Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I'm currently running with SLI'd GTX460's (768mb each). Performance is mediocre in AC4 (Averaging 30fps). ARMA 3 tonight was chugging hard (16FPS, though that might have been network stuff)

Would an upgrade to a 660 benefit me as much as I'm imagining? EVGA has two 660 models; one with 2G and one with 3G. Are the differences between 2/3g substantial or should I save a few bucks and go with the cheaper one?

Other stats: i7-860 CPU; 16GB RAM.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you're upgrading for AC4, then no, there wouldn't be much benefit. AC4 is horribly optimized, and even top-end video cards and dual-card setups aren't able to really brute-force through the slowdown in certain areas of the game. The foliage in that game is a killer. And ARMA..... well, ARMA is it's own weird beast. More powerful cards can help, but then you just get weird matches where performance goes in the toilet for no apparent reason.

Thanks. I just did some testing with ARMA and it is running a perfect 60, so it must have been some scripts or something.

I appreciate the info on AC4; the foliage thing makes sense since things are much better at sea.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

So I have a 760 (I actually have 2 760s, but I haven't managed to get SLI working in months -- when I turn it on, the FPS slowly degrades until whatever game I am playing hangs). I'm looking to grab either the 1080 or 1070.

Given that chart from Macau, does this mean the 1080 might be better bang-for-buck, especially if you're not planning to SLI? It looks like it benches about 20% higher than the 1070 in all categories. I'm trying to decide if I want to stalk my local Microcenter this Friday.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

The 1080 is available for Evga Step-Up now, in three variants:

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION (08G-P4-6180-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ACX 3.0 (08G-P4-6181-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (08G-P4-5180-KR) (PDF)

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 27, 2016

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Star Citizen
:suicide: