Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Agreed posted:

Taking a lot of willpower not to just buy one right now but gently caress scalpers.
http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?family=All%20Graphics

The official eVGA shop tends to have some in stock for MSRP. Like right now it has the base GTX 670 for $399, though all the other 670 models are sold out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
The GTX 670 comes in 2GB and 4GB models, if I would like to game at 2560x1440, would the 2GB version suffice? And I'd like to be able to use things like the High-Res texture pack for Skyrim, would that make any difference to go for the 4GB instead?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I haven't seen that error since the 8800GTS 320MB days (like 5 years ago). It always recovered for me too and I never had to restart, which is better than a BSOD even though it was annoying.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
The 660Ti looks pretty unappealing to me.

-The RAM controller is asymmetrical and can not interleave. Meaning essentially it is 1.5GB high performance RAM + 512MB practically thrown in for looks, it is not a true 2GB card. It is possible they can optimize the performance of that 512MB in drivers in the future though.

-Most reviews are running FSAA and not true MSAA, skewing numbers toward the 660Ti because true MSAA is much more demanding on memory

-Most reviews are running Factory-OC'd cards to review with, comparing them to stock ATI cards. They don't even adjust the clock rates downward to stock. 660Ti does not have much OC headroom, whereas 40% overclocks with ATI cards are not unheard of.

Personally I think the 7950 at $330 or even an overclocked 7870 ($270 range) are much better values.

Also why get a $300 card that is best ran on 1080P 4x FSAA when a 560Ti for $100 less can do the same? This card is overkill for 1080P but not good enough for 1440P.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Allaniis posted:

660 Ti feels very meh to me after looking at the reviews. I'd pick it up if I wanted Borderlands 2, but it's priced too close to the 7950. I bet Nvidia will get the early adopters and then quickly drop it to $275 to knock the 7850/7870 around.

Edit: Wait, reviews comparing overclocked 660 Ti to stock 7870? That's not a great comparison. Also, Tom's has starkly different benches, stating 660Ti is equal to 7870.
Toms is the only one who did a fair review I feel. They used MSAA and reference clock rates on all cards. It is very competitive with the 7870 and at stock clock rates I would say it beats it out slightly, but you have some web sites claiming this card is a 7950 killer which is just plain wrong. Crank up the resolution/MSAA and it falls far behind.

The problem is that value-wise, the 7870 has always been either bad or mediocre (overclocking a 7850 being far better value). It is just priced too closely to the 7950 to be worth the downgrade.

I wish they didn't give this card a 192-bit memory bus :( 256 and symmetrical RAM probably would have made it too competitive with the 670 though and cannibalized the market like the 670 did to the 680.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Looks like newegg already dropped the price of the AMD lineup, including the 7870 (there is a Sapphire 7870 for $250 + a $20 MIR so $230). Seems like it has been a very long time since there has been good value in the videocard market.

Sadly I am not going to bite yet just because the Sleeping Dogs promotion hasn't started yet, I actually wonder why they announced that if it doesn't go in effect for weeks. I don't want to buy a card now and get Dirt Showdown if I can get Sleeping Dogs in a couple weeks.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
gently caress it, when Amazon eventually matches neweggs prices on the 7870s I am going to bite, with or without Sleeping Dogs. I'll just pick that game up in the Steam xmas sale for $10 or whatever it is by then.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I can't think of any reason someone would buy a nvidia card right now. Their pricing is just wacky right now. Maybe a slight exception for the 670Ti if that really is your price range ($360-400), though the 7970 can be had for not much more.

Basically it seems like +$10-20 gets you the higher tier AMD card, which blows away the nvidia card below it. Or you can OC its direct competing card, and OC vs OC AMD will still win.

The 660 would be much more appealing with BL2. Kind of sad they didn't extend it to that, I mean it is still an enthusiast card.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Finally picked up a 7870 Myst (Tahiti LE), coming from a GTX 560.

