Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilernLe
Sep 7, 2006
I'm going to eat your face skin.
So I'm thinking of upgrading my old AMD 5970 to something less janky, new. It still runs things reasonably well on high/ultra (minus fxaa) at 1080p, but it hitches every now and then. I also hate how huge it is, how loud it is, and Crossfire in general.

I'd like to go with a single card nVidia solution this time, but I'm so out of the loop on where graphics cards are at the moment. Looking at the newest Tom's Hierarchy chart http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html it seems like the 5970 is still a relatively relevant card and any appreciable improvement is expensive.

The system it's going in is a Phenom II X6 1090t @ 4GHz w/ 16GB RAM. I'd just like some input on what would be a decent upgrade from this old card.

evilernLe fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilernLe
Sep 7, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Your bottleneck is going to be the CPU if you move to a 970.

That's what I figured as well. I'm not really ready to do a total system upgrade yet.

Beyond going that far up the chain, would there be a better card to fit my current system that wouldn't be bottlenecked by my CPU at the moment?

evilernLe
Sep 7, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Well you can always upgrade your CPU and motherboard at a later date. On some games the card will be underperforming, but it'll be hard to tell until you upgrade the CPU or compare notes.

Gotcha. I'll probably grab a GTX980 or 970 and call it a day. Thanks!

evilernLe
Sep 7, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

what? This is a terrible idea for 90% of people and 100% of people gaming at 1080p.

A gtx970 would be an excellent choice however, and you can move it to your new PC when you buy one, which will need to be soon, because that 1090t is well and truly obsolete and holding you back. (I can tell you this from personal experience, I went with a 1090t + 5970 back in 2010 for my previous PC.)

Yeah, this chip is OLD (got it in like, 2010 much like you). My motherboard is a new one that supports all of the FX chips, but from what I gather, they aren't much better for games than an overclocked 1090t. Am I wrong on this? If so, I'll look into an FX chip. If not, I'll just ditch this all together and some point and go back to Intel.