Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Internet Explorer posted:

So will adding an EVGA hybrid cooler void the warranty on an 980 Ti bought directly from NVIDIA? I bought one from them on Friday morning and it hasn't shipped yet (lol same day shipping). Should I cancel and wait for an EVGA card to be in stock if I am planning on installing the cooler?

Is there a warranty sticker on any of the screws on the nvidia card? If not they wouldn't know you took the factory cooler off unless they inspected the grease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Internet Explorer posted:

So will adding an EVGA hybrid cooler void the warranty on an 980 Ti bought directly from NVIDIA? I bought one from them on Friday morning and it hasn't shipped yet (lol same day shipping). Should I cancel and wait for an EVGA card to be in stock if I am planning on installing the cooler?

Well I installed the Hybrid on a Titan X I bought directly from NVIDIA and there were no stickers or anything to determine that I took the stock cooler off, so I have to assume you'd be ok.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's good news. Thanks for the first hand report.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Quick question, not sure if this goes here or the part picking thread. Looking to replace Geforce 560 ti card in my three year old rig. Has an i5-2500K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.3GHz processor on an ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard, 8gb ram, 750 watt power supply, etc.

Just looking to play Witcher 3 ideally, and the upcoming Xcom game. Witcher 2 played pretty well for me. Not sure if the other components are too old for it. Anyways, what's a good upgrade under or around the $200 I paid for the 560ti?

I see the Geforce 750ti mentioned in the OP, that's only $140 on newegg and I like that price a lot. Is that a decent upgrade, or is there a better card in that price range? ATI cards are also welcome. Thanks!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Heavy Metal posted:

Quick question, not sure if this goes here or the part picking thread. Looking to replace Geforce 560 ti card in my three year old rig. Has an i5-2500K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.3GHz processor on an ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard, 8gb ram, 750 watt power supply, etc.

Just looking to play Witcher 3 ideally, and the upcoming Xcom game. Witcher 2 played pretty well for me. Not sure if the other components are too old for it. Anyways, what's a good upgrade under or around the $200 I paid for the 560ti?

I see the Geforce 750ti mentioned in the OP, that's only $140 on newegg and I like that price a lot. Is that a decent upgrade, or is there a better card in that price range? ATI cards are also welcome. Thanks!

you need power comparable to a 970 to play the witcher with that cpu. Myself and tons of other people are playing on decent setting with that same build. You will likely be running it on min setting to see a decent fps if at all.

If you have a ps4 or xbone, those may be the better option for you.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Fauxtool posted:

you need power comparable to a 970 to play the witcher with that cpu. Myself and tons of other people are playing on decent setting with that same build. You will likely be running it on min setting to see a decent fps if at all.

If you have a ps4 or xbone, those may be the better option for you.
Thanks, that saves me some money. Luckily I do have a PS4, though I hear the text is a bit small for TV at the moment, but I also hear they're going to patch that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Heavy Metal posted:

Like Fauxtool said, W3 wants a 970 for good FPS with high-ish settings. The 740ti is a downgrade from your current card, if the max you can spend is $200-ish then I would recommend a Radeon R9 290, it has 4GB of memory which is very important for W3 and other games going forward, it's a substantial upgrade from your 560ti and you can find it for a little over $200 after rebate, looking on newegg right now and there is this one for $219.99 after rebate. I would wait a bit before buying because the new AMD cards are set to come out pretty soon and you might see closeout sales on the old stock. If you really can't afford the card I mentioned then I would just wait and save up some more money for a 970, everything below the 290 and 970 has too little memory or too little processing power to justify getting over waiting and saving for something better.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Vram usage posted:

We have seen some scenes use a little more and others a little less, but it's all cool really. We have not been able to pass 2 GB of graphics memory. Meaning the game doesn't use huge succulent textures, but rather renders quality shaders in-game, you can tell the programmers put a lot of work into this. Once you go to Ultra HD we'll close in at 2GB, but that's an incredibly small number for the game in terms of graphics memory.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/the-witcher-3-graphics-performance-review,9.html

A 285 or a 960 are more in the price range both would probably be fine with a few settings turned down.

Tanreall fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 8, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Like Fauxtool said, W3 wants a 970 for good FPS with high-ish settings. The 740ti is a downgrade from your current card, if the max you can spend is $200-ish then I would recommend a Radeon R9 290, it has 4GB of memory which is very important for W3 and other games going forward, it's a substantial upgrade from your 560ti and you can find it for a little over $200 after rebate, looking on newegg right now and there is this one for $219.99 after rebate. I would wait a bit before buying because the new AMD cards are set to come out pretty soon and you might see closeout sales on the old stock. If you really can't afford the card I mentioned then I would just wait and save up some more money for a 970, everything below the 290 and 970 has too little memory or too little processing power to justify getting over waiting and saving for something better.
Thanks for the info there, I'll keep an eye out for a good 290 at a good price, probably will be a while longer before a good 970 is in a range I'm comfy with.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
390X highly suggested to be 290X rebrand, as per website whoopsie from XFX:

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/AMD-R9-390X-Confirmed-Hawaii-Rebrand-Leaked-Box-Shot

I'm not sure if I'm still in denial or not. I probably am.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I'd have said I wouldn't trust that fake rear end looking picture but then I realized it was on XFX's website :X

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I'd have said I wouldn't trust that fake rear end looking picture but then I realized it was on XFX's website :X

It's all but 100% confirmed at this point.

