Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

fletcher posted:

Same exact thing happened to me. If you use Firefox, try disabling Hardware Acceleration in the Firefox preferences. That of all things was causing my constant crashes with anything after 314.22.

That and Nvidia's drivers have been pretty buggy since what, the 319 or 320 revisions? I used 314.22 as soon as I installed my 670 because I've heard nothing but horror stories about crashes, BSODs and performance problems with anything after that version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Isn't this that dude that posts every wild theory that crops up well before any reputable site touches it? Also, 10gigs of vram sounds like a weird number, surely it would be 6 or 12 gigs? I smell bullshit. (If it is real I can only say thank god I didn't buy a 780ti yet.)

I also saw a reference to an AMD vesuvius. If that product is real it's going to be hilarious watching AMD try to cool it with their pathetic cooler.

Agree here, even the Titan had 6GB, and most cards now are 2GB, 3GB, and 4GB, so it would make more sense for the 790 to have either 6GB, 8GB or 12GB of onboard memory. If the 790 ends up being a real dual 780/780Ti card, I'd bet it ends up being an 8GB card with the same memory bus width of the current generation. I'd love to see EVGA make a dual GPU ACX cooler for that monster, if it's possible.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

^ Running in windowed mode, perhaps? I think Alt+ Enter will put it back to full screen, I've accidentally done that before and while it looks like fullscreen, the window goes outside the boundaries of the display and it looks "off".

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

deimos posted:

Specially since they are pushing for 9 to replace XP. I don't mind the shorter dev cycles if it means more cutting edge features as long as they don't gouge for updates, hopefully MS makes 9 a sub $60 upgrade.

I could see them doing a cheap upgrade like they did when 8 came out. I remember getting a voucher to upgrade to 8 for like $40 when it released, sure beats shelling out like $130 or more for full OEM.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Ignoarints posted:

If it's something you don't mind doing, changing the paste makes a significant difference even with a brand new card. But if you do, the type of paste makes a pretty real difference. MX-4 is probably the easiest to get in stores.

All really depends on the card manufacturer - some put too little paste, some put just the right amount, others glop it on so badly that it oozes out over the top of the chip and makes temperatures worse. I've always gone the route of replacing the paste after making sure the card is tested and working normally.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Eddain posted:

So recently I've noticed that my GPU has been running a lot hotter than usual. Before I was idling at around 37C but now it's above 50C. When I do any sort of gaming it's like 70-90C with full heat blasting in my face (the fans are back/top). The only major change I've done is gotten a 27" Ultrasharp and I'm now on 2560x1440 as opposed to 1920x1080.

I have a 570 GTX. Is it basically overworking itself trying to play games at that resolution at High settings?

Like Jago said, might be a good time to take a look at the card to see if it's dusty and needs cleaning. Pull the shroud, blow out the fins on the heatsink, and take a clean soft bristle toothbrush to scrub any gunk/dust out of the fan itself. Also, do you have anything set up where you can set the fan at a certain percentage by default (e.g. EVGA Precision, MSI Afterburner)? I use Afterburner for my 670 FTW and keep the fan around 45% for regular use, then have a couple other profiles set up for gaming where I can push the fan higher and keep it constant, versus having it change based on temperature.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Eddain posted:

Man, I'm embarrassed to admit that not once in all my time dusting my tower did I ever think to remove the GPU and actually dust its fan. It was clogged like hell and so much came out. My idle temps are now almost 15C lower than before!

The nice thing about some of the blower cards is that the plastic shroud is super easy to take off - either just unclips or has a few screws to pop out. As much poo poo as some of them get for being noisy, the ones from like the GTX 400 series on are super easy to disassemble and reassemble without much trouble or worry. The soft bristle toothbrush trick I mentioned has been the best IMHO for removing dust and crap from the fan without concern about damaging parts around it.

