Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Heat talk made me check my temps and discover that I must have inadvertently closed Multi-Display Power Saver at some point because both of my cards were clocked up to full speed even at the desktop. Stupid nVidia drivers still can't properly handle mismatched monitors for whatever reason, so my top card was at 64C with the bottom at 46. Guess that explains why my computer room's felt extra hot the last few days.

Anyone know why nVidia seems to have trouble with this while a third-party tool can make it work as expected? I'd love to run three matching monitors but I don't think my stand can fit three monitors across, not to mention the extra cost of getting two more 144Hz panels when only the center one would be used for most games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Have you tried putting a bucket of ice (raised on a stand of some sort) just below the bottom edge of the pedestal fan blades?

Hmm. Will try that tomorrow, thanks. Temps are back to sane levels now that the sun's down.

Ozz81 posted:

Kinda what I was thinking - at this rate he might even be better off doing a homemade DIY foam cooler A/C, can't be worse than what he's already dealing with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaC0dlRENk0

I have never seen this before but I am certainly intrigued.

Bleh Maestro posted:

Might as well just keep posting on SA and shooting everything down than actually do any looking or research? Oh well. Stay miserable if you want to.

I bought an AMD card in 2015. I am pretty much a masochist.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Jago posted:

He means, turn off the computer or get rid of the 290 for something with less wattage.

Yeah, I think replacing the graphics card in that situation when he can't afford air conditioning will be a terrible use of his money.

I know it's fun to ride the "AMD is so hot" train, but people have lost sight of how many watts the difference is between say, a 290 and a 970. It's a decent amount, but in the case of heating a room, it's absolutely insignificant. If he has more than one incandescent bulb in use, changing those for LED would yield a better result, for example.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 2, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Kazinsal posted:

Hmm. Will try that tomorrow, thanks. Temps are back to sane levels now that the sun's down.

I have never seen this before but I am certainly intrigued.

I bought an AMD card in 2015. I am pretty much a masochist.

You want something with a large opening - more of a dish than a bucket. The idea is that the air from the fan is cooled as it passes over the ice.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ozz81 posted:

Kinda what I was thinking - at this rate he might even be better off doing a homemade DIY foam cooler A/C, can't be worse than what he's already dealing with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaC0dlRENk0

This is a knockoff of a technology that was very popular before the advent of modern A/C or refridgeration. What he wants to build is a swamp cooler. Same general idea but instead of pulling air over a bottle of ice to transfer energy from the solid->liquid phase change, you're pulling air through a soaker pad to transfer energy from the liquid->gas phase change.

It'll consume a lot less power since you can run it on tap water rather than ice, and it can be run for a much longer period without intervention. You can run ice water in a swamp cooler too if you want, of course.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 2, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

*thinks about the $1000 electricity bill I got running a small A/C unit overseas to keep it a frosty 80 degrees*

How? My bill is never over about 120 a month during the summer and I cool a 1400sqft house to 74.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

How? My bill is never over about 120 a month during the summer and I cool a 1400sqft house to 74.

Countries that aren't America have enormously higher electricity costs. Air-conditioning is hence a lot rarer.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Paul MaudDib posted:

This is a knockoff of a technology that was very popular before the advent of modern A/C or refridgeration. What he wants to build is a swamp cooler. Same general idea but instead of pulling air over a bottle of ice to transfer energy from the solid->liquid phase change, you're pulling air through a soaker pad to transfer energy from the liquid->gas phase change.

It'll consume a lot less power since you can run it on tap water rather than ice, and it can be run for a much longer period without intervention. You can run ice water in a swamp cooler too if you want, of course.