On the other had there will apparently be 3 different versions of the Fury card: Fury XT Fury PRO and Fury Nano.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Bleh Maestro posted:

It's all but 100% confirmed at this point.

On the other had there will apparently be 3 different versions of the Fury card: Fury XT Fury PRO and Fury Nano.

"Fury Nano" makes me think of a laptop card.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Heavy Metal posted:

Thanks for the info there, I'll keep an eye out for a good 290 at a good price, probably will be a while longer before a good 970 is in a range I'm comfy with.

The 290 right now is the best pick for price for performance if you get a good one with an aftermarket cooler like the Sapphire Tri-X or the PowerColors currently available for a pretty good price on newegg.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/AMD-R9-390X-Confirmed-Hawaii-Rebrand-Leaked-Box-Shot

I'm not sure if I'm still in denial or not. I probably am.

We've known for a while the 390 is going to be using GDDR5 and all that, the question is whether it's just straight up Hawaii or it's Granada and whether the latter actually means something meaningful, like it got a Fermi-style respin, which did wonders for that overly hot pile of junk.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

AMD needs all the worthwhile mobile cards they can get.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 8, 2015

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
A friend's 7970's kicked and he's in the market for a new card. I recommended a 970 to him, however I am unsure of which variety of 970 to get. I know EVGA is generally recommended, but are there others worthy of consideration?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Ghostpilot posted:

A friend's 7970's kicked and he's in the market for a new card. I recommended a 970 to him, however I am unsure of which variety of 970 to get. I know EVGA is generally recommended, but are there others worthy of consideration?

MSI, Asus, generally both better received cards in terms of the difference in cooler.

Ceirnian
Nov 4, 2011
I'm the friend, thanks GP for posting for me!

I was thinking about getting this card but I'm no expert. I could probably get one cheaper but I'm more worried about getting it ASAP than the price. Worth it?

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeFo...7%3A11292772011

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Ceirnian posted:

I'm the friend, thanks GP for posting for me!

I was thinking about getting this card but I'm no expert. I could probably get one cheaper but I'm more worried about getting it ASAP than the price. Worth it?

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeFo...7%3A11292772011

The MSI version which is also another choice, is only $319.99 after the mail in rebate.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Quite frankly that's fine (the 290X is still a pretty decent card) as long as its price is appropriate and the various Fury cards perform well. But if they think anyone's dumb enough to pay $350 for a rebadge of a card you can get for $250 right now...well they're probably right, but they really shouldn't be.

Then again, what the hell is the point of a 8GB 290X? 8GB isn't really useful until you get above 1440p, and quite frankly the 290X isn't enough card to handle above 1440p gracefully.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

DrDork posted:

Quite frankly that's fine (the 290X is still a pretty decent card) as long as its price is appropriate and the various Fury cards perform well. But if they think anyone's dumb enough to pay $350 for a rebadge of a card you can get for $250 right now...well they're probably right, but they really shouldn't be.

Then again, what the hell is the point of a 8GB 290X? 8GB isn't really useful until you get above 1440p, and quite frankly the 290X isn't enough card to handle above 1440p gracefully.

Not sure but I know there are enough people out there who will have no idea they are re-brands and also I have a friend who literally believes the only spec that matters on a GPU is how many GeeBees it has. So anyone like that will be like "OMGee 390x has 8GeeBees!!"

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
8gb of bad graphics!

Considering that the high end cards almost always have the most memory its not a completely wrong line of reasoning to arrive at not knowing much about specs

4gb over 2gb on a 960 makes marginal fps improvements, but i cant really see 8 doing much for a 290.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 8, 2015

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Alveolar fibrosis don't give a damn.
Is there any reason to consider a 980 at the $500.00 mark versus committing to a 980 ti? My current monitor is the biggest factor in staying in the 1080p 144hz realm for a while (benq xl2720t) and I don't see migrating to 1440 or beyond a strong possibility for a while. The rest of my rig is completely at ends with my 760 card and bottle necks pretty hard. Witcher madness is demanding a sacrifice from my bank account. I know the 970/980 ti debate has been had in regards to 1080p gaming, would appreciate some guidance on this though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I would like an HBM-enabled FirePro card I can drop into my work laptop plz. Nvidia hasn't updated their professional mobile graphics lineup in a while, and the one I've got is starting to chug. x.x;;

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

aellisr posted:

Is there any reason to consider a 980 at the $500.00 mark versus committing to a 980 ti? My current monitor is the biggest factor in staying in the 1080p 144hz realm for a while (benq xl2720t) and I don't see migrating to 1440 or beyond a strong possibility for a while. The rest of my rig is completely at ends with my 760 card and bottle necks pretty hard. Witcher madness is demanding a sacrifice from my bank account. I know the 970/980 ti debate has been had in regards to 1080p gaming, would appreciate some guidance on this though.

