Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Sorry, completely missed the bit where you said "for low power compute applications". My bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I'm glad there is an actual application for the card, however I can only imagine how many people will buy it for gaming because it has 4gb vs a 2gb 960

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
I'm having a bit of trouble with the graphics on my laptop. Is this the place to ask for help?

I've got a Lenovo Y510p that has both Intel HD 4600 and nVidia 750m. My 3D settings in nVidia Control Panel are currently set to auto-select, which always chooses the integrated option. If I change this to select the 750m, any time I start a game I get errors about not being able to create/start the d3d device.

I've tried re-installing the drivers for the 750m, both by uninstalling it in the Device Manager and letting it re-detect, and by downloading the latest drivers from nVidia. What else can I try to get things going?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

I'm having a bit of trouble with the graphics on my laptop. Is this the place to ask for help?

I've got a Lenovo Y510p that has both Intel HD 4600 and nVidia 750m. My 3D settings in nVidia Control Panel are currently set to auto-select, which always chooses the integrated option. If I change this to select the 750m, any time I start a game I get errors about not being able to create/start the d3d device.

I've tried re-installing the drivers for the 750m, both by uninstalling it in the Device Manager and letting it re-detect, and by downloading the latest drivers from nVidia. What else can I try to get things going?

Hmmm, have you tried disabling or uninstalling the Intel integrated graphics? If you can do that then after a restart it should be forced to use the 750m instead.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
No, see, he has Optimus. Which means the discrete graphics chip has no displays connected to it. It must framebuffer copy to the integrated graphics to function.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I've been living with a semi-broken (random flickering while browsing or whatever, artifacts in games) MSI R9 280x for a while now and I'm finally thinking of replacing it with an actual working nvidia card but I have some questions first.

I have a 500W PSU right now and the minimum wattage requirements for this card seems to be 500W. Do you usually want the PSU to supply more than the minimum requirements, so that this might actually be causing my issues? Googling shows that my problems are rather common for this GPU so I'm not so sure about that myself, but it might be worth to try a beefier one since I think I need to get another PSU anyway if I plan to get a newer card.

Also, as for the PSU; what is the "minimum" wattage I should aim for wrt GPU's? 700W or even higher? I don't need SLI/Crossfire, just to use whatever card safely and without issues.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

netcat posted:

I've been living with a semi-broken (random flickering while browsing or whatever, artifacts in games) MSI R9 280x for a while now and I'm finally thinking of replacing it with an actual working nvidia card but I have some questions first.

I have a 500W PSU right now and the minimum wattage requirements for this card seems to be 500W. Do you usually want the PSU to supply more than the minimum requirements, so that this might actually be causing my issues? Googling shows that my problems are rather common for this GPU so I'm not so sure about that myself, but it might be worth to try a beefier one since I think I need to get another PSU anyway if I plan to get a newer card.

Also, as for the PSU; what is the "minimum" wattage I should aim for wrt GPU's? 700W or even higher? I don't need SLI/Crossfire, just to use whatever card safely and without issues.

It all depends on the quality of your power supply. Two PSU's rated for the same wattage may perform drastically differently because they're made with different designs and parts. The 80+ ratings get you some idea of how they'll perform but even those are no guarantee.

This is a good basic guide for power supply sizing and purchasing from the PC Parts picking megathread where all your computer parts questions go:

quote:

17. How much wattage does my PSU need to have? I found this one for $20…

DO NOT BUY CHEAP-rear end POWER SUPPLIES. Not only are you risking every component in the system, but you are risking starting an electrical fire. Power supplies are one of the most critical components, yet the temptation of many builders is to ignore quality and blindly buy whatever gives out a lot of Watts.

A properly-sized power supply has a capacity between 20% and 100% greater than the actual load to be placed on it. We give some appropriate choices based on your graphics card (the highest-power-draw component in most systems) in the Quick Picks later on. PC Part Picker will also tally up as you add parts and keep track of a minimum PSU size. Newegg also has a calculator, but it will give you numbers on the high side of sane. Buy something in between.

If you want to estimate it yourself, most single GPU systems that come by us can be estimated by the CPU’s TDP (Thermal Design Power) plus the graphic’s card’s TDP (Nvidia) or board power (AMD) plus 50W, then multiply that by 1.2 for your minimum PSU size and by 2.0 for your reasonable upper limit. The TDP and board power can be found by a Google search.