Wankie posted:

The chinese wall of dust for the 4850 is legendary, I had to clean mine out twice. The first time was easy because a high powered vac could suck out the primary blockage without disassembling the card's cooler. The second time I had to follow this:
Skip to 3:20.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Zgse9xj18

Yeah, hate to say but this dude probably isn't the brightest crayon in the box. Could've blown most of that dust out with compressed air without removing the shroud (he blows on it with his mouth instead), and the idiot spreads new paste on with his goddamn finger (risking getting contaminants in the paste from his hands, like dirt or oil) without cleaning the old stuff off first :psyduck: chances are, he hadn't cleaned that dust out for months, I've always had a habit of cleaning my PC out every 2-3 months regardless of how hot it gets.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 7, 2014

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Chafe posted:

How does one add VRM cooling without voiding warranty? I got gifted XFX's custom cooler R9 290 and holy moly the VRM1 temps are terrible.

Only thing I can think of is some aftermarket heat sinks like what Arctic Cooling uses with their kits. Usually they have thermal tape that can be removed without too much hassle if the card needs to be RMA'd.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Agreed posted:

Unfortunately so. There used to be more companies with similar customer service policies, and they're not all gone (any company that accepts warranty work on a card that's been disassembled is a-okay in my book, that is ballsy and cool for the customer and EVGA is not the only one who does it). EVGA does stand out in that regard in the industry, though. Especially within a generation like this where you've got a number of performance analogs after the refresh, they can generally be counted on to make a warranty replacement slightly in your favor when the card that needs replaced is no longer available new.

This, and isn't EVGA one of the few that will still honor warranty even if you damage your card via overclocking? Obviously as long as the card hasn't been physically modified/damaged by misuse or whatever (e.g. soldering or stuff like that).

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Experto Crede posted:

Has anyone else had an issue in Windows 8.1 of Nvidia experience opening, but not actually showing the window? It shows the preview when you hover on the task bar, but otherwise I can't get the fucker to come up.

Can you Alt-Tab to open it up at all? I've had times where an app will open somewhere off screen where I can't see it, and if Alt-Tab doesn't work, right-clicking the taskbar item, selecting "move" and using the arrow keys will at least show an outline of it so I can move it into view.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Radio Talmudist posted:

I just realized why my R9 290's fans were going crazy. It's my case. I removed the side panel and now they're barely ramping up at all even under heavy load.

I know nothing about airflow and how to remedy this.

What kind of case and fans? You'll need to balance out airflow, sounds like you may have too much exhaust and not enough intake and it's making your card (and other hardware) overheat. Look up the specs on your fans and rearrange as needed to even out the flow of air in your case.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Rastor posted:

Discussion from pages ago, but Computex has brought a few new cases along these lines:

Fractal Design Node 202

Silverstone Raven RVZ02

SilverStone Milo ML08

drat, daddy likes :eyepop:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Mazz posted:

I swear my old GTX 480 could power itself with a closed loop water cooling system and a little steam turbine. The thing used to idle at like 68°C

Hell, I bought a 465 years ago since at the time it was sub $200 and had pretty great performance for a midrange card. I almost crapped myself when I decided to go SLI and noticed the primary card was hitting mid 60s in temperature...running Photoshop. I can't imagine having one or more of the 470-480 cards with how hot they got and the amount of power they used under load...

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

I dont know whether its the new game patch or a new nvidia driver, but I am noticing a lot of missing textures playing witcher 3 where before I had none. Its pretty silky smooth compared to before where it might have chugged a little loading in a town.

What could this be a symptom of?

on a 970 and the temps show nothing unusual.

Hard to say - did you do both the driver update and the game patch around the same time? Or install one patch, play the game, then install the other? I'd start by blowing the graphics driver away and doing a clean install (remove, boot to safe mode, run Driver Sweeper/CCleaner, boot into normal mode & install drivers with AV disabled) then test. If it still happens, most likely it's the game patch, wouldn't doubt it after the wonky/buggy stuff I've seen people experience, especially after perusing the game glitch thread.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

Titans and whatnot can juuust about hit 60 FPS in 4k at high settings reliably, so yea. Choosing between 4k or something like the Acer XB270hu is no contest, take the second one every time. I don't really see much of an advantage to 4k for gaming compared to productivity use.