The irony is that swamp coolers don't work in actual swamps. I've seen somebody try and use them in Houston, they do jack poo poo when its 85% or more humidity all the time and just make it more miserable.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

veedubfreak posted:

One of the greatest things in america is highly regulated water and electricity prices. You take it for granted, like I did, until you go somewhere where thats less the case. Thus, $1000 bills for 80 degree apartments in an otherwise first world country - and the explanation is "supply and demand :downs:" even when they publicly report billion dollar profits lol

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
I wonder when EVGA going to put some of their Hybrid Cooler kits for the 980 ti available in Canada elsewhere than on their site, haven't found any other website stocking it other than the regular 980 Hybrid cooler one.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

One of the greatest things in america is highly regulated water and electricity prices. You take it for granted, like I did, until you go somewhere where thats less the case. Thus, $1000 bills for 80 degree apartments in an otherwise first world country - and the explanation is "supply and demand :downs:" even when they publicly report billion dollar profits lol

That's the sort of preposterous pretending a monopoly is at all affected by the market bullshit I'd expect from the US if I expected it from anyone.

Also anandtech has their Fury review up and it looks like half the review is analysis.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

That's the sort of preposterous pretending a monopoly is at all affected by the market bullshit I'd expect from the US if I expected it from anyone.

Also anandtech has their Fury review up and it looks like half the review is analysis.

Yeah we have it good in a few ways. Really, extremely good in fact. The worst part is, people get used to almost anything, so we need to be careful about letting things slide... complacency is dangerous. But anyway, I cant believe how far off I've gone about something not gpu related lol.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I think the anandtech review is pretty good. Their conclusion though, is one you would generally expect.

quote:

Once you get to a straight-up comparison, the problem AMD faces is that the GTX 980 Ti is the safer bet. On average it performs better at every resolution, it has more VRAM, it consumes a bit less power, and NVIDIA’s drivers are lean enough that we aren’t seeing CPU bottlenecking that would impact owners of 144Hz displays. To that end the R9 Fury X is by no means a bad card – in fact it’s quite a good card – but NVIDIA struck first and struck with a slightly better card, and this is the situation AMD must face. At the end of the day one could do just fine with the R9 Fury X, it’s just not what I believe to be the best card at $649.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So are there no water blocks for the 980 Ti other than reference (same as Titan-X)?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Thus, $1000 bills for 80 degree apartments in an otherwise first world country

The whole situation around here (europe) is getting silly right now. Electricity prices in Germany are skyrocketing, mostly due to solar/wind subsidies, while everyone is still panicking over fukushima. It must be really really nice being a French nuclear plant right now, selling power to German AMD users :v:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Electricity isn't regulated everywhere in America, I have to choose from between 300 different electric companies and plans and it's a giant pain in the rear end.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

veedubfreak posted:

So are there no water blocks for the 980 Ti other than reference (same as Titan-X)?

There will probably be a classified water block from EK and direct from EVGA.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Uh. Yeah. About that "highly regulated" thing... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_electricity_crisis

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Twerk from Home posted:

Electricity isn't regulated everywhere in America, I have to choose from between 300 different electric companies and plans and it's a giant pain in the rear end.

Yeah but the price floor is a result of it, and all those power "companies" are simply buying power from the power plants of which there are just a few (still heavily regulated). You can usually see it on the bill who owns the plant itself and who owns the transmission lines, and the company itself is just skimming off the top and essentially being a receptacle to drop money into. My comment about slipping is referring to this as this is becoming more common, which could potentially lead to increased prices. Imagine the power industry turning into the cable/internet industry, for example. As another example along those lines, the country I was referring to was South Korea with the exorbitant electricity costs , however I could get 100 down and 100 up internet for $15 a month (this was the slowest speed available 5 years ago where I was).

To be clear though I have no problem with all these companies acting as middle men as it promotes competition to keep those particular customer service costs low, but I am pessimistic about "writing on the wall" stuff.

