Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Agreed posted:

no lower than a GTX 560 to see benefit rather than drawbacks, recommend a 560Ti or 560Ti-448 to ensure you're not bottlenecking the 680.

What are you basing this on? Last I heard, something like a 560ti would be enormous overkill for dedicated physx processing. Yeah, performance ramps up the more powerful of a dedicated physx card you use, but as long as framerates are playable and you're talking about 'physx using whatever you have on hand', using an older card seems like a good idea if you want to play around with PhysX. There may be a point where a card is so old that it is actually slower than single card physX processing, but I don't think that happens anywhere near a 560.

This article (it's kind of dated, maybe things have changed) shows big gains even using a 9600gt if you want to play with physx.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/articles.php?articleid=138&pageid=4

Also, It's not really that extravagant of a setup anymore- I just upgrade my 460 768mb to a 660ti. I cant get any more than about $65 or so for the 460, so why not check out PhysX on some of the new titles that are using it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Theres also this test, which rather obnoxiously presents all the numbers handwritten on a pad in the middle of the video. I kind of question the validity since he got exactly the same result from a 550ti, 560ti, and 580 as a co-processor, but according to it you get the same performance with a 580 as primary card and either a 550ti or 580 as physx card. a 550ti is like half a 560ti performance wise. I guess really the biggest question is how fast do PhysX demands ramp up with increases in resolution/effects/etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbww3dhzK0M

edit: and, you just edited this in

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 30, 2012

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Agreed posted:

Interpreting the data there is pretty straightforward, the 580 is the limiting factor rendering at that resolution with those detail settings. How that applies to anything faster than a 580 rendering the same thing, insufficient data.

Let me just make sure I'm understanding this right though. Assuming that guys test is run correctly, it suggests (for one game at least) that, with detail settings set to average 60fps on a 580 (which is what most people are going to do), a 550ti, which is half the cores of a 560ti, shows no performance loss over a 580 as a dedicated physx card. It's entirely possible that an even lower card is perfectly sufficient for full performance, right? There is the fact that a 6 series card is worse at physx than a 5series on a per core basis. I guess what it boils down to is proper benchmarking and testing for all this doesn't exist yet. I bet it will when Borderlands 2 comes out.

Do PhysX requirements ramp linearly with with resolution/effects increases or are they independent?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
What about those cards that are 2 gpus on 1 board? does that solve that problem? I realize thats a tiny addressable market, I'm just curious if that particular problem goes away.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Why not run the 4k at 1080p for gaming and get the full 144hz and perfect pixel doubling? Even a 1080 wont run intensive studf at a solid 144fps T 1080p will it? Does gsync require native res or something?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Taima posted:

Seems that the 1070 is going to be the unequivocal best buy this generation.

Maybe, to me the neatest part of this generation is how well Nvidia finally fleshed out the high end. Like, last gen titan was just moronic to purchase unless you needed some of that fancy high precision poo poo or whatever else it could do that I don't understand. I just play games, I'm not a compute unit scientific computing wizard (although that poo poo is really cool, its just not what I do) and for the first time I can look at the Titan, then look at a Vive/Oculus and think 'hmmm, im a full grown man and I make a lot of money and my retirement contributions are all covered and my emergency fund is there and all the other things I could be ridiculed for foregoing to buy a high end video card... its all covered.' and then actually seriously consider buying one, with tangible performance benefits to make me the baddest VR boy on my block, if not my entire city. They even figured out how to squeeze people who cant wait a month before purchasing with this founder edition poo poo. Gentlemen, we are full blown commodities at this point and all of the market points have been identified and fully addressed by Nvidia. Then there is AMD....still feels like its 2003 with those loving idiots

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah I'm sure Jet will make anything right if you press the issue; they're getting off the ground (hence investors funding all their 15% coupons to try to grab market from Amazon) so they can't afford any bad press right now. I would trust them more than Amazon/Newegg who are more and more transitioning into the "we're too big to give a poo poo, deal with it" phase.

Jet was bought by walmart and will spend the next year or two disappearing, I wouldnt expect much in the way of customer service.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Zero VGS posted:

I mean, the PSU I'm using is essentially two stages; I'm using two 240w Dell laptop bricks wired in parallel to send 480 watts DC to the HDPlex, which is really just a DC

Just curious, but why are you doing this?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
You buy space on a cargo aircraft per ULD (unit Load Device) just like on a boat. The plane is not just full of loose boxes, its full of containers that are custom molded to the aircraft. I'm sure they are filling up a ULD with GPUs and shipping it. It's not that outlandish

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_load_device

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Craptacular! posted:

Edit: Well apparently Steam Links were as low as $15 during the Summer Sale so I should probably just hope that comes back.

Its going on right now - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...DKIKX0DER&psc=1

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
The argument Nvidia is making about the intent of GPP (to make it crystal clear what the consumer is buying) is loving hilarious given they are the ones that have been rebadging and hiding specs of cards (particularly egregiously in the mobile space) for years and years

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Wow I was really rooting for you buddy, I thought you'd landed the big one! What a shocking letdown

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Sininu posted:

What. Why would it have 32GB when 16 would be plenty for non-workstation card? Seems really unlikely.