For example, an i5-4590 and a GeForce 970 is (84W + 145W + 50W) * 1.2 = 335W to 558W, so you would use a 350W to 550W power supply.

Aim for the target wattage from that equation and then shop for an 80+ gold rated power supply made by Seasonic or a rebranded version of a seasonic like XFX. The Rosewill CAPSTONE is good too but no other rosewills are as good. Note that overclocking will add more power requirements to your CPU and GPU over their stock rated power use and it's not an insignificant amount.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Welp. posted:

AMD will not bring the Fiji-based R9 390X flagship graphics card to Computex, but leave the unveiling for a later date and event in June.

We are still not sure if AMD will unveil the new Fiji-based flagship graphics card during some major event in June, like the E3 2015 show, or make its own event, but we are now sure that it will not be present at Computex 2015 show.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
lol

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Goddamn it AMD, Pascals going to be out by early next year, the hell are you thinking?

I guess maybe they're having issues with quality?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Speculation on wccftech says it's because E3 is a gaming thing and computex will have a ton of other poo poo so they want to go for ~max hype~ or something.

I dunno about issues with quality, E3 is like a week after computex, so it's unlikely they'd delay by just a week if that was the case?

edit: http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-300-series-fiji-xt-release-date/

Or not E3.

quote:

AMD Radeon R9 300 series will be launching on the 18th of June while the Fiji XT GPU will be launching on the 24th of June 2015.

Truga fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 14, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Truga posted:

Speculation on wccftech says it's because E3 is a gaming thing and computex will have a ton of other poo poo so they want to go for ~max hype~ or something.

I dunno about issues with quality, E3 is like a week after computex, so it's unlikely they'd delay by just a week if that was the case?

edit: http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-300-series-fiji-xt-release-date/

Or not E3.

In that same article

quote:

The Fiji XT GPUs with HBM (memory) will be launching later – around the 24th of July.

While a july 24 launch is more depressing, it makes more sense than a six day later launch date

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Not that I don't like the what-ifs, but isn't wccftech pretty much all about wild guessing?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, it's in the tags: Hardware, Leak, Rumor

But they seem to get poo poo right often enough.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
They just post pretty much every rumor they hear and simple law of averages means that they're going to be right at least some of the time.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Krailor posted:

They just post pretty much every rumor they hear and simple law of averages means that they're going to be right at least some of the time.

That's what I was getting at, the whole "broken clock is right twice a day phenomenon". Although I'm not saying I don't enjoy reading the rumors, just seems like people are putting a tad too much faith in them? Or maybe I'm just misreading the seriousness of the posters thanks to "the internet"..

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Isn't AMD running an E3 show with PC gamer? It'd make sense to reveal their top end card there.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
E3 makes the most sense, tbh. But you never know these days, AMD also did their own super hype event for 290x/TrueAudio IIRC.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
The new cards will be released when enough vendors are interested in stocking them and writing the old ones off.
You decide what newegg giving away loving GTA5 for free (on their own dime, not AMDs) with a 290 says about their inventory levels.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I would be shocked if AMD wasn't covering some of that cost.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Hrm looks like newegg has about 985 new R9 290's in stock total.

That seems like a lot but I have no idea if that is an unusually huge number or what.

e:\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Yea always got a kick out of it myself. Just put 999 in the amount box and update quantity. AFAIK its accurate across all newegg's warehouses too.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 15, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

That seems like a lot but I have no idea if that is an unusually huge number or what.

I did not realize this could be done at Newegg and this post is now my favorite one of the day

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

e:\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ Yea always got a kick out of it myself. Just put 999 in the amount box and update quantity. AFAIK its accurate across all newegg's warehouses too.

Some bitcoiner just got a semi.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

This is amazing.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Noice. I hope Newegg never fixes this.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have to confess that the 290 seems like the AMD version of the 960 at this point. It's neither the most cost-effective choice (probably the 7950 which is edging down around $100 refurbed) nor the most powerful, it still eats quite a lot of power, and the 290X is running about $30 more. Prices will probably continue to spiral in order to clear inventory before the 300s come out. Why setlle on that?

295x2s are pushing down towards $470 or so with rebates and discounts, which is almost tempting given how the 300 series keeps getting pushed back. If rumors are true it'll just about equal the 390X's power at about 2/3 the cost, assuming your game runs in Crossfire. It's rumored that the Hawaii series have full DX12 Tier 3 capability, so they should even be usable as 8GB instead of 4GB Crossfire.