The only upside I've heard from a few folks I know who game in 4K is being able to turn off eye candy, because at that resolution AA/AF "isn't really necessary" (their words). Even so, 4K with everything turned off is still just scratching the surface, I'm guessing it'll be 2017-18 before we see better performance, and a lot of that depends on competition not stagnating.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

So the Fury cards in both single and Crossfire modes are only 2-4% better overall than 980Ti series cards in the same configuration. They're hotter, chew more power, and require closed loop cooling while the 980s hum along with air cooling. As much as I love AMD, they really gotta get their stuff together before poo poo hits the fan hard, they already lost money with previous gen cards with regard to pricing and re-branding, and with all they hype I expected more from them. Sorry guys, gonna stick with team green on this one :smith:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

They don't require closed loop water cooling, there's an air cooled version and a water cooled version of Fury X, and there are literally no reputable benchmarks available. So, talking poo poo, much?

As much as an easy target AMD has been recently, at least loving wait until the cards are available.

vvv Also totally relevant. We don't know the price.

Dude, chill out - I admit I jumped the gun but it's all based so far on AMD's track record and the 3DMark chart posted on the previous page (but reading comprehension must not be your strong suit), and AMDs 200 series cards have been way more power hungry than competing cards, so it stands to reason that water cooling = hot card that may/may not be able to cool effectively with air (which could very well be wrong).

Not talking poo poo, juts pointing out exactly what's been happening...so, I could easily lob the same your way and call you an AMD fanboy with his panties bunched up his rear end, right? I really want AMD to come out with something competitive, I really do, but their track record lately has been sorely lacking and it's disappointing. But I'll stay quiet until benchmarks, specs and prices are fully revealed so I don't further bruise your already fragile ego and thin skin.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Man I sure wish the 960 wasn't loving garbage

I wish Nvidia would make a 960Ti or equivalent with 256-bit GDDR5 instead of the cruddy 128-bit bus that kills performance at high res with eye candy enabled. I'm still rocking an older 670FTW 2GB card but don't have the funds to drop on a 980/980tTi, but would love a card with more memory and wider bus that hits the $200-250 range.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

beejay posted:

:rolleyes: So 290X owners who are in the know will flash their BIOS, some people will buy a 390X because they have more money than sense, and the world keeps turning.

Problem I see is with tech-savvy customers/enthusiasts picking up on the rebranding and driver stuff. That could potentially put AMD in a bad spot because (a) they're releasing another set of rebadged cards, (b) they're saying these cards are a newer lineup, and (c) they're intentionally being misleading/dishonest about it with their driver optimizations. We've seen other companies get bit by that behavior, and once someone finds out, poo poo tends to blow up pretty quickly.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Its not really being misleading/dishonest with driver optimizations though. drat irritating they're not passing those benefits onto 290/X users? Yea. But not dishonest/misleading.

Literally comparing apples to apples and using an optimization on one card to make it appear that it's performing better than another of the same generation/model? Sounds a bit deceptive to me, in all honesty

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Truga posted:

I hope it is, but unfortunately, I can't wait that long any more. The game I play dropped a graphics upgrade last week and it runs like poo poo now on my overclocked 2x6950 (flashed to 6970 :ssh:) with everything maxed out (I was still getting min 40 fps before).

I have a custom loop now, so cooling won't be a problem and the 980ti seems to overclock forever. So long, AMD, hopefully you'll do better when I upgrade again in 3-4 years. :shobon:

With some of the rumors flying around, I'm hoping AMD can generate enough revenue to stick around in 3-4 years...they haven't been doing so hot financially and really their only positives now are their GPUs and APUs. I really don't want to see them dig any deeper into the hole they're already in, that would suck :smith:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

In my opinion AMD introduced the new HBM stack in the wrong order - the high end card shouldn't have come so soon. Fury Nano or maybe Fury Not-X would have been a better introduction, and the 4GiB of VRAM easier to swallow, and then boom, throw out Fury X when DirectX 12/Vulkan hits its stride, and their drivers are no longer hamstringing the poo poo out of their cards.