Upsides:
+The performance is a straight upgrade over the 7870, I'd say about 10% at stock and can meet the 7950 Boost with a little overclocking.
+Got it for $235, same price as the 7870's so an excellent value. Plus came with FC3 and Sleeping Dogs
+Good variety of video outputs. DVI, HDMI and 2 DisplayPort. Also came with a DisplayPort->HDMI adapter.
+It can be Crossfired with 7950's. I don't plan on doing that because of the power usage, but I guess it does leave an option open in the future.

Downsides:
-Card is HUGE. Probably the biggest card I've ever had. Had to re-arrange my drives/PSU in my case to get it to fit.
-Uses more power. I don't really care about that since my PSU can handle it.
-The big one: loving fan is loud. It does its job well - I don't even break 70C running Furmark. Making a custom Fan profile in Afterburner fixes this issue somewhat though
-Voltage locked apparently, but I've also heard it is just an issue of software not recognizing the card so who knows.

Overall I'm happy with it. The regular 7870's make more sense though if you want something quieter/smaller and fairly close in performance.

Alpha Mayo fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 27, 2013

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
So comparing those specs to the 750 Ti

> 2.6x the number of cores
> About 18% faster Boost clock rate
> Double memory interface width and About 30% higher memory clock rate, which means 2.6x the memory bandwidth (or 224.3GB/s)

1.18 * 2.6 = 3.068x the core performance of the 750 Ti
2.6x the memory bandwidth of the 750 Ti, which is the same as the 770 but significantly less than the 780Ti
Twice the RAM (4GB vs 2GB)

The 780 Ti has about 2.5x - 3x the performance as the 750Ti, so my guess is we are looking at a card that edges out the 780 Ti at lower memory intensive resolutions like 1080P and likely even 1440P, but starts losing at higher resolutions/anti-aliasing due to the lower bandwidth compared to the 780 Ti.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

veedubfreak posted:

So going by these stats I have to wait for whatever AMD brings out next or the Nvidia 1k to actually get an improvement. Same rops as the 290x: check. Same amount of memory: check. Slower memory throughput that sucks at super high res: check. Able to jam into even the most mediocre machines with a tiny power supply: check.

If these are true numbers, this card might actually have issues keeping up with the 780ti. Will be interesting to see what it actually does.

If specs are true, 970 should be on-par with a 780 Ti. 980 will be about +25% over the 970, but it also looks to be handicapped at high-resolutions with the same 256-bit bus (probably to make room for their $1K card that has a 384 or 512-bit bus).

I really doubt the prices are true though, but if they are then the 970 is a loving awesome deal and the best price/performance card we have seen out of nvidia in years.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I don't like Crossfire because it isn't a reliable performance gain. So many factors go into it (RAM size, card bandwidth, game compatibility, drivers, glitches, frame latency, additional heat and power consumption). When I used to use Crossfire (with dual 5770s), the performance was great if it worked, but drivers tended to be one step forward, two steps backward. This was about 3 years ago so hopefully the driver issue improved.

There is a surprising number of games without any Crossfire support, and when that happens your 2nd card just sits there unable to do anything. It also doesn't work in windowed mode (must use Fullscreen).

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Anyone happen to know which AMD manufacturers offer a transferable warranty these days and have good customer service?

I am thinking about buying a card off ebay, but know many Radeon cards have been through a lot of abuse for coin-mining 24/7 until it was no longer profitable. I'd rather get a card with a warranty that stays with the card and not the original purchaser.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I noticed the 970 is being compared not to a 780, but to a Gigabyte 780 GHZ edition.

Stock 780 is 863/900
780 GHZ is 1020/1072, it is a significantly faster card than the 780

So overall it seems this card sits right in the middle of a 780 and a 780 Ti.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Reviews just went up on guru3d.com

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-and-980-reference-review,1.html

Also, Pricing confirmed:

Guru3D posted:

GTX 980: $549 / 452 EUR (ex VAT)
GTX 970: $329 / 270 EUR (ex VAT)
GTX 760: moves to $219

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
A reference 970 is generally sitting in between a 780 and 780 Ti, or close to the original Titan.
A reference 980 is generally about 10% above a Titan Black.

The overclocks are ridiculous for these cards, with reviewers getting 200-250mhz or higher clock rates, and the cards scale very well overclocked.