Unless you find a real cheap open box somewhere or are willing to go used, a 980 would be a real waste for 1080p and it's really just a bad buy all around now that the 980ti is out and if you're definitely staying at 1080p until your next upgrade at least just save the $200 and get a 970. I'm gaming witcher 3 just fine on full high settings minus hair works at 1440p on a 970.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
1920*1080*144 is 35% more pixels per second than 2560*1440*60. That combined with a potential usage for higher AA, or if you want to run ultra settings you might have a case for going higher than a 970. It is uncertain whether you would actually be able to tell the difference in quality.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
The last time I updated my Nvidia drivers, the custom resolution I run games at no longer worked. I had to roll back.

Why would it work now but not afterwards?

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Alveolar fibrosis don't give a damn.

Hamburger Test posted:

1920*1080*144 is 35% more pixels per second than 2560*1440*60. That combined with a potential usage for higher AA, or if you want to run ultra settings you might have a case for going higher than a 970. It is uncertain whether you would actually be able to tell the difference in quality.

The lure of ultra settings in the 1080 environment and positioning myself for 980 ti SLI when the next system overhaul strikes is what has me considering that option. Availability is more of a limiting factor than price for me at the moment.

Bleh Maestro posted:

Unless you find a real cheap open box somewhere or are willing to go used, a 980 would be a real waste for 1080p and it's really just a bad buy all around now that the 980ti is out and if you're definitely staying at 1080p until your next upgrade at least just save the $200 and get a 970. I'm gaming witcher 3 just fine on full high settings minus hair works at 1440p on a 970.

I honestly think I may wind up going the 970 route with one of MSI's cards, thanks for the input. Sometimes being sensible is the better part of valor.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont know whether its the new game patch or a new nvidia driver, but I am noticing a lot of missing textures playing witcher 3 where before I had none. Its pretty silky smooth compared to before where it might have chugged a little loading in a town.

What could this be a symptom of?

on a 970 and the temps show nothing unusual.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
In response to someone saying that there were a ton of GTX 970s going for cheap on ebay a while back... is it really cheap if they keep selling for $275-$300-ish?

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

In response to someone saying that there were a ton of GTX 970s going for cheap on ebay a while back... is it really cheap if they keep selling for $275-$300-ish?

Personally I couldnt trust buying a GPU second hand.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Not worth the hassle and risk if it's more than say 220$, especially with the Batmann deal still going on. You just know it's gonna be a coilwhining lemon or from a clocker who pushed it to 1.5GHz.
Basically you should have bought a new one when they had the Witcher+Arkham double deal :smith:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

If you're going to buy one used, now's likely the best time, because a bunch of people are signing up to get their wallets double dipped this generation. It's not like getting a reference 290 used where you know for certain that it was stuffed up next to three more in a closet mining buttcoin 24/7. Still, used is taking a chance, especially without a good transferrable warranty.

I'd seriously consider a 290 or 290X if I were looking to shave dollars, they'll go obsolete at the same time as a 970 and cost a good chunk less for slightly worse performance.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 8, 2015

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I would like an HBM-enabled FirePro card I can drop into my work laptop plz. Nvidia hasn't updated their professional mobile graphics lineup in a while, and the one I've got is starting to chug. x.x;;

I blame Lenovo for putting lovely or no dedicated graphics at all in their Thinkpad line for the last several years. At least for the US market.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Seamonster posted:

I blame Lenovo for putting lovely or no dedicated graphics at all in their Thinkpad line for the last several years. At least for the US market.

This is so obnoxious. The trackpoint is still a huuuuge draw to me (I hate touchpads compared to trackpoint mousing) but the graphics options on thinkpads are all total garbage. At best you can way overpay for a Quadro 2000m. Yipee.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So when do we get the next video of the toothless laughing guy as Nvidia rep? 'Cause they must be laughing themselves hoarse right now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The R7 370 is.... a 270 lol. They arn't even properly rebranding where its based on last years higher end part.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Don Lapre posted:

The R7 370 is.... a 270 lol. They arn't even properly rebranding where its based on last years higher end part.

It's beyond belief, to be honest. What a ridiculous "plan".

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-300-series-pricing-confirmed-aggressive/ pricing dropped it seems. Still its higher than the last gen but I dont see how anyone could expect otherwise. They dug that hole by dropping the price so steeply to compete and by introducing rebrands :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Do we have any ideas on 4GB Tonga yet? I know 285 were pretty lovely, but IIRC that was mostly due to lovely clocks/low ram, but performance per clock was actually pretty good? Or am I misremembering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Those prices are competitive enough that if true they lend a lot of credence to the mostly rebrand lineup with a bit of boost to Hawaii that they're proposing. Other than the 970 and 980 ti, there's a lot of room to easily beat NV on price/performance. I don't believe the high prices and rebrand lineup were compatible. Sucks if it is a bunch of rebrands, but I hope the 380(X) slaughters the 960, that card's a joke.

285 brought some cool architecture advances that let it punch above its weight, but it was a dumping ground for trash silicon. The chips that went to apple perform better and use less power. 380 should hopefully be a cool card.