I don't think they released in the wrong order, as there should have been more R/D into not having that 4GB limit on HBM. I wonder though, and maybe it's already been brought up - could AMD theoretically pair its HBM with additional GDDR5 on the board? Would that cripple the card, be too expensive or just be something that's not possible to do with current tech? I'd be interested to see if it's a possibility, AMD has been using wider buses for a while on their high-end cards (384 and 512 bit) but wasn't sure if HBM could be compatible with, say, an additional 2-4GB GDDR5 running a 512-bit bus to take away high-res limitations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

StabMasterArson posted:

I don't think it is? But yeah thanks guys, time to ebay enough poo poo to pick one up

Don't forget Newegg and Amazon, they have used/refurb for cheap sometimes, I snagged a 780 3gb a couple weeks back for $230 on Amazon and its been great so far. Craigslist and Ebay tend to have folks asking way too much for even last generation stuff.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

LCL-Dead posted:

Afterburner doesn't even register the voltage or core clocks of my 980. It worked fine when I was running SLI 560 Ti's for OC and fan profiles (and I loved that it auto-booted with windows) but with my 980 it gives me no values, just slider bars.

What version of Afterburner? Did you do a fresh wipe and reload of drivers when you upgraded cards? I've used Afterburner forever (going back to old SLI'd 465 cards a handful of years back) and it's worked for every Nvidia/AMD card I've owned so far. If you have to you can go the OCD driver clean route like I've done which is basically:

- Download new drivers
- Remove PhysX & existing drivers
- Reboot into Safe Mode, run CCleaner/Driver Sweeper, kill any leftover driver files
- Boot into Normal, turn off AV, install newest drivers

People give me poo poo for it but I've never had driver issues outside of an actual problematic driver released by the manufacturer/vendor.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

LCL-Dead posted:

At first I just reinstalled the drivers on top of the existing install as I've never gone the clean install route before.

When Arkham Knight gave me issues and began hard locking my computer I did a complete clean uninstall/reinstall of the drivers in safe mode, though I didn't use a driver sweeping service after the uninstall. I've got CCleaner but didn't know it had that functionality. Derp. I'll double check the Afterburner version when I get home, I'm sure it's out of date.

Clean install is usually best, since you never really know what (if anything) might get overwritten or left behind with the new/old revisions. As for CCleaner, it does some good, basic cleanup, but I've used the registry scan part of it to comb through for any leftover Nvidia/AMD entries to be safe. Driver Sweeper/Driver Fusion is a good app for removing old DLL files and such that get left behind after an uninstall, I've been using Sweeper 3.1.0 and it does a really thorough job (only reason I don't use Fusion is because it moved from freeware to "we'll find your problems but you have to pay us to fix them" which seemed at the time like it came out of nowhere).

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Have you tried putting a bucket of ice (raised on a stand of some sort) just below the bottom edge of the pedestal fan blades?

Kinda what I was thinking - at this rate he might even be better off doing a homemade DIY foam cooler A/C, can't be worse than what he's already dealing with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaC0dlRENk0

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Manifest posted:

I need a new card and am on a roughly $200 budget.
My GTX 760 is dying.

Is this the best buck for my bang at that price?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487133
Anyone have negative experiences with heat due to the size?

Check EVGA;s website for their B-Stock stuff - they frequently stock some newer generation cards and you might be able to score a 780 3GB Classified for like $250, I think even 770 2GB models in the $180-220 range. I've got it set to notify me for a couple 970 models, one being the SC for $249, since I'd like to upgrade and EVGA have been pretty great over the years.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

1gnoirents posted:

:wtf: that 980 price. I'm going to be refreshing like mad. I wasn't planning on SLI'ing my but I will at that price lol

edit: I just called micro center and was told they arent carrying that model anymore, which is why its on such a steep sale, and once their gone their gone (which I can only imagine they are gone pretty much everywhere). Edit again, I checked, they are out of stock in every store. You can try and pull a price match on that but I doubt it'd go through. Man I'm pissed I missed this

Also whats up with the air cooling beating the factory water cooling for the fury vs furyx? That's insane. Even the cheapest AIO + cheap rear end bracket absolutely shreds any and all air cooling in general. Did they gently caress it up somehow?