Anyways, appreciate it :( it doesn't necessarily have to stay this way.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Hey, first time in this thread (I think) and been a while since I've thought about PC tech.
Anyway, I'm currently running a PC with a 2GB 7870 and i5 2500k - pretty good for the most part, but I've started to notice more and more in the most recent games that I'm not always hitting 60 at 1080p.
I'm not planning to upgrade straight away, but I probably will eventually, what would be a reasonable upgrade at this point, that should be able to max out most games at 1080/60? It seems like this benchmark is actually becoming quite difficult recently, would any upgrade right now make a noticeable difference for me? I wouldn't want to do Crossfire/SLI, and I also don't mind whether it's Nvidia or AMD.
I've been eyeing the 970, but is it worth it, or should I wait for something that's coming soon to release, or would there be a better choice at a reasonable price range?
Thanks!

PSU is 650W if that matters, I think that's more than I use in my current build anyway.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
At 1080p, 970 I'm pretty sure. Unless you can snag a cheaper 290x? I think they're mostly even these days.

The PSU is fine.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

sout posted:

Hey, first time in this thread (I think) and been a while since I've thought about PC tech.
Anyway, I'm currently running a PC with a 2GB 7870 and i5 2500k - pretty good for the most part, but I've started to notice more and more in the most recent games that I'm not always hitting 60 at 1080p.
I'm not planning to upgrade straight away, but I probably will eventually, what would be a reasonable upgrade at this point, that should be able to max out most games at 1080/60? It seems like this benchmark is actually becoming quite difficult recently, would any upgrade right now make a noticeable difference for me? I wouldn't want to do Crossfire/SLI, and I also don't mind whether it's Nvidia or AMD.
I've been eyeing the 970, but is it worth it, or should I wait for something that's coming soon to release, or would there be a better choice at a reasonable price range?
Thanks!

PSU is 650W if that matters, I think that's more than I use in my current build anyway.

You won't be sad if you just buy a 970, it offers a good performance increase over your 7870. However, if you wait a few weeks, the AMD Fury is out; might be worth seeing what the benchmarks are like. It might help shift prices in the market. That said, if you're eyeing 970s, it might be a bit high in price.

As long as it's a decent quality PSU, that's OK. I hope you've overclocked that Sandy Bridge!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 2, 2015

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Just ordered a 980ti. Should be a nice upgrade from the 770 I currently have. Question: Do I need to do anything driver-wise before installing the new card?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Good choice. The 980ti is sweet. So long as you are using a driver new enough to have 980ti support, you will be fine. Just plug in the new card and play.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Just ordered a 980ti. Should be a nice upgrade from the 770 I currently have. Question: Do I need to do anything driver-wise before installing the new card?

This is just my personal experience, I have had performance issues from swapping cards, even within the same generation and same brand and sometimes even the same card. For example in fact I had a few 770's at one point of different brands and suddenly I was getting lower heaven scores that I was accustomed to. I would have probably never known there was an issue if I hadn't had other 770's fresh in my mind, but all it took was going to add or remove programs and uninstalling all nvidia and reinstalling the same driver and it was back to normal. I was fine from there until I moved up to 780ti's where I experienced the same issue (or worse, cant remember, I think it was actually crashing) and I had to take it one step further and do a safe mode driver cleaner program from guru3d. It was pretty funny, it detected every card I have ever put on that machine which resulted in a huge huge list, so at the very least there is some kind of residual information.

Ever since then I reinstall drivers with every card since it really isnt a lot of time or effort in the long run, and I'm paranoid I'm not getting full performance out of the card. But in theory and very likely in common practice just swapping the card will work just fine since it is the same driver package.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Twerk from Home posted:

The irony is that swamp coolers don't work in actual swamps. I've seen somebody try and use them in Houston, they do jack poo poo when its 85% or more humidity all the time and just make it more miserable.

True - the cooling comes from the phase change as the water evaporates. If it's so humid the water can't evaporate then it doesn't work. In which case you'd be better off with the ice cooler thing.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

HalloKitty posted:

You won't be sad if you just buy a 970, it offers a good performance increase over your 7870. However, if you wait a few weeks, the AMD Fury is out; might be worth seeing what the benchmarks are like. It might help shift prices in the market. That said, if you're eyeing 970s, it might be a bit high in price.

