on pc and current gen consoles currently, no mac support, nevermind ios

i remain convinced that mobile raytracing is a meme, no amount of hardware acceleration will change the fact that all of the actually interesting uses of RT are extremely memory bandwidth intensive, and bandwidth is extremely limited on mobile

Lumen works on Mac OS, and they're experimenting with Nanite. The GPU power is there, but they don't have a lot of incentive to focus efforts there given that they are forbidden from publishing Fortnite and other devs are skeptical of Mac OS in general.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/lumen-nanite-on-macos/508411?page=6

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

pyrotek posted:

As a side-note, I recently got a Voodoo 3 for a retro computer, which I never had before (I had a TNT2 Ultra at the time.) I always thought that the "22-bit color" output was bullshit, but what do you know, with the filter enabled it does look better than other cards at 16-bit color. It isn't as good as true 32-bit color, of course, but a lot of older games only supported 16-bit color anyway.

Now I kind of want a Voodoo 4 4500 or Voodoo 5 5500 to get that, 32-bit color support, and to enable MSAA for old games (especially Glide games) but those are ridiculously expensive.

I had a Voodoo 2 (8 MB) and later a Voodoo3 3000 AGP back in the day. At the time dithering was pretty important and the voodoo cards were widely accepted as having the best method, so even with the 16 bit color limitation you would see very little color banding artifacts (also greatly assisted by the fuzzy/blurry nature of the CRT displays that dominated the era). Good times.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

change my name posted:

Steam deck can be grabbed for under $300 from SA mart. PC bundles and cheap keys + emu make that the ultimate budget platform.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I love my Deck but it's a secondary device and it's starting to struggle with new games. DD2 runs at 10fps on it I think

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

shrike82 posted:

I love my Deck but it's a secondary device and it's starting to struggle with new games. DD2 runs at 10fps on it I think

I don't think I'd make DD2 the benchmark for new games. It's melting beefy systems too. Apparently there is some horrible optimization and it's pegging processors with AI calculations.

I've had good lucking getting newer games to run on my deck, but I'm realistic about what it can and can't do. It played the new Dead Space shockingly well, for example. BG3 gives it issues, but that's a processor issue. Most places where it runs into trouble seem to be processor bottlenecks.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

meanwhile i'm still fairly impressed by how much grunt a 3400g can pull

and i'll build this in a few weeks and I'm going to try to Game on that

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

meanwhile i'm still fairly impressed by how much grunt a 3400g can pull

and i'll build this in a few weeks and I'm going to try to Game on that

This is absolutely the poo poo I'm here for. If you're trying this on Windows and playing Unreal engine games, I'd strongly recommend disabling real-time defender protection. It CPU bottlenecks the N5095 hard after compiling shaders, I swear it seems like the antivirus is checking the newly compiled shaders based on what I've seen.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm going to love this because these are cat cores with now-unsupported old GCN, these are the bottom of bottom tier (and these are apparently 40% worse than my old AM1 systems (rip)). N5095 is a cheetah compared to this

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 28, 2024

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Twerk from Home posted:

This is absolutely the poo poo I'm here for. If you're trying this on Windows and playing Unreal engine games, I'd strongly recommend disabling real-time defender protection. It CPU bottlenecks the N5095 hard after compiling shaders, I swear it seems like the antivirus is checking the newly compiled shaders based on what I've seen.

Oh?

If that's true I wonder if windows 11 dev drive would solve that.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
I think you can just exempt certain directories from real time scanning, which might be better than disabling it fully. I have no idea how effective it actually is.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Looking at updating my HTPC - the hardware at this point is so old that it can't run Windows 11 (so HDR is a nightmare) and the video card doesn't support HDMI 2.1 for 4k 120Hz or even full HEVC decode. From what I can tell the Intel Arc card are actually great at video decode, and the Arc 580 seems like the best deal for the few things that I need. Considering the RTX 3050 as well; for purely video applications, the Intel drivers are at least passable, right?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

For encode/decode uses, the drivers are fine from what I've heard. Be careful with which card you get though, as there are some Arc cards where the AIB (Sparkle, mostly) skimped out on the HDMI implementation and they only do HDMI 2.0b. The Asrock A580 should do HDMI 2.1 and is $159 on newegg at the moment though.

Also worth pointing out that the same encode/decode is going to be integrated into Intel's Arrow Lake CPUs that are scheduled to launch later this year, meaning upgrading in a few months may mean you can skip the GPU entirely and run QuickSync instead for some tasty power and cash savings if you are updating the CPU anyway. Sorta doubt that motherboard makers will integrate HDMI 2.1 capable ports, though.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If you're just doing decode, any 11th gen Intel or later, or 6000 series or later AMD processor with an integrated GPU will support AV1 already.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to help an employee who needs to drive 3 more screens at work for a total of 6. We have Lenovo X1s and his model tops out at 3, newer ones 4. We all have Thunderbolt docks so I was thinking about just getting a GPU chassis and putting something in there.

What would be a professional-looking (non-gamer) setup be? I really just want a small black enclosure that can connect via TB and have a GPU with 3-4 ports. This will not be used for gaming and needs to be quiet (it's just going to push the windows compositor around all day on 3-4 monitors).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

depending on the resolution requirements it might be possible to do it using displayport MST instead, which wouldn't make any noise at all and would be a lot cheaper

something like the dell U2424H has a displayport output so you can daisy chain a second monitor from it and get two monitors for the price of one port

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

hold on i recall mechwarrior also had raytracing. brb

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Spent the last month RMAing my (two) rattling ProArt 4080 supers,which is rather disappointing. However, I channeled my frustration into selling all my old crap on ebay, and now I can afford a 4090. I also have an actual spare room, rather than a room-o-shite.

I can't wait to have my retinas bombarded with fake-non-realtime-90%-smoke-n-mirror-psuedo-rays that some may (wrongly) say would be better off existing as free range organic pixels. Gonna call my first born Ray.
(last bit is a fib, I'm old single and already have a rad daughter, called Tessa-lation))

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 30, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Bloopsy posted:

I have a friend who scoffs at what my PCs cost but doesn’t think twice about spending the equivalent amount on bats and cleats for beer league softball each year.

Boomer dominated society still has this idea that video games are for children and spending that kind of money on something to play them is wasteful, while beer league softball is a "real hobby." These are the same folks who have a smartphone and maybe an ipad and don't really "get" what a full actual PC is capable of doing because all they ever used their computers for are the same things they now use their phone and ipad for.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

Boomer dominated society still has this idea that video games are for children and spending that kind of money on something to play them is wasteful, while beer league softball is a "real hobby." These are the same folks who have a smartphone and maybe an ipad and don't really "get" what a full actual PC is capable of doing because all they ever used their computers for are the same things they now use their phone and ipad for.

All hobbies are frivolous. That's the point of them. On that level no, there's no real difference between softball and gaming.

Still, let's not kid ourselves. It's a purely consumptive hobby that you very much do not need a $3k gaming rig to participate in, even with new AAA games. If people want to spend $2k+ on a single component? loving go for it, I"m not you mom, enjoy yourself. But let's not pretend that it's anything other than throwing money at entertainment.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

gaming's a pretty cheap hobby. you can spend 4 grand on the high-end but the neat thing is that 4 grand gets you literally best in the world performance at any given time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

cheap
4 grand
lmfao

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Cyrano4747 posted:

All hobbies are frivolous. That's the point of them. On that level no, there's no real difference between softball and gaming.

Still, let's not kid ourselves. It's a purely consumptive hobby that you very much do not need a $3k gaming rig to participate in, even with new AAA games. If people want to spend $2k+ on a single component? loving go for it, I"m not you mom, enjoy yourself. But let's not pretend that it's anything other than throwing money at entertainment.

I think it's fair to say PC Gaming is a wonderful, generally cheap hobby compared to some "adult" things out there. I dunno what kind of computer you'd build with 4k usd, but whatever it is, it's already world-class performance. You can't get much more performance even if you get into weird esoteric poo poo. And the machine is gonna last you years, unless you want to waste your time and money upgrading everything every year.

other adult hobbies... Going Kayaking? who the gently caress knows what a kayak costs??? Guitars, sure you can get a decent used one for 100 bux if you go looking, or you can spend thousands on an original Gibson, and then a lot more in equipment. Become an audiophile? RIP ur bank accounts (spending thousands on magic cables).

I mean there's always hobbies that cost 0 dollars like working out, going outside, hiking, but let's be honest those loving suck :goonsay:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

shrike82 posted:

gaming's a pretty cheap hobby. you can spend 4 grand on the high-end but the neat thing is that 4 grand gets you literally best in the world performance at any given time.

paying 4k for a computer that will play high-end stuff comfortably for the next 4-5 years is hardly a huge ask, that's like 70 bucks a month average. you go out to eat twice a month and that's 70 bucks right there. and you'd frankly have a hard time spending 4k unless you just buy completely unnecessary stuff. a complete 7800x3d/4090 build even with 4090 prices being inflated how they are will still only cost like 3.5k if you don't reuse anything.

recently bought a new car and looked into the cost of going to the track. like 350 bucks just for track insurance for that one day? then figure you'll be trashing tires if you do that even a few times a year. makes gaming look dirt cheap thats for sure

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Shipon posted:

recently bought a new car and looked into the cost of going to the track. like 350 bucks just for track insurance for that one day? then figure you'll be trashing tires if you do that even a few times a year. makes gaming look dirt cheap thats for sure

It’s still cheaper than getting a reckless driving ticket.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I love how people defending spending money on hobbies always point to cars as something that could be a lot more expensive. Like, yeah, and civil aviation is also a really loving expensive hobby. So are boats. But just because some hobbies have a $20k+ buy in and expensive ongoing bullshit doesn't make your hobby somehow frugal.

I say this as someone with multiple dumb, expensive hobbies that all pale in comparison to the cash motor heads drop, but I'm not going to defend any of them as somehow financially responsible frugality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I guess my thing is, a week at Disney World is a lot more expensive than it used to be too, but it used to be 3-4 video cards expensive, and now it's like 1-2 video cards expensive, because while the overall price of both things is higher one has accelerated more the past seven years.

It also doesn't help that, unlike Apple, Jansen has no interest in selling multiple generations at once. I don't NEED the iPhone 15 if the 13 does what I need and, more importantly, is available.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 30, 2024