Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

I like the legend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Space Racist posted:

Yeah, I didn't think so, but after reading some new console rumor roundups and seeing that review all around the same time, my brain just kind of went wild. :shobon: I remember the original Xbox basically used off-the-shelf parts, but that bit Microsoft in the rear end financially later in the Xbox's life.
That was because Nvidia didn't allow them to renegotiate prices for the videocards, even though they were much cheaper after a couple years had passed. It was either MS's failure to put that in the contract, or Nvidia's refusal to renegotiate when they made a new one. (been a while since I heard about it)
It wasn't inherent to the parts being off-the-shelf, as far as I know.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

SocketSeven posted:

So AMD has been advertising this new thing they call TressFX.

http://blogs.amd.com/play/tressfx/

Anyone have thoughts on it yet? Or is everyone still waiting for AMD's official announcement about it?
It seems to pretty blatantly be a proper hair rendering system (so of course some people have called it potentially AMD's version of Speed Tree)
Be nice to have hair that actually acts like hair, not a weird hairlike hat.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Is TressFX actually going to be in Tomb Raider at launch, or did they just make a tech demo using that game?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

TressFX update: maybe if Nvidia had made it it would have been good

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

SocketSeven posted:

I guess I can maintain my "i went with team green" :smug: then? sweet!

Shame these things are never as good as advertised (whatever vendor makes them).
It's not vendor specific, any DX11 card can run it. Badly. My 660 Ti runs the game perfectly smooth at 60FPS unless I enable TressFX, at which point it drops hard. I feel that Nvidia would have (been able to) put more developers on it, so it wouldn't have the absurd FPS hit it does and not have the bugs it has. Her hair rests a good three inches off her shoulders (a model issue probably, but one AMD should have insisted was fixed) and whenever you move it bounces.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Or maybe we should just wait until its refined a bit and more than one game that literally just came out uses it until we make judgements?
As a first impression it's terrible. It looks pretty good if you're standing still in the wind, but it's worse than the normal option if you're actually moving around and it has a massive FPS hit.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Gart posted:

Seems like NVIDIA is having enough trouble getting the game to run without corruption.

NVIDIA posted:

We are aware of performance and stability issues with GeForce GPUs running Tomb Raider with maximum settings. Unfortunately, NVIDIA didn’t receive final game code until this past weekend which substantially decreased stability, image quality and performance over a build we were previously provided. We are working closely with Crystal Dynamics to address and resolve all game issues as quickly as possible.

Please be advised that these issues cannot be completely resolved by an NVIDIA driver. The developer will need to make code changes on their end to fix the issues on GeForce GPUs as well. As a result, we recommend you do not test Tomb Raider until all of the above issues have been resolved.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

So I bought one of the cheap R9 290s with blower coolers off eBay without realizing how loud it would be. It's totally usable during a game, but it's a noticeable kind of noise when the game is quiet. So what's a good aftermarket cooler for an XFX R9 290? I tried checking Newegg but have no idea how to tell which coolers there support it without manually checking the manufacturer's site for every one.
I'm not planning to overclock it or anything so I'd prefer a cooler that isn't hilariously huge.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Well DSR should be more user-friendly, at least.

The one time I tried using a custom resolution I hosed up and had to switch DVI ports to get a usable display.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Brad Wardell explains the difference between DX11 and DX12 like you're a five-year-old.

http://www.littletinyfrogs.com/article/460524/DirectX_11_vs_DirectX_12_oversimplified

Brad Wardell posted:

Cloud computing is, ironically, going to be the biggest beneficiary of DirectX 12. That sounds unintuitive but the fact is, there’s nothing stopping a DirectX 12 enabled machine from fully running VMs on these video cards. Ask your IT manager which they’d rather do? Pop in a new video card or replace the whole box.
I am almost entirely certain there are in fact a lot of things stopping you from running entire VMs on GPUs, unless I'm misunderstanding what he's talking about

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Having a small card is nice but man is it weird to see "4.0fps/inch"

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Windows 10 Pro already is a thing, and I tried that, and it doesn't work.
Display Driver Uninstaller can block GPU driver updates I think, no idea how/if it works since I'm still on 7.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

So are :filez: my only free option for firestrike extreme/ultimate? Would really like to get a proper benchmark. Or is there a way to pick it up on the cheap? Don't feel like spending 20 bucks on a benchmark program.
should've bought it in one of the steam sales for $5

Or newegg has the suspiciously-low-on-details cost of $10 here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800127008 e: oh wait that's 3dmark 11 not the current one. whatever

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Isn't this the guy who released bees in the office after finding out an employee was allergic

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Sulman posted:

The lawsuit that was dismissed and that the plaintiff apologised for? That lawsuit? Or was there another one?
http://kotaku.com/stardock-lawsuits-dropped-ex-employee-apologizes-1377925759
The apology was required by the settlement and he sued her after she filed the lawsuit.
So, sure, she could have been lying and the apology was genuine. Ooooor she couldn't afford to fight Wardell in court.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Truga posted:

To be honest, I never got why gpu drivers are the shitshow they are. If a game dev can't make a game work right, that should be their problem, not AMD/nvidia's. I'm totally for them helping devs make their games work right if they want to, but putting workarounds and dirty hacks into the driver itself is a really really good recipe for a clusterfuck of a GPU driver that's now >100megs in size. :wtc:
If AMD fixes a game's bugs and nVidia doesn't because it's the dev's responsibility, who do you think nVidia owners will be mad at? It's pretty much mandatory for AMD/nVidia to keep doing this.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

r/advancedmicrodevices is the current one.
actually it's /r/ayymd

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Fan curve's gotta be around 50% at 50 C and 100% at 80 C. Hope you have noise cancelling headphones! :getin:
days late, but I have a reference blower R9 290 and with Catalyst set to 52% fan it works fine with only rare minor throttling. Keeps it at around 91*C. It's kind of loud, but not as loud as when a program set the fan to 100% and almost killed me. Doesn't bother me at all with normal headphones on and gaming.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

put a ruler in your case to check the length requirement

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Who designed this graph

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

The card is stupid but there's nothing wrong with the graph.
"Cooling Performance (lower is better)" is a pretty dumb way of saying "temperature", actually.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Recently been noticing a weird issue. Every once in a while scrolling will become much less smooth in everything (Firefox 43 x64 with e10s and layers.async-pan-zoom.enabled, Chrome x64, IntelliJ). Killing Chrome's GPU process will immediately fix this until it happens again.

On an R9 290 with Catalyst 15.11.1, 144Hz refresh rate. Anyone have an idea what the hell is causing this?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Or just buying off eBay. Used instead of refurbished but my ex-dogecoin-mining 290 has been working great for >1 year.

Just avoid reference cooled 290s unless you don't care about noise

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

PirateBob posted:

Thanks but I don't think any of that is an option for someone outside North America.
does ebay not exist in the eu

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

B-Mac posted:

Just keep in mind tiger direct does no returns now so if there is an issue you're stuck dealing with the manufacturer.
Yeah, they're probably going out of business going by the policy change

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

you are invited to the nvidia demoscene feat. wireframe logo

edit: :iiaca:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

But what is a DL TOP?
Deep Learning Tera Op

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

Did Huang accidentally drop Pascal performance?

They seem to be GDDR5 Pascal, so GP104, and they're MMX form factor.
I doubt it, since the performance was being compared between 0 CPU + Titan X vs 12 CPU + Pascal

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

beergod posted:

Do you guys think it is normal to be getting severe FPS drops (like to ~20 FPS in some places) running Fallout 4 with 970s in SLI at 3440x1440p? I get ~70-100 indoors but it is a nightmare sometimes when I'm roaming outside.

Edit: I'm running the game on Ultra but moving to High doesn't seem to affect the FPS at all.
You shouldn't be running FO4 above 60FPS, since its physics simulation is tied to framerate.
Also everything I've heard about FO4 is that poo poo performance is normal. Are you running any mods? Some are supposed to improve performance.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Think I'll pre-order a better GPU instead

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

I don't think they did. They said the Drive PX 2 would have Pascal GPUs, but I don't remember him ever saying "this thing that I am holding up right now has Pascal in it".

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

You should run some monitoring programs that log to disk while you play, check if CPU/GPU looked weird if it happens again.
I had a semi-similar issue when my PSU was failing.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Ozz81 posted:

Some cursory Googling says the R9 290 and other 200 series cards only have HDMI 1.4. Looks like you should be good, from what I found the 1.4 revision supports 1440p up to 80Hz but higher resolutions like 2K/4K cap out around 25-35Hz
2k is 1080p

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

It is if you're using the definition of "1080 lines of vertical resolution progressive scan" which is what I've generally seen

It definitely isn't larger than 1440p.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Marinmo posted:

You're literally sourcing something saying you're wrong and somehow justifying it with that it's smaller than another resolution :confused: To be fair 2K and 4K (et al) is pretty much all marketing speak, and we would be much better off just specifying resolutions unless we're trying to sell a TV.
1. The person I quoted was saying 2K is such a larger resolution than 1440p that you'd go from 80Hz at 1400p to 35Hz at 2K using HDMI
2. 1080p often means "1080 lines of vertical resolution progressive scan". 2K is 2048x1080, it is literally 1080p under that definition

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

What's the best way to test if a GPU overclock is stable? My 980 Ti is showing some visual artifacting in Black Ops 3 but I can't really find any good guides on proper overclocking of a GPU.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

repiv posted:

Interesting take on ROTR CPU scaling at Guru3D. AMD GPU systems perform better with 1 core than 8 cores :psyboom:
How in the world did AMD manage to do this

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Eletriarnation posted:

Isn't it more likely to be bad coding on the part of the game designers, or is that :thejoke:?
They tested with Nvidia and AMD, only AMD showed the issue.

I mean I guess the devs could have done it somehow, but I don't know how

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

If you're trying to run XCOM2 right now, turn off any kind of MSAA/FXAA. Shier current implementation is dogshit and the game will run near 100% fluently on Ultra otherwise. Doing a 4590/290X @ 1440p with those settings and hitting above 60fps regularly. Also turn off vsync, which is also hot garbage.
Does DSR/whatever AMD calls it work for smoothing the picture out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Isn't it all just a fancy name for Supersampling AA?
Not as far as I know. Pretty sure supersampling AA is more complex. DSR is just "render at a higher resolution then downscale for display". So if Xcom 2's AA support is hosed but high resolutions work fine it seems like an easy workaround.

I know some games weren't compatible with supersampling AA but AFAIK everything that can render at high rez works with DSR.