Hopefully the DISCOUNT INFERNO will continue to intensify.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 15, 2015

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Isn't the 290 roughly on par with the 970s, at a cheaper price but with worse thermals and OC ability?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Pretty much. New price is getting to be pretty decent again. Used is where its at IMO so long as you can get one with a decent warranty. Picked one up a while ago for ~$200 with one of those triple fan HSF's and I'm happy.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ragingsheep posted:

Isn't the 290 roughly on par with the 970s, at a cheaper price but with worse thermals and OC ability?

Depends on the game and resolution - the higher the resolution the worse the 970 scales out, but yeah, the 290/x are somewhere around that performance range. I just mean that the 290 is a "neither here nor there" card - it's not the best value in the series, you don't get the consolation of having the most powerful arc furnace in the series, you're not saving much, and prices are dropping like a stone, so - much like the 960 vs the 970 - why would you buy the redheaded-stepchild middle card of the lineup?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 15, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Yeah I dont know man, the R9 290 can frequently be had for around $200, that is quite a bit of savings compared to a 970...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think he means compared to 290x, which has now started to become cheaper.

e: And 290x is pretty much on par with 970. Slightly worse at lower resolutions, same-same at 1440p+.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

What is the likelihood that the EVGA 980ti will become eligible to step-up to immediately upon release? I have approximately 65 days remaining...

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Depends on the game and resolution - the higher the resolution the worse the 970 scales out, but yeah, the 290/x are somewhere around that performance range. I just mean that the 290 is a "neither here nor there" card - it's not the best value in the series, you don't get the consolation of having the most powerful arc furnace in the series, you're not saving much, and prices are dropping like a stone, so - much like the 960 vs the 970 - why would you buy the redheaded-stepchild middle card of the lineup?

The 960 is basically a 980 cut in half, whereas a 290 is just a 290X with some shaders disabled and the same VRAM and memory bandwidth. The performance difference between the 960 and 970 is a lot larger than the difference between a 290 and a 290X. That said if the price difference is only $30 then I would just get the 290X, the price difference used to be much larger.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
:siren: Oculus Rift final specs released! :siren:

The final Rift is 2160x1200 @ 90hz and requires a GTX 970 or higher

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/15/8612027/oculus-rift-pc-recommended-specs

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bleh Maestro posted:

nice! With specs like that, how is console VR like sony's going to work? with a tiny resolution?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 15, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Bleh Maestro posted:

So, before we've only heard of it using standard resolutions, and suddenly now it's using the exact same res and refresh as the HTC Vive? Most people were expecting the Oculus Rift to have a higher res.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Who knows. Still, don't underestimate that 90hz takes 50% more power than 60hz to render, and VR isn't as forgiving to your equilibrium when you drop frames.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

HDMI means no adaptive sync support, seems like a missed opportunity :saddowns:

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.

HalloKitty posted:

So, before we've only heard of it using standard resolutions, and suddenly now it's using the exact same res and refresh as the HTC Vive? Most people were expecting the Oculus Rift to have a higher res.

Low latency requirements are driving high FPS requirements (90 Hz) which results in inevitable tradeoffs to try and get this to the layman, insofar as a layman can be considered to be someone with a modern mid-high end gaming PC. In the Oculus blog post (which incidentally has more details than that linked article and is a better read) they note:

quote:

On the raw rendering costs: a traditional 1080p game at 60Hz requires 124 million shaded pixels per second. In contrast, the Rift runs at 2160×1200 at 90Hz split over dual displays, consuming 233 million pixels per second. At the default eye-target scale, the Rift’s rendering requirements go much higher: around 400 million shaded pixels per second. This means that by raw rendering costs alone, a VR game will require approximately 3x the GPU power of 1080p rendering.

It seems to me the best thing that could happen for VR hardware is for the adoption of a common adaptive sync standard by AMD and Nvidia and incorporating that into VR displays. That would, I think, allow the FPS requirements to be slackened for the same perceived VR experience, and resolution could be increased instead.

I'm still gaming on a 1680x1050 monitor though so I'm not really bothered :v:

repiv posted:

There's no way Oculus would wade into the AMD vs. Nvidia standards war before it's settled and everyone can use a common standard. Agreed that it seems like there's a lot of potential ~synergy~ between the technologies though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

repiv posted:

Per John Carmack adaptive sync is not compatible with low persistence and the latter is more important for a VR experience.