Keep an eye on the EVGA B-stock page too - I've got them set to notify me on a couple. One being a 4GB 970 SC for $249

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Is there any indication that the aftermarket coolers are beefier than a standard air cooler? Is it just a copy paste from say, the 290x? Reason I ask is because I'm still very confused on how the AIO they used for the FuryX runs so hot compared to what appears to be an "average" sized GPU air cooler.

If I had to guess, I'd say the rebrand cards and vanilla Fury cards are definitely beefier, especially when AMD released their initial blower style cooler on the first 200-series cards and it was loud and didn't perform very well. Most other vendors like Sapphire, XFX and anyone else usually put their own aftermarket dual/triple fan solution on that a lot of times has more heatpipes, more fins or a different aluminum/copper mix for better thermals.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, we're coming up on the one year 'birthday' of the 970...maybe nVidia will lower the base price of it to 299, allowing the AIB guys to inch it closer to 249 naturally, without a price mistake or closeout being involved.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that, though. The 970's still the best card in its bracket.

Even if prices don't fall drastically, EVGA still has plenty of B stock cards. I just snagged a 970 FTW there for $279 & they have the stock/sc/ssc cards with both the blower & the ACX between $240-300 come up often. Still wish I'd caught the guy selling 2 970 cards on CL for $450, dude looked to be within 5 minutes of me :(

E: to Hatter, check the EVGA site too, depending on your budget & timing you may be able to at least score a 770/780 in the sub $200 range

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 26, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Mmmm can you return this.. I know OC isnt guaranteed but that is drat near broken in this day and age

Doubtful, unless it's a legitimate defect keeping the card from running at its rated speeds, there's probably not much you can do. Not necessarily "broken" if it can OC a little and still function at/above stock clocks.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

970 FTW card should be arriving today, goddamn I'm anxious to get that beast and run it through the wringer :rms: next purchase may be an upgrade to a 27"+ monitor but I'm good with my 24" IPS for now

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Can't believe how butter smooth my 970FTW card is - easy install, quiet with the ACX cooler, chomps through everything I've thrown at it so far. I've only toyed with OCing a little bit but my card has Samsung RAM that, so far, has hit 1800 without a hiccup, core is running 1330 currently (from stock 1216). Ran through a few loops of Firestrike (Ultra), Heaven, and Valley, even with the fan at 40% the GPU never got past the mid-to-high 50's under full load.

Had some fun tearing around in some games, I was all hyped after watching Mad Max Fury Road so I busted open RAGE and had a little fun tearing around the desert blowing poo poo up :black101: on the upside, I'm going to give my dad my old 770 2GB card as an upgrade to his system, he's still got an old 6870 1GB and it oughta be a nice boost for all his flight sim games :)

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 3, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Mutation posted:

If you're playing old titles don't forget to go into your control panel and enable DSR! That poo poo will make your games look immaculate.

Yep, I definitely did - hadn't used DSR before so I played around a little and have it set to 3x DSR, 15% DSR smoothness, 16x AF, 4xMFAA and everything looks and plays amazing. Only other thing I did was a re-paste on the GPU when I got the card, being that it was an EVGA B-stock card I wasn't sure how fresh the paste was. Overly cautious I guess but I got a big rear end tube of AS5 that's not even half used, so...v:shobon:v

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Warrior Princess posted:

I was only asking because evga bstock 960s are 160$, and I haven't ordered my bstock 750ti just yet, so I'm thinking of getting the 960 instead.

I think the biggest thing is the card being crippled by a 128-bit memory bus, even if it has decent memory. Only so much information you can push through that narrow little funnel, I'd be willing to guess it starts to suffer once you get to higher resolutions and enable eye candy.