As long as it's a decent quality PSU, that's OK. I hope you've overclocked that Sandy Bridge!

You know it! Cheers man, I'll keep an eye on other things but the 970 is in my crosshairs right now then.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
So I just dropped the cash for the MSI 980Ti, here's hoping I win the silicon lotto and can crank it to 1400 and leave it there forever and ever.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

So I just dropped the cash for the MSI 980Ti, here's hoping I win the silicon lotto and can crank it to 1400 and leave it there forever and ever.

That should be easy, almost all of them go to 1450, the real test is how far past 1400 it will go. :getin:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I understand there's some weirdness about the 970's VRAM - the fact that the last 0.5gb is somehow seperate from the other 3.5gb.
Is this an actual issue?
I also have no real idea what settings require what amount of vram etc etc.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Nope. Don't worry about it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

sout posted:

I understand there's some weirdness about the 970's VRAM - the fact that the last 0.5gb is somehow seperate from the other 3.5gb.
Is this an actual issue?
I also have no real idea what settings require what amount of vram etc etc.

Quite right, the last half a gig of the VRAM on a 970 is absolutely dog slow, and can cause problems if you reach into it...

.. however, NVIDIA has messed with the drivers so it tries as hard as possible to keep everything in the first 3.5.

It makes literally no difference on whether we still recommend it or not, because it's still a good card.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

I have apparently lost the silicon lotto as it seems I cannot push my 980ti ACX beyond 1200 :smith: I guess it's a good problem to have. Also I'm pretty new to GPU OCs so there could just be something I'm missing.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

People are reporting the core clock with boost on. Make sure you are actually taxing your card. Like, keep afterburner loaded up, alt-tab out of your game, and look to see what your card was running at.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Yeah aren't the factory boost clocks higher than 1200 or at least close

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

Quite right, the last half a gig of the VRAM on a 970 is absolutely dog slow, and can cause problems if you reach into it...

.. however, NVIDIA has messed with the drivers so it tries as hard as possible to keep everything in the first 3.5.

It makes literally no difference on whether we still recommend it or not, because it's still a good card.
It only matters if you're running 2.5-4k, at which point why didn't you buy a 980ti as well with that kind of moneyhat in your possession? (Overclocked monitors from inferior-binned panels notwithstanding)

It's hands down the best card for everyone with a ~22" 1080p monitor, or 1920x1200 displays before they started getting marked up for no real reason. I almost regret going for the 4790t to replace my 4670t first before getting a SFF 970 but the card market isn't going to change or shift within the next 1.5 years if at all, but high-efficiency OEM chips start getting the axe as close as a month after a new architecture comes out.

Plus I get to work on a new cramped build project with the 4670t :madmax:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I got my GTX 980 TI G1 GAMING gpu overclocked to 1507 mhz at boost, any higher than that I start seeing artifacts.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 2, 2015

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That should be easy, almost all of them go to 1450, the real test is how far past 1400 it will go. :getin:

God I hope so, I'm sick and loving tired of playing any modern game at a glorious 27 FPS.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
EVGA bstock is back in stock, $240 for 970, $370 for 980

http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

This is an interesting card, with a custom PCB featuring a 14-phase power regulation circuit for only $700, while the competition in the same price bracket from the MSI Gaming 6G custom card, and the upcoming GALAX Hall of Fame custom design only offer 8-phase power regulation. GALAX also offers a 16-phase custom board, but at a significantly steeper $800 MSRP this beast is only really worth the premium to people who want to try to break world records with it under liquid nitrogen. 8-phase is probably reasonable for very aggressive overclocks on water or chilled water, although I certainly would not mind a 14-phase board at the same price.

Either way, there's still no word what the maximum voltage attainable by either of these 3 boards yet. Presumably higher that the reference design, which is capable of delivering a paltry +87mV over the stock maximum.