That ethereum DAG keeps growing in size.. they can tell their miners the card will be good through 2070

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
How does it even make sense to acquire the old gpu, rework the cooling shroud, tinker with the bios, and whatever else they did all just to sell it for $50? That’s kind of hilarious

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I'm thinking he is trying to say he timed his entry into the market poorly and shut down his mining ops quickly? He's probably full of poo poo either way

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
So do we bounce 2-3% tomorrow or is this turkey cooked??

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Cygni posted:

nvidia is not going to release any cards that compete with the 2070/2080/2080 Ti in any measure

Yeah Nvidia has never released overlapping 'refresh' cards when they put stuff out that gets mediocre reviews

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
It's be kind of silly to buy a 1080ti at basically the same price as a 2070 super, you're leaving raytracing on the table and cyberpunk 2077 is gonna support it....

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Yeah I'm trying to wrap my head around buying a mini 1070 and putting a Morpheus II on it

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Control runs like rear end even on a 2080ti just so you know

It's unoptimized garbage from a technical pov, good game tho

Literally everyone else's experience differs from yours. I'd say ya got something wrong with ya

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

wargames posted:

VRR is standard for HDMI 2.1 so AMD cards can do it with ease, note all consoles will use AMD stuff so tvs have to support consoles VRR.

Also G-Sync Compatible is just freesync by another name.

Yeah but doesn't it have to be whitelisted by Nvidia to work? So being specifically listed as gsync compatible "matters"

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

TheFluff posted:

brand loyalty is the dumbest poo poo

Not when a specific brand regularly does bad stuff

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Alchenar posted:

No if they'd called it a 2077 they'd be innundated with 'is it as good as a 2080?'

This has definitely never stopped nvidia before

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

VostokProgram posted:

So AMD's joke was "we made a good GPU"?

I think it was a techbro website joke, not amds own

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Am i missing something or is looking at those auctions no different than looking at an ebay listing and going “ooohhh a valuable item for only $1” when theres still 5 days left on the auction? Those arent going to sell way under market rate...

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I am 93% certain Nvidia is familiar with electrical wiring requirements and will take them into consideration when designing new connector standards. Therefore, I can also state, with reasonable certainty, that these new cards will not light you or your power supply on fire.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Alchenar posted:

I did tell someone the other day that they could buy a 3090, or they could buy a 3080 and eat ice cream while they're gaming every day for 4 years until they are ready to upgrade and they'd come out ahead and be happier.

How much ice cream?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Alchenar posted:

I'm calculating assuming you're getting lovely US ice cream idk what your real options are but at a $800 price difference you can spend $200 per year on ice cream, which means if you buy some value strawberry ice cream will get you 2000 pounds of ice cream a year, which is 5.5 pounds a day, or 2.5kg if you live in a country that uses a real measurement system.

I don't know how much the diabetes will set you back in a third world country that doesn't have universal healthcare.

This math definitely does NOT check out, this is why i get my gpu advice from pcworld.com and not some dumb goon

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

HalloKitty posted:

Or just look at anything that isn't a low refresh rate screen, seeing as everything in the world around you is rendered by your brain at the highest refresh rate anyway

Which is 30fps

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Sphyre posted:

I don’t see the problem here. For example as we’ve gone from 480p to 1080p to 4K, the frame rate of movies has also had to increase correspondingly, from 23fps to

Its 24fps and the hobbit movies tried to do 48fps and it was pretty much universally hated

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Kingnothing posted:

Queue ravenous nerds who can’t get their hands on a 3080 that they deserve.

Theyre already queued up waiting on their 3080s heh heh heh (its cue)

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

can we appreciate the cooling system in the ps5's teardown for a moment:
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1313811387815206913

and the liquid metal they're using for a consumer product at scale

Hit me with your best “ps5 is huge” memes, because godDAMN that thing is big. Awesome engineering though

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Fauxtool posted:

can someone recommend me a DP 1.4 cable that works at 10ft long?
The connected monitor is 1440p 144hz

I bought this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D64JVB8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

if it performs to spec it should be fine right?

I bought that cable about a week ago for the exact same use and its fine

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I moved my pc into a closet a while ago and it gets to like 45c in there and the hardware runs at 70-80c but its designed to do that so who cares. It makes life way better. Theres no reason to waste money on a server rack, just put a desktop in the corner of the closet

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Truga posted:

this is a bad idea if you have any sort of files on your pc you want to keep long term. less bad if ssd only, but still p. bad

SSD only and the temp really *doesnt* matter but important stuff goes on google drive anyways. And its not like its at that temp all day and night, just when gaming. The SSD temp varies less than 10c in the closet vs out in open air (I tested it all w/ hwinfo out of curiosity)

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I spent a couple of days doing the discord thing a couple months back to get myself a 3060ti. Paid $460 all in. Had no intention of scalping it but after a couple months use, I just sold it on ebay for $1200. Whatever, fight me. Ill just use my laptop until i can get a 3080 at msrp and then have a basically free gaming pc. The world is spinning out of control

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
But if we form a mob and start lynching all scalpers..... theres power in numbers, pure hearted gamer brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

The Ferret King posted:

Newegg Shuffle is up today and also gave me the option to sign up for text alerts about the shuffle.

Finally, a way to have my phone ping endlessly alerting me to gpus that i cant buy