Overclocked, 970s are hitting reference 980 performance.
Overclocked, 980s aren't too far off from Titan Z performance.

I am shocked at the price still since I haven't really considered nVidia price/performance competitive in about 5 years.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Knifegrab posted:

So can someone explain the shift in tone? When the pics leaked of the new 900 cards earlier it seemed like most people weren't too excited for the 900 then the whole tone shifted, what caused that?

The price actually being $329 for the 970. This forces AMD to push all their prices down lower, since they have a ridiculous amount of SKUs. It is basically a return of reasonably-priced cards.

Also I think a lot of people have been pissed at how expensive nVidia had been in the 700 series, considering most of those cards are rebadges of the 600 series, and if they weren't a rebadge then they were obscenely expensive (exclusing the 750/750Ti but those are lower-end cards). Last week, $400 with nvidia would only get you a card that originally came out 2.5 years ago. Now $329 gets you a card that beats AMD's top-end single-card, uses much less power, runs cooler and overclocks like crazy.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

DrDork posted:

e; I am kinda surprised that eBay hasn't bothered with a "Report this listing" option yet. You'd think that would be a fairly easy way to nip such issues in the bud.

I'm surprised eBay hasn't been challenged as the only auction site people use in like 20 years. They loving suck.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
1060 is a tad faster and a lot more efficient.

If the GPU situation wasn't crazy I'd say 160 considering it is 3 years old and out of warranty.

But with the situation as it is I'd say 180, 200 if you are desperate.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

“Gentlemen, we need to do something to our upcoming product line in order to reduce sales,” said no one ever.

There was the NES Classic, though that wasn't upcoming, I am still confused why they stopped making them.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

logikv9 posted:

I am extremely tempted to sell off my refurb 1070 for big $$$ now and hopefully sink those costs into a better GPU post-crash but that PayPal 180 day thing is scaring me.

Depends how much you value your paypal account. If you keep your account at 0 balance at all times, the worst that can happen is that they reverse it later and send you into a negative balance. But Paypal balance is considered internet funnymoney, so they can't send that balance to collections. At least they couldn't when I was scammed as a Seller about 5 years ago. I don't know if things have changed.

I was scammed for $400 on ebay. Paypal sent some emails and made some phone calls to me about how I needed to pay to cover the $400 negative balance, but I just ignored them because that sounded like the dumbest thing ever. "Congrats, you've been scammed! Please transfer in $400 to pay for being scammed." It never hit my credit report.

I signed up for a new paypal account a couple months later and haven't had any problems, just don't provide your SSN since it is optional and they track it.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Yeah I checked ebay and my vanilla GTX 1060 6GB that I was slightly annoyed I paid $280 for ($30 above retail!) is now going for $460+ used on ebay, and those are completed listings.

I am probably going to sell mine if I can, I wanted to do Step Up to get the 1070 Ti that I really wanted but if I sell I could hold off and wait for Ampere. I really want mining to be mostly dead by then or I bet nVidia will be raising the gently caress out of MSRP on those cards.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Just use Hynix ram on all your cards. Problem solved

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

VostokProgram posted:

Well that's the thing. Nvidia's fundamental architecture hasn't changed all that much since Kepler or even Fermi. But back before the HD 7000 series, AMD/ATI GPUs were on terascale, a VLIW architecture that's completely different from GCN and Nvidia's Fermi/Kepler/Maxwell etc. (I think the arch is called Tesla but I'm not 100% on that).

I don't know much about architecture but was there anything about the old architecture superior to GCN that might make going back and making a modern version of it superior?

Kind of like how Intel went with Netburst until Prescott, which failed horribly in the end, then went back to the basis of Pentium 3 (Tualatin) for Pentium M and eventually Core?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Craziness. Decided to sell the 1060 6GB and put an ad up on craigslist at 2am for $390. Three responses within an hour. Now I feel like an rear end in a top hat but I am going to raise the price to $440. Microcenter is charging $600+ for it now.

For that much I'll wait for loving Ampere or crypto crash and go back to my 7870 Tahiti.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Well gently caress, all the craigslist interest were 'I AGREE UPON THE AGREED UPON PRICE AND SHALL SEND YOU CASHIER'S CHECK, OKAY?' scams. So I looked into ebay.