Could be wrong though, can anyone confirm/deny?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

Hey guys this thread is really long and the cards recommended in the OP are from 2012.

What is the recommended card for less than $250?

I don't know much about the current market, I only bought the last card for my aging (now dead) computer after the old card but the dust. It had no integrated graphics and I needed to do some work. In a land where higher numbers don't always mean better, I'm not sure where to start.

I currently have an MSI R7 260x, but it's exhibiting a random black screen error that some people get. I purchased it over a year ago so at this point I will just buy a new one.

Oh and I only have a 650w psu

Probably best bet is something in the 280/290 series for AMD - otherwise if you're not against refurb/used cards, Newegg has 900 series refurbs & EVGA has some 700 series cards in the $150-200 along with 900 series around $220-280.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

FaustianQ posted:

Did either one of you bother to explore the linked source where the unmodded air cooled unlocked Fury was still beating up a Fury X? I not trying to stump for AMD here, ASUS used a custom PCB and it's clear that AMD cocked the reference PCB up for Fury and Fury X cards.

Wonder if that had anything to do with the original parts - maybe voltage or other issues causing problems? I know the Fury X WC cards showed near the core and VRMS getting wicked hot under load, even on stock speeds. I'd guess all the work AMD put into trying to make it a smaller card ended up biting them in the rear end and that's why the non-reference PCB cards are performing better.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Do you have another active cooler to put on the 5850 for testing? That'd be your best bet, swap the water block for the original air cooler, fire up and run some diagnostics. Personally I'm wondering if it's the power supply like you said - I've had similar symptoms from old units that just decide to blow a cap or short out at whatever random time (usually 5+ years of use). Chiming in that having a 2nd card is a lifesaver, whether it's a decent one for gaming or just an inexpensive one for troubleshooting/everyday use.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Okay, well, I'l try to be more specific then. The exact SKU I have is 06G-P4-4991-KR

It lists as 1000mhz with a 1076 boost. When I overclock it to +250 offset and run Heaven, when I put EVGA Precision X in the foreground it will spike up to a ceiling of 1477. In most scenes it backs off about 10 or 20mhz but whenever it does max out it's always at 1477mhz.

So they use a lot of wacky math to figure out the top clock then? Is this overall pretty good for the lowest tier of card?

edit: If I increase the overclock another +10 to +260 total, EVGA Precision X is capping at 1487mhz, so at least that seems linear...

I think that's pretty standard- the 970 FTW I have has a base core of 1212, overclocked to 1340 & boost usually hits over 1500 without a problem. Furmark & 3Dmark Firestrike run awesome at full 1080 with everything enabled, DSR @ 4x, 8xSSAA with FXAA on. Haven't even pushed it to its max yet on core/memory yet, Samsung GDDR5 is solid @ 1880 (7520 effective), card rarely gets above mid-high 50s under stress/load with ACX fan @ 40%

sout posted:

Well good, I didn't think it was a problem because I haven't noticed any artefacting or crashes.
sidenote: opening a PC, even to blow condensed air at it, is still terrifying to me, luckily haven't had any issues with breaking stuff yet.

As long as you remember to power off, unplug AC & don't force anything or get anything wet, you're golden. I usually pop the card out, blow some air through the vents/fan & dust the rest liberally. Plus I've cut my hands building Inside so many cases that the deities of x86 are appeased with my blood sacrifices, so I'm kinda immune.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

track day bro! posted:

I'm in the uk and my MSI 970 idles at around 35c in my fairly cramped case, load temps vary from 60/70 depending on what i'm playing and thats with an overclock to 1450mhz.

I realy shouldnt read this thread because I keep looking at 980ti's but I wonder if my psu would cope, its a 6 month old seasonic 550w but I do have two platter drives, 32gb ram and a fairly healthy oc on my cpu. I just wonder if the 980ti might be pushing it a bit too much?

I know Cooler Master & Newegg have power supply calculators on their sites & you can get a rough idea of what you'd need based on exact parts, in many cases. Should still be fairly accurate:

http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/

http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?name=Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator