Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart

Im_Special posted:

So I know I'm going to jinks this now, but yesterdays in the new drivers this caught my eye in the change logs,

So I gave them a try and its been 24 hours or so and no crashing as of yet (on Firefox 25.0). I'm one of the guys who's been stuck on 314.22 for my 560Ti for 6+ months because of unknown crashing/lockup problems, so these might finally be good drivers for people with 400-500 cards.

Strangely, it took a week for driver issues to appear for me and steadily got worse (460). I'll wait, as people running the messed up drivers seem to have damaged their cards in some circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart

Tgent posted:

I have a gtx 460 that randomly freezes my pc on any driver past 314.22, seems to be a known issue going by the geforce forums. So that's fine, I'll just stay on that driver. Except my drivers are updating by themselves to the most recent version and causing the freezing to return. It's not windows update (there's nothing in the update history, and it's set to only check for updates, not install them automatically). Nvidia update is not installed. I see absolutely no part of the driver install process, it's completely invisible which seems bizarre. Does anyone know what the hell is going on here? What could possibly be doing the updating? I'm on windows 8.1 if that affects anything.

Windows Update also updates drivers. Have a look and see if that's whats possibly happening to you.

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart
Bit of advice needed. Looking to possibly use a dedicated graphics card in my HTPC. The processor is an A4-5000 Quad core 1.5 Ghz. Would it be worth using a AMD Radeon HD 7750 in it, or would that be too cpu limited? Case use is light couch gaming at 720p at decent frame rates (steady 30fps).

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart
I'm on a 7950, the price of the 480 is looking pretty good. Would it be worth the upgrade?

Cream fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 30, 2016

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart

Palladium posted:

To be fair, we have no idea whether how widespread this issue is or whether that guy is sincere, or is just an attention seeking troll capitalizing on the fiasco.

But then again, AMD was stupid enough to even let this happen in the first place, by putting a 1x6 pin connector on a >150W TDP RX480 when NV was already putting 2x8 pins on a 1070 that actually draws less than 150W.

6 Pin makes sense if they are going for 'VR POWER for Everyone'. A lot of HP/Dells/Whatever will most likely have a half decent CPU with a shity GPU and only a six pin available.