I read something that said Final Value fee was "7% on first $50, 5% on remaining". I thought that wasn't too bad, because I remembered it being a flat 10% before, plus 3% to Paypal. So I sold it for $380, and shipped it ($20). Then I check the sale online and the Final Value fee actually was 10% and I can find absolutely no reference to the 7%/5% anywhere.

And of course Paypal says they are going to hold the funds for 3 weeks because I don't have much seller history (I've sold 30 items on ebay though)

So I sold a card I drove 180 miles to Microcenter to pick up the card for $305 after taxes, for net $310, and get to worry about crypto becoming less profitable in the next 3 weeks and the Buyer trying to scam me or return it. Plus it was an EVGA card so I had an opportunity to Step Up to a 1070Ti for $200 if I wanted. Should have just kept it.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Regrettable posted:

I mean, seriously, look at this poo poo. Does this look normal to you?

not a rabbit hole you want to go down..

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Kazinsal posted:

Newegg.ca is listing 1070s for what I paid for a 1080 Ti six months ago.

Jeeeeeeeesus.

EVGA upped the MSRP of their cards too. Including for people who want to use Step Up which is kind of bullshit tbh. Part of the reason I bought my card was thinking I could get a reasonable price on an upgrade later if I wanted even if I had to wait due to the shortages. Then they bumped up the Step Up 1070Ti to $570 which is a dick move.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
When Titan first came out I thought "who the gently caress would spend $1000 on a video card that would be obsolete in two years" and now I see 1080Tis come in stock for $850 and think "hmm not a bad price"

Doesn't Nvidia usually take a bit before launching their mainstream lines when a new gen comes out? And usually follows their X80 card with a much better X80 Ti six months later? Going to be rough the next few months.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Star Man posted:

Prediction: cryptocurrencies will take a deep dive by the end of March and people will be trying to recuperate their sunk costs into mining equipment and investment by selling their used video cards for higher than their original SRPs.

Mining already has taken a deep dive but I think as long as it earns even a dollar more a month than the electricity it costs, miners will refuse to sell their GPUs in large numbers. And I'm sure they will buy up as many Ampere as they can just because of the arms-race aspect. Here's hoping Ampere is somehow lovely at mining.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Stanley Pain posted:

As someone who has had SLI/CROSSFIRE for a number of years upto and including the 970s -- I HIGHLY recommend AGAINST SLI -- these days. Even back when the 970 was the new hotness it was becoming more of a chore to get SLI working properly with new games, if not outright impossible because devs straight up weren't supporting it anymore. I can only imagine it's gotten a LOT worse now.

If money is no object, get the top end card for current generation, update to latest and greatest when performance suffers or you increase your resolution.

Agree with this. I remember having 2 Radeon 5770s, the performance was okay if the game supported it, but microstutter was a real problem and I got so sick of having games not supporting it properly that I "upgraded" to a single GTX 560. Which had about 70% of the performance of the crossfire, but worked with all games and no microstutter.

I don't know if microstutter was ever dealt with but having full performance with no headaches about compatibility is more than worth it.

Also I don't foresee a GTX 1080Ti having trouble with 1080P anytime soon. Consoles would need serious upgrades before game devs are targeting a higher performance level. They just released the PS4 Pro and upgraded Xbone Whatever and neither are any match for a 1080Ti, I think the 1080Ti is about twice as fast as the new Xbox

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Had a 1070 at final checkout on Newegg for $489 and decided against it. Hope that doesn't bite me in the rear end. I'll hold out for a 1070Ti for $450, it has to happen eventually right :ohdear:

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Also if you are trying to get a video card for around MSRP, I can offer some advice.

Don't use Nowinstock.net directly, they even say they lag too much due to the demand. Instead use the Google Groups they set up for notifications:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/nowinstocknet-nvidia-gtx-1070
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/nowinstocknet-nvidia-gtx-1070-ti
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/nowinstocknet-nvidia-gtx-1080-ti

Subscribe to what you are trying to get. Then after subscribing, instead of waiting for email notifications to arrive, download an RSS reader like it's 2002, I like QuiteRSS.
The RSS feeds for those groups can be found on the About link on the Group site.
Then go into your options and set Automatically Update to a ridiculously low value, like 5 seconds. You also want to set up your Notification options so it creates a tray popup.
Make sure to have your billing info up-to-date on the major sites and not-as-popular sites like bhphotovideo.com or nVidia Store so you can check out quickly.

When you get a popup, you have to move on it right away. Consider even keeping images disabled to give you an edge if you are really desperate.
Only problem I have is the QuiteRSS isn't hyperlinking the actual URL, so I have to copy and paste it into a browser. Maybe there is a way to fix that or some other RSS reader might be better, I don't know.

Even with this method I've had zero luck with the Amazon links, probably because of their One Click order making it too easy to snatch up. But it gives you a good shot at cards from any other store.

Or you can just wait another couple weeks for demand to die down (hopefully).

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I caved. 1070Ti for $570 on Newegg.

Now that I have invested against bitcoin crashing in the near term , it will definitely crash before my card gets here.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
1080P is really the target point of the 1060 cards, 3gb or 6gb (the 6gb was the outlier because it cost 25% more with maybe 8-12% more performance).

6gb will stutter less at 1440p but truth is neither are going to be a great experience. They'll definitely be passable if you turn the settings down or consider up scaling from lower resolution rendering. They are really good cards for the money (or were) but they just really aren't meant for 1440p. The idea being that if you could afford a nice 1440p gaming monitor, you'd have the money for a GTX 1070 or better to go with it. Selling a 1080 now and buying one back when mining crashes or hunting down an MSRP Ampere if it somehow doesn't will both be worth a couple months of Medium settings in my opinion.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Paul MaudDib posted:

Serious question though, if consumer Pascal cards won't let you enter P0 state for compute but will for graphics, why haven't we seen someone write a miner that uses those fancy OpenGL compute shaders people were talking about? In theory that should be an extra ~20-30% performance to squeeze out (according to the mining P104s that 1gnoirents or Risky Bisquick or someone posted earlier), that would be a pretty big gain as far as these things go.

On my GTX1060 P0 state was literally just 400mhz of RAM speed, might have been 200mhz actually. You can turn off the P2 Cuda restriction with nvidiaProfileInspector and get that RAM speed back, but with Hynix RAM, RAM clock rates make like no difference on mining performance, the memory controller would never go above 89% utilization and would go down even more the more you overclocked the memory, sometimes it would actually reduce memory performance when overclocked.

Also I feel like I made a mistake paying $570 for a 1070Ti. I wasn't even interested in the 1070Ti when it launched at $450 months ago, but something about only having seconds to decide if I wanted it or not made me buy it.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
That's pretty lame that nvidia locks features if in a VM. I wanted to use GPU passthru but my i5 2500K doesn't support VT-D. But in the future I was thinking about trying to build essentially a gaming VDI server using it, if GPU mining rigs ever go on a fire sale on ebay. Find an old Xeon with 10+ cores, 4x GPUs, and 32GB RAM then a Linux hypervisor with VT-D. I don't know if this idea is workable or not.

edit: looks like this guy tried this https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Multi-headed-VMWare-Gaming-Setup-564/

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

redeyes posted:

They named the compute card Ampere and the gaming card Turing. Makes perfect sense.

Turing because a sufficiently advanced AI would enjoy pwning noobs

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
gently caress it I am just going to keep the 1070Ti. Honestly I don't see them launching cards any cards less than $600 anyways. If I am wrong and a Turing 2070 launches at $399 with 30% more performance than my 1070Ti, oh well.

Should be a big step up from my 7870TE. Actually the GTX 1060 6GB I had before was mildly disappointing, about 60-80% faster than my TE which is surprising considering it's basically an overclocked, gimped 7950 from 6 years ago. At least the 1070Ti should be a full 100% faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I'd love to gently caress around with Tensor cores, but their consumer cards probably won't even have them. I wonder if there are private Tensor mining algos out there using Amazon p3 instances to mine.